Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2024 | 01:38 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
Please elaborate.
I think my comments are sufficient.
The following 7 users liked this post by jdistefa:
85Gold (08-18-2024), BlueBarchetta (08-17-2024), M_Weining (08-17-2024), NaroEscape (08-19-2024), needmoregarage (08-17-2024), ProCoach (08-17-2024), Veloce Raptor (08-17-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-17-2024 | 01:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Please elaborate.
What's the point? More $#itposting?

Sometimes silence speaks volumes, as it does in this case...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following 6 users liked this post by ProCoach:
85Gold (08-18-2024), BlueBarchetta (08-17-2024), Matt Romanowski (08-17-2024), Mike Roblin (08-17-2024), needmoregarage (08-17-2024), Veloce Raptor (08-17-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-17-2024 | 01:53 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

These problems in PCA and other such social clubs have always been there and will always be there. There's no point yelling at the clouds about it. If someone wants to participate in club activities, it's best to associate with agreeable people, avoid associating with disagreeable people, and not pick fights one can't win. Luigi could have resolved this in his favor by simply biting his tongue when he was disrespected and providing the data. Instead, he escalated a small skirmish with one person into a war with the leadership of an organization, and he lost the war. The organization suffered some damage also, but Luigi gained nothing from inflicting that damage except perhaps some feeling of justice.
Because this wasn’t Todd’s first day at PCA CR and certainly not a wall flower, but an active participant in varying aspects of HIS club. What changed was a not well thought out ruling that he challenged. When the powers that be didn’t like that he exposed it publicly, they decided to punish him for it. Todd was told to just walk away and race elsewhere by many, but Todd’s not all that smart (no offense intended) and his lawyering got in the way.

I love the bottom line, and this entire episode’s bottom line will result in people being less upfront with their medical conditions which is in direct contradiction to what’s supposed to be the desired result. Congratulations, you win the battle but lost the war.
The following 7 users liked this post by multi21:
andredl (08-19-2024), BlueBarchetta (08-17-2024), dgrobs (08-17-2024), DKP 97 C2 Coupe (08-17-2024), Matt Romanowski (08-17-2024), Mike Roblin (08-17-2024), ProCoach (08-17-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-17-2024 | 02:07 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
@dgrobs I completely understand why you approached your situation in the way that you did. And you got the outcome you wanted. Congrats on that. It was your situation and your choice.

But for me…it falls slightly short of “win-win”. Nothing at NNJR has changed (that you know of). The person who disrespected you may continue to do that to other people in the future (and likely will as people don’t tend to change without a lot of reason, and even then…change is tough).

Todd was trying to make a positive change in the organization that would benefit everyone. And he did so knowing that he might end up sacrificing something he loved and received personal joy from. Yes…he cut of his nose to spite his face, but he did so because he refused to tolerate being disrespected and treated in an unfair manner. And he did so (as I interpret) to improve the overall organization, and to stand up for what he believed was right.

Todd lost and PCA “won”. But PCA will continue forward in the very same way that caused them to lose Todd, and now others. And NNJR will continue forward doing the same thing to people, and not everyone will respond the way you did.

And frankly, WHY should you allow someone to treat you disrespectfully, for absolutely no reason? I understand what you wrote, but I could not take that same path. If people don’t stand up to mistreatment, then nothing changes.

Lastly, Todd gave PCA AMPLE time to respond before going public. He states that the issue started on Feb. 27. His first post is dated April 5. Why does that not “count”? Many are critical of Todd’s actions by making it public. Why isn’t anyone critical of PCA for being unable to provide answers in a reasonable period of time? (demonstrated by the weeks of time Todd gave them before going public).

It seems to me PCA was given a fair amount of grace which they squandered.
Whoa there sunshine.
The issue with me was a one off and was clearly of a personal nature towards me and no one else.
The person who sent me those 2 emails is not in any position of power anymore and hence, the behavior will not likely ever be repeated.
Unfortunately for NNJR, I found alternatives at the time, and those alternatives stayed with me, or should I say stayed with them.
What happened to me IS NOT indicative of NNJR as a whole, just happened to be from one person directed at another, and the person doing the directing at the time happened to be in a position of power AT THE TIME. Thats what sent me “shopping”, not NNJR as a whole, just that one person. I still love NNJR and still run and instruct with them quite often. They rock.
Please do not equate NNJR with the actions of one person. NNJR is a great PCA region and will continue to be so for as long as they can. NNJR is an awesome region. Please do not take my ONE experience as a slight on NNJR as a whole. It is not.
Just want to be clear about that.
Old 08-17-2024 | 02:09 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by multi21
Todd’s not all that smart.
Best post so far.
The following 2 users liked this post by jdistefa:
dgrobs (08-17-2024), ProCoach (08-17-2024)
Old 08-17-2024 | 02:10 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Best post so far.
Lol…agreed
Old 08-17-2024 | 02:13 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by multi21
Because this wasn’t Todd’s first day at PCA CR and certainly not a wall flower, but an active participant in varying aspects of HIS club. What changed was a not well thought out ruling that he challenged. When the powers that be didn’t like that he exposed it publicly, they decided to punish him for it. Todd was told to just walk away and race elsewhere by many, but Todd’s not all that smart (no offense intended) and his lawyering got in the way.

I love the bottom line, and this entire episode’s bottom line will result in people being less upfront with their medical conditions which is in direct contradiction to what’s supposed to be the desired result. Congratulations, you win the battle but lost the war.
It should be clear from this thread that I'm not defending PCA, but I recognize that their CR forms and their policies empower them to do pretty much whatever they want without having to justify it. That's the reality PCA members need to deal with.

I doubt that the medical clearance makes any significant difference for racing safety anyway, so it doesn't much matter whether people lie on the forms. We have no real medical clearance required for DE, despite street cars being driven very fast by relatively inexperienced drivers with passengers (instructors) in the right seat, and no evidence that medical issues are a significant factor in DE crashes.
Old 08-17-2024 | 02:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

We have no real medical clearance required for DE, despite street cars being driven very fast by relatively inexperienced drivers with passengers (instructors) in the right seat, and no evidence that medical issues are a significant factor in DE crashes.
How do you know that?
The following 2 users liked this post by ProCoach:
dgrobs (08-17-2024), Mike Roblin (08-17-2024)
Old 08-17-2024 | 02:28 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
How do you know that?
Was about to ask the same thing.
Depending on what is considered a “medical” condition, I think that there are “conditions” that lead to crashes in DE.
Is “red mist” caused by a “medical condition”?….
Old 08-17-2024 | 02:29 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
How do you know that?
Experience, including investigating incidents.

It's also common sense. If people have health issues which would impair their ability to drive on track, they'll likely not try to drive on track, or they'll dial it back if they do, or others will notice their driving erratically and they'll be taken off the track. Driving on track is a totally voluntary high-intensity activity, and people generally won't do it if they don't feel up to it.
Old 08-17-2024 | 02:32 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

It's also common sense. If people have health issues which would impair their ability to drive on track, they'll likely not try to drive on track.

Driving on track is a totally voluntary high-intensity activity, and people generally won't do it if they don't feel up to it.
2 of the funniest things you’ve ever posted.
No, I can’t elaborate. Sorry.
The following 4 users liked this post by dgrobs:
Matt Romanowski (08-17-2024), ProCoach (08-17-2024), thebishman (08-18-2024), Veloce Raptor (08-17-2024)
Old 08-17-2024 | 03:33 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

I can offhand think of three significant medical incidents that came up for three different drivers on track. Two resulted in significant crashes (in the third the driver was able to safely pull off to await assistance). I'd imagine there are more such incidents.
The following 2 users liked this post by stownsen914:
Matt Romanowski (08-17-2024), ProCoach (08-17-2024)
Old 08-17-2024 | 03:41 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stownsen914
I can offhand think of three significant medical incidents that came up for three different drivers on track. Two resulted in significant crashes (in the third the driver was able to safely pull off to await assistance). I'd imagine there are more such incidents.
Of course there will be some crashes where health issues were a contributing factor. But in what percentage of crashes were health issues a contributing factor? And what effect does or would medical screening have in preventing those crashes? We shouldn’t be expending resources in doing screening if there’s no evidence of a safety benefit.

Bigger concern in my mind is drivers who slept poorly, dehydrated, tired from being in the car too long, worn down from heat, etc. Screening won’t address that.
Old 08-17-2024 | 03:48 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Of course there will be some crashes where health issues were a contributing factor. But in what percentage of crashes were health issues a contributing factor? And what effect does or would medical screening have in preventing those crashes? We shouldn’t be expending resources in doing screening if there’s no evidence of a safety benefit.

Bigger concern in my mind is drivers who slept poorly, dehydrated, tired from being in the car too long, worn down from heat, etc. Screening won’t address that.
Not what you first said.
You went from “no crashes” to “some crashes”.

Regarding that same point:

Would someone driving and instructing 10 straight days at Watkins Glen be a cause for concern regarding the potential for crashing at a DE, especially towards the end of those 10 days, say day 8 or 9?
Old 08-17-2024 | 03:50 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

This is so full of BS. You're argument is just showing how absurd this ruling is. Dehydration is a problem for racers as much as DE drivers, maybe more so.

Or what about the (well regarded) regions who have leadership that brag about closing the bar the night before an event?

A mild OSA patient wearing a mouth appliance is not what we need to be worrying about. We need to worry about how someone is penalized for a mistake. Is it a new definition of "The PCA chop?"
The following 4 users liked this post by Matt Romanowski:
Mahler9th (08-17-2024), multi21 (08-18-2024), ProCoach (08-17-2024), Veloce Raptor (08-17-2024)

Quick Reply: PCA medical committee revoked my race license