Sponsored by:

Toyo RA1 Vs MPSC

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 08:02 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kgorman
You guys all trailering or do you drive to the event on MPSC as well?
Trailering. If I remember, I'll go outside tonight and take some pics of my current tires.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:56 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is at the track, so no trailering needed. For other tracks, the car is trailered. I think I'm going to let my next set cure for a while to see if I get better results.

George
Old 05-22-2006, 12:02 AM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ressurecting the thread with a new data point:
I was at the NASA TT event at Miller Motorsports Park this weekend. My fastest time on MPSC's was a 3:34:??. I corded the outsideedge of my rr MPSC. I put on shaved, non-heat cycled RA-1's. The Toyo's are indeed very greasy when new. My best lap with the new tires was a 3:54:??. I didn't go out again, they are resting overnight - hopefully they will be a LOT better tomorrow. I'll try and get a time and report it here.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:49 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 806 Likes on 408 Posts

Last week I scrubbed some full tread RA-1s in at the Glen for use as a rain tire. Best times were in the 2:15s. Put on my tried and true MPSCs and did a 2:10.75. The RA-1s may be good as a rain tire, but they stink in the dry when pushed (at least at full tread).
Old 05-22-2006, 08:46 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Last week I scrubbed some full tread RA-1s in at the Glen for use as a rain tire. Best times were in the 2:15s. Put on my tried and true MPSCs and did a 2:10.75. The RA-1s may be good as a rain tire, but they stink in the dry when pushed (at least at full tread).
It should also be pointed oiut that your MPSCs had, what 10+ heat cycles on them when you ran the 2:10. My point being that they were not new.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:14 AM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Full tread, that isn't suprising. Toyo's have to be shaved for dry track use. At 8/32nds it is a rain only tire for anybody driving above snails pace. At 4/32nds they are right there with MPSC, imho
Old 05-22-2006, 10:57 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Buck
Full tread, that isn't suprising. Toyo's have to be shaved for dry track use. At 8/32nds it is a rain only tire for anybody driving above snails pace. At 4/32nds they are right there with MPSC, imho
I disagree. Plenty of people drive them full tread in the dry. Maybe you lose 1-2 secs on a 90-second course, but that's a compromise that some of us accept in order to get some additional tire life.

Last edited by TheOtherEric; 05-22-2006 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:47 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've run both on different cars. I like the Toyos and think they are a great overall tire for Autocrossing and road course events. They aren't the grippiest tire for either. They seem pretty consistant cold to hot with decent turnin and breakaway smoothly at the limit. They do all this at a bargain price. The only disadvantage for those of us with 18" wheels is there are so few tire sizes. If you are looking to get the best lap times at the track (particularly when it is hot), go with the MPSC's. They work best with some heat in them and are tolerable of hotter southern summer temps. A third choice would be the Pirelli P-Zero Corsa. They are very similar to the MPSC's, but go away quickly when they get really hot.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:45 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These tires when cold have little to no feedback and let go with a treacherous abruptness. Ask me how I know!
or ask me how I know. I learned it takes awhile to get heat into those puppies.

I would say MPSCs give a lot away to any slick. You wouldn't get that many heat cycles unless it did.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:37 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

In my experience new unshaved toyo take 12 heat cycles to get into their "fast" speed range.

4/32 shaved Toyo take about 6 heat cycles to get fast.

New full treads seem rather slow on their first cycle, but genrally improve as the rubber wears down that is part of the reason 4/32 shaved are faster. Plus they seem to need to some heat cycle for the rubber to cure.

Also note that Miller being a brang new track has fresh asphalt. This can expand the differences between tires since there is little rubber on the surface. When driving a new track with toyos it seems the that it expands the difference between old vs new.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:57 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmmm..... sounds like the general conconclusion is that Toyo RA1 is more predictable, slightly slower and lasts just as long as a MPSC

Quick Reply: Toyo RA1 Vs MPSC