Formula 1 - 2024 Season

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 05:32 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,517 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Will they still be testing at Barcelona?
No. They only test in Bahrain these days. The Barcelona weather was too unpredictable and often too cold.
Old 01-26-2024, 12:29 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 421 Likes on 245 Posts

McLaren just locked up Norris past 2026. Wise move imho.
The following users liked this post:
Carlo_Carrera (01-26-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 02:03 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
All that means is outrageous prices and no commoner will be attending the race. Glad we are doing Barcelona this year to say we went.
same thing we saw in Vegas. you have to mortgage your house to attend the race. no thanks!

goin2drt (01-26-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 02:09 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,103 Likes on 1,838 Posts

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
same thing we saw in Vegas. you have to mortgage your house to attend the race. no thanks!
I did podium club for four people in Montreal last year. The amount I spent on the tickets, hotel, food, etc., was equal to the down payment on my first house a little over 25 years ago.
Old 01-26-2024, 04:17 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I did podium club for four people in Montreal last year. The amount I spent on the tickets, hotel, food, etc., was equal to the down payment on my first house a little over 25 years ago.
Was it worth it?

I did the same a few years ago and felt it was.

I had done other GPs with grandstand seats and was disappointed.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 01-26-2024 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-26-2024, 05:05 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Was it worth it?

I did the same a few years ago and felt it was.

I had done other GPs with grandstand seats and was disappointed.
To be honest - it was. My family, who can take or leave F1 or other forms of racing, are asking when we will do it again.

Every day was awesome from start to finish - all puns intended.
The following 3 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
Carlo_Carrera (01-26-2024), skl (01-26-2024), thebishman (01-27-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 12:58 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts

How times change. F1 and F2 used be casual less extravagant affairs. A friend of mine and a classmate went to a race in the 60's. After the race they were walking around and saw some mechanics struggling to load a car. They had no idea whose. They offered to help. The crew told my friend to get in and steer while the rest of them pushed. And so my friend helped steer the car onto the transporter.

Turns out my friend was steering Jim Clark's car..

How cool is that?
The following 7 users liked this post by dan212:
500 (01-28-2024), Carlo_Carrera (01-27-2024), gbuff (01-27-2024), LuigiVampa (01-27-2024), ProCoach (01-27-2024), skl (01-28-2024), thebishman (01-28-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-27-2024, 02:30 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
How times change. F1 and F2 used be casual less extravagant affairs. A friend of mine and a classmate went to a race in the 60's. After the race they were walking around and saw some mechanics struggling to load a car. They had no idea whose. They offered to help. The crew told my friend to get in and steer while the rest of them pushed. And so my friend helped steer the car onto the transporter.

Turns out my friend was steering Jim Clark's car..

How cool is that?
REALLY cool, Dan.

'Course, it helps that Moss and Clark were my racing idols as a kid....
Old 01-27-2024, 05:32 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
REALLY cool, Dan.

'Course, it helps that Moss and Clark were my racing idols as a kid....
Moss was a real man. I love his implied comments and sometimes no so implied about how racing today is just too safe...basically "buck up buttercup!" To die of old age as a storied racer from the time when a mistake ment death is an incredible accomplishment. Today they let people like me race almost risk-free....the sport has become so diminished.
Old 01-27-2024, 05:55 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Moss was a real man. I love his implied comments and sometimes no so implied about how racing today is just too safe...basically "buck up buttercup!" To die of old age as a storied racer from the time when a mistake ment death is an incredible accomplishment. Today they let people like me race almost risk-free....the sport has become so diminished.
So how many F1 drivers should die racing every year for you to consider them all real "men"?
Old 01-27-2024, 06:13 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

So how many F1 drivers should die racing every year for you to consider them all real "men"?
I think the lack of respect we sometimes see between drivers, with some "too close racing", is emblematic of the decreased risk which comes with a shunt.

You can't deny that there is less on the line. The further back in time you go the bigger the ***** it took to compete.
skl (01-28-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 07:49 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
One year for Christmas as a kid I received a Strombecker 1/32-scale slot-car set that was "Endorsed by Stirling Moss"...the two cars in the set were a red pontoon-fender TestaRossa and a BRG Jag D-Type with the big fin in the back. Priceless.....never forgot those cars and got myself an E-Type (XKE) later in life.
The following 2 users liked this post by gbuff:
Carlo_Carrera (01-27-2024), thebishman (01-28-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 07:54 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I think the lack of respect we sometimes see between drivers, with some "too close racing", is emblematic of the decreased risk which comes with a shunt.

You can't deny that there is less on the line. The further back in time you go the bigger the ***** it took to compete.
You can consider it big *****, I consider it an undeveloped prefrontal cortex or denial or stupidity or insanity.

The drivers I most respect in F1 history are the ones who fought for driver safety, Stewart, Lauda, Prost, etc. Drivers known for their intellect on and off the track. To me they are the the real "men".

The drivers I don't respect are the ones who created the current atmosphere of racing via bulling. The king of which, and the most responsible for the current situation, Senna died on track. Not smart IMHO.
Old 01-27-2024, 08:45 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

You can consider it big *****, I consider it an undeveloped prefrontal cortex or denial or stupidity or insanity.

The drivers I most respect in F1 history are the ones who fought for driver safety, Stewart, Lauda, Prost, etc. Drivers known for their intellect on and off the track. To me they are the the real "men".

The drivers I don't respect are the ones who created the current atmosphere of racing via bulling. The king of which, and the most responsible for the current situation, Senna died on track. Not smart IMHO.
What wasn't clear in my post is that I agree with you. I'm just saying there is a different risk between now and in the past.

Consider Jackie Stewart, who famously championed for safety. He was going to finish he career at 100 races but when his teammate and protege, Francois Cevert, died at Watkins Glen, Stewart retired at 99 races.

​​​​​​​You don't really hear about anyone citing safety as a reason to retire these days.

Carlo_Carrera (01-28-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 10:06 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Consider Jackie Stewart, who famously championed for safety.
Yes, he did, as Mid-Ohio found out.

From MotorSport Magazine, Nov.'71:

They don’t love Jackie Stewart at Laguna SCCA, or the motoring writer of the San Francisco Chronicle doesn’t. That paper pointed out last month that at the Mid-Ohio Raceway for a Can-Am event Stewart cost the track owners a small fortune in alterations to a circuit which has a good safety record. He “didn’t like some trees here, a dirt bank there, or the arrangement of some guard rails”. His opinions were backed by Hulme and Revson but, according to this reporter, the rest of the drivers supported the SCCA’s ruling that the track was safe. Stewart refused to start unless the alterations were made, and as Mid-Ohio had billed him to appear they spent the night complying with Stewart’s requests.

Quick Reply: Formula 1 - 2024 Season