Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

KMP paddle shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 06:35 PM
modifier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like a great addition to me. I'll probably do it in the future. I already have a blipper so I'll run with just that for a while.

Or just live with the 997 as is until 991s become more affordable.

Too bad you can't get an extra $15k if you sell the car, if it is installed. Maybe 5? Provided the buyer understands what he's getting.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:52 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cid042
For me : Pros :
* Fatal overrev downshift electronically avoided
* Better wear on dogrings due to the more consistent downshift (not prone to human error/tire) & better blip than mechanical "fixed" blipping systems (PM/Manthey)
* Keeping both hands on the steering wheel while braking
* Keeping both hands on the steering wheel while having to upshift exiting a curb
* No clutch on downshift, baby !

ARGH !!!! I need one !
These are certainly the advantages that I expected (and got) but was pleasantly surprised by how much less effort it took to drive the car. I wasn't even aware how much effort it normally took until I popped out of the car after a long race with the paddle shifter feeling quite refreshed. Keeping both hands on the wheel and left foot on the dead pedal keeps you braced all the time it made a noticeable difference.
The other thing I noticed was that I was making better use of the rpm. Using the stick I would sometimes not shift into 2nd in a couple of corners knowing that seconds later I'd have to up-shift...just lazy. No issue now when all you have to do is flick a finger....plus no chance of an over-rev.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:17 PM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting notes

Any one have better there lap times becouse of this ?
Old 12-15-2013, 09:02 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickard 993 Turbo
Interesting notes

Any one have better there lap times becouse of this ?
my guess is that lap times might be greater influenced from suhc a system later in a stint. at LRP last year, was running really good laps and later as things got hotter, tighter, more serious in the stint, and the pace picked up, i was hitting the rev limiter at the exit curbing edge off the downhill on the left. i was just a bit overloaded and kept forgetting to reach fo rthe big lever and i think i bumped the rev limiter a few times. wasnt great, but it definately isnt ideal.
a few times i was all over that curb and didnt want to take my hands off till off that curb. i should have maybe been a gear higher but that was th ebest gear as the next was too tall. had i had paddles, a nice one finger touch there woudl have been sweet to have.
on the downshifts, when you're in the thick of battle, you have to remember to clutch and hammer that lever; with paddles, none of that.
so calm relaxed, no pressue, it could be a wash. when things pick up, they are a huge asset. if they werent valueable you wouldnt see every the GT GTD etc cars with them.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:19 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

These paddle shift kits, an an otherwise stock 997 gearbox, do away with needing to use the clutch on downshifts?!?
Old 12-15-2013, 09:39 PM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SG-ZSAMotorsport
my guess is that lap times might be greater influenced from suhc a system later in a stint. at LRP last year, was running really good laps and later as things got hotter, tighter, more serious in the stint, and the pace picked up, i was hitting the rev limiter at the exit curbing edge off the downhill on the left. i was just a bit overloaded and kept forgetting to reach fo rthe big lever and i think i bumped the rev limiter a few times. wasnt great, but it definately isnt ideal.
a few times i was all over that curb and didnt want to take my hands off till off that curb. i should have maybe been a gear higher but that was th ebest gear as the next was too tall. had i had paddles, a nice one finger touch there woudl have been sweet to have.
on the downshifts, when you're in the thick of battle, you have to remember to clutch and hammer that lever; with paddles, none of that.
so calm relaxed, no pressue, it could be a wash. when things pick up, they are a huge asset. if they werent valueable you wouldnt see every the GT GTD etc cars with them.
That's true

All factory racers has them standard now. That's why I think I need a kit also.. One more thing to play with

In my car with 650hp, both hands on the steering wheel are nice to have
Old 12-16-2013, 01:37 AM
McRae
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
These paddle shift kits, an an otherwise stock 997 gearbox, do away with needing to use the clutch on downshifts?!?
You don't need to clutch with the stickshift either, as long as you revmatch properly (either if you're good with your foot or use a blipper). Had a driver for 3 seasons that never touched the clutch other than in the pitlane, no difference on wear and tear in the gearbox compared to the other guys that used the clutch on downshift (no blipper, just footwork on him).
Old 12-16-2013, 03:22 AM
HJK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
Mike, you dont need to clutch on downshifts, the KMP brain hooks into the Bosch ECU and matches the revs. Its working flawless in my car. I just took my gearbox out to change the clutch for the last race of the season coming up and noticed that the clutch looked nice and good too. No burn spots nothing and i think wear is less, but thats not objective.

On the cost side, its easy to install and easy to take out so if you sell the car you just bring the paddle shifter to your new cup.

And you can access software yourself or have the guys in Holland look over your shoulder when you do that. I just upped my downshift max revs so that the shiftlights blink on the downshifts, you can soften the blip and adjust shifting points for wet race etc, and of course you have the flip switch in the dash to go back manual at any timne....

in the last vids in our channel you see how she works.... http://www.youtube.com/user/bqracing
Old 12-16-2013, 08:14 AM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HJK
Mike, you dont need to clutch on downshifts, the KMP brain hooks into the Bosch ECU and matches the revs. Its working flawless in my car. I just took my gearbox out to change the clutch for the last race of the season coming up and noticed that the clutch looked nice and good too. No burn spots nothing and i think wear is less, but thats not objective.

On the cost side, its easy to install and easy to take out so if you sell the car you just bring the paddle shifter to your new cup.

And you can access software yourself or have the guys in Holland look over your shoulder when you do that. I just upped my downshift max revs so that the shiftlights blink on the downshifts, you can soften the blip and adjust shifting points for wet race etc, and of course you have the flip switch in the dash to go back manual at any timne....

in the last vids in our channel you see how she works.... http://www.youtube.com/user/bqracing
From what you say, it seems to me that the blip is a setting. Doesn't the "brain" of the KMP system adapt the blip to the current engaged gear and current rpm ?

I mean, not like my "stupid" blipper that is tied to 35 % throttle without knowledge of my current gear/rpm and that is sometimes too much, sometimes too less...
Old 12-16-2013, 02:45 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

From what you say, it seems to me that the blip is a setting. Doesn't the "brain" of the KMP system adapt the blip to the current engaged gear and current rpm ?

I mean, not like my "stupid" blipper that is tied to 35 % throttle without knowledge of my current gear/rpm and that is sometimes too much, sometimes too less...
The KMP system completely synchronizes the downshifts. Virtually perfectly every time and brutally efficient. You pull on the lever and WHAM it goes into gear....

The system will not engage first gear from neutral, so when you start out you need to depress the clutch and pull the lever into first gear. After that the operation is completely clutch-less, until you stop the car. Again the system will not shift from first into neutral so you have to manually shift from first into neutral. Reverse has to be manually engaged as well. This way if the steering wheel falls off the hook or the paddles get touched while the car is idling in neutral it won't go into gear.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SG-ZSAMotorsport
One of the incidents I had that sold me on the system happened at Miller. I was about to passed by Potter in his Grand-Am car just as I was entering the Attitudes, which is a quick left-right-left (both hands on the wheel) with a double downshift just as you enter. Potter arrived on my bumper just as the water pressure alarm went off just as I was entering the sequence. I blew one of the downshifts because I didn't push the lever hard enough so exited the corner like a wet noodle. I'm lucky I wasn't Potter's new hood ornament...I ordered the KMP shortly there after.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:36 PM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Leigh2
The KMP system completely synchronizes the downshifts. Virtually perfectly every time and brutally efficient. You pull on the lever and WHAM it goes into gear....

The system will not engage first gear from neutral, so when you start out you need to depress the clutch and pull the lever into first gear. After that the operation is completely clutch-less, until you stop the car. Again the system will not shift from first into neutral so you have to manually shift from first into neutral. Reverse has to be manually engaged as well. This way if the steering wheel falls off the hook or the paddles get touched while the car is idling in neutral it won't go into gear.
Many thanks for your answer. Quite sold to it !
Old 12-17-2013, 02:43 AM
HJK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The blip is fixed, its the timing of the shift that matches the dropping revs on the downshift. You can adjust target rpm at downshift in the software. So you can literally pull the paddles and it will only shift down when it calculates it will match max revs or below that.

It is nifty and relatively simple (apart from the brain).

Henk
Old 12-18-2013, 11:33 AM
cup997laurent
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

Does anyone tried the proshift system ?
they say they have plugin kits for 997 cups.

http://www.proshift.com/
Old 12-18-2013, 01:08 PM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HJK
The blip is fixed, its the timing of the shift that matches the dropping revs on the downshift. You can adjust target rpm at downshift in the software. So you can literally pull the paddles and it will only shift down when it calculates it will match max revs or below that.

It is nifty and relatively simple (apart from the brain).

Henk
Thanks for your answer. So no drivetrain upset, whichever rpm your downshift, if I understand it well.

Are you also saying that you may, as on a Ferrari F1 box, begin your braking, pull 4 times the left paddle, then the system will downshift at the right rpm ?

Quick Reply: KMP paddle shift kit