Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 03:05 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Pana TJ
Recent discussions about the rear wiper operation when in reverse has me asking a general question.... Those with the rear wiper, do you find it helpful/necessary/must have? Those without the rear wiper, do you regret not getting it or miss it? I had it specked originally but my SA talked me out of it. His opinion was that it will not be missed and it only detracts from the overall look. I appreciate your feedback and opinions. Thanks
I don't have the rear wiper and I am glad I didn't spec it as I think it does negatively affect the look of the car. That said, if I lived in an area where I had a lot of rainy or snowy weather, that could make a difference. When I had my car protected with Xpel Ultimate Plus and Ceramic Pro coating, they also treated all the glass on the car with a Ceramic Pro product that is supposed to improve visibility by draining the rain quickly off the windows. My only experience with it so far has been when I'm washing the car and the rear window does in fact drain very quickly so I don't anticipate any problem resulting from not having the rear wiper. Again, you should consider the environment in which you will be driving your car.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:06 PM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I have just ordered a bottle of Rain-X spray for my rear-wiper-less Panamera. I knew I had a bottle in my tool trolley but it had turned to gunge. Not surprising as it dated from when I did European Hill Climb Championship in an F2 Ralt-BMW, where my last year was 1999! The weather has been dreadful in the south of France this year and it has never stopped raining since I got here in April.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:36 PM
Clandrel
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tested the actual electric range two times now. Fully charged 45km range. Outside temp: 20 celsius.
Normal driving (60-80km/h) in various roads. Both times I managed 42km. I'm very impressed!

The X5, MB and Volvo I've tried doesn't even come close!

/c
Old 06-11-2018, 05:05 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My GPS...they have now changed the wiring and NOTHING.

So wiring, computer and GPS antenna. What is there left?! At what point do they change the car?
Old 06-11-2018, 06:06 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Pana TJ
Recent discussions about the rear wiper operation when in reverse has me asking a general question.... Those with the rear wiper, do you find it helpful/necessary/must have? Those without the rear wiper, do you regret not getting it or miss it? I had it specked originally but my SA talked me out of it. His opinion was that it will not be missed and it only detracts from the overall look. I appreciate your feedback and opinions. Thanks
Was standard on my 2015 SE Hybrid.
I ordered it on the Panamera 4 Hybrid, so did my business partner. We were surprised it was even an option.

Firstly I have front and rear cams, so with rain on the rear screen my camera might (will and have ) have issues seeing a number plate.
I don't use it so often, but press it randomly when I spot the rear screen is full of rain.

Does it detract from the look, er no.

Look at my rear photo a couple of pages back - does it ? For sure no one noticed it until I just pointed it out.

In my opinion its essential. (at least in UK )

I have Gtechniq coating on my car including the glass, great (amazing) on the front screen, perhaps not so bad on rear screen.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:39 AM
K777
Racer

Originally Posted by ajriches01
My GPS...they have now changed the wiring and NOTHING.

So wiring, computer and GPS antenna. What is there left?! At what point do they change the car?
Oh dear.
the guy I am in contact with at PCGB insists they are no antenna available that have been quality approved so doesn't know whats happening with your car.
He also said that production of new cars is also being delayed (albeit I half take this with a pinch of salt)
Old 06-11-2018, 08:18 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

The odd thing is that the replacement parts they fitted to my Panamera last November (antennae behind rear view mirror and front bumper, antenna control module and GPS module plus maybe the tracker module) completely cured the problems, so whoever makes these parts (? Bosch) can at least make some that work. I am guessing that the problem is consistency. I have suggested AJ or his dealer contacts my dealer to see what they did to cure the problem.

I would have thought that GPS technology was old enough now for any problems to have been ironed out. My E39 shape Alpina B10-V8 had built in GPS with a dashboard screen in 1997, over 20 years ago and albeit rather low resolution and with primitive mapping, it worked 100% reliably. It looks like a Porsche blind spot, as the GPS in my 2002 996 Turbo was dreadful, lost most of the time and showed you where you had been 30 minutes previously. It was so bad that I bought a TomTom to stick on the windscreen. The GPS in my 997 Turbo was a bit better but still primitive and as for the £600 mapping update DVD's - rip off!

Wilson
Old 06-11-2018, 12:19 PM
K777
Racer

Its ridiculous to be honest, my biz partners identical car is 2 months or so older, and no issue at all.
The amount of clout Porsche must have with the manufacturer you would think it would be sorted in days not months - I am 5 months now without a reliable GPS.
I don't want a new car or my money back, or even the compensation I have already had, I just simply want a GPS that works reliably, it cannot be that hard - Its not a big ask. Its been round for many years.
Porsche, after 5 months, should have an alternative manufacturer lined up ready to step in.
I would imagine an alternative manufacturer would bend over backwards to get their product on Porsche assembly line.
Bosch or whoever, should be working flat out to keep their product on Porsche's assembly line.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:47 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Default PG&E Clean Fuel Rebate

So I just finished applying for the $500 rebate from PG&E (Pacific Gas & Electric), my utility. Turns out the Porsche Panamera 4 E-Hybrid (and prior year models as well) qualifies for a $500 rebate check from PG&E!! It is called the Clean Fuel Rebate and you can easily submit it online. Thankfully somebody asked me if I had applied and I didn't know anything about it.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:50 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Default CD Player

Another thing I just learned. I was debating ordering the 6 Disc Player when I speccd my car originally because the SA told me I wouldn't be able to play CD's in the car without it. We like to listen to books on CDs when we drive long distances but I figured I would just download them onto my iPhone when needed. Well I just realized the car has a CD player built into the glove compartment and it works just fine. We will have to change out each CD but now I'm really glad I didn't spec the 6 Disc player.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:55 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha CDs! Come on Saratoga, get with the times!

K777, had not realised yours was still not working. I have asked my dealer to speak with Wilson's as it sounds like an identical issue. Driving down to near Bordeaux on Thursday without a working Nav is not ideal but couldn't leave the fun car at home. Hopefully when we get back they will have worked out a proper plan of action.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:27 AM
K777
Racer

K777, had not realised yours was still not working. I have asked my dealer to speak with Wilson's as it sounds like an identical issue. Driving down to near Bordeaux on Thursday without a working Nav is not ideal but couldn't leave the fun car at home. Hopefully when we get back they will have worked out a proper plan of action.
It works sometimes, but then randomly loses where it is, and then suddenly a few days later its back at the right place.
Whats odd is that its showing no satellite connections, but still can navigate without them.
The problem is, we only need GPS when we don't know the area, and its the risk of it losing its location in the middle of N7 (which it does everytime) or somewhere else extremely busy and stressful when you have no clue where the heck you are.
I can use the airplay map, but that seems to not be accurate too, so typically just use the phone when needed.

If I needed it more often I would be kicking off a lot more.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:56 PM
FriscoTexasGuy
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default MY19 Build

Hi all - Would appreciate your opinion on the following build that I created for my MY19 order that will be placed next month. Thanks!

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJXIMTM9
Old 06-12-2018, 01:04 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

I don't use CD's for music but we do like to listen to "Books On Tape" via CD's when we take long drives. Get them from the local library for free and they have latest volumes so why not??
Old 06-12-2018, 03:19 PM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

I too get DVD's of audio books from a friend in the book publishing business and find it incredibly irritating that my £700 multi disc player will not play them. Yes of course I can load them onto my iPod but then I have to scroll through to find the book I want to play and the last place I was at in the book, after playing music from my iPod, which I do for most of the time in France. The two classical music stations I can receive, Culture and Musique unfortunately in a typical French fashion, spend far too much of the time with self-satisfied bores pontificating about the music instead of playing it.

I have just coated my rear screen with Rain-X, with the small amount that remained in the spray, after the ultimate delivery idiots GLS, delivered it to me today, squashed flat with the bottle cracked. GLS must be the world's worst couriers, whose motto is: "We deliver late or broken but usually - both." They lost the replacement rear wheel bearings I needed for my Morgan Three Wheeler to go on a rally but took two weeks to get them from Paris to the Paul Ricard Circuit, so I missed the pre-paid rally. I will report if the Rain-X makes any difference. I have never been a great fan but that is on perspex screens on race cars. It may be more effective on glass.

Wilson

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread