Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 01:38 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Good point, Wilson, about lightning, which I hadn't really thought about much. I think that I'll consciously make sure that my car is not plugged in when the weather reports specify a chance of thunderstorms in my area, even though the chances of the car being affected (if plugged in) are probably minimal; no point in taking risks in such a case.

My car is nearing 500 miles on the odometer (work constraints have prevented me from taking longer trips just yet, so it's mainly been used for local trips and commuting so far).
I am finding that the estimated electric range for the batteries is fairly consistently 1.2 times greater than I'm getting in reality; in other words, if I multiply the car computer's estimated range by 0.83, I get fairly close the actual all-electric miles that I'm getting while driving. When fully charged, it is stating 25-26 miles usually as the estimated range, and I'm getting probably close to 21 miles, from my calculations. I still have only used about 0.7 tank of gas while driving about 490 miles, so that's about 33 mpg overall in driving that's been roughly 2/3 city streets and 1/3 expressways. I have had the car up to 100 mph once so far, and it's amazing how stable it feels (seems like you're only going 60 mph).

I've not experienced any of the problems that others have reported here (such as "check engine" light coming on, navigation issues, etc.), thank goodness. The GPS works perfectly for the map location. I'm not very keen on the Porsche Connect stuff; there's very little there of use. Google Earth is interesting but not absolutely necessary (the plain map is fine, as I can get Google Earth on my iPhone). The color-coded traffic flow is a huge disappointment, as it only seems to work with expressways or major 4-lane highways (and the traffic flow is not as easy to "read" as the colors on Google Maps), and I really need it for lesser roads a lot (so will continue to resort to Google Maps on my iPhone). I wish that we could just have Google Maps thrown onto the car's computer screen from our iPhone.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:25 PM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
I wish that we could just have Google Maps thrown onto the car's computer screen from our iPhone.
I though we could from what others have posted. However I believe you have to have your iPhone connected by cable and not bluetooth to get this function.

Wilson
Old 06-04-2018, 07:48 AM
thorfun
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson Laidlaw
I checked on my car connect app a few minutes ago and my Panamera had just finished charging, showing 47km. I was just going outside to unplug it, when the lightning proximity (20km) alarm on my iPad made its thunder noise. It made me wonder how well the Panamera and the universal charger are protected against surges caused by nearby lightning strikes. I live in a very lightning prone (summer storms) area and my house at the top of a 400 metre high cliff is the first object a storm sees, to have a go at. In the 15 years I have had the house, it has been struck twice or to be more accurate the satellite dish was struck once and the telephone cable to the house struck once, the latter on the day I bought the house totally empty, so the only damage was the phone I had plugged in, which disintegrated and the remnants went on fire. When the satellite dish was struck, I had a €12,000+ claim on my lightning insurance. Most electrical and all electronic items connected to mains electricity were killed. I now have large surge absorption capacitors in the cellar and fast gas switch earth diverters for all three phases, the incoming phone line and incoming satellite feeds . However this does not protect items outside the house and a couple of years ago, a nearby strike killed the electronic control on swimming pool cleaner sitting outside the house, which was plugged into mains but not actually operating at the time.

I am concerned that if there is a nearby strike, while the car is charging, at best it would kill the universal charger, which I suspect costs close to €2000 and/or could either damage the car's lithium battery or at worst set it on fire, with the charger cable a route into the vehicle to break through the normal Faraday cage that protects cars against lightning.

Wilson
would a lightning conductor help with this? I've previously lived in a converted church and we had a lightning conductor on the steeple.

just curious is all!
Old 06-04-2018, 08:41 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by thorfun
would a lightning conductor help with this? I've previously lived in a converted church and we had a lightning conductor on the steeple.

just curious is all!
My house is a bit unique. It was built by an architect as his own retirement house and he was a pupil of Le Corbusier. It is built in the Le Corbusier style with massively thick curved walls with a reinforced concrete core faced with large irregular limestone blocks plus loads of floor to ceiling windows, varying from 15 foot wide to 1 foot wide. I had the lightning expert from my insurer look at the house after my large claim, with a view to recommending precautions. He felt, as the steel reinforcing, which for earthquake proofing is welded at floor and ceiling level, effectively forms a Faraday cage, a lightning conductor would not really assist. The ground around and under the house is coral limestone and is not a good conductor, which would greatly reduce the efficiency of any lightning conductor. I have had to hammer in multiple 1.5 meter long copper spikes to get anything approaching a decent earth for my normal electricity supply and the earth diverter switches. What the expert recommended me to do was put in surge absorption capacitors and fast cut off diverters for any cables which entered the house and provided a route through the Faraday cage. It would be a similar thing on the Panamera, where the charge cable would provide an access route for a surge, through the Faraday cage of the car's bodywork. That is why I wondered if Porsche had thought of this and put in fast blow fuses in the charge circuit, to protect the lithium battery, in the event of a lightning surge.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:47 AM
thorfun
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson Laidlaw
My house is a bit unique. It was built by an architect as his own retirement house and he was a pupil of Le Corbusier. It is built in the Le Corbusier style with massively thick curved walls with a reinforced concrete core faced with large irregular limestone blocks plus loads of floor to ceiling windows, varying from 15 foot wide to 1 foot wide. I had the lightning expert from my insurer look at the house after my large claim, with a view to recommending precautions. He felt, as the steel reinforcing, which for earthquake proofing is welded at floor and ceiling level, effectively forms a Faraday cage, a lightning conductor would not really assist. The ground around and under the house is coral limestone and is not a good conductor, which would greatly reduce the efficiency of any lightning conductor. I have had to hammer in multiple 1.5 meter long copper spikes to get anything approaching a decent earth for my normal electricity supply and the earth diverter switches. What the expert recommended me to do was put in surge absorption capacitors and fast cut off diverters for any cables which entered the house and provided a route through the Faraday cage. It would be a similar thing on the Panamera, where the charge cable would provide an access route for a surge, through the Faraday cage of the car's bodywork. That is why I wondered if Porsche had thought of this and put in fast blow fuses in the charge circuit, to protect the lithium battery, in the event of a lightning surge.
sounds amazing! looks like you've considered everything already so hopefully Porsche can give you the answer you need.

good luck.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:32 PM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ajriches01
Good news, hopefully the end of the visits to the garage.

I pick up the Diesel Cayenne loaner today Better than the 320D last week but I miss my Hybrid!!
I've been away for a week, what's yours in for ?

I had an update on the antenna, "I hope you are well, Regrettably the antenna is still not meeting the quality standards of Porsche AG and has been rejected. Porsche AGs Technical Department are working with our supplier to get this resolved as quickly as possible. I completely understand how frustrating this situation must be and I am so sorry that I am unable to offer you better news at this time, I can only advise on the most up to date information I have. I will continue to monitor the situation daily and as soon as I have more information I will come back to you. "

My answer queried what are they putting in new cars - are they fitting parts that they know are not fit for purpose?

Almost 5 months for me know without GPS working 100%
Old 06-04-2018, 01:49 PM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

K777 - see "GPS Saga" thread. So I have not heard that message at all - I even challenged Porsche West London reiterating your message but was told that there are antennae in Germany and Reading which are being fitted and tested (indeed they've harvested one for me from demos that they know work).

The latest as of today (week 2 in the garage) is that the tracker might be interfering with the system so they are disconnecting this to see whether it makes a difference (when combined with a new CPU and antenna). Kind of makes sense assuming it has a separate GPS antenna and received, if they have been placed too close to each other. But then why would it work for 6 months...who knows.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:20 PM
lverheul
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rear ended

Unfortunately I got rear ended last week at about 30km/h. The young lady behind me wasn’t keeping enough distance.

The experience, though frustrating, taught me how important it is to drive a “proper” car. I was able to continue on my journey after the paperwork, while the Toyota Yaris has to be towed; the driver could only exit the car through the passenger door...

Old 06-05-2018, 03:52 AM
rsyed
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

that looks bad for 30km/h - hopefully everybody is well. Nevertheless, sorry that you have to go to through this.

On a (selfish) side note, I see you have a white panamera with sport design package and black taillights and black Porsche label. that is exactly the combination I orderd - being built in 2 weeks.

Do you happen to have more pics of your car? My only source for inspiration was mobile.de but real life pictures would be awesome :-)
Old 06-05-2018, 08:56 AM
K777
Racer

You will not be disappointed. Strangely a black "Porsche" wasn't an option in UK when I ordered in August. Not sure if Chrome or black is best for the Porsche part, but prefer the black Panamera logo's. (I even had mine painted on my previous 2015 car)

My business partner has the same, only he has black handles too, and we both love following each other.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:30 AM
rsyed
Racer

I have taken your car, K777, as an inspiration too but mainly for the front and the side views. Since I ordered a ST, Iverheul's car seems to be the one closest to what I have ordered :-)
Old 06-05-2018, 11:36 AM
K777
Racer

Originally Posted by rsyed
I have taken your car, K777, as an inspiration too but mainly for the front and the side views. Since I ordered a ST, Iverheul's car seems to be the one closest to what I have ordered :-)
Oh yeah didn't spot it was an ST.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:40 AM
rsyed
Racer

but awesome looking car K777....
Old 06-06-2018, 01:14 AM
KW411
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I now have few hundred KMs on my Sports Turismo e hybrid. Luckily, I have (so far) no issue with "check engine" or "GPS" issues. However, I have few other issues/questions

1) From times to times, I have a message displaying "key not found or key error, change key position". This even happens in the middle of driving. Not sure if it is the key battery problem?

2) PCM data connection thru iphone wifi hotspot - I am having a hard time in connecting to my iphone thru the wifi hotspot. It works only 1 out of 10 times. Any recommendations to fix or improve it?

3) In the PCM setup, there is a checkbox for "Rear wiper - automatically activate rear wiper when engaging reverse gear". What is it for and why do we need that?

4) In the Porsche manual, it lists that there is a setup for Car > Control > Vehicle > E-Sound to simulate engine noise in electronic operation. I can't find it in my PCM setup under the Car > Control submenu. Is it only limited to car with Sports Exhaust?
Old 06-06-2018, 05:58 AM
K777
Racer

Originally Posted by KW411
I now have few hundred KMs on my Sports Turismo e hybrid. Luckily, I have (so far) no issue with "check engine" or "GPS" issues. However, I have few other issues/questions

1) From times to times, I have a message displaying "key not found or key error, change key position". This even happens in the middle of driving. Not sure if it is the key battery problem?

2) PCM data connection thru iphone wifi hotspot - I am having a hard time in connecting to my iphone thru the wifi hotspot. It works only 1 out of 10 times. Any recommendations to fix or improve it?

3) In the PCM setup, there is a checkbox for "Rear wiper - automatically activate rear wiper when engaging reverse gear". What is it for and why do we need that?

4) In the Porsche manual, it lists that there is a setup for Car > Control > Vehicle > E-Sound to simulate engine noise in electronic operation. I can't find it in my PCM setup under the Car > Control submenu. Is it only limited to car with Sports Exhaust?
1. Where is your key ? In the boot/trunk - or in the door and door open ?
2. I haven't used.
3. Does what it says, wipes the rear screen if you put in reverse, Mines turned off, I can make that decision myself, as I can going forward.
4. Don't think I have on my car (not ST), and I have sports exhaust - will double check

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread