Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 05:14 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

On my biz partners car the dealer simply filed off two little lugs, only about a mm, if you look at where the flap pointy bit goes into the hole on the car to lock, theres two small nibs/lugs they filed his off and hes had no issue since.
My car which is 2 months younger still has them and I have the issue of (occasionally) needing to beat the flap up to get it open., That said I have not had to use the manual hooks in the boot to undo it like I did on the GB loan car I had for 5 weeks.

On his old S- E hybrid, he had an issue where it would not go into e power, and also had a warning saying e power not available. Long story (actually Porsche had his car for 52 days), apparently one cell in the battery had a 0.2v higher output than it should so the electric system was not available. What the hybrid technician said was that Porsch have very very tight tolerances on all the hybrid side, whilst the technology is so new and in his opinion a lot of the faults are not actual faults but down to this policy.
They replaced the battery on his !

Last edited by K777; 02-27-2018 at 05:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-27-2018, 10:38 AM
MadPat06
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, AJ,

despite the little niggles I still love my Panamera; - it's a head turner, for one reason or another, but as you you can imagine, keeping it white is a full time job, as is keeping those alloys off the kerbs.

I think the biggest issue I have had is the lack of knowledge of the product at my local dealer and the lack of a sense of urgency in resolving the problems. There is more information and awareness on this forum for instance.

Despite the problems I got the opportunity to put it round the Top Gear track with my very own "Stig" and for a car of this size it performed brilliantly - all be it with six months of tyre rubber left on the track :-(
Old 02-27-2018, 03:11 PM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I noticed the brake issue a lot more on the demo car than mine. I was told that firmware updates either had come through or were coming through for the algorithm that apportions braking between hybrid recovery and hydraulic. I presume these are OTA and we would never know except if we notice a change in the braking. I suspect it may be a bit more noticeable for those who right foot brake, as you have had to shift your foot from the accelerator to the brake. I left foot brake and although I have noticed the braking effort variation, it has not posed a problem for me.

Got my Panamera back this afternoon. It felt wonderful after the very ordinary Mercedes 220D rental car and a lot more stable on today's slippery roads. I have Pirelli P Zero 21" x 275 and 21" x 315 tyres on mine, which I would guess are considerable better than Michelin Sport Pilots, which I have always found awful in cold and icy weather. Sadly Bridgestone don't make tyres yet in these sizes as I found on my 997 Turbo, the Bridgestone RE050 tyres were surprisingly good in snow and ice, not as good obviously as a full winter tyre but still given the infrequency of snow in the south of England, a good all year round compromise.

My dealer changed the oil, which smelt fuel contaminated but could find no faults on the tailgate. Part of the problem may be when I am carrying the keys in a man bag with my mobile. If the mobile gets between the car and the key, it can block the signal.

Wilson
Old 02-28-2018, 08:13 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's sad that you guys have this issue. Porsche Mayfair and Porsche Reading are both excellent. I can put you in touch with my guy there and you should seriously consider after service through Reading (they are the first recipient of all Porsche I think. That said, I do think there is more collective knowledge on here through experience!

Am getting tempted to suggest a Panamera cruise at some point...not normally my thing but would be great to see all the different colours etc.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:27 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

What do folks think of the voice recognition system? A typical experience for me would be for me to say: "Play D.A.B. tuner BBC Radio 4" to which a typical response from the system would be: "which road do you require in Dumfries?" Maybe it works better if I shout at it in an "allo allo" cod German accent: "I shall say zis only vonce" . I thought it must be me but the salesperson at my dealer tried it and got equally nonsensical responses. Maybe another thing waiting for a firmware update.

Wilson
Old 02-28-2018, 10:21 AM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Settings??

With the e-Hybrids coming here any day now (mark my words), I'm wondering what those of you that have had the cars for quite a while have experienced with tire wear? With the added weight I'm sure the tires will wear somewhat faster. My experience with all my cars is the manufacturer recommended tire pressures are usually set for a "smoother, softer" ride. I have almost always found that using the manufacturer settings results in the sidewalls wearing out first with lots of tread in the center of the tire, so for the past few years I have been setting my pressures at least 5 lbs higher than the recommended. For those of you that have enough miles to tell, how are the tires wearing? Sidewall wear higher than center tread?
Old 02-28-2018, 12:41 PM
K777
Racer

Originally Posted by ajriches01
It's sad that you guys have this issue. Porsche Mayfair and Porsche Reading are both excellent. I can put you in touch with my guy there and you should seriously consider after service through Reading (they are the first recipient of all Porsche I think. That said, I do think there is more collective knowledge on here through experience!

Am getting tempted to suggest a Panamera cruise at some point...not normally my thing but would be great to see all the different colours etc.
Hatfield are good. I think Hatfield, Mayfair and Reading are all owned by PGB.
JCT600 Leeds are appalling on service, although they have had some recent staff changes so will see going forward.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:48 PM
K777
Racer

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
With the e-Hybrids coming here any day now (mark my words), I'm wondering what those of you that have had the cars for quite a while have experienced with tire wear? With the added weight I'm sure the tires will wear somewhat faster. My experience with all my cars is the manufacturer recommended tire pressures are usually set for a "smoother, softer" ride. I have almost always found that using the manufacturer settings results in the sidewalls wearing out first with lots of tread in the center of the tire, so for the past few years I have been setting my pressures at least 5 lbs higher than the recommended. For those of you that have enough miles to tell, how are the tires wearing? Sidewall wear higher than center tread?
On my old S-EH had the usual inner tyre wear, but on average the wear wasn't to bad, I don't have figures though.
On the new 4EH I was surprised with 1200 miles the video report on my car said the tyres are down to 5mm (was in trying to sort the Nav fault). I will be keeping a close eye on it.
Just on 2200 miles now, seems very similar tread, so it had even crossed my mind that my tyres were not 100% new when the car was delivered - my car was delivered 5 weeks late due to being "selected along with other cars from the line for in depth quality control", made me wonder if someone had it on some test track too in Leipzig. Prob my paranoia though.

Last edited by K777; 02-28-2018 at 12:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-28-2018, 08:32 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Originally Posted by K777
On my old S-EH had the usual inner tyre wear, but on average the wear wasn't to bad, I don't have figures though.
On the new 4EH I was surprised with 1200 miles the video report on my car said the tyres are down to 5mm (was in trying to sort the Nav fault). I will be keeping a close eye on it.
Just on 2200 miles now, seems very similar tread, so it had even crossed my mind that my tyres were not 100% new when the car was delivered - my car was delivered 5 weeks late due to being "selected along with other cars from the line for in depth quality control", made me wonder if someone had it on some test track too in Leipzig. Prob my paranoia though.
Surprised you are having that much wear that quickly. How do the tires look? Is the wear even or is the inside or outside of the tread wearing faster? What cold tire pressures are you running front and rear?
Old 03-01-2018, 04:54 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done circa 6,000 miles and tyres look like new (although have not measured).

Voice control - you need to know what to say. "Radio 4" will turn it to Radio 4. Not sure if DAB. I think it works well. What works really well is the navigation destination using google/online search. That gets it right every time.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:33 AM
K777
Racer

Surprised you are having that much wear that quickly. How do the tires look? Is the wear even or is the inside or outside of the tread wearing faster? What cold tire pressures are you running front and rear?
Looks even.
When my car was due to be finished, it suddenly got delayed by 5 weeks, I was sent the schedule for the car, which showed after "vehicle completion" it sat at Leipzig for another week until it "exited Leipzig compound" for Emden.
Through PGB, I was told it had been randomly pulled out for an intensive quality check along with some other random cars. Its manufacturer date went back 2 weeks, plus this extra week sat in Leipzig compound. It ended up being 5 weeks late.
The week sat around after it was completed made me wonder what are they doing with it, and now the tyres are low on tread, I am beginning to think was this quality control also some driving to test it.
Obviously I have done some enthusiastic driving, but actually not a lot.
I have checked the pressures to the book and its correct. I am not in the car again today so will double check tonight.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:22 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Originally Posted by K777
Looks even.
When my car was due to be finished, it suddenly got delayed by 5 weeks, I was sent the schedule for the car, which showed after "vehicle completion" it sat at Leipzig for another week until it "exited Leipzig compound" for Emden.
Through PGB, I was told it had been randomly pulled out for an intensive quality check along with some other random cars. Its manufacturer date went back 2 weeks, plus this extra week sat in Leipzig compound. It ended up being 5 weeks late.
The week sat around after it was completed made me wonder what are they doing with it, and now the tyres are low on tread, I am beginning to think was this quality control also some driving to test it.
Obviously I have done some enthusiastic driving, but actually not a lot.
I have checked the pressures to the book and its correct. I am not in the car again today so will double check tonight.
Interesting that you think they were driving it during the "intensive quality check". My car achieved "vehicle completion" at the end of June and it also sat around in Germany for about a month before it got onto a boat in August and then arrived in San Diego mid September. I would have been thrilled with just a five week delay!! Still surprising about your tread wear especially given AJ's comments on his tires. Do you have the Pirelli P Zeros?
Old 03-02-2018, 04:31 AM
K777
Racer

Interesting that you think they were driving it during the "intensive quality check". My car achieved "vehicle completion" at the end of June and it also sat around in Germany for about a month before it got onto a boat in August and then arrived in San Diego mid September. I would have been thrilled with just a five week delay!! Still surprising about your tread wear especially given AJ's comments on his tires. Do you have the Pirelli P Zeros?
Its probably my paranoia, In Europe they don't sit around as far as I know, they are completed then get a train to the port very quickly and on a ferry 2 days later. .
I saw the original schedule and it was complete then at Emden Port 2 days later. At the UK port a few days and then the dealers in a day.

Originally they say it was in the "custom detailing sage" where the delay had come, suggesting an issue with delivery of an option, then I queried it via the PGB MD it came back that it was pulled for quality inspection, so I just felt it was a bit smoke and mirrors. I was even suspect about my front passenger door, the window seemed to open and close oddly, but seems ok now.
There had been a bit of a saga with our order for two of the same car. My business partner got his 2 months before me, and we had already cancelled with JCT Leeds when 15 minutes after the deposit was paid they put expected delivery back 3 months so we were already irritated and sensitive to deliveries.
That said Hatfield were very good, and a different league to JCT Leeds.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:32 AM
KW411
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By reading all your emails, it seems that most of you aware of every single step or stage of where the car is before deliver to you. The last thing that I heard from my sales was almost a month ago that my order supposes to go into production last week. But that’s all I know. Is there a website/portal that you can find these information or simply get the progresses from your sales?
Old 03-02-2018, 10:41 AM
K777
Racer

Originally Posted by KW411
By reading all your emails, it seems that most of you aware of every single step or stage of where the car is before deliver to you. The last thing that I heard from my sales was almost a month ago that my order supposes to go into production last week. But that’s all I know. Is there a website/portal that you can find these information or simply get the progresses from your sales?
No , unlike other manufacturers.

Ask you rep if he can email you the production schedule/plan.

Mine did, albeit I think he got a telling off because it gave me something to refer to when complaining.

Even the above was wrong after exit Emden as it was quickly on a boat and I collected it on 2nd December.

Last edited by K777; 03-02-2018 at 10:51 AM. Reason: typo, lexdyslic

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread