Sponsored by:

Anticipation of pass?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 08:18 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,435 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by 69911s
One thing that I may have missed in this thread is the first thing that came into my head. Did you go and talk to the other driver? Especially if this is in your home area and run group, these are the folks you'll be driving with for the most part for quite a while assuming somewhat similar promotion rates. I find that if I check my ego and just go and have a straightforward conversation with another driver that we begin to understand each other, build relationships and create the predictability that you'll need when you get to the faster run groups. Done right, you'll probably gain a new beer drinking buddy for the end of the day or figure out a car to avoid at all costs on the track, and the latter has rarely happened to me. So far we've only gotten one side of the story and there are always at least three (yours, mine and the truth). He may have a good explanation or he may just say that he came up on you faster than he realized. Either way someone gains a little more SA, always good to have on the track.

i did not talk to the other driver. I was kinda hot and didnt think it was a good idea. I did let an experienced person in the region know what had happened along with my instructor from the day before. I did try to line up farther back in the next few sessions, hoping to not hold up the group in the first couple of laps. I am pretty sure he figured out he screwed up and adjusted his driving as i didnt have any other issues with him. I doubt i will see him again as i drove over 7hrs to attend this event.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:08 PM
Berringer
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
I'm assuming you mean "give the point TO the inside of the turn"....many, but not all, PCA regions I've driven with want points given in the direction of the upcoming turn, which puts the faster car on the inside of the turn.

I just finished an event that used PCA Expanded Passing in the advanced run groups and points were allowed on either side.
Sorry, yes. I assumed some semantics in my comment aided by The Balvenie I’m pretty sure every group allows points to either side, but I was saying to give the overtaking car the apex.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:51 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Originally Posted by Berringer
Sorry, yes. I assumed some semantics in my comment aided by The Balvenie I’m pretty sure every group allows points to either side, but I was saying to give the overtaking car the apex.
PCA wants you pointing in the direction of the upcoming corner, just as gbuff said.
Doesn’t always work out that way, but that’s what they expect and convey at the morning meetings. They do it that way for safety.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (04-25-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 11:11 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

PCA need to extend passing to include braking zone. Passing in braking zone prior to turn in helps the traffic flow.

most likely a faster driver will out brake and take corner at 2-3mph faster so better for both faster and slower driver with passing in breaking zone.
obviously this would only be for the two most advanced groups.
Old 04-25-2021, 11:55 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,852 Posts

You know, people forget what it's like to start out in this sport. They also forget how daunting and cautious they were when learning new tracks far from home, or even those close to home.

A little kindness and courtesy goes a long way...

Sure, we've all seen the lines blur between what used to be the standard DE protocol of designated passing zones, then progressing to "passing in the straights only," finally to "passing anywhere with a point."

Of course, it's easy to make the leap from "pass anywhere with a point," to where you think you saw a point and take it, when there might not have been one...

I do get impatient and annoyed with DE and track day people who complain about being "held up" or "having their lap ruined."

It's all about them, rather than managing the situation and choreographing a successful pass or passes.

Go real racing, if you can't be disciplined, courteous or safe about it in a DE. But don't bitch when two Cup cars split you at the entrance to a brake zone, or even through or at a corner exit.

I hate that the OP even felt the need to come to this community with this experience and ask the question in the first place. They shouldn't have had to. We've all been where they are. /rantoff
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following 5 users liked this post by ProCoach:
dgrobs (04-25-2021), Matt Lane (04-26-2021), matttheboatman (04-26-2021), MattUF (04-26-2021), roadie13 (04-25-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 12:23 PM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
I doubt i will see him again as i drove over 7hrs to attend this event.
You may! I see some of the same cars (and great new friends) from VIR, Sebring, and points in between :-) VIR is a 10 hour drive for me so I only go once per year, wish I was closer :-)

Old 04-25-2021, 03:49 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem
PCA need to extend passing to include braking zone.
If your group is running PCA "Extended Passing" you can pass anywhere on the track with a point. Draw a line down the middle of the track, anywhere, and each of you stay on your side. If the faster car doesn't want to take the pass, signal the slower car and don't take it. Simple.

Last edited by gbuff; 04-25-2021 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-25-2021, 03:57 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Don't bitch when two Cup cars split you at the entrance to a brake zone, or even through or at a corner exit.
That's the stuff I live for, Peter, and in my car I've experienced just that (cars may vary but....) on many occasions. Give and get thumbs up!!

The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (04-25-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 05:08 PM
Berringer
Instructor

Originally Posted by dgrobs
PCA wants you pointing in the direction of the upcoming corner, just as gbuff said.
Doesn’t always work out that way, but that’s what they expect and convey at the morning meetings. They do it that way for safety.
perhaps we should stop staying PCA because this must be a regional thing. The message has never changed in my region in many many years. That is: lead car keeps line, passing imitation and completion in the straight, passer goes off line to make pass. Also, we’re not talking about extended passing groups we’re talking about OP level groups, Green and Blue.
Old 04-25-2021, 05:10 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Berringer
perhaps we should stop staying PCA because this must be a regional thing. The message has never changed in my region in many many years. That is: lead car keeps line, passing imitation and completion in the straight, passer goes off line to make pass. Also, we’re not talking about extended passing groups we’re talking about OP level groups, Green and Blue.
Run group doesn’t make a difference. Unless it’s a very late pass in an extended passing group , which is what I run in, they want you giving the point in the direction of the upcoming corner. Don’t know too many PCA regions that do it otherwise. My $.02
Old 04-25-2021, 05:20 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 390 Posts

Best thing to do is do David Murry events where it is all advanced drivers and pass anywhere anytime and don't worry about point by's. Or just do races instead of HPDE. If you go to a HPDE, you have to know it will be slower and you need more patience. We all started out as beginners.
Old 04-25-2021, 05:31 PM
Berringer
Instructor

Run group doesn’t make a difference. Unless it’s a very late pass in an extended passing group , which is what I run in, they want you giving the point in the direction of the upcoming corner. Don’t know too many PCA regions that do it otherwise. My $.02
Thanks for the lesson, I just gave you three regions by the way, per my example. Here’s your change..$.01.
Should probably be a different thread, but the topic is borderline whiny, so forget it. Arguing someone’s stated experience doesn’t make you right and them wrong.
Old 04-25-2021, 05:31 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 888 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by joejenie
Best thing to do is do David Murry events where it is all advanced drivers and pass anywhere anytime and don't worry about point by's. Or just do races instead of HPDE. If you go to a HPDE, you have to know it will be slower and you need more patience. We all started out as beginners.
Yep.....I hate DEs because of the point by crap.
Old 04-25-2021, 06:19 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

The last advanced DE I ran was in conjunction with a clubrace. DE'ers in the advanced passing group were advised that they could pass anywhere on the track with a pointby but passing was on the LH side only regarless of which way the turn went: i.e.no arm extension pointing over the top of the car, straight arm only.
Old 04-25-2021, 06:25 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
The last advanced DE I ran was in conjunction with a clubrace. DE'ers in the advanced passing group were advised that they could pass anywhere on the track with a pointby but passing was on the LH side only regarless of which way the turn went: i.e.no arm extension pointing over the top of the car, straight arm only.
Wow never heard of that. All passing on the left? I guess that would be track dependent. I can think of plenty of corners at the tracks I run where I will neither give nor take a late pass on the left unless it was to avoid an impact. Again, a late pass. Late pass coming into the bus stop at WGI on they left? Late pass on the left coming into the Roller Coaster at VIR? Interesting. Might wanna try that someday. Would def make for some very interesting late passes.

Quick Reply: Anticipation of pass?