Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 07:06 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
greg,

how long does hoosiers last, in terms of mile or hours?
easy to warm up?
i fear that i will sooner or later move the the dark side of hoohoos.
John,
In temps over 65 the Hoosier are warm in a lap if you drive at 80% the first lap, can't warm up a tire by "cruising" around.
Yes the Hoosier don't last quit as long but if your car is set up correctly for them I don't think they deserve the rap that they are a one day or one weekend tire. i would usually get two weekends (race and qualifying) out of a set and then make them my practice tires. The later versions seem to not fall off nearly as bad as the s03's did.

The Michelin's may have tread on them long after they are done, the hoosier usually don't make you guess if they are done as you will see the cords showing!
Old 03-05-2006, 07:34 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
I had MPSC's on my 993 (2800lbs) and ran pretty good at Road Atlanta in 03. But when I took them to Putnam I was way off the mark at least 1.5 seconds slower than I ran on the Hoosiers.
One thing I learned on the MPSC's is that they created some very intense high speed oversteer situation and in slow corners they really wanted to push. Turn 12 at Road Atlanta was one example. After using them for a few races I gave up on them and went much faster on the Hoosiers.
I don't think there is any question that the Hoosiers are faster, but the MPSCs wear like iron. I normally toss them while there is still tread on them, as the really loose any stickness after 40 or so heat cycles. I am planning to try Hoosiers for at least one race this year just to see how much I am giving up to my fellow D classers.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:22 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

colin, you are right on with my exp.
my cups last about 40 cycles. but by 35th cycle or so, i can feel they are going away slowly.

they always still got more tread left, they usually die due to harnening for me.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:08 PM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch236
It's very easy to get the MPSC's dialed in. Get their handout. In it, they describe the method. I followed it and it worked like a charm. I am going by memory but this is what I remember.

You want 32 front and 36 rear hot pressures.
You've got it, Mictch. 32/36 hot. Exactly. Terrific tires.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:19 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Bah on the "wear like iron" MPSCs. I've been torching them in <15 heat cycles. I was also commended at the Road America race by the Michelin crew as the only guy they had tested that weekend that actually got them up to operating temperatures...
Old 03-05-2006, 09:20 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
colin, you are right on with my exp.
my cups last about 40 cycles. but by 35th cycle or so, i can feel they are going away slowly.

they always still got more tread left, they usually die due to harnening for me.
Exactly, 35 and done, although there is plenty of tread. But, 35-40 cycles ain't bad. I have never seen the cords on an MPSC before discarding them.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:45 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Bah on the "wear like iron" MPSCs. I've been torching them in <15 heat cycles. I was also commended at the Road America race by the Michelin crew as the only guy they had tested that weekend that actually got them up to operating temperatures...
Of course you do....with a 3400lb Tubbo (all in) and 350 rwhp, your wear should be a bit more acellerated, no? Sorry to hear you were running with such a passive groups at RA!

It is realtive wear I am referring to...what do you find your wear with Hoosiers to be?

Last edited by Bull; 03-05-2006 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:59 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
I don't think there is any question that the Hoosiers are faster, but the MPSCs wear like iron. I normally toss them while there is still tread on them, as the really loose any stickness after 40 or so heat cycles. I am planning to try Hoosiers for at least one race this year just to see how much I am giving up to my fellow D classers.

Do it sooner rather than later so you don't kick yourself for not doing it sooner.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:13 AM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

What does Michelin consider "operating temperatures"? The best I can get out of my MPSC is 175 degrees front and 183 degrees rear. This is on a 2750lbs (soon to be 2650lbs ) car.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:54 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

We had a couple of Michelin Reps attend a Tech session and they mostly concentrated on the MPSCs. Their presentation indicated that 180 - 220 degrees is ideal. They later said that the tires will actually work well from 160 - 220 degrees. I have never found it difficult to get the tires in their performance range of 180- -220, or to do that with the tires at the recommended 32/36 hot pressures. Unlike some other R-compound tires, I have to star them out no higher than 25/28 psi when cold.

I did once forget to check my pressures at Mosport the first time out (late arrival, etc. ) and went out at street pressures. THEN they were almost undriveable!
Old 03-06-2006, 10:00 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanS911
Nice Mitch, well thought out. and well said as usual.

Don't forget one thing folks, if your car weighs less than 2700lbs you will likely NOT ever get your Cups dialed in and will no doubt spend lots of time spinning.

These tires when cold have little to no feedback and let go with a treacherous abruptness. Ask me how I know!
Since my car weighs in at 3050 without fuel, I never experienced not being able to get them up to temp. But even here in Florida, we get some cold days and if you are careful in the first two laps and then push them they do get up to temp and are quite good. Of course, cold here is about 40 so take that into consideration.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:10 AM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
We had a couple of Michelin Reps attend a Tech session and they mostly concentrated on the MPSCs. Their presentation indicated that 180 - 220 degrees is ideal. They later said that the tires will actually work well from 160 - 220 degrees. I have never found it difficult to get the tires in their performance range of 180- -220, or to do that with the tires at the recommended 32/36 hot pressures. Unlike some other R-compound tires, I have to star them out no higher than 25/28 psi when cold.

I did once forget to check my pressures at Mosport the first time out (late arrival, etc. ) and went out at street pressures. THEN they were almost undriveable!
I find it takes some work to get those temps on the cooler days (what Flordia considers 'cold', Canadians call 'cool' ), but my car is also a bit lighter. I wouldn't call them treacherous though. Just not as grippy.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:19 PM
buckdr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

James, Give me a shout @ work!
bill@american-machinery.com
Bill
Old 03-06-2006, 04:02 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Good stuff Dr. J. I am seeing only a little better wear with 3000 lbs on the car. Hoosier is definitely faster by 1 sec plus at Summit Point, but they fall off as they get too hot and oh (&%$# moments apply. I found the MPSC's to be fussy, but what isn't in racing? Getting up to temp requires some sliding on my 993. Not sure if I am seeing 170 deg, maybe 150 when checked, but that is not a quick pit check, so 20 degs is not out of the order for a true hot lap temp.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:49 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Goddam 38D your avatar is distracting!!! I think you are subliminally hypnotising us as we stare endlessly at those things. How much wear do you get out of them and what is their lifespan? I'd love to know what they grip like!!!!

Quick Reply: Toyo RA1 Vs MPSC