Sponsored by:

Is the sport in trouble

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2022, 02:11 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by aryork
So you didn't read the article - figures. And the result of the PCA/PCNA issue is/was? My dealer has covered my car when I told them I was at a track event, as have hundreds, probably thousands, of others.

Wait, you are saying that you know two people who had accidents NOT at a track, but were denied because they were driving back from an event? If so, sorry, but that's complete bullchit and/or the dudes did not tell you the entire story.
have to agree something does not sound right, my insurance agent told me I was not covered on the racing surface but I am covered while at a race track, for example in the paddock - fortunately I have not had to test this with an actual claim. if you have an accident on the road, where you driving to or from is irrelevant and I would not personally share that with an insurance company.
The following 2 users liked this post by tgibrit:
aryork (10-17-2022), ProCoach (10-17-2022)
Old 10-17-2022, 02:48 PM
Yellow996
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Is there a post from someone where they claim their warranty was voided just because they tracked the car? I'd say that needs a fact check. If true, they probably had a tune or modified the car with non-OEM parts. Here's a good Hagerty article:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/w...track-driving/
"So, track use does not automatically void the warranty. However, non-OEM vehicle modification..."
I'm sorry, but you and the Hagerty article are incorrect and misinformed..

PCNA has denied claims on cars which are totally stock for being used on track. In some instances, they covered the warranty claim with a stipulation that the balance of the warranty was voided but that the repair was covered as a "goodwill gesture." A non-disclosure was required by PCNA. The regional rep for PCNA even pulled Motorsportreg.com info as well as quotes from the involved party that he made on Rennlist and other forums about his HPDE experience.

My suggestion to anyone who has a warranty claim denied or their warranty cancelled by PCNA for HPDE use is to fight like hell, be well-documented and keep escalating the matter.

Last edited by Yellow996; 10-17-2022 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-17-2022, 03:26 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow996
I'm sorry, but you and the Hagerty article are incorrect and misinformed..

PCNA has denied claims on cars which are totally stock for being used on track. in some instances, they covered the warranty claim with a stipulation that the balance of the warranty was voided but that the repair was covered as a "goodwill gesture." A non-disclosure was required by PCNA. The regional rep for PCNA even pulled Motorsportreg.com info as well as quotes from the involved party that he made on Rennlist and other forums about his HPDE experience.

My suggestion to anyone who has a warranty claim denied or their warranty cancelled by PCNA for HPDE use is to fight like hell, be well-documented and keep escalating the matter.
Sorry, but unless it happened to you, then it's secondhand information which is almost always incomplete at best and sometimes wrong. We are probably talking around one another, though. There are lots of subtleties to the conversation like original warranty or CPO, history of the owner, and prior repairs, etc. come into play. If Porsche says you are 'abusing' the car, whether on track or not, they can deny a claim. If you modded the car and then reversed the mod for the warranty claim, they will probably figure it out and may deny it. Some P warranties say "racing or driving events may not be covered." The keyword is 'may.'

Does the Porsche warranty cover track use? - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Does warranty cover 991.2 GT3 track usage? - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Tracking Porsches and Warranty - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

One of these threads says someone was denied a warranty claim due to non-OEM tires. That's the kind of folklore that gets around. Who knows what the details of the situation were. If it is true and if the claim was for something non-tire/wheel and non-suspension related, I would bet the car showed signs of 'abuse' of some sort. If the claim was for a wheel hub and he had slicks on, then I can see a denial could be plausible and defendable by the dealer. The devil is in the details.

Old 10-17-2022, 03:58 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 791 Posts

What do y'all think is the best oil to use?
The following 4 users liked this post by Veloce Raptor:
George from MD (10-18-2022), Mike Roblin (10-17-2022), pro1200 (10-17-2022), ProCoach (10-17-2022)
Old 10-17-2022, 04:04 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 566 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Motul. Use anything else and your engine will blow up.
I read it on Rennlist so it must be true....

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

The following 2 users liked this post by NaroEscape:
Papamurphdog (10-18-2022), txhokie4life (10-18-2022)
Old 10-17-2022, 04:08 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 265 Posts

Olive Oyl
Old 10-17-2022, 04:16 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,473 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Next up for discussion:

Tires
Brake pads
Tire pressure
Blinker fluid
Lipstick cameras
The following 3 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
ANGST (10-18-2022), aryork (10-17-2022), Papamurphdog (10-18-2022)
Old 10-17-2022, 04:36 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 800 Likes on 397 Posts

Driven
Performance Friction
17 psi cold
Not used
SmartyCam
Old 10-17-2022, 04:39 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by hbdunn
55 and mostly cloudy right now.
There is a discount code for Friday. If you don't have it let me know.
PM sent
Old 10-17-2022, 04:40 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 333 Posts

Suggest you do a web search. This has been confirmed for Subaru and Mitsubishi, they were combing entry lists and denying warranty claims on STI, WRX's and Evo's.
Old 10-17-2022, 06:19 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 284 Likes on 177 Posts

Was that lipstick or cameras?
What about hp vs. torque?
Old 10-17-2022, 07:15 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
Suggest you do a web search. This has been confirmed for Subaru and Mitsubishi, they were combing entry lists and denying warranty claims on STI, WRX's and Evo's.
There was also a recent case regarding a Toyota GR86, where a blown engine due to excess sealant blocking the oil pickup was denied warranty as the car was seen at an autocross.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo.../197902/page1/

Resolved after social media sources highlighted the issue.
Old 10-17-2022, 07:24 PM
Yellow996
Rennlist Member

Sorry, but unless it happened to you, then it's secondhand information which is almost always incomplete at best and sometimes wrong. We are probably talking around one another, though. There are lots of subtleties to the conversation like original warranty or CPO, history of the owner, and prior repairs, etc. come into play. If Porsche says you are 'abusing' the car, whether on track or not, they can deny a claim. If you modded the car and then reversed the mod for the warranty claim, they will probably figure it out and may deny it. Some P warranties say "racing or driving events may not be covered." The keyword is 'may.'

Does the Porsche warranty cover track use? - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Does warranty cover 991.2 GT3 track usage? - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Tracking Porsches and Warranty - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

One of these threads says someone was denied a warranty claim due to non-OEM tires. That's the kind of folklore that gets around. Who knows what the details of the situation were. If it is true and if the claim was for something non-tire/wheel and non-suspension related, I would bet the car showed signs of 'abuse' of some sort. If the claim was for a wheel hub and he had slicks on, then I can see a denial could be plausible and defendable by the dealer. The devil is in the details.

Dear Clueless:

It DID happen to me. A $27,000 PDK replacement that PCNA tried to weasel out of covering because they said the car was driven on track and therefore voided the warranty. I cajoled, threatened, negotiated and this was the resolution after FOUR months of not having my car:

PCNA supplied parts.

Dealer covered labor.

The balance of my warranty was rendered void.

Had car repaired and traded it in on my Turbo S.

Happy now???

(By the way, the threats worked best.)

Old 10-17-2022, 09:30 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,473 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow996
Dear Clueless:

It DID happen to me. A $27,000 PDK replacement that PCNA tried to weasel out of covering because they said the car was driven on track and therefore voided the warranty. I cajoled, threatened, negotiated and this was the resolution after FOUR months of not having my car:

PCNA supplied parts.

Dealer covered labor.

The balance of my warranty was rendered void.

Had car repaired and traded it in on my Turbo S.

Happy now???

(By the way, the threats worked best.)
What profession helps with threats like that? Who is skilled to provide guidance when a big bad company is trying to take something from you?

As someone who has sat on both sides of the table I will tell everyone (no surprise here) that large corporations will get away with what they can until there is pushback.

To those saying "this never happened" another thing you will learn is that many times there is not a universal policy even in large companies. It is who is handling the matter. I'm sure David's story is true.

You think large company policies are handled efficiently or consistently? LOL!
Old 10-17-2022, 10:02 PM
Yellow996
Rennlist Member

I'm not a lawyer, but I AM an obnoxious stock broker. Same thing.

Quick Reply: Is the sport in trouble