Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 05:32 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I am still waiting to hear from my dealer about high oil temperatures and low oil pressure (103-105º and 21psi/1.4 bar at 2000 RPM). A tad more urgency on what could be a serious issue would not come amiss. Over a week since I queried this and apart from an acknowledgement of receipt of the query, nothing heard.

Apparently the software update to correct the non-changing MPH to KPH speedometer is written and is now being installed in new build UK/RHD cars. Existing owners are due to be contacted soon to get the update installed. It is not clear at this point if this will have to be done at a dealer via the diagnostic port or can be done by owners via the USB port or OTA.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:52 AM
louver
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
I'm at only 150 miles on my new Pan4 ST E-Hybrid but will be eyeing the next few weeks closely regarding this potential problem.
I'll add to this request: can each of you who have experienced the check-engine-light problem please also note the approximate mileage that this happened to you, and briefly how you were using the electric-motor charging up until then (i.e., how much were you charging it from outlet vs. charging while driving).
As I noted before, my check-engine light first came on at 350 miles. What I may not have reported is that during our first four weeks we had no convenient way to plug the car in for charging. Then I had a new wall outlet installed in the garage (240v at 30amp), so we started charging at night and driving mostly in electric-only mode. It was just a day or two after this change when the light came on. I cannot say whether the change triggered the problem, but it seems possible.

Last edited by louver; 05-24-2018 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Added volts/amps.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:24 AM
thorfun
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
Interesting article. I haven't experienced the problem with the steering column as mine doesn't retract at all. I thought I had "ticked" the easy entry box in the menu and I expected the seat to move back and the steering wheel to move up, but for whatever reason mine don't move at all. The other problem he wrote about:

"The other quibble was with the Panamera's Apple CarPlay integration. For reasons best known to itself, when listening to podcasts the infotainment system kept switching over to SiriusXM without me asking, a practice that became annoying enough that I gave up on using CarPlay."

I have experienced this problem. I get into Apple Car Play and open the Amazon Music app and while I'm listening to something there it does move back to the Sirius XM station I was previously listening to and that I don't like at all. Not sure how to fix that problem??? If anyone knows the solution, I'd appreciate hearing it.
Hi Lefty,
I apologise if this has been answered but I've not been on the forum for a while and I'm just catching up!
I also thought I'd be getting the seat moving back and steering wheel retracting (and vice-versa for entrance) but it didn't work. then, after the car had been into the garage for some work it started working! don't know why but it did. the guy said he thought it was a software setting in the PCM and maybe the engineer switched it on so I still don't know how I got it working but maybe a call to your local dealer will get that issue sorted.

Old 05-25-2018, 01:08 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by thorfun
Hi Lefty,
I apologise if this has been answered but I've not been on the forum for a while and I'm just catching up!
I also thought I'd be getting the seat moving back and steering wheel retracting (and vice-versa for entrance) but it didn't work. then, after the car had been into the garage for some work it started working! don't know why but it did. the guy said he thought it was a software setting in the PCM and maybe the engineer switched it on so I still don't know how I got it working but maybe a call to your local dealer will get that issue sorted.

Thanks for the info Thorfun. My steering wheel does move in and upward but the seat doesn't move at all. Are both moving for you? I will be going into the dealer soon regarding a "Second Delivery" session to find out why my Apple Play and some other features aren't working properly so I will inquire about the seat movement at that time.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:54 PM
theCayenne
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info Thorfun. My steering wheel does move in and upward but the seat doesn't move at all. Are both moving for you? I will be going into the dealer soon regarding a "Second Delivery" session to find out why my Apple Play and some other features aren't working properly so I will inquire about the seat movement at that time.
Hey SaratogaLefty, Would be curious to see your system software info. I have started a thread with a screenshot of mine. I believe we both took delivery within days of each other and are both in California so it would be interesting to see if our software versions matche up
Old 05-28-2018, 07:22 AM
thorfun
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah, both move for me but I'm short!! so my seat is quite far forward. maybe if you're tall and have your seat far back it might not be able to move much or any further back to allow easier entrance?
Old 05-29-2018, 08:45 AM
TopKiti BKk
4th Gear

I just got e-hybrid and fully charge , the spec said 51 km for fully / fully changing.
by the ways, i got the 42 km as in picture
Has anyone this similar situation?
How do i got fully charge with 51 km?
is this problem with battery ?

Old 05-29-2018, 08:49 AM
TopKiti BKk
4th Gear

Just got my car with a small problem about battery charging not follow in spec in datasheet
My porsche panamera executive 2018 with fully charge only 42 km (datasheet =51km)

Old 05-29-2018, 08:53 AM
TopKiti BKk
4th Gear

My new Panamera just covered by protection film for protect surface , cost about 1,000$

I
Old 05-29-2018, 12:09 PM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, those are some serious mats...

The range will increase/decrease depending on ambient temperature, how often you fully de-charge and charge and your driving style. Sweet spot is about 21 degrees, 50 mph and fully de-charge/charge. I struggle about 24 miles at the moment but no fault with the battery. Good thing we do not own Teslas!
Old 05-29-2018, 05:16 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

I got my Pan4 ST E-H last Friday; today, I still only have about 370 miles on the odometer.
When it fully charges, it says [estimated range] 25-26 miles (40-42 km) generally. We have lots of hills here, so I think I'm not getting more than about 18-20 miles of range, but I'll try to get some figures; I am keeping a logbook of charging, mileage, and gas (so far I have not filled up on gas since it was full at the dealership, and I still have about 7-8 gallons left in the tank). I've calculated that my overall gas mileage thus far is close to 28 mpg (that includes electric+gas miles driven, and I've done a bunch of miles in E-Charge, E-Hold, Sport, and Sport Plus to recharge the electric batteries, which has brought the mileage figures down). What surprises me is that I can charge the electric batteries quickly while driving -- about 1 mile of charge for every 2 miles driven in ICE on E-Charge; I had figured it would be more like 5+ miles of ICE driving to get 1 mile of charge.
I've not yet been able to run the car through the batteries on electric-only (from full charge to zero charge), but I'll experiment with that soon.
I'm generally charging overnight in my garage from about 10-20% full (haven't been running it to zero because I like to come home through my neighborhood in quiet E-Power mode, so I keep a couple miles left conservatively when on the highway).

I will say this after only several days of driving this Sport Turismo: with the looks, the handling, the technology, the features, and the comfort, I believe this is the best 4-door car anywhere on the planet. The Turbo E-H might be better, but the Pan4 is plenty awesome for me (and the Turbo is way over-priced, thus my reason for it not being the best car on the planet). Power is not a problem for me with this car.

Last edited by cometguy; 05-29-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:39 AM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
I got my Pan4 ST E-H last Friday; today, I still only have about 370 miles on the odometer.
When it fully charges, it says [estimated range] 25-26 miles (40-42 km) generally. We have lots of hills here, so I think I'm not getting more than about 18-20 miles of range, but I'll try to get some figures; I am keeping a logbook of charging, mileage, and gas (so far I have not filled up on gas since it was full at the dealership, and I still have about 7-8 gallons left in the tank). I've calculated that my overall gas mileage thus far is close to 28 mpg (that includes electric+gas miles driven, and I've done a bunch of miles in E-Charge, E-Hold, Sport, and Sport Plus to recharge the electric batteries, which has brought the mileage figures down). What surprises me is that I can charge the electric batteries quickly while driving -- about 1 mile of charge for every 2 miles driven in ICE on E-Charge; I had figured it would be more like 5+ miles of ICE driving to get 1 mile of charge.
I've not yet been able to run the car through the batteries on electric-only (from full charge to zero charge), but I'll experiment with that soon.
I'm generally charging overnight in my garage from about 10-20% full (haven't been running it to zero because I like to come home through my neighborhood in quiet E-Power mode, so I keep a couple miles left conservatively when on the highway).

I will say this after only several days of driving this Sport Turismo: with the looks, the handling, the technology, the features, and the comfort, I believe this is the best 4-door car anywhere on the planet. The Turbo E-H might be better, but the Pan4 is plenty awesome for me (and the Turbo is way over-priced, thus my reason for it not being the best car on the planet). Power is not a problem for me with this car.
My car has 1400 miles now. I repeatedly run on full electric until it is finally depleted and the ICE comes on. I agree with AJ that temperature and previous driving style impact the mileage indicated and realized. I have seen as much as 29 miles indicated after a charge but also have seen 25 miles indicated (yesterday we had temperature in excess of 90 degrees and this morning I saw 25 miles indicated). My driving experience is the mileage actually realized is usually 3-4 miles less than what was indicated initially. I believe this is because I almost always drive on the freeway at 70-75 mph for about 50% of my electric driving. My overall indicated mileage to date is just under 30 mpg, but that includes the first 400 miles during which I drove extensively in Sport + at speeds between 80-90 mph when bringing the car home from LA to the Bay Area. For the last 1000 miles the overall mpg has been steadily increasing as my local driving is gradually replacing the original 400 miles.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:40 AM
louver
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Check Engine light

Here's a brief update on the Saga of the Check Engine Light.
We first picked up our 4 E-Hybrid nine weeks ago. Since then it has spent a total of four weeks at the service department, two weeks during each of two visits.
The diagnostic log indicated a fault in the hybrid cooling system. As far as I know, this was the only fault but it occurred at least three times.
During the first repair, the temperature sensors were replaced. The problem recurred. During the second visit the control unit for the hybrid cooling system was replaced along with a "stuck" valve. We picked up the car again yesterday and have since driven more than 125 miles, using all the driving modes. This driving included a full charge/discharge cycle on the hybrid battery (charging in sport+ mode and discharging in e-mode). So far so good. We charged overnight in the garage (240v / 24a) and the e-range estimate this morning was 29 miles. No sign of the dreaded Check Engine light.
I am cautiously optimistic that all is well, and after a gloomy month it's a bit like getting a new car all over again. With the exception of that little light, I absolutely love everything about this car.
Again I encourage others with this or similar issues to post reports. On the other hand, no news is good news.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:21 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good news, hopefully the end of the visits to the garage.

I pick up the Diesel Cayenne loaner today Better than the 320D last week but I miss my Hybrid!!
Old 06-02-2018, 10:06 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I checked on my car connect app a few minutes ago and my Panamera had just finished charging, showing 47km. I was just going outside to unplug it, when the lightning proximity (20km) alarm on my iPad made its thunder noise. It made me wonder how well the Panamera and the universal charger are protected against surges caused by nearby lightning strikes. I live in a very lightning prone (summer storms) area and my house at the top of a 400 metre high cliff is the first object a storm sees, to have a go at. In the 15 years I have had the house, it has been struck twice or to be more accurate the satellite dish was struck once and the telephone cable to the house struck once, the latter on the day I bought the house totally empty, so the only damage was the phone I had plugged in, which disintegrated and the remnants went on fire. When the satellite dish was struck, I had a €12,000+ claim on my lightning insurance. Most electrical and all electronic items connected to mains electricity were killed. I now have large surge absorption capacitors in the cellar and fast gas switch earth diverters for all three phases, the incoming phone line and incoming satellite feeds . However this does not protect items outside the house and a couple of years ago, a nearby strike killed the electronic control on swimming pool cleaner sitting outside the house, which was plugged into mains but not actually operating at the time.

I am concerned that if there is a nearby strike, while the car is charging, at best it would kill the universal charger, which I suspect costs close to €2000 and/or could either damage the car's lithium battery or at worst set it on fire, with the charger cable a route into the vehicle to break through the normal Faraday cage that protects cars against lightning.

Wilson

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread