Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 11:40 AM
Galavanta
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was city driving in 10 degree Celsius and the car is 3 days old.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:41 AM
Galavanta
Intermediate

Old 04-02-2018, 12:50 PM
KW411
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Galavanta,

I wonder how long did it take your car from Halifax to Vancouver? Mine just arrived Halifax today. The system says it will take 3 weeks to arrive Vancouver (1 week in Halifax and 2 weeks in transit).

Thanks
Old 04-02-2018, 04:18 PM
Galavanta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KW411
Galavanta,

I wonder how long did it take your car from Halifax to Vancouver? Mine just arrived Halifax today. The system says it will take 3 weeks to arrive Vancouver (1 week in Halifax and 2 weeks in transit).

Thanks
From the day I placed my order to the day I picked it up was 300 days exactly. The time on the train from Halifax to Vancouver is difficult to say because from the time I was told that EPA released the car to its ATA in Vancouver was about 6 weeks but I don't know when it actually left Halifax. I have been told that the "normal" time on the train from Halifax to Vancouver is about 3 weeks, sorry I couldn't give you an accurate time frame, I know how difficult it is to have patience but I can tell you it's worth the wait, this Panamera e-hybrid is nothing short of incredible, I am blown away.....
Old 04-02-2018, 04:43 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by K777
I got the to much oil warning over to weekend, 2100 miles on the clock.
I found this on a Macan forum thread, evidently written by a Porsche dealership mechanic/tech:

It doesn't generate oil, it generates heat, which generates condensation buildup in the engine oil and thus an increase in the oil level reading. Ever wonder why you're supposed to change your engine oil once a year regardless of mileage? A big reason that is necessary is due to the condensation buildup, which will effect the oils lubrication properties as well as cause corrosion. Even if you only drove a car 1,000 miles over the course of a year, the oil still needs changed. I can't tell you how many clients come in and argue about the need to change the oil once a year on a $100k+ Porsche. Or anything else maintenance wise that's driven by time for that matter. Had a Cayenne client in the other day that tows heavy loads through the mountains regularly. He didn't want to perform an oil service or a brake flush despite the car being 3 years old and almost 2 years since the oil was changed for the first time. Short drives will exacerbate this condition. Longer drives will help to burn off any condensation buildup. This is actually a big issue with the Hybrids since the combustion engine is always turning off/on when going in and out of pure electric mode. Results in more condensation buildup and more frequent oil level overfull warnings.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:05 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

It looks like they have put the larger 14-kWh battery pack of the 2018 Panamera E-Hybrid into the new Cayenne, presumably out in E-Hybrid form sometime next year:

Can't wait til they get 20 kWh or higher capacity in both vehicles, and in the Macan... I believe that all the Porsche vehicles benefit by having this technology tested and produced in multiple models.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:58 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
I found this on a Macan forum thread, evidently written by a Porsche dealership mechanic/tech:

It doesn't generate oil, it generates heat, which generates condensation buildup in the engine oil and thus an increase in the oil level reading. Ever wonder why you're supposed to change your engine oil once a year regardless of mileage? A big reason that is necessary is due to the condensation buildup, which will effect the oils lubrication properties as well as cause corrosion. Even if you only drove a car 1,000 miles over the course of a year, the oil still needs changed. I can't tell you how many clients come in and argue about the need to change the oil once a year on a $100k+ Porsche. Or anything else maintenance wise that's driven by time for that matter. Had a Cayenne client in the other day that tows heavy loads through the mountains regularly. He didn't want to perform an oil service or a brake flush despite the car being 3 years old and almost 2 years since the oil was changed for the first time. Short drives will exacerbate this condition. Longer drives will help to burn off any condensation buildup. This is actually a big issue with the Hybrids since the combustion engine is always turning off/on when going in and out of pure electric mode. Results in more condensation buildup and more frequent oil level overfull warnings.
The car was 2 months old.

I have had a hybrid previously too, and as you would expect I get the car serviced when it tells me to at Porsche dealership. Or once added oil in my 2015 S E-H because it told me too.
Previous posts in the thread had commented on this warning appearing on virtually new cars like me, hence my post. Its not a post to complain on the amount of oil used BTW.

I agree stop starts would likely generate more condensation, but would suggest that's only when the engine is still cold. Which from my experience once the engine kicks in, it stays on for a while and the oil and water temps have all risen before it switches back to hybrid, including any down hill coasting.

I guess only Porsche know the parameters for the engine off mode, so lets hope they have considered the condensation / wear etc etc. You would hope so.

I think probably there should be a panamera hybrid section, rather than ramming one thread (more or less) with everything Panamera Hybrid, lets face it who would read back through thousands of posts.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:19 AM
ssiminou
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 70 Posts

I've been told by my dealer, the same one offering 7% off, that the Panamera 4 e-Hybrid Executive is a "pull-allocation" car, so although my chances of being granted one are high, there's a small chance it won't go through. I then told him that no matter what, even if it requires them to do some trading with other dealers, I want my allocation at that price. He then said not to worry because his dealer is usually granted allocations (but they're kinda small, definitely no Porsche Beverly Hills or Champion in Florida). I might be overreacting, but when you see how Porsche treats "lesser" customers for the GT2 RS and GT3's, it makes you doubt the whole allocation process. Also, I had a few questions about the Panamera/hybrids in general:

1) Is there any regenerative braking feel like Teslas? Or is it similar to a regular Panamera?

2) I want to charge it initially at my home with a regular 110 outlet that's next to my sprinklers, how much time would it take for it to fully charge? Does Porsche give you all the things you need for charging or is it literally one cable from the outlet to the car? Would I have to purchase any accessories? (I really don't want to spend the 700 bucks for the upgraded Kw charger)

3) Has anyone done/planning to do the Los Angeles Experience Center Delivery and could say a few things about it or the process? Do you sign lease/finance papers before you go? Do they slap on the CA temporary registration or is that done if the cars go to their respective dealers first for inspection>

4) On the configurator, it shows Dolomite Silver but it just turns the car black or white. Does anyone have an idea of what Dolomite Silver looks like? Or any idea of when it will be shown on the car in the configurator? My guess is that it's a mix between the bluefish Rhodium and the very silver GT Silver Metallic.

5) If the hybrid's battery runs out of charge, does that affect the performance of the car? Like if I have no range but I slam my foot on the throttle, will I still achieve 0-6 in 4.4 seconds as Porsche says? Is total output still 462 hp, or does the battery's condition of charge affect all of that?

I would love for someone to take a quick look at my spec and see if there's anything really important worth getting or something not necessary. I'm trying to keep my lease payments around $1500 +tax, which seems to make sense after $7k cap-reduction from the gov and the 7% discount. (3 yrs, 10k miles, $5k total drive off). My original specs were all $132k, but that included leather, the large console, and PRSE. If I want those low payments, unfortunately some sacrifices are in order! (If I'm leasing, I'll most likely go with this color. Otherwise for financing I'll choose white for the resale value): http://www.porsche-code.com/PJKNX6F6

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and hopefully answer some of my questions. I'm looking forward to writing more about my hybrid executive journey on this thread!
Old 04-04-2018, 01:21 AM
ssiminou
Banned

Oh one more thing. Can you make the car start in Hybrid-Auto mode, or does it always start in E-Power?
Old 04-04-2018, 04:47 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Will try my best.

1. Never driven a Tesla but I have driven other electrics - it is not a car to be driven with the accelerator only (like an i3), unless the car is in charge mode you will not notice any drag when you lift off the accelerator. Charge mode you notice a slight drag. Only issue with brakes is when coming from say 10 mph to a slow stop. Mine doesn't always get the transition between regen and brakes 100% right but she is currently having a software update so who knows.

2. I imagine a while...if it's circa 6 hours on a 240v 3.6kw (normal) plug in the UK then it's an overnight charge. You get everything you need to charge at home but no away from home cable (if this matters). The home charging box looks cool but is essentially just a nice looking container for what comes with the car.

3 and 4 N/A

5. If the car is truly out of juice it feels every kg of its weight but this is really rare (only noticed it once or twice), normally it will maintain a minimum charge. Easy fix is put it in sport mode for 5 mins and that will normally add a couple of miles of range and give you the punch. Charge mode will also add the range but deliberately doesn't give you the electric boost.

6. Always starts in E-Power if it has any range. Turning the dial once to the right isn't the greatest of burdens though

Config - each to their own of course but:

1. Wheel is wood - never like the feel, especially if hands sticky 2. Spec the Bose stereo, if anything for the resale [Correction- see this is included]. 3. It's an exec without the entertainment pack - maybe get the entertainment prep? Again, for resale. 4. Power steering plus - good for car parks. 5. Ambient lighting - looks cool! 6. Massage seats (I think relatively cheap for what you get and really help you feel comfortable on long trips). 7. 7.2KW charger - makes it more useful when charging away from home.

But all of the above costs money so go with what you like!
Old 04-04-2018, 07:10 AM
louver
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

ssiminou, I have a Tesla Model S and we have recently also gotten a Panamera 4 E-Hybrid. I agree with the response from ajriches01 about regen. The Tesla regen works off the accelerator pedal, so that as you lift your foot off the pedal you get increasing amounts of regen, and it maxes out when your foot is completely off the accelerator. The brake pedal on the Tesla controls only the friction brakes. So it is possible to do much of your driving without the brake pedal (except that regen fades away below about 5mph). The Panamera is different. You do get regen, but it is controlled by the brake pedal. As you begin to depress the pedal you get regen, and you can see how much by a series of little green lights on the dash below the tach. As you press harder, you see more lights. When regen begins to max out then the friction brakes supplement the braking effect as you press harder. The Panamera works more like my old 2010 Lexus hybrid did in this regard.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:27 AM
sriklin
Intermediate

I agree with AJRiches as well. I have driven both Tesla and Panamera, and the regen experience is very different. The Panamera is not as extreme as the Tesla, as you have gas engine when you run out of charge. Porsche provided everything you need for charging, including plugs and cables for both 110v and 220v. I have the 3.6 kv charger in my car. The 110v charging takes 11.5 hours. The 220v takes 3.8 hours. Both of these are from empty. I recommend conditioning the battery by running it down to zero and recharging the first few times you use it. It seems to increase the mileage by a mile or two.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:04 PM
ssiminou
Banned

Thank you all so much for your input. I’m going to have to revisit the configurator!
Old 04-04-2018, 06:36 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ssiminou
I would love for someone to take a quick look at my spec and see if there's anything really important worth getting or something not necessary. I'm trying to keep my lease payments around $1500 +tax, which seems to make sense after $7k cap-reduction from the gov and the 7% discount. (3 yrs, 10k miles, $5k total drive off). My original specs were all $132k, but that included leather, the large console, and PRSE. If I want those low payments, unfortunately some sacrifices are in order! (If I'm leasing, I'll most likely go with this color. Otherwise for financing I'll choose white for the resale value): http://www.porsche-code.com/PJKNX6F6

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and hopefully answer some of my questions. I'm looking forward to writing more about my hybrid executive journey on this thread!
Everybody has their own preferences, and that's what makes putting together your own Porsche rather fun (though I wish that the Panamera had lots of things that are standard in cars 1/2 or 1/3 the price -- such as adaptive cruise control, blind-spot warning, etc.). I notice that you put nearly $9k into the external appearance of the car (including the 21-inch wheels/tires). I personally elected to go light on changing the standard external appearance and instead putting my limited funds into options that affect the actual driving experience. The one thing I decided was essential for my daily (nighttime) driving is the night-vision infrared camera display (and I think all cars should have this standard, quite frankly), as I have tested it on several Panameras and think that it could literally be a life saver in many situations. The other thing I really didn't want to do without, and recommend if you do any significant amount of driving (especially long-distance), is adaptive cruise control; I have used this on other cars for long-distance driving, and it's really hard to do without once you've experienced it. So I took the Assistance Package, which has both the night-vision camera and the adaptive cruise control, and I elected to put my money there for the driving experience/performance rather than putting a lot into modifying the exterior (which I think is already pretty good looking).
Old 04-04-2018, 07:46 PM
NightHawk1520
AutoX

Hey everyone,

I'm new to posting, but I've been keeping up with the thread since I ordered my hybrid this past October. I finally took delivery on Monday and wanted to post a few pictures. I saw that some of you guys were getting around 27 miles for the electric range. I finally got to fully charge the battery and I'm seeing 30 on mine, which is awesome since it was sitting at port in Houston since the beginning of Feb.

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread