Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Presented by Mercedes the Mercedes Formula Mercedes Tour Brought to you by Mercedes (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1142658-presented-by-mercedes-the-mercedes-formula-mercedes-tour-brought-to-you-by-mercedes.html)

DTMiller 05-12-2019 10:51 AM

Presented by Mercedes the Mercedes Formula Mercedes Tour Brought to you by Mercedes

Looks like another exhibition today.

David993S 05-12-2019 11:57 AM

Their 5th 1-2 finish this season...…...so far. I may quit watching F1. Boring.

PGas32 05-12-2019 12:03 PM

Snooze-fest. Almost as bad as listening to Lewis talk about what a challenge it's been this season...

Coochas 05-12-2019 12:18 PM

I had such high hopes for this season but it is perhaps the most boring season of the Mercedes era. So little going on in the back of the field too.

LuigiVampa 05-12-2019 12:20 PM

Love the thread title!

Originally Posted by PGas32 (Post 15835314)
Snooze-fest. Almost as bad as listening to Lewis talk about what a challenge it's been this season...

Challenge for him against Bottas. Ferrari could do something if they would stop stepping on their own d*&k!

Red Bull, who are arguably weaker than Ferrari, are getting their podiums on driving and strategy. Ferrari is doing neither.

dgrobs 05-12-2019 12:38 PM

Meh. Not the most exciting race I've ever watched. Prolly should slept in this morning.

Nice thread title Dave...

multi21 05-12-2019 04:13 PM

In other news... the sun came up in the east once again....

I've stopped watching altogether. The only way I'll watch another race is if I see chatter on this page from others saying what a good race it was and then watch it on ESPN App, otherwise I have better things to do on a Sunday morning.

I did watch the Indy race yesterday on the road course in dry/wet conditions.... what a race!!

Leica356 05-12-2019 05:13 PM

F1? I remember that!

ABusLux 05-12-2019 05:35 PM

It was quite boring; not even the safety car period helped spice things up. And up next, the little train in Monaco.

LuigiVampa 05-12-2019 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by ABusLux (Post 15835985)
It was quite boring; not even the safety car period helped spice things up. And up next, the little train in Monaco.

At least they occasionally pan to some hot chicks in bikinis.

Also, don't they still have the grid girls even though they attempt not to show them as much on TV?

enduro911 05-12-2019 08:07 PM

The sport is in serious trouble, IMO. In the current state of affairs (drivers where they are, rules as they are, budgets as they are, politics as they are), there is no hope of anything ever changing. Too much has been solidified and tedium will be the end result. We need another set of major rule changes. When the sport went to the more expensive engines, among other things, the midfield teams got too far out over their financial skis. I doubt those teams want another change which will mandate more R&D and have more downside potential for them than upside. The teams that are spending the most to get the best results are running near the front and feel like they have a shot at winning under the current regulations. Thus, they don't want change either. The only group who does and is suffering are fans.

However, it seems that, as in the political spectrum, people will blindly defend anything coming from a particular group or entity. In this case, that entity is Formula 1. The technology, which is the only partially valid argument they can muster, is quite advanced. I have just enough of a mathematical background to understand and follow some of the aero technology. I don't think the average fan has that and even for me this is not enough, by itself, to justify watching the sport. Are people really supposed to care these advancements even though they are not visible to the naked eye, too secretive to be discussed, and too impractical to be implemented in the current set of road cars? I'm probably young compared to some of you, but I have been watching F1 for roughly 20 years now (and have gone back and watched previous seasons prior to that). I am now, for the first time in my life, spending my time elsewhere. I'd be interested to see what motivates everyone else to keep watching.

Veloce Raptor 05-12-2019 09:01 PM

I haven't watched in years, since the cars began sounding like UPS trucks

LuigiVampa 05-12-2019 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor (Post 15836306)
I haven't watched in years, since the cars began sounding like UPS trucks

This wished they sounded like a UPS truck! I can hear mine coming down the block.

wanna911 05-12-2019 11:02 PM

By and large, the racing hasn't been consistently good since the refueling ban. And even then people complained about single file parade laps. More tech, less racing, that's how it goes.

For what it is, I'm happy to watch Lewis win more of everything and Leclerc eventually surpass Vettel as number one at Ferrari.

sbelles 05-12-2019 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by wanna911 (Post 15836478)
By and large, the racing hasn't been consistently good since the refueling ban. And even then people complained about single file parade laps. More tech, less racing, that's how it goes.

For what it is, I'm happy to watch Lewis win more of everything and Leclerc eventually surpass Vettel as number one at Ferrari.

F1 hasn't been consistently good since the 70s but I don't see it recovering any time soon. I think their business model has about played itself out, What are the Monégasque going to do if F1 folds though? All they will have is the yacht show.

Meanwhile, the Indy cars had a really good race yesterday.