Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toyo RA1 Vs MPSC

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 11:28 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

If your in a warmer area go with the MPSC .......if it's cool go with the Toyo's...
MPSC are bad when it's cold ....During the spring I wanted to change from the MPSC...now it's realy hot and they work great.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:32 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Tom,

I will try 2F and see how that goes...I still have too much understeer (although I like some).

Z06,

My thoughts exactly, if it was Sept. I would have stayed w/ the Toyos.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 07-19-2005, 01:46 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim: Stock sways? I cheated and used the RS adjustable sways on my 993 to get rid of the understeer and have even bigger adjustables on the 964 (25/22).
Old 07-20-2005, 07:09 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Hi Tom,

I was thinking about that .....if I tightened the rear it would help w/ the push and would help with the tire rub also. I will do that when I install new studs this weekend.

Thanks!

Jim
Old 03-02-2006, 04:45 PM
E36S50
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Child
I've run both the Toyo RA-1's and the Michelin PSC's. I find that that when you have the pressures dialed in and the tires properly up to temperature the MPSC's are about 3/4 to 1 second per lap faster than the RA-1's around a track like Putnam Park.
This is an old thread but I am wondering if anyone has more current lap time comparisons to add? My PSCs are toast and I am considering a set of RA1s as long as I am not giving up much grip. The tires will rarely be used in temps above 80F.

Old 03-02-2006, 06:28 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

I was about a second faster on Toyos, which I attribute to confidence from the increased feedback, but there are always other factors involved, especially temperature. I think my fast lap on the RA-1s it was about 20 degrees cooler outside w/ less humidity.

Anyway, I have bought two sets of Toyos since and won't go back (see my signature).
Old 03-02-2006, 07:45 PM
E36S50
Advanced

Originally Posted by forklift
I was about a second faster on Toyos, which I attribute to confidence from the increased feedback, but there are always other factors involved, especially temperature. I think my fast lap on the RA-1s it was about 20 degrees cooler outside w/ less humidity.
Wow, faster on the Toyos was not what I expected to hear

Are you running full-depth or shaved Toyos?

Thanks for the feedback, the cards are stacking in the Toyo's favor!
Old 03-02-2006, 08:29 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by E36S50
Wow, faster on the Toyos was not what I expected to hear
It doesn't surprise me at all. As I stated in my original post, MPSC's work very poorly if pressures and temperatures are not perfect. Its very difficult and sometimes impossible to get the MPSC's in their very narrow performance window. If you don't then Toyos will be faster.

I'll never have another set of MPSC's. They're simply too much of a PIA. For me its very simple. Hoosiers for racing and qualifying. Toyos for all other track duty.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:33 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

It was very difficult to find the sweet spot for the Cups, maybe I never did. For Toyos the sweet spot is 38-40 hot.

I run them shaved.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:33 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

It's very easy to get the MPSC's dialed in. Get their handout. In it, they describe the method. I followed it and it worked like a charm. I am going by memory but this is what I remember.

You want 32 front and 36 rear hot pressures. Start with at least 25 front and 28 rear. Go out for 8 or so hot laps and come in the hot pits, jump out and bleed the pressures down to 32/36 if required. Then go out and try again. The next morning check the cold pressures and that should be your starting pressures for that ambient temperature.

After you get the pressures dialed in, get a pyrometer and set up your camber..........

It is a job to get any tire dialed in and you should spend the time doing it. It will pay dividends in both better performance and longer life. Not only that but using a scientific method to achieve your goal makes it much easier, and you will also learn alot about tires and suspension setup.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:36 PM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice Mitch, well thought out. and well said as usual.

Don't forget one thing folks, if your car weighs less than 2700lbs you will likely NOT ever get your Cups dialed in and will no doubt spend lots of time spinning.

These tires when cold have little to no feedback and let go with a treacherous abruptness. Ask me how I know!
Old 03-03-2006, 03:39 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DanS911
Don't forget one thing folks, if your car weighs less than 2700lbs you will likely NOT ever get your Cups dialed in and will no doubt spend lots of time spinning.

These tires when cold have little to no feedback and let go with a treacherous abruptness. Ask me how I know!
Nice to know I am not the only person who has had this experience.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:02 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DanS911
...These tires when cold have little to no feedback and let go with a treacherous abruptness. Ask me how I know!
That's why I'm done with MPSC's. I'd rather track street tires than deal with how treacherous MPSC's are, warm OR hot.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:39 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch236
It's very easy to get the MPSC's dialed in. Get their handout. In it, they describe the method. I followed it and it worked like a charm. I am going by memory but this is what I remember.

You want 32 front and 36 rear hot pressures. Start with at least 25 front and 28 rear. Go out for 8 or so hot laps and come in the hot pits, jump out and bleed the pressures down to 32/36 if required. Then go out and try again. The next morning check the cold pressures and that should be your starting pressures for that ambient temperature.
Yes, that process works for any tire, but never perfectly. Ambient temperatures change, one side of the car might be in the sun, different track conditions cause different pressure increases from cold to hot, etc. The fact is that being off a couple pounds +/- from your target pressure affects the MPSC's dramatically, much more so than Toyos or Hoosiers.

Also, if I'm not mistaken you're from Florida, so perhaps you've never had the opportunity to drive these tires in cold weather. They are truly frightening in those kinds of conditions, regardless of how you set them up.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:44 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is anyone willing to complicate this thread by throwing Pirelli Corsas into the comparison?

Quick Reply: Toyo RA1 Vs MPSC