Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2023, 07:30 PM
kent9272
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed
One of your ribbon cables has folded itself over the slot. If you get a flashlight and peer into the slot, you may be able to see it. You could try, very carefully, poking a wooden stick (like a chopstick) into the slot and see if you can move the cable out of the way. If that doesn't work, you will have to open the PCM again unfortunately and make sure to route the cable differently before closing it.

EDIT: PS - ask me how I know . . .
My PCM is in reboot mode, turns off every 10 secs and turns back on. I already removed the PCM to replace a new HD one of the members here is cloning for me so I may as well take a look at the ribbon since I need to update it with a cd.
Old 08-09-2023, 07:41 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by kent9272
My PCM is in reboot mode, turns off every 10 secs and turns back on. I already removed the PCM to replace a new HD one of the members here is cloning for me so I may as well take a look at the ribbon since I need to update it with a cd.
Have you tried this procedure for the reboot issue?
https://www.porschemonmouth.com/pcm-fix.html
Old 08-09-2023, 07:58 PM
kent9272
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you tried this procedure for the reboot issue?
https://www.porschemonmouth.com/pcm-fix.html
Yup, the problem is it's stuck on the Porsche logo for 10 secs then turns off then on. Pressing any of the buttons doesn't work.
Old 08-09-2023, 08:01 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kent9272
Yup, the problem is it's stuck on the Porsche logo for 10 secs then turns off then on. Pressing any of the buttons doesn't work.
OK. That's a bummer. Hope you get it fixed.
Old 08-12-2023, 09:46 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

OMG - they do a Panamera version of @Santirx 's unit! It doesn't have the *****, which is kind of a drawback for me coz I have the sports steering wheel which has no controls on it. I guess this will mean a 'virtual' volume contrrol slider on the screen, which I generally dislike. Maybe the lack of the ***** will save me a ton of money These units are way more expensive than the Isudar. But how cool do they look! Hmmm....

It's here for anyone who may be interested:

https://tinyurl.com/yc4yux65
An even nicer one here:

https://tinyurl.com/yx22neee

This is the one that @Santirx installed in his Macan, I think.

I believe this unit comes with custom trim panels and am not sure if they do these in RHD form. I have enquired on Alibaba and am waiting on their reply (time difference).
Old 08-12-2023, 09:46 AM
1977GTS
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well the filtered cable has arrived to solve the Isudar reboot issue!!! Fingers crossed.
The following users liked this post:
ZedZed (08-12-2023)
Old 08-12-2023, 06:40 PM
porty981
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1977GTS
Well the filtered cable has arrived to solve the Isudar reboot issue!!! Fingers crossed.
That certainly looks like more stuff to try fit behind the pcm

Will be good to hear how you get on.
Old 08-12-2023, 09:07 PM
bobzz
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I attempted to install the module and detached the display for better room/convenience while following a video. While removing the ribbon cable from display, pin connector came off. I tried to put it back without any luck and ended up having bent/broken pins. any advice on what my options are? replacement circuit board or the entire display panel? TIA.

Old 08-12-2023, 09:56 PM
Santirx
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by bobzz
I attempted to install the module and detached the display for better room/convenience while following a video. While removing the ribbon cable from display, pin connector came off. I tried to put it back without any luck and ended up having bent/broken pins. any advice on what my options are? replacement circuit board or the entire display panel? TIA.

Sorry to hear. The same thing happened to me (the whole connector came out)… some pins bent. I was able to carefully get them straight and you would have to be very careful installing the plastic piece back. It requires a lot of patience and is almost a surgical process…. You can’t force it.

Are you sure some pins are broken, or just bent? If bent, maybe you can work your way out of this, but is gonna require a lot of patience.

If pins are broken, you may need a new PCM. Maybe you can get one second hand. But it will require recoding I think.

Again, sorry to hear.
ZedZed (08-14-2023)
Old 08-12-2023, 10:56 PM
bobzz
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Santirx
Sorry to hear. The same thing happened to me (the whole connector came out)… some pins bent. I was able to carefully get them straight and you would have to be very careful installing the plastic piece back. It requires a lot of patience and is almost a surgical process…. You can’t force it.

Are you sure some pins are broken, or just bent? If bent, maybe you can work your way out of this, but is gonna require a lot of patience.

If pins are broken, you may need a new PCM. Maybe you can get one second hand. But it will require recoding I think.

Again, sorry to hear.
pins are definitely broken so looking for better options as new head unit would be the last option.
Old 08-13-2023, 06:59 AM
Santirx
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

pins are definitely broken so looking for better options as new head unit would be the last option.
I think that there are 2 options you can try.

1. Repair service (they go for about $600) but assuming this will take some time.

2. Buy a used unit. $800-$900 in eBay, and swap the screen portion from the used unit to yours. That should work, although no guarantees.

I didn’t find just the screen part for sale, but maybe a good search you could find the screen only… maybe you already done that.
Old 08-13-2023, 08:07 AM
1977GTS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by porty981
That certainly looks like more stuff to try fit behind the pcm

Will be good to hear how you get on.
I know right. Used the zip tie trick to guide everything in. Nice a cosy! Will drive the car Tuesday so we’ll see (just had drive topped so can’t use it today…. Grrrr)
irnnr (08-14-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 04:26 AM
1977GTS
Intermediate

I know right. Used the zip tie trick to guide everything in. Nice a cosy! Will drive the car Tuesday so we’ll see (just had drive topped so can’t use it today…. Grrrr)
@porty981 well one trip out this morning and not one single CarPlay reset. Not the answer you may have been hoping for, but at least nobody else will have to go through the same pain we suffered. Good luck
Old 08-14-2023, 06:45 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

I think the cost of a repair would be very high, assuming you can find someone to do it, Also, the turnround time might be quite long. Sourcing a used unit is probably an easier route to go, but it will be needed to be coded for your car, and Porsche are notorious for charging $$$ for this. As for a new PCM, I have seen prices like $4-5000 mentioned for these, which IMO is frankly ridiculous.

If this had happened to me, I'd go with one of the 'drop in' aftermarket head units, such as those discussed in this and other threads, They give you almost all of the functionality of the PCM (no navigation) and add the extra benefit of Carplay or Android Auto. Some would say that the more modern units also improve the appearance as well as the functionality. And you get to use a far superior navigation like Maps or Waze or Sygic etc. Might be worth you checking them out if you didn't already. $400 to 500 all-in.

I too removed the display when installing my Isudar board and I almost got into trouble here too. I'd stress for any others that there is no need to remove the display, or to disconnect its ribbon cables at all in order to install the new board, Nor do you have to remove the ribbon cable from the CD player part of the PCM. With some careful positioning of the parts on the bench, the board can be installed without disconnecting those cables - every cable removed is a risk of a problem, as you discovered (and as I narrowly avoided).

Good luck with whichever route you decide to follow. If your PCM is repairable (by you) that would be a terrific solution. Please keep us informed on your progress, as I am sure you will not be the last person to have this issue,

Last edited by ZedZed; 08-14-2023 at 07:02 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ZedZed:
21Pan4 (04-04-2024), bobzz (08-14-2023), clipper (12-19-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 08:20 AM
porty981
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

@porty981 well one trip out this morning and not one single CarPlay reset. Not the answer you may have been hoping for, but at least nobody else will have to go through the same pain we suffered. Good luck
Excellent. Just waiting for my filtered cable to arrive and then I'll give it one more try.

Quick Reply: Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1