Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anticipation of pass?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2021 | 03:45 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Textbook well mannered pass on the mini. IMHO - This is a common place for a faster car to take a point by.

Also - Notice the faster car recognized the much slower mini going up the esses and eased off a bit rather than running up on the mini surprised by the closing rate.

And notice how the Mini was well aware of faster car and let it by with minimal impact on flow. On either car.

At no point was the faster car crowding the people being passed. Very polite.

I know the mini too. Drives the wheels off that car and is very aware of flow of traffic around him.

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman

Last edited by dan212; 04-23-2021 at 07:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gbuff (04-23-2021)
Old 04-23-2021 | 03:52 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

My friend Van Svenson posted this video 9 years ago to show examples of good and bad passing etiquette.
I am the loud blue car in the very beginning. Yes, he pointed me by in a turn. Red group rules. Van also knew me and my car. He knew that I would pass and be gone in a flash. Not suggesting this for novice or intermediate group.

Van posted this to show how drivers can work together.

Showing bad etiquette by white GT3 that pushed him off the track. That was in white group. Not cool.

Van is driving a momentum car with no power. If he looses pace, it never comes back.
And believe me Van is used to being passed and how to keep traffic moving.

Last edited by dan212; 04-23-2021 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-23-2021 | 04:34 PM
Robert Nixon
Racer

maybe not a "technique" but if there is mis-communication on track about the point-bys it's worth having a talk directly with the other driver...or have your instructor do it...or talk to the event organizer, whatever gets the job done and prevents the same from happening again. Maybe the other driver has a different take on it, better to resolve it instead of "assuming" one way or the other.
Old 04-23-2021 | 04:44 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dan212
Textbook well mannered pass on the mini. IMHO - This is a common place for a faster car to take a point by.

Also - Notice the faster car recognized the much slower mini going up the esses and eased off a bit rather than running up on the mini by getting surprised by the closing rate.

And notice how the Mini was well aware of faster car and let it by with minimal impact on flow. Of either car.

At no point was the faster car crowding the people being passed. Very polite.

I know the mini too. Drives the wheels off that car and is very aware of flow of traffic around him.
Thanks Dan, hope to see you this year!

Gary
dan212 (04-23-2021)
Old 04-23-2021 | 04:52 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dan212
My friend Van Svenson posted this video 9 years ago to show examples of good and bad passing etiquette.
I am the loud blue car in the very beginning. Yes, he pointed me by in a turn. Red group rules. Van also knew me and my car. He knew that I would pass and be gone in a flash. Not suggesting this for novice or intermediate group.

Van posted this to show how drivers can work together.

The white GT3 that pushed him off the track was in white group. Not cool.

Van is driving a momentum car with no power. If he looses pace, it never comes back.
And believe me Van is used to being passed and how to keep traffic moving.

Passing Étiquette
That white Mini looks familiar.....
Old 04-23-2021 | 07:09 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

You betcha !!!
Waiting for new trailer to come and then Ann and I will come out of our Covid cocoon!

Originally Posted by gbuff
Thanks Dan, hope to see you this year!

Gary
Old 04-23-2021 | 08:51 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Ok, enough talk about the freakin Mini.
Buff is an awesome driver. I’ve been on track with him a hundred times, but enough already with the freakin Mini. Geesh.

BTW G, I just ordered a Cooper S MT from Mini of Ramsey. Build time to dealer is 6 weeks. Mods will take 2 weeks. Very minimal mods. Pretty much alignment and slicks and pads.
My Mini will be on track with you in June.
I am counting on you to right seat me and teach me how to track that little go kart.

No, I am not kidding. It’s a done deal. We’ll talk.

Old 04-23-2021 | 09:11 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Buff is an awesome driver. I’ve been on track with him a hundred times, but enough already with the freakin Mini. Geesh.
I know, it IS ridiculous, isn't it?

Last edited by gbuff; 04-23-2021 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-23-2021 | 09:14 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

BTW G, I just ordered a Cooper S MT from Mini of Ramsey. Build time to dealer is 6 weeks. Mods will take 2 weeks. Very minimal mods. Pretty much alignment and slicks and pads.
I am counting on you to right seat me and teach me how to track that little go kart.

Hah! If I do that I'll be honking into my closed-face helmet and balaclava, a fate worse than death. MUCH worse.

It WILL be cool to have another one out there though.....given the way you learned to drive that Green MaCheen in short order (emphasis on DRIVE), I don't see a problem with you leaving me for dead before long!

Last edited by gbuff; 04-23-2021 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-23-2021 | 09:15 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

I know, it IS ridiculous, isn't it?
Ridiculous enough that I’m gonna be tracking one with you this June and beyond.

I am one fuked up dude every now and then.

Old 04-23-2021 | 09:24 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Ridiculous enough that I’m gonna be tracking one with you this June and beyond.

I am one fuked up dude every now and then.
Well, I can steal a line and say a splendid time is guaranteed for YOU
Old 04-23-2021 | 11:52 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Well, I can steal a line and say a splendid time is guaranteed for YOU
For the benefit of mr kite there will be a show tonight on trampoline......
Old 04-24-2021 | 01:35 AM
Berringer
Instructor

In regard to this topic, but not wanting to derail the conversation... I can remember starting out and going to my first Chin event as opposed to PCA and being blown away by the fact that they were teaching how to give the point in the inside of a turn. I remember thinking “This is so much better and teaching that at the get go was skill changing”. Wonder if there is a thread on here about that? Anyway, sure wish PCA could get on board with that. Would have solved OP’s drama for sure.
Old 04-24-2021 | 02:45 PM
69911s
Rennlist Member

One thing that I may have missed in this thread is the first thing that came into my head. Did you go and talk to the other driver? Especially if this is in your home area and run group, these are the folks you'll be driving with for the most part for quite a while assuming somewhat similar promotion rates. I find that if I check my ego and just go and have a straightforward conversation with another driver that we begin to understand each other, build relationships and create the predictability that you'll need when you get to the faster run groups. Done right, you'll probably gain a new beer drinking buddy for the end of the day or figure out a car to avoid at all costs on the track, and the latter has rarely happened to me. So far we've only gotten one side of the story and there are always at least three (yours, mine and the truth). He may have a good explanation or he may just say that he came up on you faster than he realized. Either way someone gains a little more SA, always good to have on the track.
Old 04-24-2021 | 04:22 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Berringer
In regard to this topic, but not wanting to derail the conversation... I can remember starting out and going to my first Chin event as opposed to PCA and being blown away by the fact that they were teaching how to give the point in the inside of a turn. I remember thinking “This is so much better and teaching that at the get go was skill changing”. Wonder if there is a thread on here about that? Anyway, sure wish PCA could get on board with that. Would have solved OP’s drama for sure.
I'm assuming you mean "give the point TO the inside of the turn"....many, but not all, PCA regions I've driven with want points given in the direction of the upcoming turn, which puts the faster car on the inside of the turn.

I just finished an event that used PCA Expanded Passing in the advanced run groups and points were allowed on either side.
Berringer (04-24-2021)

Quick Reply: Anticipation of pass?