Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 12:33 PM
Vintage12
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson Laidlaw
Has anyone tracked down what is the loud whining/whirring noise you hear after the car has been heat soaking in bright sunlight for some hours. It takes quite a long time to stop. You can feel the vibration through the steering wheel of whatever it is. Someone has suggested it is a powerful cooling fan for the high voltage inverter. Any thoughts? I got it yesterday as it is currently very hot in the south of France, with completely cloudless blue skies.
Interested in this too. I had assumed it was a hybrid battery driven AC compressor since the car starts in E mode and then tries to cool the car interior. Seems a bit aggressive though to put vibration through the steering wheel - at least it seems normal for these hybrids. Anybody solve the mystery?
Old 08-01-2020, 04:32 PM
louver
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rgwirtz
What type of mileage do you guys get in Sport/Sport+ modes? My car shows only 10mpg - can that be correct? I’ve been mostly driving around town in hybrid mode and getting 35+ consistently, even when gunning it once in a while.
Keep in mind that in Sport+ mode the engine is charging the hybrid battery in addition to propelling the car. It is effectively banking some charge for future use. Therefore your current lower mileage will be compensated with future higher mileage when you eventually expend this charge. Another way to look at it: your mileage at the moment should be calculated by including future miles not yet covered. In any case, you are not really using that much fuel simply in the enjoyment of sport+ mode.
The following users liked this post:
Rgwirtz (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 04:51 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Vintage12
Interested in this too. I had assumed it was a hybrid battery driven AC compressor since the car starts in E mode and then tries to cool the car interior. Seems a bit aggressive though to put vibration through the steering wheel - at least it seems normal for these hybrids. Anybody solve the mystery?
I don't think it is an AC compressor as in E mode, when the car has not been heat soaking, you still get cooled air without the nasty noise. I asked my dealer and they didn't really know, presumably because the cars never get hot enough in the UK to trip what ever it is but they suggested an additional cooling fan for the high voltage inverter to change DC to AC for the brushless traction motor. As I would assume these are MOSFET solid state devices, they would certainly need a fair amount of cooling. It is in the front of the car but deep in the belly of the beast.

Wilson
Old 08-04-2020, 09:00 PM
KW411
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2018 Panamera ST E hybrid frequently has either a "Engine fault" message displayed when starting the car or during driving. It could be the engine fault light comes on or a message saying that "Engine control fault - Driving permitted - Visit workshop". I took the car the dealership and they said it is a known issue with Porsche E hybrid model. They said the brake pedal must be depressed until ready message is present on dash during starting, otherwise the engine fault light may come on.

Do any of you have the same issue?

Last edited by KW411; 08-04-2020 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:26 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

I think the engine fault warning comes on at random intervals, just to make sure you are awake.

Wilson
Old 08-05-2020, 12:36 PM
MKC91
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by KW411
My 2018 Panamera ST E hybrid frequently has either a "Engine fault" message displayed when starting the car or during driving. It could be the engine fault light comes on or a message saying that "Engine control fault - Driving permitted - Visit workshop". I took the car the dealership and they said it is a known issue with Porsche E hybrid model. They said the brake pedal must be depressed until ready message is present on dash during starting, otherwise the engine fault light may come on.

Do any of you have the same issue?
I've had this happen, probably my fault for doing something too quickly or unexpected. If you can reproduce it then the dealer is probably right.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:52 PM
Vintage12
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I've seen the "Electrical Fault" version of this message recently. After checking the 12V battery I noticed it was reading 11.5V in the display, after charging overnight the level was back above 12V and the error message went away. Not sure why this happened, I suspect not using the car for a week and messing around loading a bunch of music files on to the jukebox. Anyway, I now keep a battery tender connected if not using the car for a few days. Will monitor.
MKC91 (08-06-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 10:56 PM
MKC91
Instructor

Angry

Originally Posted by MKC91
Hi JLPeninsula, I've had this happen to me twice without reason, once at the dealer when I left it for service, and once at home after sitting for a few days just before COVID locked things down for us in Ontario Canada. Unfortunately this isn't something that could easily be reproduced.
Okay, let's make this three dead batteries in the past 10 months. This time I had my car in the dealership for my 30,000 km maintenance and when I went to pick it up, they couldn't start it for me. It was at the end of the day and my advisor said that they will charge it in the morning and bring it to me. "Hell no!" - He wasn't aware that this has happened twice before to me. I told him that I won't take the car back until they figure this out. Let's see what happens now... just venting everyone, I can't believe this is happening again.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:47 PM
911-AL
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm just reentering the Panamera e-hybrid search for my wife and this thread has been a huge help! What's the best place the group has found to shop for a privately owned e-hybrid? I'm going to start searching the classifieds section but figured I would start with the audience here.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:12 AM
JLPeninsula
8th Gear

It is a frustrating problem to deal with. The dealer had my car for about 1 week trying to figure it out to no avail. I did speak with the service manager, Gunther, who is pretty well respected. His best advice was that when leaving your vehicle to always lock it because it is the car's signal to shut as many things down as possible. When I think back to when my battery died, it is possible that I didn't lock the door and when parked in the garage it was intermittently trying to pair with my phone or not completely turned off. Gunther straight up told me that it could be very hard to figure out despite checking the logs on the vehicle. Sorry to hear about your troubles.
Old 08-19-2020, 04:15 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Originally Posted by 911-AL
I'm just reentering the Panamera e-hybrid search for my wife and this thread has been a huge help! What's the best place the group has found to shop for a privately owned e-hybrid? I'm going to start searching the classifieds section but figured I would start with the audience here.
In the USA there is an online vehicle sales aggregator website, which will search all other websites for your vehicular requirements. There is a similar one for mainland Europe (sadly it does not include UK, since we decided to leave the club) called mobile.de. I forget the name of the US version but a bit of googling should find it.

Wilson

PS It's called Auto Tempest.

Last edited by Wilson Laidlaw; 08-19-2020 at 06:25 AM.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:46 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Thinking about the dying/low voltage 12V service batteries, it seems to me as this appears to be an inherent weakness, since the car is capable of sending all sorts of signals to the Car Connect App, should it not send a "Service Battery Low" warning, just like my iPad Pro does when the Apple Pencil battery is low? Since my Panamera has not been used for at least two weeks, I probably ought to go and put its service battery on charge, which means taking the car's fitted cover off. When I am at my house in the south of France, my Three Wheeler Morgan is the daily transport.

Wilson
regancc (11-05-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 11:42 AM
MKC91
Instructor

Originally Posted by JLPeninsula
It is a frustrating problem to deal with. The dealer had my car for about 1 week trying to figure it out to no avail. I did speak with the service manager, Gunther, who is pretty well respected. His best advice was that when leaving your vehicle to always lock it because it is the car's signal to shut as many things down as possible. When I think back to when my battery died, it is possible that I didn't lock the door and when parked in the garage it was intermittently trying to pair with my phone or not completely turned off. Gunther straight up told me that it could be very hard to figure out despite checking the logs on the vehicle. Sorry to hear about your troubles.
I understand your point JLPeninsula. However, why can't my dealer figure this out if this is the case and why are they leaving my car unlocked overnight?
Can't wait for their report.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:53 PM
GoBlue!
Pro

Received 261 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-AL

I used CarGurus and vinanalytics extensively. I think I liked CarGuru because if I recall it listed when the vehicle was first listed and pricing history which was helpful since I was looking to buy off a dealer lot. Perhaps Wilson’s site is more helpful as an aggregator. VinAnalytics is one of the most valuable tools out there.
Old 08-19-2020, 03:19 PM
JLPeninsula
8th Gear

Originally Posted by MKC91
I understand your point JLPeninsula. However, why can't my dealer figure this out if this is the case and why are they leaving my car unlocked overnight?
Can't wait for their report.
LOL. I agree with you 100%!

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread