Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which passing rules are better?
Current
85.51%
Proposed
14.49%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

PCA passing rules

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 04:34 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by CFGT3
You are just rehashing something from a 25 page thread. In the instance you sited, the OP should have taken into account that the car he was passing was a rookie and MAY DO SOMETHING UNEXPECTED. The gray area was that the AREA of the track the OP tried to pass him was very dangerous and could have waited until the next corner. What no one has mentioned in 30 pages of discussion between the 2 threads is the actual account from the driver of the white 944. What if the 944 driver DID see the OP and figured that he would not be able to make that pass at that dangerous corner and to wait until after the corner?
This is addressed in other rules as I posted. Track knowledge of the passing car is taken into account. That's also why I stated several times now that none of the rules I posted absolve the OP from his culpability. This discussion is not about that incident.

Question: How would a rookie know where it's not advisable to pass? If a rookie has no responsibility in traffic does he have responsibility to know where its appropriate to pass? Should the driver's meeting for the fun race include a discussion of where it's really not advisable to pass? It probably should. If it's in the rule would that cause a rookie to ask those questions? Maybe it would.

As an example I remember before my first race at WG a fellow competitor admonished me repeatedly not to try to pass up the esses. I took that to heart so imagine my horror as rookie me found myself immediately 2 wide in the esses So he was pulling my leg but what did I know.

Last edited by Streak; 08-06-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:49 PM
bsztanko
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
Wow...

No question, current rules, they are the only ones that matter. I think maybe you are better suited to one of the top race series you continually reference as clearly the current rules for PCA that everyone else abides by do not seem to appeal to you. Honestly, if you feel you need to change the rules of a race series for it to fit your racing style then it probably isn't for you.

If the top racers have a secret "handshake" agreement it is because they have developed trust over many hours of running side by side and nose to tail with each other and as such there is also a level of predictability involved. That is earned, not given by the rules... Based on both of your videos from the other thread you would not meet the criteria of the handshake agreement to begin with.

Kind of sad that after all the feedback from the other thread rather than taking it all in and re-assessing you seem to be as steadfast as ever you did nothing wrong and it is the rules fault and as such they should change.
Wow bud, way off base and incorrect. Maybe racing isnt for you.
What is so difficult about leaving racing room if there is overlap?
Old 08-06-2017, 04:52 PM
bsztanko
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Streak
This passing rule discussion has been going on forever. At least as long as I've been racing with PCA. Almost 10 years. That's a clear indication that a revision is warranted.

PCA's passing rule is unlike any other in club racing. Everyone keeps saying "this is club racing" It's still racing and those other series are clubs too so that argument doesn't hold a lot of water. Overlap is a critical component that is flatly ignored by the current rule. In fact the current rule lets the lead car essentially operate with reckless abandon if they chose. We've all seen it. We've all been on the receiving end of it. There are more than a few who use the rule as a weapon. I've had actual conversations with those that do.

Passing is dynamic. To establish who owns the corner at turn in while adamantly stating no one owns the corner is just silly. If we all really did observe that to the letter then the only passing in a PCA club race would be on a straight. Clearly that isn't true so why on Earth do we have a rule that basically states passing can only happen on a straight?

For all their perceived flaws, NASA has a pretty good section in their rules about passing. It has diagrams and everything that I think are a better tool for the stewards to establish blame when necessary. The NASA rules realize that the pass is dynamic and fault is established given the relative positions of the two cars at the point of contact. That's an important distinction and one PCA lacks. Fault is established by the PCA rules in some cases quite some distant prior to the contact.

In a nutshell PCA assumes that every passer is a dive bomber and rewards the chop.

Hard to reconcile that with close racing and close racing exists in every class.

That being said I think the proposed rule to vote on is not thorough enough. My vote is essentially against the current rule but not necessarily for the proposed rule without some modifications.

What he said!!
Old 08-06-2017, 05:01 PM
bsztanko
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe
You did a good job of posing the question in the first thread. no one gave your grief, and I still maintain that the 944 shares a fair amount of the blame. Unfortunately, your continued flogging of the issue is not helping your case.
It just points to the fact that the current rules are far less than optimum. Not sure what the right answer is but maybe some dialogue here will bring up something useful.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:02 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by bsztanko
Wow bud, way off base and incorrect. Maybe racing isnt for you.
What is so difficult about leaving racing room if there is overlap?
How do you infer that you shouldn't leave racing room from what I wrote? Leaving racing room is inferred and assumed at all levels in my opinion. That however assumes the trailing car has successfully actually established themselves as overlapping... I don't subscribe to the Nico Rosberg mentality of it's my corner so I will do what I want.

That also assumes the trailing passing driver knows when it is appropriate to stick their nose in and when they should back off, regroup and try again a few corners or a few laps later which inevitably puts the responsibility back on the overtaking driver to initiate a safe pass that isn't going to endanger either car... It doesn't mean I late braked, dive bombed a corner, got half a nose in so now I am entitled to equal racing room. In that instance the responsibility is still on the trailing driver because if there is contact then it's on the trailing driver. So nothing has changed imho. It doesn't mean it's ok for the lead driver to intentionally chop a nose either, that's not what I am saying at all, I am saying if the lead car was already going to apex and on their line and all of a sudden there is a nose there you can't put that on the lead driver...

You made a pretty big leap from what I wrote to assuming I don't believe in racing room.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:09 PM
bsztanko
Rennlist Member

You are just rehashing something from a 25 page thread. In the instance you sited, the OP should have taken into account that the car he was passing was a rookie and MAY DO SOMETHING UNEXPECTED. The gray area was that the AREA of the track the OP tried to pass him was very dangerous and could have waited until the next corner. What no one has mentioned in 30 pages of discussion between the 2 threads is the actual account from the driver of the white 944. What if the 944 driver DID see the OP and figured that he would not be able to make that pass at that dangerous corner and to wait until after the corner?
Every corner is dangerous if you go fast enough.,,
If there is overlap, leave room!
Old 08-06-2017, 06:10 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,845 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by GSM
Good governance requires that the precision of rules (for passing and otherwise) needs to be matched to the ability of drivers to execute. Since PCA includes many novice drivers, the rules need to stay sufficiently simple.
+1

Originally Posted by Tom W
We spent a lot of time last year looking at passing rules and how to make it a bit more clear as the membership didn't like simply leaving all judgement to the stewards. Our rules: http://www.prc-racing.com/wp-content...dix_C_2017.pdf

Simply stated, if you leave the door open for an inside pass and the other person gets any overlap, you must leave room. If the passer is on the outside and has overlap, you must leave room at corner exit. We've seen significantly less car-to-car contact since we implemented these rules.
While the PRC definition (below and 1st diagram) might work well for establishing overlap with experienced racers, it strikes me as a pretty low bar in an environment with new/novice racers. Much too easy to end up in a novice drivers blind spot and claim overlap when their mental bandwidth is dominated by braking, turn-in, and finding the apex.

Overlap IMO requires that the passing car presents itself clearly enough to the lead car by turn-in such that the lead car driver running a halo seat should be reasonably expected to be aware of the passing car's presence. In practice this means that you at least have to have your car at the lead car's door.

All the experienced PCA racers I've run with observe this protocol. We also all know that if we stick our cars inside an inexperienced driver or a driver we don't know (or one that we know to watch out for) and it goes wrong, then we own the outcome. Most PCA drivers figure this pretty quickly. Unfortunately, some seem to take longer...

I. Definitions:

Physical Overlap: Physical overlap is obtained when the front bumper of the trailing car passes the rear bumper of the lead car. If physical overlap occurs anywhere in the braking zone or at turn in then both the lead car and the passing car must leave racing room throughout the entire turn.
Attached Images   
Old 08-06-2017, 06:22 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,355 Likes on 826 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Please, if you won't make any constructive contributions to the thread, may I suggest that you stop reading it and posting to it? Lucky for you, RL rules don't make reading and posting mandatory.
Well based on the poll, once again, you're losing this suggestion iteration as well. Take it like the man you profess you are or move to another racing organization that will it allow it your way. Quit trying to argue scenarios that obviously you are not going to win.

We don't believe you and your clarification claim/excuse.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:29 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
+1

While the PRC definition (below and 1st diagram) might work well for establishing overlap with experienced racers, it strikes me as a pretty low bar in an environment with new/novice racers. Much too easy to end up in a novice drivers blind spot and claim overlap when their mental bandwidth is dominated by braking, turn-in, and finding the apex.

Overlap IMO requires that the passing car presents itself clearly enough to the lead car by turn-in such that the lead car driver running a halo seat should be reasonably expected to be aware of the passing car's presence. In practice this means that you at least have to have your car at the lead car's door.

All the experienced PCA racers I've run with observe this protocol. We also all know that if we stick our cars inside an inexperienced driver or a driver we don't know (or one that we know to watch out for) and it goes wrong, then we own the outcome. Most PCA drivers figure this pretty quickly. Unfortunately, some seem to take longer...

I. Definitions:

Physical Overlap: Physical overlap is obtained when the front bumper of the trailing car passes the rear bumper of the lead car. If physical overlap occurs anywhere in the braking zone or at turn in then both the lead car and the passing car must leave racing room throughout the entire turn.
Rookies need to learn how to pass as well. Sounds simple but it's not always. Diagrams, explanations and definitions can only help the rookie understand what is expected of him/her as the passer or passee.

A simple "leave racing room" isn't sufficient. To the experienced racer it may be but to a rookie it brings up questions like "what's racing room?" "when do I have to leave racing room?" ""How much overlap is necessary?"

If PCA won't change the language then maybe a rookie handbook could be put together with common scenarios etc. The evening class covers a bunch but it could be handy to have reference material as well.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:06 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Question: How would a rookie know where it's not advisable to pass? If a rookie has no responsibility in traffic does he have responsibility to know where its appropriate to pass? Should the driver's meeting for the fun race include a discussion of where it's really not advisable to pass? It probably should. If it's in the rule would that cause a rookie to ask those questions? Maybe it would.

As an example I remember before my first race at WG a fellow competitor admonished me repeatedly not to try to pass up the esses. I took that to heart so imagine my horror as rookie me found myself immediately 2 wide in the esses So he was pulling my leg but what did I know.
In all race series I've ever been involved in, rookies pick up on where there are high risk and low risk places to pass. Typically it's done by just driving in practice, in the paddock discussions or racer meetings. As countless others here have stated many many times, the corner where the OP was trying to pass is very high risk. His first instinct was to lift, but then got back on it rather than pull out. He could have dropped his right side wheels and avoid the contact with the 944, but he didn't. The fact that he was already on a 13 and chose to do what he did tells me he doesn't care about the rules as they are written. IF YOU'RE NOT WILLING TO ADHERE TO THE RULES, THEN DON'T RACE WITH THAT ORGANIZATION.

And for the record, you cannot disconnect the OPs first thread with this discussion because he STILL seems to think the problem lies in the way the rule was written rather than the way he drives! If it was his first incident, perhaps we can say it was a mistake and misinterpretation of the rules, but he had a 13 in 2 of 3 race weekends with evidence of 2 other incidents he got away with. Why is this so hard for a couple of you to understand? The rules seem to work for 99% of the people out there. Even those on 13s have said, Mea colpa, but not in this instance.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:10 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by bsztanko
Every corner is dangerous if you go fast enough.,,
If there is overlap, leave room!
And the OP took the corner in question, the most dangerous on that particular track, too fast for conditions (another car in front of him going at a slower pace). There was no overlap until very late, look at the video again. The OP's first instinct was correct insofar as he lifted. The red mist of trying to keep the car behind him was too strong and he went full throttle and got too deep on the outside of the most dangerous corner on track and one where you cannot go 2 wide at those speeds without risk. He could have dropped 2 wheels and "tried" to make it through, but did not.

I'll ask the question again, HAS ANYONE SPOKEN TO THE DRIVER OF THE WHITE 944 TO INQUIRE AS TO WHAT HE DID AND DIDN'T SEE? I think that would probably have saved a lot of bandwidth and some carpel tunnel issues!
Old 08-06-2017, 07:24 PM
bsztanko
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
How do you infer that you shouldn't leave racing room from what I wrote? Leaving racing room is inferred and assumed at all levels in my opinion. That however assumes the trailing car has successfully actually established themselves as overlapping... I don't subscribe to the Nico Rosberg mentality of it's my corner so I will do what I want.

That also assumes the trailing passing driver knows when it is appropriate to stick their nose in and when they should back off, regroup and try again a few corners or a few laps later which inevitably puts the responsibility back on the overtaking driver to initiate a safe pass that isn't going to endanger either car... It doesn't mean I late braked, dive bombed a corner, got half a nose in so now I am entitled to equal racing room. In that instance the responsibility is still on the trailing driver because if there is contact then it's on the trailing driver. So nothing has changed imho. It doesn't mean it's ok for the lead driver to intentionally chop a nose either, that's not what I am saying at all, I am saying if the lead car was already going to apex and on their line and all of a sudden there is a nose there you can't put that on the lead driver...

You made a pretty big leap from what I wrote to assuming I don't believe in racing room.
OP proposed new rule, you reject it, how is that a leap? Not sure of your race experience, Rennpoints may be down but it shows 0 races completed by you. We racers need to fix a broken system, any discussion in how we do that should be welcomed.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:30 PM
bsztanko
Rennlist Member

And the OP took the corner in question, the most dangerous on that particular track, too fast for conditions (another car in front of him going at a slower pace). There was no overlap until very late, look at the video again. The OP's first instinct was correct insofar as he lifted. The red mist of trying to keep the car behind him was too strong and he went full throttle and got too deep on the outside of the most dangerous corner on track and one where you cannot go 2 wide at those speeds without risk. He could have dropped 2 wheels and "tried" to make it through, but did not.

I'll ask the question again, HAS ANYONE SPOKEN TO THE DRIVER OF THE WHITE 944 TO INQUIRE AS TO WHAT HE DID AND DIDN'T SEE? I think that would probably have saved a lot of bandwidth and some carpel tunnel issues!
I have watched the videos several times, I did miss the lift, than getting back on throttle initially. I agree it was not the best move. However this discussion is not about that incudent. Its about current PCA passing rules, which are confusing, contradicting and vague.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:40 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
At worst, even a complete novice, completely oblivious to his surroundings could avoid all contact and fault by simply driving smack at the middle everywhere on the track and never coming near the edges, while allowing racers to race as he gains seat time and experience. As he becomes more experienced and aware, he could "earn" the right to come to the edge (turn in, apex, turn out) when absolutely sure that there is no overlap with another car -- by checking the mirrors more regularly and seeing or anticipating the overlap from the speed differentials of the cars in his mirror. If he just wings it and goes for the edge anyway and he hits someone with overlap, he gets a 13 probation. If he hits someone again, he gets the opportunity to get more seat time, practice car control and 360deg awareness at DE's for the next 13 months. Everybody wins.

Overlap is overlap. If there was a car approaching in your mirrors and it 'disappears' then it must be to your side somewhere. If you're unsure if there's is overlap, then assume that there is and just leave room. If you are unsure which side it is on, then leave room on BOTH sides. As you become more proficient and confident with your estimates, then feel free to deny racing room based on your level of confidence in your estimates while aware of the consequences if you are wrong.

All the experienced PCA racers I've run with observe this protocol.
So are they breaking Rule 2 which requires full 100% overlap to leave racing room?

We also all know that if we stick our cars inside an inexperienced driver or a driver we don't know (or one that we know to watch out for) and it goes wrong, then we own the outcome. Most PCA drivers figure this pretty quickly. Unfortunately, some seem to take longer...
If the rules are clear there would be no need to figure out anything unwritten yet obviously accepted and preferred by most. That's my point.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:41 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,544 Likes on 816 Posts

Two things:

Both the white 944 and the OP were rookies in that race

IIRC doesn't PCA assign each rookie an experienced racer as their mentor? Seems these mentors have a great opportunity to imbue their deep experience regarding passing on their rookies...

Quick Reply: PCA passing rules