Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

KMP paddle shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I do 6 to 3 all the time and 5 to 2 without any difficulties. The only problem I have had is the mechanism attached to the shift lever coming slightly loose, we check it on a regular basis now. It caused the system to not downshift a couple of times, I had to pull the lever twice to complete the shift. Easily fixed once we recognized what the problem was.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:45 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by modifier
Any info on Shiftech vs KMP?
I checked on Shiftech and they do have all the necessary components. KMP had a specific kit available for the cups though and it was available in North America along with the expertise to install it. There probably isn't much difference in the two systems, KMP just did a better job of assembling a pre-configured kit specifically for our cars.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:49 PM
McRae
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cid042
Thanks SG.

A last one : How does it handle a 6-2 very quick downshift ? (like coming to Adelaide at Magny Cours and braking, then downshifting 4 gears as quick as your fingers can do)
Had have drivers do exactly that on the 991 in that corner, worked perfectly.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:14 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Leigh,

is there a price difference between the 2?

I agree that KMP did a great job making it a plug and play kit. 10 hours of install from what i have heard seems very reasonable.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:50 AM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Many thanks for your answers
Old 12-12-2013, 11:16 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mobonic
Leigh,

I agree that KMP did a great job making it a plug and play kit. 10 hours of install from what i have heard seems very reasonable.
Not much difference although I didn't price exactly. One of the manufacturers expressed doubt that their system would work on a regular cup as they had only used it on an RSR. They didn't think the throttle response on the single butterfly cup was fast enough. KMP said they had a system pre-configured for a cup and it worked perfectly so I stopped shopping. I was expecting $15k installed and it was closer to $13k I was pleasantly surprised
Old 12-13-2013, 12:40 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mobonic
Leigh,

it aint 10 hours. just aint. brian @ HRD i think did about 3,4 of them, so knows them well better than most, for sure better than a top tech at a shop opening a KMP box for the very first time. it was still 14, 15 hours and if youwant everythign done just right and perfect, etc. could be that bit more. makign nice switches on the dash panel, and perfect mounts and calbe runs.
id estimate 15 to be safe. and that assuems you dont run into any snags what so ever. on two cups, brian had to fabricate some stuff for the pedal, etc.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:14 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

I was quoted and billed for 10 hours, but it might very well have taken longer. I was the first one in our area to have one installed and they were training the local installer. Nice neat job I can certainly see that it could take longer than the 10 quoted.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:04 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Leigh2
I was quoted and billed for 10 hours, but it might very well have taken longer. I was the first one in our area to have one installed and they were training the local installer. Nice neat job I can certainly see that it could take longer than the 10 quoted.
very fair and reasonable thing for the shop to do because one could argue that you shouldnt necessarily pay for a shop's learning curve. then again, its kind of a very particular one-off system. well done.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:10 AM
Heinlein Racing
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There are several factors can affect the installation time of a paddle system. If you interested having one installed for you, I would be happy to walk you true it. Call us Monday...
We have a KMP system on stock if interested.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:40 AM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Heinlein Racing
There are several factors can affect the installation time of a paddle system. If you interested having one installed for you, I would be happy to walk you true it. Call us Monday...
We have a KMP system on stock if interested.
I would be very happpy to, but France - NJ will be the problem
Old 12-14-2013, 09:56 AM
Yannick-HST
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 56 Posts

Hey Cedric!

Call the guys @ KMP directly! They're super helpful and will answer all your questions.

We're not sure wheter to install one or not... I, for my part, would love to see one working while I'm on the passenger-seat or driving the car to get a feel for it. Video helps for sure but doesen't give you a real 100%-real world-feedback.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:53 AM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im also dreaming of a padfle shift kit

Can we list the pros here, what can be expected ?
Old 12-15-2013, 11:13 AM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Yannick-HST
Hey Cedric!

Call the guys @ KMP directly! They're super helpful and will answer all your questions.

We're not sure wheter to install one or not... I, for my part, would love to see one working while I'm on the passenger-seat or driving the car to get a feel for it. Video helps for sure but doesen't give you a real 100%-real world-feedback.
I e-mailed Pascal a few days ago. Waiting for his answer, which shouldn't take too long.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:19 AM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rickard 993 Turbo
Im also dreaming of a padfle shift kit

Can we list the pros here, what can be expected ?
For me : Pros :
* Fatal overrev downshift electronically avoided
* Better wear on dogrings due to the more consistent downshift (not prone to human error/tire) & better blip than mechanical "fixed" blipping systems (PM/Manthey)
* Keeping both hands on the steering wheel while braking
* Keeping both hands on the steering wheel while having to upshift exiting a curb
* No clutch on downshift, baby !

ARGH !!!! I need one !

Quick Reply: KMP paddle shift kit