Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 07:43 AM
Gordons19
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Morning guys.....

Hope you don't mind me joining in, but after years of AMG's, I felt the time was right to trade in my beloved E63S Estate for something a little more climate friendly and this week saw me return home minus my car but plus this one......

4E Hybrid in Amethyst plus a few bits and bobs....My very first Porsche after 50+ years of driving.

I cannot fault the dealer as they went above and beyond with their welcome and service when I was there. Of course I was buying a car, but I got the impression from reviews that is the norm and doesn't stop once you've bought it.....

2019 4E in Amethyst with clear film applied to the bonnet and various other areas that be subject to stone chips. Sports pack.

Four black tail pipes (without sport exhaust option)

Black and crayon interior with additional leather.

Two of the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in......My wife wants to sit in the back now...:-)

On the plus side, it's certainly smooth and comfortable. A little less powerful than the E63S, but I suspect I've now left my boy racer days behind and current traffic conditions and cameras etc mean there are few places to enjoy 600hp anyway.

I won't miss the 18-20mpg.....and it seems strange driving in silence versus the V8 plus sports exhaust. The smaller boot means golf clubs and trolley are a bit more of a fiddle to get in and with the back seats folded down, the drivers seat won't go back far enough for my 6'3" body. Played around a bit this morning and now have just the nearside rear seat folded down, so that's solved it for me, but more than one set of clubs plus mates may be an issue.

Still dealing with a few Porsche idiosyncrasies. Thanks to this forum, I finally found out how to save settings.....:-)

Even managed to turn on the ignition without the radio coming on. Next challenge will be to mute the sat nav easily. Most of the time I use the sat nav for arrival times etc but only need the commentary for the last few miles if it's somewhere I haven't been before. On the Merc, you only had to press the mute button when the sat nav was talking and it stayed off. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong as I'm sure I pressed the mute on the way home the other night, but it kept coming back on if additional guidance was needed. Any ideas?

Last edited by Gordons19; 10-16-2020 at 07:54 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gordons19:
MKC91 (10-17-2020), pinballplanet (10-17-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 10:35 AM
Pan1981

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default My new Panamera 4S e-hybrid

Hi guys, I am new to the forum, despite of reading this thread for few years now, since I was an owner of a 2017 Panamera 4 e-hybrid. My car got hit in a car accident this summer, so I ordered a new Panamera 4S e-hybrid, which I was lucky to take delivery of this Wednesday.

Here are some pics that I took at my dealer, when taking delivery of the car. I plan to post new photos in the next few days.

My first impressions: the car is significantly more powerful and the battery has at least 30% more range. It seems that the upgrade is worth of the extra money compared to my 2017 4 e-hybrid.

The following 6 users liked this post by Pan1981:
bjterp00 (10-17-2020), Gordons19 (10-17-2020), MKC91 (10-17-2020), Rgwirtz (10-17-2020), TXSchnee (10-19-2020), Vintage12 (10-17-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-17-2020, 10:05 PM
pinballplanet
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmiran
Hi. I’m here hoping to get some clarification with regard to how the 4 ehybrid engine works in a specific situation. Today I stopped at the pharmacy to pick up a prescription for my elderly mother who remained in the car. As it was very hot, 105, I wanted to leave the air conditioning running for her. I put the car in park, engaged the parking brake, and left key in the car. When I came out, less than 10 minutes later, she was sitting in the car with the door open. Apparently the car shut off and the a/c stopped. Air was coming out but it was not cold. The “key” switch was turned fully to the right. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
I agree that opening your door is likely to have triggered a shut off timer - however, you can use the car connect app to pre-cool the car and the ignition can be in the off position
Old 10-26-2020, 08:52 AM
Gilmo
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi All,

I've just purchased a 971 ST V6 7.2kw and the previous owner kindly gave me the wall charging dock. Am I correct in thinking that I can just use this with the mobile charger? then get another cable for the car when out and about?
Or should I get a home charger system installed.

On another note, like Wilson, my car's warranty is just about up, I think I will extend it for two years just in case. I didn't drive it for about 10 days and the rear suspension was sitting down a little.
This made me nervous as I have an old 2006 Audi A6 Allroad and that does this a lot and my mechanic has given up trying to solve it, he tells me to keep driving until it gives up!

All opinions appreciated!

Thanks

Old 10-27-2020, 06:14 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I use the Porsche 7.2 kWH universal mobile charger in the wall mount. This does everything a generic home charger system will do and more. Because the Porsche charger talks to the car and controls charging rate accurately, it would be kinder to your battery than a generic Type 2 home car charger, which as far as I know, just charge at flat rate, other than thermal control, until the car battery reports to the charger that it is full. This is a similar system to what Apple has now introduced on its iPhones, where the final 6% of capacity to full is now charged at a lower rate. Apparently this maintains the battery health percentage noticeably longer. The Porsche Universal Charger also has an event memory which records things like a poor earth, power cuts during charge or low voltage events, which the dealer can read in the event of a problem, as they did on mine last week, after the error codes on the charger. We had a fluctuating power supply last night, with my bedside LED light flickering. I plugged my vintage Avometer 8 Mk.6 into the supply and the needle was dancing up and down, varying from just over 200 volts up to 252 volts. Eventually the power cut completely twice in rapid succession but when it came back on, it had settled down with a steady voltage of 253 volts. This is right at the upper limit for UK power supply which is statutorily 230V -6%/+10% i.e 216 volts up to 253 volts. The high voltage we have, gives incandescent bulbs a short life. We have our own mini-sub-station supplying just three houses in our rural location. This reduces the 11 kV overhead cable supply to domestic 250 volts. The electric supply company is coming to check it this morning. I will suggest if possible, that they set the mini sub-station to a lower tap on the transformer, to reduce our voltage to around 230 to 240 volts.

Wilson

Last edited by Wilson Laidlaw; 10-27-2020 at 07:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Gilmo (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 06:39 AM
Gordons19
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Morning guys...

Now been a Porsche owner for two weeks and loving it after years of AMG's. Seems strange pulling away in silence after the V8 sounds, but no regrets.

Still trying to find a way of muting the volume temporarily on sat nav route directions. I tend to use the sat nav all the time for live traffic info, but having selected a route, I probably know 90% of it and generally only want the direction information for the last 10% of the journey, particularly if I've not been there before. On the Merc, as soon as the first instruction came on you simply pressed mute and it stayed off until you needed to switch to back on via one simple instruction to the sat nav screen. I've tried muting on the Porsche, but it only turns it off for that instruction and then comes back on. I've had a suggestion of turning down the volume during an announcement, but it appears the radio has to be on as well for the plus and minus buttons on the steering wheel to take effect. That's OK, but once you have turned it down, there doesn't appear a simple way to turn it back on and you have to go back through the on screen menus to find navigation sounds and that can be dangerous when driving.

Anyone know a simple way of switching the direction sound on and off without having to resort to numerous selections via the on screen menus?

Even looked at the diamond button to see if that could be programmed to do, but no joy.

Grateful for any guidance you can offer. It may well be lack of understanding on my part, but I think I've tried everything.....

Old 11-13-2020, 03:23 PM
regancc
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey guys, just got my 2019 e-hybrid yesterday and I am perplexed. I planned to post pics and intro but I need help as I cannot figure this out:

Why does my AC not blow any air??! I hear the fan on blasting away but no air comes out of the vents. Yes, they are all open. I tried every &^%$# climate mode there is and sometimes, when I turn AC off for a second then back on, the air comes out full blast and nice and cold then shuts off but I still hear the blower going. I have the car running in Sport + mode so the engine runs but nothing I try seems to work. Please point out my stupidity and assure me that I don't have a massive issue on my first day (car is new)...

Thanks...preparing myself to be embarrassed now. ;-)
Old 11-13-2020, 06:21 PM
Rgwirtz
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 63 Posts

Do you have the vents set up to only blow to the windshield? Hit the climate button and see if the screen shows air blowing only in the top vents. Also I know you tried this but toggle up the fan using the silver lever on the center console.
Old 11-13-2020, 07:15 PM
MKC91
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Rgwirtz
Do you have the vents set up to only blow to the windshield? Hit the climate button and see if the screen shows air blowing only in the top vents. Also I know you tried this but toggle up the fan using the silver lever on the center console.
@ regancc, welcome to the forum! Don't forget to save your preferred setup to your key fob once you have your climate settings figured out.

Old 11-14-2020, 12:09 AM
regancc
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rgwirtz
Well, I checked (great suggestion, thanks!) but this wasn't the issue. Still haven't figured it out but somehow, after shutting the car off a few times, and not touching anything else, it miraculously started working again. I played with the climate control settings afterwards and it still works so I have no idea what happened, I am just elated it is working.
Old 11-14-2020, 12:38 AM
regancc
Advanced

Originally Posted by MKC91
@ regancc, welcome to the forum! Don't forget to save your preferred setup to your key fob once you have your climate settings figured out.
Thank you, I really like this forum and love the car! I saved all my settings multiple times - so far so good on those. Oh, if I set the climate on 72 and "auto" and then save the settings with the "Set" function on the door, will it always stay on 72 and Auto or doesn't it work that way? So much to learn!!

At least I got the radar detector installed and the garage door Homelink button working as well as the HOA entry gate...now on to saving radio stations...lol. I'm exhausted already! :-D

MKC91 (11-16-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 05:34 PM
Rgwirtz
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 63 Posts

Have fun with the car. I’ve really enjoyed having the hybrid. So many different personalities, but it’s really a beast when you want it to be!
The following 2 users liked this post by Rgwirtz:
MKC91 (11-16-2020), regancc (11-16-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 11:10 AM
regancc
Advanced

First pics after Expel film and ceramic coating (including wheels and calipers)...still at my film guy's shop - picking it up this evening! I haven't even driven this thing 10 miles since my wife wanted to drive it down to him.

MKC91 (11-19-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 06:49 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordons19

4E Hybrid in Amethyst plus a few bits and bobs....My very first Porsche after 50+ years of driving.

2019 4E in Amethyst with clear film applied to the bonnet and various other areas that be subject to stone chips. Sports pack.
I think this is my favorite color now in getting another Panamera -- amethyst metallic. But your photos look somewhat different from on the online configurator, and I've never seen a car with this color in person (it seems pretty rare). Can you possibly post another photo or two of your car in bright sunlight? Did you notice any change in color (subdued color?) after applying the clear film? Thanks :-)

Last edited by cometguy; 11-23-2020 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:20 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

My brother's Panamera ST Turbo, bought in South Africa, is the amethyst colour. Very pretty and yes it does change colour in different lighting. My original cancelled order for a Panamera ST e-Hybrid, before acquiring the black regular body Panamera, was for amethyst. It was an extra cost option.

Wilson

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread