Notices

GTC spec tire change?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 04:29 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 150 Posts

You would think that unfortunately the tire wholesaler gets there take(supposedly for support???? Where were they at NJMP PCA race) and PCA I have heard is making money as well on the deal. Another words we pay extra to make PCA more money membership has its privileges
Old 09-03-2013, 04:41 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve113
You would think that unfortunately the tire wholesaler gets there take(supposedly for support???? Where were they at NJMP PCA race) and PCA I have heard is making money as well on the deal. Another words we pay extra to make PCA more money membership has its privileges
would seem counter intuitive? we should get the best tire at the best price let the market decide. we are all using the same tire, so we want a quality tire at a fair price? Guess I need to get used to Cup racing
Old 09-03-2013, 05:41 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

I like the idea of a "spec tire" for this class. It makes sense to me at least given what I understand as the spirit of GTC. A spec class should be an equalizer and also avoid a checkbook arms race. But the cost of the current spec tire is having the opposite effect IMHO.

But you would think that in exchange for selecting a tire, some kind of price (and behavior) lock with the manufacturer would follow - instead of the reverse.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:31 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 150 Posts

Agree with both you guys. My vote is for the lowest price slick we can put on. Who cares about fastest tire as long as we are all on the same

It’s funny how I won the race NJMP and got a $150. credit certificate. Big deal I pay an exorbitant amount of money for a spec tire and win $150 credit. Other clubs at least give tires away
Old 09-04-2013, 11:39 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Well at least the Pirelli is cheaper than the michilens so it is a good thing. I heard the new n2 was going to be 2600 a set.

I assume it will be the pzero they have everyone use come jan 1.

Looks like the n1 stock is dropping. Sucks I got 5 sets.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:08 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well "who" makes the tire decision? did they ask you guys!! LOL

How bout they take a vote?

I am sure PCA has thought this threw
Old 09-06-2013, 10:27 AM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stujelly
Well at least the Pirelli is cheaper than the michilens so it is a good thing. I heard the new n2 was going to be 2600 a set.

I assume it will be the pzero they have everyone use come jan 1.

Looks like the n1 stock is dropping. Sucks I got 5 sets.

If you want to get rid of some N1s - I'd be happy to take a set or two...oh wait...your 7 cup is pre 2010 / narrow body, correct?

Did I miss something on the Pirellis? Where/when was the announcement made?
Old 09-06-2013, 03:05 PM
Bman
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FLA997
Did I miss something on the Pirellis? Where/when was the announcement made?
Just got it.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:08 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Pirelli 2014

JX2 Performance Group to Sponsor PCA Club Racing National Points Championships Beginning in 2014

Pirelli selected as spec tire for GTC-3, 4, 5, 6 classes

GREENVILLE, S.C. (September 1, 2013) – JX2 Performance Group announced today that it has entered into a multi-year sponsorship agreement with Porsche Club of America (PCA) for the PCA’s Club Racing GTC-3, GTC-4, GTC-5 and GTC-6 National Points Championships beginning January 1, 2014.

As part of its sponsorship, JX2 will supply Pirelli Tires, the official spec tire, for the National Points Championships. In addition to providing increased contingency payouts to racers, JX2 will provide at-track support for no less than seven events, and any other event where ten or more cars are registered in GTC 3-6 classes two weeks prior to the event (four weeks on the West Coast).

As part of the agreement, Pirelli, in conjunction with JX2, will provide technical and engineering support. Pirelli and JX2 will also provide an-all-expenses-paid trip for two to a Pirelli motorsports event for a selected PCA member.

PCA Club Racing is the largest single-marquee racing organization in the world. Today, PCA has more than 105,000 members in 139 local regions with activities ranging from autocross, rally, concourse and socializing to growing interests in touring, restoration, Porsche history and PCA Club Racing. More information on PCA and PCA Club Racing can be found at www.pca.org.

“JX2’s motorsports industry knowledge, dedication to service and track record of success seemed like a perfect fit with a marquee automotive club like PCA,” said Darrell Jackson, president and chief executive officer, JX2 Performance Group. “Everyone at JX2 loves working with Porsche enthusiasts, Pirelli and others who share our passion for performance and motorsports. We are thrilled to establish what we believe will be a strong and mutually beneficial working partnership.”

Pirelli race tires for GTC-3, GTC-4, GTC-5 or GTC-6 classes will be available from JX2 on November 1, 2013. Please call 866-325-5426 or email JX2 at customer.service@jx2pg.com to order.

About JX2 Performance Group
JX2 Performance Group is an industry leading motorsports service company and race tire distributor based in Greenville, South Carolina. JX2 has experience providing at-track support and tires sales for multiple race series including the Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series, Maserati Super Trofeo Series, North American Road Racing Association, Grand-Am Rolex Sport Car Series and Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup. For more information on JX2, please visit www.jx2pg.com.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:16 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bman
Just got it.
Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
JX2 Performance Group to Sponsor PCA Club Racing National Points Championships Beginning in 2014

Pirelli selected as spec tire for GTC-3, 4, 5, 6 classes

GREENVILLE, S.C. (September 1, 2013) – JX2 Performance Group announced today that it has entered into a multi-year sponsorship agreement with Porsche Club of America (PCA) for the PCA’s Club Racing GTC-3, GTC-4, GTC-5 and GTC-6 National Points Championships beginning January 1, 2014.

As part of its sponsorship, JX2 will supply Pirelli Tires, the official spec tire, for the National Points Championships. In addition to providing increased contingency payouts to racers, JX2 will provide at-track support for no less than seven events, and any other event where ten or more cars are registered in GTC 3-6 classes two weeks prior to the event (four weeks on the West Coast).

As part of the agreement, Pirelli, in conjunction with JX2, will provide technical and engineering support. Pirelli and JX2 will also provide an-all-expenses-paid trip for two to a Pirelli motorsports event for a selected PCA member.

PCA Club Racing is the largest single-marquee racing organization in the world. Today, PCA has more than 105,000 members in 139 local regions with activities ranging from autocross, rally, concourse and socializing to growing interests in touring, restoration, Porsche history and PCA Club Racing. More information on PCA and PCA Club Racing can be found at www.pca.org.

“JX2’s motorsports industry knowledge, dedication to service and track record of success seemed like a perfect fit with a marquee automotive club like PCA,” said Darrell Jackson, president and chief executive officer, JX2 Performance Group. “Everyone at JX2 loves working with Porsche enthusiasts, Pirelli and others who share our passion for performance and motorsports. We are thrilled to establish what we believe will be a strong and mutually beneficial working partnership.”

Pirelli race tires for GTC-3, GTC-4, GTC-5 or GTC-6 classes will be available from JX2 on November 1, 2013. Please call 866-325-5426 or email JX2 at customer.service@jx2pg.com to order.

About JX2 Performance Group
JX2 Performance Group is an industry leading motorsports service company and race tire distributor based in Greenville, South Carolina. JX2 has experience providing at-track support and tires sales for multiple race series including the Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series, Maserati Super Trofeo Series, North American Road Racing Association, Grand-Am Rolex Sport Car Series and Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup. For more information on JX2, please visit www.jx2pg.com.
Thx..they must have heard me b/c I just got it as well.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:19 AM
tedean
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Any guess on the cost of Pirellis?
Old 09-07-2013, 07:14 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve113
It’s funny how I won the race NJMP and got a $150. credit certificate.
Now, Steve...... you forgot about your incredibly hard-to-get Michelin Podium hat! Surely, THAT made the $2600 tire set price worth it. Right??

OK, maybe not!

And, I too, missed the email about the tire change. I thought that the rules commentary period had another 6 weeks to go, and THEN we'd get some final adjudication on rules amendments.

The Pirelli choice will be interesting. Suspect this will throw a bit of a wrench into the setup routines for most race shops since IMSA GT3 Cup runs Advans and ALMS runs Michelins. The West Coast shops running Pirelli Challenge will have a leg up on the rest of us (for a while anyway)!

Wonder how I convince National that I really *DO* race a GT3 CUP (so I can get these interesting missives)! I ran at the Cup at PCA Club Races at TWS and COTA. Does that not count?

Guess I can go burn up my Michelins at some upcoming DE.....
Old 09-07-2013, 08:22 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Road America last week
Old 09-07-2013, 09:46 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

Duh! I should have known. But, but, but......... all my racing buddies from Texas were there. Does that count? B)
Old 09-07-2013, 09:54 PM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

hilarious.
I call the Mich hats the "$5K hats"........two set per weekend if you want to podium.

Quick Reply: GTC spec tire change?