Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast and Furious Paul Walker killed in CGT

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 05:56 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I don't know whether he is at 7, 8, 9 or 10 10ths. I was only pointing out, in light of all of the armchair QB's elaborating on the safety of "super" or "hyper" cars, my friend drive his very spiritedly, as well as an Enzo, F40, etc, and doesn't have issues, or stop at our break points, quivering in fear.

Originally Posted by 996tnz
As someone pointed out earlier in this thread, the CGT barely breaks a sweat at cornering speeds well beyond the capabilities of most cars.

Does the CGT just feel like it is on rails up there or does it feel lively with a few degrees of slip angle? Unless he is a racer and pushing it (normally only on track), he is probably only driving it to 8/10ths, which would feel very spirited to most people. Also, if your friend has put on the Porsche promoted updated tires (Super Sports) then his car should handle better than many others still on the old PS2s when near the limit. At closer to 10/10ths, the CGT reportedly gets more demanding than most though, especially when it comes to catching sudden oversteer.

That said every car has limits and needs treated with respect. Long may Porsche and others continue to build challenging and empowering machines, and long may we accord them our respect and awe.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:59 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^
And I've never seen that car get squirrley on runs either. I don't think the cgt is anymore dangerous than any other high hp car without driving nannies.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:10 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think everybody is now repeating the same point: the CGT is completely magical until you hit some "limit" when the backend comes out (as it has no "driving nannies" except for TC which I have felt kick in occasionally to avoid the rear wheels spinning). And you have to go pretty extreme to hit that "limit" (I really don't know the right word for it, hence "limit"). I have easily gone on 14 hour drives down all sorts of roads, autobahns at 250km+ an hour, etc. and never had even the slightest of problems. Indeed, I never hit that "limit" except on a wet racetrack (the same place every daily journalist keeps writing is the safest; right!). And as has been pretty well described -- at least for a driver of my ordinary talents -- when the backend comes out, it is beyond difficult to control. Hence, to some degree, this tragic accident…
Old 12-09-2013, 01:45 PM
breakfast
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its pretty clear to me they were hooning it up a bit....to what extent and speed? We will hopefully find out.

But it doesnt always have to be at crazy speeds. Powering out of that corner with some dorifto action couldve been what was...harmless in most cases but sometimes people lose it.

The carrera gt isnt on some knife edge when under 10/10ths. Sad they had to die. RIP
Old 12-09-2013, 01:57 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Whatever the case maybe, they also appeared to have had the misfortune of running into the one pole and two trees which are very close to the edge of the road, with the car hitting the pole and the trees in probably the most vulnerable point, i.e. side-swiping the pole/trees with the mid-section of the car where the gas tank is located......
Old 12-09-2013, 11:48 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BrakingBad
I am no expert but this looks like the same type of break-away chasis design we've seen in racing for years now.

Originally Posted by Adker
Tank is in the middle of the car...right where it appears to have hit. In most collisions, this tank would have been safely tucked away from damage. Such a shame...RIP.

The 918 spyder seems a very similar design - yes very safe in the middle - sadly we know now very lethal on side impact.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:16 AM
redleg321
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jo-hans
The 918 spyder seems a very similar design - yes very safe in the middle - sadly we know now very lethal on side impact.
Sorry--it's actually an extremely safe car just like a CGT. No engineer would look at this or the CGT and say it's dangerous.

Nothing is safe if you're operating it like a sociopath, though.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:56 AM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by redleg321
Sorry--it's actually an extremely safe car just like a CGT. No engineer would look at this or the CGT and say it's dangerous.
Sorry back - but it was a comment in reference to the fuel cell and it's location - which obviously is a logical location for safety and balance in mind, unfortunately lethal in this case.

Last edited by jo-hans; 12-10-2013 at 03:21 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:38 PM
redleg321
Racer

Originally Posted by jo-hans
Sorry back - but it was a comment in reference to the fuel cell and it's location - which obviously is a logical location for safety and balance in mind, unfortunately lethal in this case.
Oh--yeah if can see how perhaps there would be no fire if the fuel cell had been mounted somewhere else. I suspect that even then, based on the autopsy, they would have died due to impact.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:58 PM
JJ Cleghorne
Advanced

Originally Posted by pole position
That ain't no 45 mph acccident..............
+1 No way. They had to be going close to 90 or 100. From what I heard/read, that part of the road is notorious for people to drift.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:11 PM
JJ Cleghorne
Advanced

Originally Posted by JJ Cleghorne
+1 No way. They had to be going close to 90 or 100. From what I heard/read, that part of the road is notorious for people to drift.
Here is another video capture by a security camera. Just awful.

http://www.tmz.com/2013/12/02/paul-w...che-collision/
Old 12-10-2013, 06:07 PM
mousecatcher
Instructor

99% sure we already saw that video
Old 12-10-2013, 08:03 PM
DarksideGTI
5th Gear

I want to see the video from this camera.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:11 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

that would be the one. I would bet the lawyers for the Walker estate have it along with the police investigators.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:43 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That shot looks like it was taken from a mobile google van camera.

Quick Reply: Fast and Furious Paul Walker killed in CGT