Sponsored by:

Anticipation of pass?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 11:57 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

A little clarification? I wish that PCA would have standardized run group colors years ago. Most of the regions that I ran with when I started 20 years ago used Green, Blue, White, Black and Red. Green obviously started with novices who might get signed off to solo at some point during events before being moved to Blue. Blue was a little more aggressive and at some point you would get to solo but only for the event. Each event would still start with an instructor. Once you reached White you were pretty much on your own unless you found an instructor to go out with you or you were getting a checkout to move up to black. Some regions now split blue into two. One instructed and one solo. Is that what your blue and yellow are? I'm also not sure what you mean by riding your a$$. Are we talking inches or a car length?

Old 04-23-2021, 01:14 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

You may just be paying for the sins of others, but if it’s happening repeatedly some self reflection is warranted. Taking the faster car’s POV, it shouldn’t always be their burden to compromise the lap to manage traffic. Check your mirror early-midway through the straight and if you see a faster car coming up, back off early enough to allow them to complete the pass before the turn. It’s imperative to do this early as often the point by is too late to complete a safe pass, where now both cars are off-line and confused as to the other driver’s intentions.

Last edited by jayzbird; 04-23-2021 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:26 AM
argonaut95
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the jungle. If you keep at this hobby and advance to faster run groups in the coming years you are going to see some crazy ****. This kind of stuff happens a lot. A common problem is you have an advanced driver in a fast car who for whatever reason is running in a slower run group and they fail to adjust - a lot of clubs allow passes with no point bye in highest group and its expected that the slower car get out of the way (aka: Chin). You also have relatively new drivers in very fast cars that just don't have the experience to understand there is no need to be so aggressive or those who don't understand the subtlety and art of setting up a pass. Regardless of track etiquette or what 'should' happen - the reality is things like this will always occur at track days - you will get use to them (or you could buy your own GT4...LOL).
Old 04-23-2021, 09:40 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,435 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
I'm also not sure what you mean by riding your a$$. Are we talking inches or a car length?

we r talking close enough that he had to dive bomb under me in the corner as i was braking on the outside apron on a right hander. I was on line and being predictable.

i do know i have to get better but there has to be balance in a group of novices that have 500hp cars with nanny controls and analog 300hp cars. I know that my abilities will develop quicker because of my cars limitations.

trust me dont want to slow anyones lap but its gonna happen when people r grouped soley on experience and not the car. As much is its a teaching moment for me to get better at allowing passes, it needs to be a teaching moment for the faster car behind me.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:52 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Point the car behind you by sooner.

Don't drive your mirrors.

You don't have to wait till he's right on your bumper.

Give him a point as soon as you see him approaching, even from a distance, and make it a VERY CLEAR point by.

At that point, with your arm still out your window, he can catch you, you can lift if necessary, and BAMM!, he's by you before you even turn in.

You do not have to wait for that approaching car to be right on your bumper to give your point. Do it earlier, lift if necessary, and get him by BEFORE the next corner.

If you are driving your mirrors because the car behind you is very close, that means you are not driving your line. That is not a good thing.

As soon as you see the car approaching you from behind, get your arm out the window and get him by BEFORE the next turn in.

Will be much more enjoyable for both of you.

My $.02
The following 4 users liked this post by dgrobs:
BFT3.2 (04-28-2021), mhm993 (04-25-2021), phefner (05-16-2021), Robert Nixon (04-23-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 09:59 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by argonaut95
a lot of clubs allow passes with no point bye in highest group and its expected that the slower car get out of the way (aka: Chin).
Bad example, as I've been driving with Chin since 2004 and in their "highest" group (Red) since 2007. In my experience they have ALWAYS required a point-by for a pass. In ALL groups.

As far as "the slower car getting out of the way" in ANY group that is one of the easiest ways to cause contact. If you've got a rocketship coming behind you, you stay where you are and point them by. Don't try to be a good guy and anticipate where they're going to go because they may end up in your trunk (or engine compartment).

And don't forget to WATCH THE CORNER WORKERS for giving you blue flags. At a track like Mid-O with blind corners you can get a blue flag, look in your mirror and see nothing. Then TWO SECONDS LATER the Space Shuttle is on your bumper.

Last edited by gbuff; 04-23-2021 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:10 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gbuff
Bad example, as I've been driving with Chin since 2004 and in their "highest" group (Red) since 2007. In my experience they have ALWAYS required a point-by for a pass. In ALL groups.

As far as "the slower car getting out of the way" in ANY group that is one of the easiest ways to cause contact. If you've got a rocketship coming behind you, you stay where you are and point them by. Don't try to be a good guy and anticipate where they're going to go because they may end up in your trunk.
G, we need to do a point by video, me and you.

I will stay behind you for a session (probably just set the cruise control on 65..lol) and I will have video of you pointing all the cars by.

I will point them by and then you can point them by, and we'll video that for an entire session.

Would be a great learning tool for someone like the OP as how to give quick, timely, and safe point by's.

Nobody gives a better point than you (and that's a good thing), and there are a lot of folks who could learn from your means and methods.

I have no problem giving up a session to make that video. (Not to mention that you'd be the undisputed point by king of Rennlist, a rock star. The chicas will be throwing their bras into your car).

I say we do it as an instructional video for novices.

What say you?
Old 04-23-2021, 10:13 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
G, we need to do a point by video, me and you.

I will stay behind you for a session (probably just set the cruise control on 65..lol) and I will have video of you pointing all the cars by.

I will point them by and then you can point them by, and we'll video that for an entire session.

Would be a great learning tool for someone like the OP as how to give quick, timely, and safe point by's.

Nobody gives a better point than you (and that's a good thing), and there are a lot of folks who could learn from your means and methods.

I have no problem giving up a session to make that video. (Not to mention that you'd be the undisputed point by king of Rennlist, a rock star. The chicas will be throwing their bras into your car).

I say we do it as an instructional video for novices.

What say you?
I'll have to ask the Min as she's awfully camera-shy
Old 04-23-2021, 10:18 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

I'll have to ask the Min as she's awfully camera-shy
You see that racecar in your avatar giving you that timely point by just as you guys are coming out of that corner? See how quickly he got you by? That's what we need to video.

Your Min will also be a rock star once that video goes viral.

CI's will be using the video for years to come with their novices in the classroom.

We'll be famous, like Peter K and Matt R here on RL. Chicks will be hanging all over us. We'll never have to buy another drink at The Seneca Bar.

We should do this video as soon as possible. I see a bright future ahead for us once it goes viral.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:20 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
You see that racecar in your avatar giving you that timely point by just as you guys are coming out of that corner? See how quickly he got you by? That's what we need to video.

Your Min will also be a rock star once that video goes viral.

CI's will be using the video for years to come with their novices in the classroom.

We'll be famous, like Peter K and Matt R here on RL. Chicks will be hanging all over us. We'll never have to buy another drink at The Seneca Bar.

We should do this video as soon as possible. I see a bright future ahead for us once it goes viral.
B, I'm already famous from the old Niagara training video--bless Rich D's heart
Old 04-23-2021, 10:23 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

B, I'm already famous from the old Niagara training video--bless Rich D's heart
Yes, forgot about that.

This new video will bring you right back to fame and fortune...
Old 04-23-2021, 10:27 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

This Mini looks familiar.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:31 AM
Robert Nixon
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts

this is a great discussion, and I think the OP answered his concerns very well " now i just drive my line and try to be predictable."
The following 2 users liked this post by Robert Nixon:
Berringer (04-24-2021), dgrobs (04-25-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 10:32 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Yup, Gbuff is a Point By Rock Star..........
Old 04-23-2021, 10:47 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
Thanks Bill, I'm famous once more!

Have track, will point......anywhere!

Quick Reply: Anticipation of pass?