Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 10:22 AM
rklann
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just checked the CARB web site this morning and it shows that the 2018 Cayenne S E-Hybrid passed and was certified yesterday (2/20). Hopefully, the Panamera 4 E-Hybrid will be out soon!
Old 02-21-2018, 12:02 PM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Burgess Hill Porsche advised not to drive the car with the oil overfill warning, just in case it is either a fuel or water leak into the sump. They arranged a pick up by Porsche Assistance earlier this afternoon and I will have a replacement hire car delivered tomorrow. They will now be able to sort out all the other items and it will leave a bit of time before I go down to France to check all is well and permanently fixed.

I know what they mean about the risks of fuel in the sump. My mother who was a standard of driver, that would have made Mr. Bean look competent, had a habit of pulling the choke out for starting and forgetting to push it back. Not only did this soot the plugs up but it also washed considerably quantities of petrol/gasoline into the sump. On her Renault 10, the sooted plugs required a lot of cranking to start. In spite of being told not to many times, my mother would persist in pumping the throttle while doing so, dumping yet more fuel into the engine. In the end something had to give and there was a large explosion, which blew the sump apart and the dipstick did a vertical take off, right through the rear engine cover. Luckily the car did not go on fire.

Wilson
Old 02-21-2018, 08:04 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by rklann
I just checked the CARB web site this morning and it shows that the 2018 Cayenne S E-Hybrid passed and was certified yesterday (2/20). Hopefully, the Panamera 4 E-Hybrid will be out soon!

I just received an email from my contact at CARB. He wrote "Porsche needs to fix a couple of things so that I can print a decent EO. After they get it fixed I’ll submit for approval." Not sure why some folks are hearing the car hasn't been EPA certified since it is my understanding it doesn't go to CARB until after the EPA has certified the car. My contact at PCNA told me in an email late last week that the car was EPA certified. I will contact him tomorrow by phone to find out what is causing the confusion.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:12 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wilson/Thor, your comments spurred me to email Reading - will get it booked in. Helpful to know about the replacement parts so I can push.

I am excited for the California residents!
Old 02-23-2018, 12:32 PM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Guys,
New to Rennlist but not Porsche Hybrids.

Got my new one from Hatfield 1st week December and looks like they still trying to sell my over priced old one.

Just adding my experience of the 4 E hybrid so far and answering Wilson Laidlaw post ;

1. My GPS failed and showed me driving down LBA runway in January. Car went in on January 24, They ID'd the issue as the connecting lead, but also broke my trim between the cluster and the screen.
Booked in Feb 12 for new lead fitting, but received a call advising part was now code red and not available. Chased this week and told none in stock GLOBALLY !
2. Tailgate forces itself shut when in last 30cm of closing, even if I am pulling up on it with both hands. Very dangerous. Does stop though when higher up.
3. Range changes according to air temperature and driving style, just like a petrol only engine would. Was same with my old S E-hybrid.
4. As above
5. Ackerman effect, summer tyres in winter will be worse, winter tyres in winter are less prone, but as soon as tyres are down to maybe 5 or 6mm they will jump on fill lock. Common on any car with wide front tyres.
6/7. Mines not as bad as my biz partners was. His now modified - not new parts, basically look inside the recess there's two little "nibs" they filed his off and works fine - If you get stuck there's a manual release inside the boot behind the side walls both sides ( a red loop/hook pull it). - a bit embarrassing when you've been hammering the filler caps and then open the boot to flip it open.
8 Not had any issues other than number 1 above.

Loving the car, better than the S E hybrid, plus had the Sports Exhaust option. (cant have silence all the time

My partner is French and in my old one we drove all way to Mullhouse, then down to St Etienne and then back home to Yorkshire in 2016, a great trip, albeit in 4 days.
Plus drove my old one to Paris 3 days after delivery, both times had plenty of looks, they not so popular in the land of the Frog.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:21 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Having just read that tens of thousands of folk have been fined in Manchester for going into a particular bus lane. Apparently this lane has confusing signage, partially obscured by foliage but the council said that a lot of people were following non-updated sat nav instructions. That got me to wondering how the Panamera updates its mapping information. I know my 997 Turbo had a DVD, for which you could buy an updated DVD at vast expense from a Porsche dealer (about £600 for the updated mapping and firmware update DVD) or for around £130 for the mapping and FW update, all on one DVD, from other sources. Does the Panamera receive its updates over the air? How do you know if it has updated? My Panamera will be in France for about 5+ months over the summer. Will it receive its OTA updates in France or not? In fact I am not sure if the online facilities and apps, which in the UK get their signal from Vodafone, will work in France.

Any thoughts folks?

Last edited by Wilson Laidlaw; 02-24-2018 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-24-2018, 07:35 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

My replacement hire car from Porsche Assistance is a Munich Airport Taxi, otherwise known as a Mercedes E220D (marginally better than the Hyundai 4x4 Truck which was their first offer). Reminds me why I don't like Mercedes cars very much. It's a miserable device with a large and I suspect quite heavy body, powered by a small, coarse antique tractor engine. It has run-flat tyres and a pretty poor, pattering ride. its main competitor, the 520 BMW is a much nicer car, having hired them occasionally. The only thing I prefer on the Mercedes to my Panamera, is the gear selector. The steering column arm on the Mercedes, which is down for forwards and up for backwards seems a more logical layout than the Panamera's push forward for Reverse, pull back for Forwards and a button on the back edge for Park. Which designer thought that was a good idea? Having had Tiptronic 911's for many years, after three months, I am only just beginning to get out of the habit of putting the Panamera into Reverse when I want Park.

Wilson
Old 02-25-2018, 05:04 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

I found out about map updates. They are indeed Over The Air. This is free for the first two years after purchase if you have Connect Plus. After the first two years, it costs £139 per annum in the UK and that includes the other online services. Nobody could tell me if this would work out of the UK or not but I suspect not. I will make sure I do a forced map update before I leave for France.

Wilson
Old 02-26-2018, 08:00 AM
K777
Racer

I got the to much oil warning over to weekend, 2100 miles on the clock.

whats weird with my nav is, even though I am waiting a new antenna lead and the car shows no satellites connected, since I got it back from service it now works ?
Old 02-26-2018, 11:03 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Even though mine gave the oil overfull warning and a yellow engine warning light when Porsche Assist picked it up last week, apparently there is nothing now showing in the fault log. The same with the complete failure of the rear tailgate to open with any button. Sounds like a self wiping fault log, which is not very helpful when you are submitting it to have them cured. Not too happy!
Old 02-26-2018, 06:45 PM
911topanamera
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Anybody hear anything about EPA? Kinda odd all the states that aren't CARB haven't gotten notified yet. My dealer is still in the dark
Old 02-26-2018, 07:23 PM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 911topanamera
Anybody hear anything about EPA? Kinda odd all the states that aren't CARB haven't gotten notified yet. My dealer is still in the dark
The last I heard from my dealer was February 21. Here is what he had to say: "We just received notice of CARB certification this morning (Feb. 21) on the Cayenne eHybrid, but still no official news on the Panamera eHybrid for EPA or CARB."

So, not sure that anything was released for the Panamera yet. All contradictory to what others are hearing. Hopefully very soon......
Old 02-26-2018, 09:30 PM
MadPat06
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Braking issue

I have had my hybrid for 7 months now and have experienced the strange sensation of the brakes “releasing” on many occasions. At slower speeds, gradually applying pressure, there is often a momentary, but very noticeable, feeling of the brakes releasing - I have even had passengers notice it. When I spoke to Porsche they said they had received similar feedback from other owners but it was perfectly normal and a design characteristic of the hybrid Panamera. To me, it would appear Porsche have designed a flaw in the braking system and it is not something you expect or readily get used to.
Lon another note, has anyone experienced heavy handling and a stiffness to the power steering? My car compared to one at the dealers has noticeably heavier steering but a visual inspection and the onboard computer show no faults.

I notice that some posters have referred to not being able to select EPower even though the battery is fully charged. I have encountered the same problem, even when the car has been driven for hundreds of miles and therefore with a fully warmed up engine.
The most annoying thing to date though is the charging port cover could not be opened when first delivered and it took 10 weeks for Porsche to supply a replacement solenoid. Now the port won’t stay closed and all I get told is that Porsche are aware of the problem but do not have a fix for it yet.

It’s my first Porsche and the car looks stunning, generally performs well, but the teething problems and delays on rectification are taking the shine off it a bit.

Last edited by MadPat06; 02-27-2018 at 06:38 AM.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:29 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice ride Pat - cannot imagine there are too many white Panameras in the UK.

The brake issue is rare but I know what you mean. Only seems to happen coming up to a roundabout/stop and needing to stop suddenly - the brakes need a pressure of X and then oh - more than X! Hadn't thought about it as has happened may 3/4 times in the same 7 months.

No issue with steering.

No issue with eMode, although this morning it was -3, had all heaters on and was going up a steep hill...engine came on. Probably too much of a drain on the system, which makes sense. I was though having to physically attack the charging port at the station in order to get it open this morning...again, guessing the cold not helping.

Sounds mad, but in some ways, a few minor irritations are a good thing. When the car goes in, I will definitely be guilting them into lending something interesting for a day or two!
Old 02-27-2018, 05:04 AM
K777
Racer

This is mine, just not had chance to do my own photos
Facebook Post

Spec :
21" Exclusive design wheels jet black metallic
Sports exhaust in black
Black mirrors
Surround view
PDLS+