Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 09:39 AM
Vintage12
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Finally, I'm joining the ranks of the E-Hybrid owners. It's taken some time considering the 970 vs 971, GTS to Turbo but eventually settling on the amazing tech of the E-Hybrid. 2018 Volcano Grey, Club Leather in Cohiba, Carbon Interior package, White Tach and Chrono, SportDesign package, Rear Axle Steering, Sports Exhaust & Quad tips, 21" Turbo Design Wheels, 7.2kW onboard, Premium Pack Plus, Seat Ventilation, LED Matrix PDLS+, Burmester Surround System, 18-way Adaptive Seats and more. Phew, some 50% added in options over base. So glad to have CPO through 2024. Excited to pick it up tomorrow followed by a 1700 mile road trip home.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:37 AM
LowOnCash
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
When I bought my 2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid I immediately took it to my Detailer. He washed, clay barred, and polished the car. Then he applied Ceramic Pro to the entire car. Then he put Xpel Ultimate on the entire front of the car from the A pillar forward and also did the side mirrors and door edges and around the trunk area. The Xpel Ultimate has held up great through 12,000 miles, many of which were on freeways at very high speeds. I had one small rock chip that made a "hole" in the Xpel but didn't do anything to the paint underneath. It was just below the Porsche Crest and off a bit to the side on the bumper. Went back to the Detailer and he put a "small" patch of Xpel back onto that location. The Xpel did the job and protected the paint.
Many thanks for the replies guys! - much appreciated.

How does the Xpel differ from other surfaces when a rock hits the surface?

Stay Safe - Mike
Old 07-02-2020, 11:47 AM
LowOnCash
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello All - On many occasions I've noticed my 12 volt battery voltage remains from 12.1 volt to 12.3 volts while driving in either electric or engine modes. After 20-30 minutes, it finally kicks on and brings the battery to 12.5-13.0 volts. Most of the time it goes right to 13+ volts with no problem.

I'm not quite sure why the down converters regulator is not kicking in to hold the battery at minimum 13 volts. Has any one else noticed this problem?

Thanks In Advance - Mike
Old 07-02-2020, 12:13 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by LowOnCash
Many thanks for the replies guys! - much appreciated.

How does the Xpel differ from other surfaces when a rock hits the surface?

Stay Safe - Mike
When I had my car "treated" with it in April, 2018, Xpel "Ultimate" had just been released as a "significant" update to the regular Xpel film. I did the research online and watched all the YouTube videos and concluded Xpel was the best film for my needs. As for how it "differs from the other surfaces when a rock hits the surface" the answer really depends on your speed and the size of the rock. In my case as I indicated my car was hit by a rock at high speed on the front bumper just below and to the side of the Porsche hood crest. The rock put a small hole/tear in the film. I made the mistake of trying to heat it up with a hair dryer hoping it would reseal itself and I got it too hot and it wound up expanding the very small hole to about the size of a dime. My detailer wound up cutting a small rectangle out of the film slightly bigger than the new hole and inserted a "patch" of film into the new "hole" and now the patch is hardly noticeable. The good news is the film did its job and the underlying paint wasn't blemished at all. My car now has 12,000 miles on it and not one scratch anywhere. It is likely other "rocks" have hit the car but thus far no visible scratches or additional holes have occurred. I am very glad I spent the money to have it applied. Over two years and no "yellowing" or discoloration of any kind. If I didn't tell you it was there you wouldn't notice it at all. This is another reason to do the entire front of the car from the A pillars forward and have all the edges "wrapped" so the film remains "invisible" with no demarkation lines. My detailer did not use "pre-cut" computer patterns. Rather he used large sections of the film to cover entire panels (hood, bumper, side front quarters, etc.) with one piece and then wrap the edges so no "lines" show on the car.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:36 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by LowOnCash
Hello All - On many occasions I've noticed my 12 volt battery voltage remains from 12.1 volt to 12.3 volts while driving in either electric or engine modes. After 20-30 minutes, it finally kicks on and brings the battery to 12.5-13.0 volts. Most of the time it goes right to 13+ volts with no problem.

I'm not quite sure why the down converters regulator is not kicking in to hold the battery at minimum 13 volts. Has any one else noticed this problem?

Thanks In Advance - Mike
I think the charging of the 12V service battery is very pro-active and controls the amount of charge from zero to a very high rate with the charge voltage as high as 15.4V. I think the state of charge is very carefully monitored and the correct amount is then applied. Remember that unlike most cars, it is not used to run a high demand starter motor first thing, so early in a journey, it may still be fully charged from the previous journey. It is only as the journey continues and items like HVAC fans, audio, wipers, lights, etc have been using up the capacity of the service battery, that charging would kick in. AGM (Advanced Glass Matt) batteries like to have charge cycles and if it was kept topped up fully all the time, that would eventually impact upon its usable capacity. If I have not used the car for say two weeks or more, I charge the service battery with a CTEK charger in AGM mode. The next time I use the car after charging, the charge voltage will be in the 12.1 to 12.4 range.

Wilson
Old 07-03-2020, 12:35 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Wilson,
I'm curious what you are saying?? I'm hooking up my car to the CTEK charger every time I bring it back into my garage. So my battery is fully charged all the time. I disconnect it when I go out for a drive and then reconnect it upon return. Are you saying this is actually harmful to the battery?
Old 07-03-2020, 08:09 PM
Vintage12
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Vintage12
Finally, I'm joining the ranks of the E-Hybrid owners. It's taken some time considering the 970 vs 971, GTS to Turbo but eventually settling on the amazing tech of the E-Hybrid. 2018 Volcano Grey, Club Leather in Cohiba, Carbon Interior package, White Tach and Chrono, SportDesign package, Rear Axle Steering, Sports Exhaust & Quad tips, 21" Turbo Design Wheels, 7.2kW onboard, Premium Pack Plus, Seat Ventilation, LED Matrix PDLS+, Burmester Surround System, 18-way Adaptive Seats and more. Phew, some 50% added in options over base. So glad to have CPO through 2024. Excited to pick it up tomorrow followed by a 1700 mile road trip home.
Just picked it up. Looking forward to it...

The following users liked this post:
MKC91 (07-04-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 04:17 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
Wilson,
I'm curious what you are saying?? I'm hooking up my car to the CTEK charger every time I bring it back into my garage. So my battery is fully charged all the time. I disconnect it when I go out for a drive and then reconnect it upon return. Are you saying this is actually harmful to the battery?
When the mode switch on my previous CTEK charger started playing up, I spoke to CTEK about this. it is a weak point on these chargers, which I am slightly surprised they have not cured. For the family fleet of classic and competition cars we have lots of these CTEK chargers and we must have had 6 or 7 of them fail over the last 20 years, nearly all from an inoperative mode button. CTEK were very helpful and even though it might just have been out of its 5 year warranty, they replaced it FOC on an ex-gratia basis. I also queried about the difference between regular lead acid batteries and AGM ones and how the charging differed. The very informative and helpful person I spoke to explained that AGM batteries have better life if they are regularly cycled through the top 10 to 20% of their capacity and the final part of the charge on the CTEK, is at a higher voltage of 14.7V. For cars with starter motors, the cycling happens automatically but for those who don't use a traditional starter motor like the Panamera, the built in charging system probably mimics the effect of the starter motor and lets the battery discharge a bit before it tops it off. I am therefore not sure keeping the service battery full with a daily external charge is either necessary or a good idea.

Wilson
Old 07-04-2020, 10:00 AM
doctj
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

@Vintage12 beautiful car. Congrats . Do you mind telling us what the msrp was on it and then also what you got it for. (Trying to figure out where prices and depreciation are)
Old 07-04-2020, 08:04 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 58 Posts

Starting my hunt for a Panamera 4 e-Hybrid Sports Turismo. Is it just
me or are these impossible to find? Am I late to the party, or is the inventory drastically affected by end of 2020 model year or getting close, or COVID causing delays. I know they have been around for a couple years I just don’t see many available. I’d like to configure my own, but hate to see the huge depreciation fall off. So far dealers are quoting me around 4% off on a custom order.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:35 AM
cbenz1
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They are - same 3 still available from March when I bought mine. See one certified in Naples since I bought - that's it!
Old 07-06-2020, 01:34 PM
JLPeninsula
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I've been following the CTEK discussion and couldn't understand why people were trying to keep the service battery charged. Then today, out of nowhere, my car is completely dead after the holiday weekend. I drove it on Friday, then left it in the garage parked until this morning and I couldn't even unlock the car. This boggles my mind because I've never had this problem, and I've left it parked at SFO for a week before and several other weekends at SJC without any problems.

The one thing I can think of is I recently had my car serviced (10K) and at the time they fixed a problem with my universal garage remote. They also did several updates including the brake wear indicator "recall." When I received the car from the factory, I could not program the remote. Apparently there was a wiring issue and Fremont Porsche was able to figure it out through a bulletin. In any case, the garage remote is now programmable and works (apparently it had problems receiving signals during the programming mode).

This morning, I had to use the emergency key to unlock the car, and it was completely dead. Is this experience common and is that why people are getting the CTEK charger?

Thanks!

2019 Panamera e-hybrid, purchased 9/2019, build date around 6/2019
Old 07-06-2020, 03:40 PM
louver
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

JLPeninsula, for what it is worth, I have had nothing like your experience of a suddenly dead battery. Our 2018 4 E-Hybrid has about 11000 miles, and it has on several occasions been parked for periods of several days or once more than two weeks without being driven. I've noticed no battery problem, and I don't have an external charger. So that's a data point of one.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:47 PM
MKC91
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by JLPeninsula
So I've been following the CTEK discussion and couldn't understand why people were trying to keep the service battery charged. Then today, out of nowhere, my car is completely dead after the holiday weekend. I drove it on Friday, then left it in the garage parked until this morning and I couldn't even unlock the car. This boggles my mind because I've never had this problem, and I've left it parked at SFO for a week before and several other weekends at SJC without any problems.

The one thing I can think of is I recently had my car serviced (10K) and at the time they fixed a problem with my universal garage remote. They also did several updates including the brake wear indicator "recall." When I received the car from the factory, I could not program the remote. Apparently there was a wiring issue and Fremont Porsche was able to figure it out through a bulletin. In any case, the garage remote is now programmable and works (apparently it had problems receiving signals during the programming mode).

This morning, I had to use the emergency key to unlock the car, and it was completely dead. Is this experience common and is that why people are getting the CTEK charger?

Thanks!

2019 Panamera e-hybrid, purchased 9/2019, build date around 6/2019
Hi JLPeninsula, I've had this happen to me twice without reason, once at the dealer when I left it for service, and once at home after sitting for a few days just before COVID locked things down for us in Ontario Canada. Unfortunately this isn't something that could easily be reproduced.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:51 PM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 93 Posts

[QUOTE=Vintage12;16748099]Just picked it up. Looking forward to it...

[quOTE]

Wow what an amazing set of cars. Will you be installing the charger inside the other garage?

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread