Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 11:47 AM
orca15
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 158 Posts

FYI if you got the MY2022 OEM "Charger" recall (240V setting may heat up socket and cause fire)

Buried in the text was an offer to pay up to $600 for a 3rd party charger, which I took them up on, got a check today covering the cost of a wall-mounted charger. Thanks, Porsche. Minimal hassle to submit a claim.

Apparently they are going to replace the OEM charger at some point with one that has a temp sensor, but don;t have the parts yet. Also, apparently, I will still get the replacement when it comes, although I rarely use my OEM charger cable on 240V.
The following users liked this post:
jbkanas (03-20-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 01:51 PM
jbkanas
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank you for bringing the "buried text" to our attention. I just filed for cash remedy to offset the cost of the EV charger I installed awhile back.
Old 03-24-2024, 02:41 PM
Zola3515
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Any recommendations for what charger to buy?
Old 03-24-2024, 06:46 PM
capuman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zola3515
Any recommendations for what charger to buy?
Im really happy with this one I got from AliExpress about 4 years ago. So much that I have 2, as I have two places to charge. Works great and gives full 32amp.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_ExnWW5X

There are others, just read reviews before buying.
The following users liked this post:
MKC91 (03-24-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 02:55 PM
BC Eddie
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any recommendations for Warranty companies?

Can anyone recommend an extended warranty company that they are actually using/used (or know a friend who has) and have had a positive experience with?

I am hoping they operate in Canada and that their policy covers the battery beyond the 8yr coverage that Porsche gives us in Canada.

I have a 2018, it still has 2 years left on my battery coverage, my car has been great and I want to keep it forever. But the horror stories I hear about the cost to replace the HV battery if it fails has me concerned.

Porsche's extended warranty specifically excludes the HV battery -hmmm?

TIA
Old 04-19-2024, 04:44 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I never buy extended warranties. Before I retired I was an insurance underwriter. The most profitable business we had was extended warranty insurance both automobile and domestic white goods. Extended warranty schemes are also notorious for trying to wriggle out of paying claims. I just put the annual cost of such an insurance into a tax free ISA account, against the possibility of a large repair bill. As given my age and poor health, I now only put around 5000 miles a year on my Panamera, so extended warranty is particularly poor value for me.

Wilson
Old 04-19-2024, 02:13 PM
BC Eddie
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wilson, I agree with you for the most part and have never bought extended coverage on anything before.

I too am getting on in years and only drive about 11,000 KM per year. However, after reading about someone on this Forum being quoted $30K USD for a battery replacement, I am concerned about the cost enough to consider "reasonably priced" extended warranty insurance.

Just bought a 2024 Kia Niro EV (to replace a very reliable 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT ) and considered buying an extended warranty (plan cost about $4000) on it that extends the Kia warranty by 5 years on most components, but the "fine print" of the contract specifically caps the battery coverage at $7500- so I am not buying. It was only for battery coverage that I even inquired about it.

The Porsche extended warranty does not cover the battery at all.

The fact that I am having a problem finding a company in the market willing to insure against battery failure (beyond partial coverage and at a reasonable cost) is a bit disconcerting.

Last edited by BC Eddie; 04-19-2024 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-20-2024, 05:23 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

I am not too worried about the battery. I spoke to my local Porsche dealer, who also own other dealerships in the UK and they told me that other than accident damage, they are yet to have to replace a 971 Panamera Hybrid lithium battery. Also they reminded me that the battery is modular and in the event of bad cells, just a single module can be replaced. I asked the UK price of the battery when I bought the car in 2017 and was told it was £8,000 plus labour to fit. Now inflation may have increased that but to set against that Lithium battery prices have dropped somewhat since 2017.

I have recently bought an extra battery for my mobility scooter. It is a 24V 240 watt hour Lithium ion battery or 10 amp/hours. It cost an eyewatering £500. A similar battery of the same voltage and capacity on Alibaba cost £70 for the high quality version using Tesla grade cells. Now I accept that there would be additional costs in getting the battery for the scooter CE and BS tested and certificated plus the cost of a special casing with carry handle and shielded connectors but my guess is that there is huge profit margin built in to the UK RRP of the scooter battery. The same might apply to a Panamera Hybrid battery.

One thing I am careful of when I am at my house in the south of France, where summer temperatures can reach 44ºC in spite of its 2500 feet/760M of altitude, is only to charge my battery at night on the built in timer, when temperatures will be somewhat lower. I understand that charging a very hot battery is very deleterious to its life.

Wilson

Last edited by Wilson Laidlaw; 04-20-2024 at 05:30 AM.
Old 04-22-2024, 04:13 PM
Brockoli64
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

...The Porsche extended warranty does not cover the battery at all.

The fact that I am having a problem finding a company in the market willing to insure against battery failure (beyond partial coverage and at a reasonable cost) is a bit disconcerting.[/QUOTE]

I work in healthcare. The concept of insurance is we all put money in a pot and when an untimely or rare occurrence happens to one of us, that money goes to that person. Insurance allows us to avoid catastrophes in life.
EV Batteries will all fail in time, you can't insure for that. The insurance company will have to charge you more than the cost of the battery over time.
I'm with Wilson, put the same money in a "battery" account. You get the interest instead of them.
Old 04-23-2024, 06:00 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Having been an insurance underwriter, the sort of risks we hate, are those where we cannot get a "feel" for the risk parameters. In that the gen. 2 Porsche Hybrid batteries seem to be being pretty reliable, there is not much in the way of failure statistics on which to base a quote. Therefore to allow for unexpected factors (the batteries all get to 8½ years old and then suddenly fail), the quote would probably be unrealistically high.

Wilson

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread