Formula 1 - 2024 Season

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2024, 12:58 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,474 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
Even though I know it is for the "newer" fanbase, I have enjoyed DTS and have binged 6 episodes already... glad to see they have Claire Williams doing some of the commentary- always liked her, and being a #23 fan hope they can punch above their weight again this year!
I'm about halfway through it now and have to say it's kept my interest. It's surreal looking at 4 team bosses that are not there anymore (Franz, Binotto, Steiner and Otmar). I would have bet that Binotto would have been with a new team by now having satisfied his gardening leave period, but being up in the Dolomites and sitting in his vineyard looks like a very nice life indeed and he has minimal gray hairs!

Gunther is a different story altogether. The way he spoke during the 2023 season just told you he was done with HAAS and maybe even F1 altogether. Then I read this yesterday and suspected that there was more to the story than just going a different direction as the choice was not made after the season by Gene Haas but rather early in 2024.

Dutch journalist Jack Plooij shared insights on the altercation between Günther Steiner and Haas. He recounted the heated exchange between the two parties:
“Günther and I spoke at the beginning of the week, but we weren't allowed to ask how it actually went with Haas and what he would do. But then he sent me a message, allowing me to tell what happened."
“Günther found a 20 million sponsor, but told Gene Haas he wanted shares in the team to stay and continue the relationship. Haas however did not accept this, and so Steiner himself left the team.”
VIA: [formulapassion.it]
Old 02-25-2024, 01:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,306 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21
Gunther is a different story altogether. The way he spoke during the 2023 season just told you he was done with HAAS and maybe even F1 altogether. Then I read this yesterday and suspected that there was more to the story than just going a different direction as the choice was not made after the season by Gene Haas but rather early in 2024.

Dutch journalist Jack Plooij shared insights on the altercation between Günther Steiner and Haas. He recounted the heated exchange between the two parties:
“Günther and I spoke at the beginning of the week, but we weren't allowed to ask how it actually went with Haas and what he would do. But then he sent me a message, allowing me to tell what happened."
“Günther found a 20 million sponsor, but told Gene Haas he wanted shares in the team to stay and continue the relationship. Haas however did not accept this, and so Steiner himself left the team.”
VIA: [formulapassion.it]
I remember some kerfuffle about Gunther reportedly in discussions about becoming "part owner" in the team, then Haas supposedly rapidly walking that back. It may have even been back closer to 2021-2022, after the team crisis.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-25-2024, 05:43 PM
Rig.Stunts
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 80 Posts

Trying to get past swarmy Christian 'Horny' Horner in DTS s6. Generally less racing and more soap opera?

I predict this year could be five percent less boring than last. Hopefully reality proves me wrong . . .
Old 02-25-2024, 06:49 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 911 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Sometimes stuff just breaks.

RedBull have completely reworked the cooling package of their car this year.

I am not saying the RedBull is going to blow up several times during the season. I am just saying they are due for one of two mechanical DNFs.
Well, "one or two mechanical DNFs" are a lot different than the "reliability problems" @StoogeMoe is predicting. You both made it sound like systemic reliability problems were coming for Red Bull and I wanted to know the basis for this conclusion. I already said that odds are Red Bull will be less reliable than last year based on Max's perfect record last year. But, there is nothing Red Bull has changed that suggest they are suddenly going to have reliability problems.
Old 02-25-2024, 08:15 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 106 Posts

Well, my reasoning is that RB is going to feel the heat more from behind, with Ferrari, McLaren, and Mercedes making significant advances. That is going to force them out of their conservative engine mappings and such, and are going to be pushing the equipment harder. That’s when the weak points start showing. The bullet proof drivetrain might not be so reliable as we witnessed last season. We shall see…
Old 02-25-2024, 09:09 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,561 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Well, "one or two mechanical DNFs" are a lot different than the "reliability problems" @StoogeMoe is predicting. You both made it sound like systemic reliability problems were coming for Red Bull and I wanted to know the basis for this conclusion. I already said that odds are Red Bull will be less reliable than last year based on Max's perfect record last year. But, there is nothing Red Bull has changed that suggest they are suddenly going to have reliability problems.
To me two mechanical DNFs is a "reliability problem".

Back in 2016 Lewis had one ill-timed DNF due to an engine failure with five races to go and directly because of it Nico won the WDC.

That said I still have Max as the overwhelming favorite to to win the WDC. I just have the feeling it will not be the cake walk last season was.

Old 02-25-2024, 09:31 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 911 Likes on 445 Posts

To me two mechanical DNFs is a "reliability problem".

Back in 2016 Lewis had one ill-timed DNF due to an engine failure with five races to go and directly because of it Nico won the WDC.

That said I still have Max as the overwhelming favorite to to win the WDC. I just have the feeling it will not be the cake walk last season was.
No team has perfect reliability every year....and no, it does not mean there is a reliability problem. It can mean that is a reliability problem, but, correlation does not imply causation...
Old 02-26-2024, 07:28 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 962 Likes on 586 Posts

https://racer.com/2024/02/26/wayne-t...ic-appearance/

Not about 2024, but this is a pretty neat story... hope the link works.
Old 02-27-2024, 06:45 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Programing note:

The first two races in Bahrain and SA will be run on Saturday, not Sunday, and broadcast in the US on Saturday morning due to the start of Ramadan.
The following users liked this post:
TRACKD (02-27-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 01:18 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,392 Likes on 1,928 Posts

The other shoe is about to drop:

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...ore-bahrain-gp
Old 02-27-2024, 05:10 PM
Formulabob
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 32 Posts

And now back to racing. I believe Mercedes was sandbagging and very likely will be a strong contender for best best of the rest. At any given race, Mercedes, or McLaren, or Ferrari could push Max. Good drives from Perez will be necessary to ease the pressure on Max. Nevertheless, Max is the best driver and in the best car but will Horner’s plight and the Red Bull power struggle sabotage the F1 teams season?
Old 02-27-2024, 05:51 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 171 Posts

Ford is also involved in the Horner investigation ... they have zero tolerance for any sexual or abusive misconduct by their associates and they will have their word to say wether Horner keeps his job
or gets the boot !
From all the evidence that is now publically known, it doesn't look good for him.
Should be an interesting season with Sainz being kept out the critical Ferrari team meetings and i'm sure Hamilton will be left out as well as soon as MB confirms their driver for 2025.

Just sayin ...

OK, back to racing as well , only two more days to go !

Cheers
Phil
Old 02-27-2024, 06:15 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,561 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcat077
....From all the evidence that is now publically known, ....
What evidence?
The following 3 users liked this post by Carlo_Carrera:
Mike Roblin (02-28-2024), Wild1 (02-27-2024), winders (02-27-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 06:59 PM
Estoril
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

What evidence?
The is no publicly known evidence. I hope all the people who are so eager to judge would be okay with being judged under similar allegations in the same rush-to-judgement way.
The following 6 users liked this post by Estoril:
500 (02-28-2024), Carlo_Carrera (02-27-2024), ldamelio (02-27-2024), Mike Roblin (02-28-2024), Wild1 (02-27-2024), winders (02-27-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-27-2024, 07:06 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

With respect to “back to racing” off track issues/circumstances have always has been part of F1. Whether Horner stays or goes, it will directly impact the results on track, maybe not immediately, but given how dominant RBR have been, keeping the band together will be imperative.

With regard to Ford, quite frankly, who cares? They haven’t done anything in F1 since the sale of Jaguar and coming in now and puffing their chest out to like they’re entitled to something is a joke. Their photo op is over.
The following 4 users liked this post by multi21:
500 (02-28-2024), ldamelio (02-27-2024), LuigiVampa (02-27-2024), Wild1 (02-27-2024)

Quick Reply: Formula 1 - 2024 Season