Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CGT Prices

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 03:22 PM
DesmoRR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think paying for low mileage is simply asking for further issues. Cars are meant to be driven. Whats sad about my car is everyone is telling me if i break 5k miles on it I am screwed. Why the hell own something if you can't drive it however much you want?!

All I know is my 918 will be a driver. That thing will be used every single day in SoCal, and I don't care what anyone thinks about the miles on it! haha
Old 06-06-2015, 05:29 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DesmoRR
All I know is my 918 will be a driver. That thing will be used every single day in SoCal, and I don't care what anyone thinks about the miles on it! haha
Old 06-06-2015, 07:58 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Default Swiss "sand white(?)" CGT just spotted in Holland?

"Originally Posted by DesmoRR View Post
The white car is my car, I have it listed with Isringhausen. And 1.1M is the number. If it sells great, if not I will keep it forever. I am not worried about it.

The one that had paintwork has a crash too and its in Dallas I believe. It was for sale.

However mine, which is listed, is Sand White, its the only on in north america and one of 2 in the world. The other being in Qatar I am told."

Actually, DesmoRR, I am not sure you were told the truth since this one, which I believe is "sand white(?)", is from Switzerland:

http://www.autogespot.com/porsche-carrera-gt/2015/06/06

Cheers,

Steve

Last edited by Stephen Pitts; 06-06-2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:01 AM
JS
Race Car

Received 534 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Pitts
However mine, which is listed, is Sand White, its the only on in north america and one of 2 in the world. The other being in Qatar I am told."
Was your car for sale at Rancho Mirage last year?
Old 06-07-2015, 01:30 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Either way, collectors pay a premium for low mileage cars (in general). Whether they should, or not, is irrelevant.
Ok and I edited.

I think that's my entire premise on what is relevant.

Collector cars have value for what they are not what they grow up to be.

At some point if a car reaches collector value the car is restored - provenance is what's key and why I prefer one owner cars.

Low mileage examples IMO are not collector cars - they are cars that have not been driven and how or why that adds value is beyond me.

Step 1. Drive it Step 2. Maintain it 3. Restore it to as new - repeat process.

There are plenty of world class paint and leather shops that can duplicate any factory craftsmanship. Every part is replaceable - look at how many GTO's a 50M car have been crashed and brought back better than new.

This modern collector low mileage value - it's simply a mindset in the US that's just wrong and top dollar collector restored cars prove it.

I own and restored a 69z29 Austin Healey - they and others are not worth less than an original low mileage.

Ferrari owners for the most part live and die over miles as do the Ferrari dealers - the real reason is owners can't afford the car.

That's the only reason they don't add miles. I think that goes with the CGT simply look back and see all the owners who sold prior to a clutch replacement.

Owners want to turn a modern car into an investment - only way to do that is to not drive it which IMO is a ridiculous thought process as when cars age they become collectible not vice versa.

How many times have you and I along with others looked at something and stated "if the item could only tell all the stories". Then go look at something that's been stored since day one - it's got nothing to tell and to me it's about the history not the climate controlled frigidity.

The real (highest) value is not a low mileage car - the F1 GTO Dino 959 and others that drive the market are not low mileage driven vs the owners simply don't sell which adds far more value.

Last edited by nuvolari612; 06-07-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:34 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by DesmoRR
I think paying for low mileage is simply asking for further issues. Cars are meant to be driven. Whats sad about my car is everyone is telling me if i break 5k miles on it I am screwed. Why the hell own something if you can't drive it however much you want?!

As it was intended.

Hoping you ring the 1M bell - the CGT deserves that crown.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:39 AM
smokeygt
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Either way, collectors pay a premium for low mileage cars (in general). Whether they should, or not, is irrelevant.
You said the proper word "collectors". Also, as in stamp collectors. I personally don't collect stamps and don't begrudge those that do. I'd like to say I collect experiences. Having a pristine 'stamp', to me, is not worth the price premium of not having the experience of driving one. Life is too short to collect 'stamps'.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:08 AM
JGC930
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many white (any shade) GT's are in the country?
Old 06-07-2015, 08:34 AM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Sorry, Justin, I was quoting DesmoRR about the sand white Porsche, but didn't put the qoute in the grey box... I only have one black one (with a special red interior) which will have to be torn from my dead hand before I depart with it... Cheers
Old 06-07-2015, 09:14 AM
NYC123
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeygt
You said the proper word "collectors". Also, as in stamp collectors. I personally don't collect stamps and don't begrudge those that do. I'd like to say I collect experiences. Having a pristine 'stamp', to me, is not worth the price premium of not having the experience of driving one. Life is too short to collect 'stamps'.
With this entire discussion about low miles adding value to collector cars etc, people must realize this does NOT really go on that much in the "real" collector car world at all. This mindset is really just around modern/semi modern cars and mostly around porsche cars only from various ages... I think this is all part of the recent mini bubble that has developed around modern/semi modern cars and much of this is being fueled by many of the dealers who ask multiples of the price for low mile cars with people falling into their traps.... You can look at my previous post about gt3rs 4.0 cars walking thru the math of how it make no sense for somebody to pay around 500k for a low mile car when a 5k mile car is around 300k. By default that means the "collector" buying the low mile car is getting heavier depreciation than a new mini van in his first 5k mile of use, and if thats the case, then the underlying car obviously aint that special, or the price was way way too high at purchase.
The point is, as one other person mentioned what will possibly make something worth more than you paid 30 years down the road is the car, the history of that car to either the brand that made it, or racing etc. something will end up being special about that car within auto history. Having a car that was just wiped with a diaper is not what will determine if its special in 30 years.

I think the other side of this coin thought is that many of these modern semi modern cars will be much harder to restore or won't be able to be restored which is maybe why some feel the need to not drive them.

At the end of the day I think if you are planning to keep for a long time you should drive it as in the long run its either special or not special, and an extra 10,000 miles should not make all that much difference

Last edited by NYC123; 06-08-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:49 AM
Sonder Fahrt
Track Day

a white cgt is being advertised in germany right now. 37.502 miles for 820.000 euro (911.000 usd). the ad says 27 white cgt were produced.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:28 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,051 Likes on 2,310 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC123
With this entire discussion about low miles adding value to collector cars etc, people must realize this does NOT really go on that much in the "real" collector car world at all. This mindset is really just around modern/semi modern cars and mostly around porsche cars only from various ages... I think this is all part of the recent mini bubble that has developed around modern/semi modern cars and much of this is being fueled by many of the dealers who ask multiples of the price for low mile cars with people falling into their traps.... You can look at my previous post about gt3rs 4.0 cars walking thru the math of how it make no sense for somebody to pay around 500k for a low mile car when a 5k mile car is around 300k. By default that means the "collector" buying the low mile car is getting heavier depreciation than a new mini van in his first 5k mile of use, and of thats the case, then the underlying car obnoxiously aint that special, or the price was way way too high at purchase.
The point is as one other person mentioned what will possibly make something worth more than you paid 30 years down the road is the car, the history of that car to either the brand that made it or racing etc. something will end up being special about that car within auto history. Having a car that was just wiped with a diaper is not what will determine if its special in 30 years.

I think the other side of this coin thought is that man of these modern semi modern cars will be much harder to restore or won't be able to be restored which is maybe why some feel the need to not drive them.

At the end of the day I think if you are planning to keep for a long time you should drive it as in the long run its either special or not special, an extra 10,000 miles should not make all that much difference
Probably one of the best posts I've ever read on RL. I guess I'm not one of those guys that would add tens or hundreds of thousands to the value of a car because it has less than 5,000 miles versus 10,000 miles. Give me a driver's car that has been driven on a regular basis then a car that sits and collects dust for its life. I'm so glad that I was able to track my PTS RS...probably the best experiences of my life and to me that is priceless.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:58 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 528 Posts

http://www.globalautosports.com/mode...che-Carrera-GT

Someone is already asking over a mil for one.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:00 PM
amerifrikaner
Instructor

Rumor has it that the 1-of-1 PTS Rosso Red CGT recently sold for $1m...
Old 06-08-2015, 02:58 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
http://www.globalautosports.com/mode...che-Carrera-GT

Someone is already asking over a mil for one.
That's Graham Rahal's Sand White PTS car.

So, .... What does one think a 1 of 1 PTS Signal Yellow CGT with an edition number of "0911" would fetch?

Quick Reply: CGT Prices