Sponsored by:

KMP paddle shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 05:27 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by gt2urbo
hjk, keep us informed. im on the fence with it. what system do they use in the 991 cup cars? they they are sequential and paddle shift.

anyone know anything about a albins trannys? they are used in v8 super cars.
The Albins gearbox in the V8 Super Cars, which is new this year and is replacing the tried and true Holinger gearbox that has been in the cars for the last decade, is having a lot of problems. The failure rate on them is massive and the teams have basically formed an embargo where they refuse to pay for replacements because in some instances the gearboxes are eating themselves in 20 or 30 minutes of track time. And it is having huge repurcussions on Albins Porsche product line. I know people who have been waiting more than a year for gears or ring and pinion sets that they ordered for their Porsches while Albins tries to clean up the V8 Supercar mess.

The 991 Cup Cars does not use the KMP paddle shifters, though if Porsche was smart they would have used it. KMPs system is the only system, other than the stock console mounted shifter, that we are going to spec and recommend for our new proprietary Cup Car sequential gearbox.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:33 PM
gt2urbo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks gtgears. Do you know how much if any the kmp shift systems extends the life of certain parts (dog rings and gears.) as advertised by pascal kmp. I would think it would be worth it if it doubles the life of some of parts. thanks
Old 06-14-2013, 01:22 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Here's the thing about lifespan. While I don't doubt Pascal's claim that one can run a set of dog rings with his shifters to 100 hours, I personally wouldn't ever run a 3rd gear that long. I'd time out a factory 3rd gear at 1/4 that time, max. I also wouldn't run the stronger more durable ratios, like 4th, 5th and 6th 100 hours without changing them. Those ratios I wouldn't run over 30-40 hours.

We regularly run our own gears to 40 or 50 hours, though still recommend something around 30 hours on 3rd.

The point is that it will reduce your service costs over the long term as you see things like claw collars and dog rings last longer, but the life of a gear is the life of a gear and you can't change that with any sort of shifter.

A lot of it also depends on the skillset of the driver in the first place. I see guys who need new 3rd gear dog teeth every 10-12 hours. I see other drivers who can get 30+ hours out of a gearbox and not need a single thing. For driver A, the paddle shifters will save him $10's of thousands. For driver B the gains won't be so great.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:31 PM
porschemanrsr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new 991 cup cars are running Shiftec AFAIK

The Geartronics paddleshift system is excellent and very well proven as is Shiftec and KMP
Old 06-14-2013, 03:16 PM
gt2urbo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks gtgears , thats good info. Why do you recommend the kmp over the shifttech(991 factory cup paddle) I dont seem to wear the box our very quickly but i think it may be worth it as a preventative measure.
porschemanrsr, geartronics is something im gonna look into but it seems like alot of people like the kmp system.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:15 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

I have a working relationship with KMP. Pascal sells my parts in Europe and I believe he is the best one to work with on our new gearbox. He is committed to making sure that his parts and my gearbox work perfectly together. I'm not saying anyone else makes a bad product. I'm just saying that I am partnering with him because I believe he makes a quality product that will compliment what we do.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:24 AM
HJK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
I have a working relationship with KMP. Pascal sells my parts in Europe and I believe he is the best one to work with on our new gearbox. He is committed to making sure that his parts and my gearbox work perfectly together. I'm not saying anyone else makes a bad product. I'm just saying that I am partnering with him because I believe he makes a quality product that will compliment what we do.
Does that mean that the KMP gears I have in my box are made by you? If yes, cool..... They work well.
Henk
Old 06-16-2013, 06:47 PM
dass
Instructor

Your gears are likely made by modena engineering in Australia.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:07 AM
HJK
Pro

As promised, we installed the KMP paddle shifter kit yesterday, nifty system and well prepared. Hooks into the wiring in order to avoid downshifts causing over revs, also you cant downshift when on throttle etc etc. Manual switch in dash to go from paddle to gearlever usage etc. It looks good, feels good. Tuesday out for testing. The software runs the system so it needs to know the gearing in order to establish the blips and a bit of calibration. In the pics you see the paddles installed, the hardware that runs it and the pneumatics to shift and blip.
Attached Images     
Old 07-07-2013, 11:13 AM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Henk - keep us updated please on the test Tuesday.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:48 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

looks awesome
Old 07-08-2013, 02:17 PM
joeykid
Instructor

i am having my kit installed now. we received it from Wright Motorsports a week ago. we will be testing the car next week at David Murry NJMP. will advise outcome.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:00 AM
HJK
Pro

Here s a bit of onboard with the KMP shifter
Track a bit wet, but alas...
Old 07-10-2013, 11:05 AM
HJK
Pro

It works flawless, good kit, all complete, reversible, toggle switch to go manual, its all there. Love it.
Henk
Old 07-10-2013, 11:07 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

My K-M-P system goes in this week...Wright Motorsports via Snow racing in Utah.

So Henk what's your overall impression now that you've tried it?

Quick Reply: KMP paddle shift kit