Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Presented by Mercedes the Mercedes Formula Mercedes Tour Brought to you by Mercedes

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 09:39 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

I'm thinking the car has a hell of a lot to do with it. ROS as team mate wins WDC. BOT is consistently just behind HAM especially this season. What I'd like to see is VET as HAM's team mate. 50:50.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:04 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,532 Likes on 2,578 Posts

My opinion is somewhere around the average of you guys. In the Ferrari, I think Lewis would do somewhat better than Seb and Charles, but not a lot better. I don't think he'd be a contender for WDC in the Ferrari either last season or this season.

Bottas started the season well and seemed like he believed he could beat Lewis, but lately he seems resigned to the idea that he can't beat Lewis.

How amazing would it be to put ALL of these guys in the SAME car for a few races and see what happens?
Old 06-23-2019, 10:14 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,445 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
I don't buy your assessment of Hamilton's driving ability. Last year he clearly stole 2 races from Ferrari by driving better than a superior car. Silverstone in the rain he forced Vettel into a mistake while coming up hard from behind. Monza he simply bullied his way around Vettel again and also passed Kimster to steal the Ferrari home race. The Italian news headline called him "Schumultin" He's good and definitely has the team and car to walk away with the WC . His rain races have always showed him to excell, which is a sign of driver ability more than car. I wish Ferrari would get their crap together to make it interesting at least and please give Red Bull 50 more whp.
Originally Posted by Akunob
Really?! I doubt Hamilton ‘falls to pieces’, he’s faced challenges in the past and has shown the ability to take it all in stride. He’s just utterly dominant right now. I said the above about Hamilton in the #5 because of how well LeClerc is handling the identical sister car to Vettel’s. Hamilton is clearly a much better driver than LeClerc so I have to believe he does much better in the Ferrari, which would put the Ferrari in contention with Hamilton behind the wheel.

It’s said that a driver’s greatness isn’t ever fully appreciated while they are active but once they hang it up and history takes a measure of their accomplishments, it truly gets the respect it deserves. Just saying that Hamilton could likely drive the #5 Ferrari much better than Vettel currently is.
Maybe Hammy has grown but when he was with McLaren and broke up with his girlfriend his driving fell. I don't doubt that he is the best driver on the grid, and probably one of the best of all time, but he has never had to struggle for seasons in an inferior car, and I wonder how he would hold up if that ever happened.

Feel free to call me out in 2021 if he is still at Mercedes and they lose their dominance but he still wins. I could be wrong! I just wonder how he would hold up.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:54 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 110 Posts

Boy such haters. If you don't like the racing in F1, then don't watch.

I'm going to keep watching until Hulkenburg gets on the podium.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:58 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe

Does he have a son?
Old 06-23-2019, 11:21 PM
Akunob
Race Car

Received 898 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
My opinion is somewhere around the average of you guys. In the Ferrari, I think Lewis would do somewhat better than Seb and Charles, but not a lot better. I don't think he'd be a contender for WDC in the Ferrari either last season or this season.

Bottas started the season well and seemed like he believed he could beat Lewis, but lately he seems resigned to the idea that he can't beat Lewis.

How amazing would it be to put ALL of these guys in the SAME car for a few races and see what happens?
Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Maybe Hammy has grown but when he was with McLaren and broke up with his girlfriend his driving fell. I don't doubt that he is the best driver on the grid, and probably one of the best of all time, but he has never had to struggle for seasons in an inferior car, and I wonder how he would hold up if that ever happened.

Feel free to call me out in 2021 if he is still at Mercedes and they lose their dominance but he still wins. I could be wrong! I just wonder how he would hold up.
Agree I would love to see all drivers on the grid in equal machinery...2021

Let’s be fair, the Ferrari isn’t an inferior car. Vettel and LeClerc have lost quite a few races to a combination of mental/unforced errors, mechanical issues and pit/crew miscues. C’mon now, let’s not call the Ferrari an inferior car! McLaren Hamilton and Mercedes Hamilton are same guy...he’s grown & matured over the years.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:36 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,445 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe

I will continue to watch but am hoping for better races and a Hulkenberg podium as well.

Originally Posted by Coochas
Does he have a son?
Shots fired!
Old 06-24-2019, 12:46 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Maybe we need more in car feeds like some of the endurance races. Instead, we are stuck with Sky Sports and their feed of the Merc2 "battle" versus the Shah of the Clerks. Meanwhile, the actual action is when Norris' car pooped the hydraulics and there was some actual passing. ACTUAL PASSING YOU SAY IN F1. HOLY SMOKES! CAN'T BE! Then there were more penalties; SWEET!

I said it in OT. I was away from F1 for some time, and watching racing generally, but this is too much. The most recent endurance race was 400 million times more entertaining. Look at the stands in France at the Start/Finish. Probably 30% full. F1 is making their money on TV revenue, but that too will end when the new audience realizes how utterly lame this "sport" has become.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:11 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,900 Likes on 978 Posts

Even Hamilton had a hard time getting excited about that win.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:15 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

I personally don't think Hamilton falls to pieces as others have mentioned. He has proven in the past to have an uncanny ability to deliver when it is really necessary regardless of external factors. The guy can crash in FP2, miss an entire session, lose time in FP3 and then magically pull a lap out of absolutely nowhere almost at will that silences everyone. His ability in the wet is surpassed only by Max at this point. I just don't see a better all around driver at the moment and very few better all around drivers in the history of F1.

Say what you want about the car but the majority of champions tend to win in the strongest cars... Seb at RB, Michael at Ferrari, they all dominated when their cars were dominating. Nico was consistently bitch smacked by Lewis, if it weren't for one season where Lewis blows a few motors Nico is never a champ. Lewis beat Alonso arguably in his prime in equal cars. He is now pretty handily dominating VB. Everyone always says throw anyone in a Mercedes and they will dominate but VB has been fighting a few positions back and sometimes 30 seconds behind Lewis in the same car...

Ferrari is not the inferior car everyone makes it out to be either. If it weren't for mechanical, driver and strategy errors they probably have at least 3 wins this year... Hasn't Ferrari been faster in the speed traps as well?

Personally I love to F*ck with the Hamilton haters online... Putting pins in all their arguments and watching them start to get personal about Hamilton and his fans is hysterical to me. Getting political now so watch out but I also have to say, when you watch the demographics of where the blatant racism comes from it's pretty eye opening... You can actually see the racism trends globally online and can almost predict where someone is posting from based on their comments. The further into Eastern Europe and into the Middle East you go it is just flat out racism against the guy. Some of the comments from Ferrari's Middle East fans show the mental disparity around the globe... It's scary and sad. F1 chooses to live in total denial unlike other sports that have recognized the problem though. FIFA being one of them that has a very vocal "Say No to Racism" campaign... I am not saying everyone who hates Hamilton is a racist either, that would be stupid but to deny that a good deal of the hate is blatant racism is also stupid IMO. It's too obvious to ignore it, deny it or sweep it under the rug.

Yep, I said it....
The following 2 users liked this post by Paul Solk:
DTMiller (06-24-2019), thebishman (07-03-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 10:23 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
I personally don't think Hamilton falls to pieces as others have mentioned. He has proven in the past to have an uncanny ability to deliver when it is really necessary regardless of external factors. The guy can crash in FP2, miss an entire session, lose time in FP3 and then magically pull a lap out of absolutely nowhere almost at will that silences everyone. His ability in the wet is surpassed only by Max at this point. I just don't see a better all around driver at the moment and very few better all around drivers in the history of F1.

Say what you want about the car but the majority of champions tend to win in the strongest cars... Seb at RB, Michael at Ferrari, they all dominated when their cars were dominating. Nico was consistently bitch smacked by Lewis, if it weren't for one season where Lewis blows a few motors Nico is never a champ. Lewis beat Alonso arguably in his prime in equal cars. He is now pretty handily dominating VB. Everyone always says throw anyone in a Mercedes and they will dominate but VB has been fighting a few positions back and sometimes 30 seconds behind Lewis in the same car...

Ferrari is not the inferior car everyone makes it out to be either. If it weren't for mechanical, driver and strategy errors they probably have at least 3 wins this year... Hasn't Ferrari been faster in the speed traps as well?

Personally I love to F*ck with the Hamilton haters online... Putting pins in all their arguments and watching them start to get personal about Hamilton and his fans is hysterical to me. Getting political now so watch out but I also have to say, when you watch the demographics of where the blatant racism comes from it's pretty eye opening... You can actually see the racism trends globally online and can almost predict where someone is posting from based on their comments. The further into Eastern Europe and into the Middle East you go it is just flat out racism against the guy. Some of the comments from Ferrari's Middle East fans show the mental disparity around the globe... It's scary and sad. F1 chooses to live in total denial unlike other sports that have recognized the problem though. FIFA being one of them that has a very vocal "Say No to Racism" campaign... I am not saying everyone who hates Hamilton is a racist either, that would be stupid but to deny that a good deal of the hate is blatant racism is also stupid IMO. It's too obvious to ignore it, deny it or sweep it under the rug.

Yep, I said it....
Yesssssssss...... what would the worldwide reaction have been had Hamilton stopped in parc ferme and then swapped the 1st and 2nd place boards. I suspect it would have been different.
The following users liked this post:
Paul Solk (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 10:29 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Yesssssssss...... what would the worldwide reaction have been had Hamilton stopped in parc ferme and then swapped the 1st and 2nd place boards. I suspect it would have been different.
If Lewis would have started going on about how he had no where else to go on the radio, gone straight to his trailer after an incident like that, then swapped the place boards the fallout would have been MASSIVE! The insults and comments would never stop... Seb however is somehow a hero for it.

Yeah, I've been calling BS on this in F1 for years but hey, that's just me
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (07-03-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 10:31 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
If Lewis would have started going on about how he had no where else to go on the radio, gone straight to his trailer after an incident like that, then swapped the place boards the fallout would have been MASSIVE! The insults and comments would never stop... Seb however is somehow a hero for it.

Yeah, I've been calling BS on this in F1 for years but hey, that's just me
Old 06-24-2019, 10:35 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,532 Likes on 2,578 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
I lost respect for Lewis because of some things he's done in the past, but I think he's maturing as a person, and I agree that he's sometimes overly demonized (yes, race could be a factor). He definitely would have been crucified if he pulled a Seb and swapped the 1st and 2nd place boards. And I lost further respect for Seb when he did that too, it was utterly impulsive and childish, not at all becoming of a multi-WDC.

I also agree that Lewis' ability as a driver is undeniable, and he may actually currently be the best driver on the grid (by a small but meaningful margin). I've been rooting for Valteri because he seems like a gentlemen and I often root for the underdog, but he just hasn't been able to match Lewis.

Nico did manage to beat Lewis, but yes luck was a bit of a factor, and it took so much out of Nico to do it that he retired from the sport!!
Old 06-24-2019, 10:37 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Good article: Interesting only Lewis and Hulkenburg showed up...
Hamilton was one of two current drivers, along with Nico Hulkenberg, who attended an F1 rules summit in Paris two weeks ago - in which the deadline to finalise the next overhaul was delayed - and candidly told reporters in France on Sunday night that what he saw was "really not good".

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...YtSOg21AkQ_HOM

Quick Reply: Presented by Mercedes the Mercedes Formula Mercedes Tour Brought to you by Mercedes