Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2020, 02:08 PM
Bry5on
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenith
I will be doing it as well. Joye is not back from CNY break and the Corona Virus issue. They said as soon as they get back the will help me update the software.
Kenith, any luck on this one?
Old 03-08-2020, 04:46 PM
Kenith
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bry5on
Kenith, any luck on this one?
joye emailed me on 2/6 saying they aren't allowed back to work for 14 days due to the corona virus quarantine mandate. I will email them after that date and will update the thread.
The following users liked this post:
Bry5on (03-09-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 06:03 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Got mine working this week on my 16 GT3. Also added a backup camera.
However, my car has a roll cage, and LWB seats. There is 0 access to the rear. Ended up going with a wireless setup (more on this later)

Install was straight forward, went with the Joyeauto kit. I DID come with all the stuff, didn't need any extra risers or anything else. In prep, purchased a few rolls of cloth tape, zip ties, package or risers, and a pin connector kit.
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

Followed the instruction on here and YouTube videos.
Nothing was hard or frustrating, until I started to test. Turns out CarPlay was not active in the unit, would only work wired. Once I went through the menus everything was fine.
Next was audio, it was SO quiet, like full volume was weak. I twerked the EQ to full and it was better, but then you can not switch off CarPlay, it was super loud. After going over all connections, unpairing/repairing my phone, and getting no where. I looked at the instructions (they are super weak). There is a little 1/4in plug that goes into your regular Aux connection. Make sure you put that in!! It makes all the difference in the world.

Total install was around 4hours taking my time, running all the wires was the most frustrating part, as there is little room to work in, and some of the trim is challenging to remove when you are not sure how.

Next was getting power to the backup camera, just took the bumper off, and figured out what wires trigger the backup lights. Tapped into them. All was good. I did however forget to reconnect the license plate lights after checking all my work. I'm really getting good at removing the rear bumper. Had issues with the camera not coming on, everything was setup right in the unit, turns out you NEED to have PIN8 in the ON position!

Now the camera works perfectly in the garage. When I'm out and about it has a ton of noise. I checked all wires, removed the bumper again, and even shielded all wires thinking it was interference.The orientation of the wireless modules makes a difference. It's better but not how it should be. I might pay someone to run the cable to the camera, or try a better wireless. There is a Digital 5ghz one that's $60. Has anyone else done a wireless setup and been happy with it?

Besides the backup camera issue, I'm 100% stiffed with the install, the screen looks perfect, with some tweaking the sound is the same level as all other inputs, and it sounds just as good as with the factory aux.

Noah Fect (03-22-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 06:15 PM
Kenith
Advanced

joye emailed me on 2/6 saying they aren't allowed back to work for 14 days due to the corona virus quarantine mandate. I will email them after that date and will update the thread.
I successfully updated the JoyeAuto unit last night. I can share the update file and the instructions to do it, all you need is a USB flash drive and a few minutes. PM me for details.

The update did fix the "pre-production software" notification, however I am still trying to figure out how to get the sound working with the USB cable attached to my android phone. I will update this when I get a response from Joye.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:47 PM
911TurboRules
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts

Kenith - did you switch the input on the radio to AUX? Connected the aux cable plug in the glove box?
Old 03-19-2020, 07:20 PM
Kenith
Advanced

Originally Posted by 911TurboRules
Kenith - did you switch the input on the radio to AUX? Connected the aux cable plug in the glove box?
When I used this device with an iphone, I set it to BT aux. My android device is a Galaxy Fold, it does not have an headphone jack. I don't see why Joye would not offer the audio to stream wirelessly.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:57 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

When I used this device with an iphone, I set it to BT aux. My android device is a Galaxy Fold, it does not have an headphone jack. I don't see why Joye would not offer the audio to stream wirelessly.
You don't hook it up to the phone. It goes into the AUX impute in the glove box next to the factory USB. It's a game changer in sound quality! You MUST have it plugged into the glow box AUX jack.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:58 PM
911TurboRules
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts

Don't need a headphone jack on your phone. Plug the dummy jack into the Aux input in the glove box. Then on the radio, press Media until Aux is selected. Hope that works for you.

Old 03-21-2020, 03:33 PM
NF4710
Pro

Received 202 Likes on 125 Posts

Does anyone know a shop in Las Vegas that would be competent for installation?

Thanks,
NF
Old 03-26-2020, 01:16 AM
ziptbm
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RYE
Pros:
1. Excellent installation instructions, except for installing the unit behind/below the PCM. That was the most painful part of the install.
2. Kit from Nick comes with everything you need. Standoff mounts, smaller microphone, any other cables for backup camera - Nick does an excellent job customizing the additional hardware and installation instruction.
3. Audio sounds better - at least to my ears.

Cons:
1. Contrast just seems off, and you can only change brightness setting.
2. Sometimes CarPlay would not always run stable. Unplugging the phone and plugging back in would fix the problem. Seems like USB connection is a bit sensitive, depending on how you install the USB/Lightning cable.
3. When plugged into my iPhone 11 Pro Max and the phone was charging, it wouldn't work - that was the main reason for switches to wireless CarPlay. Seems like it was how I installed the USB connection.

Yes, complete uninstall required. Seemed much more straight forward doing this a second time.

I ordered my unit direct from Joyeauto, and I do not have such a connector. Works perfectly without connecting anything to the fuse box.

Was your NM Auto unit the wireless version? Or was it an older version that your'e comparing to the latest Joyeauto?

Trying to decide which one to order and if the premium for NM Auto's support and instructions is worth it.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:44 AM
RYE
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ziptbm
Was your NM Auto unit the wireless version? Or was it an older version that your'e comparing to the latest Joyeauto?

Trying to decide which one to order and if the premium for NM Auto's support and instructions is worth it.
It was the older version.
ziptbm (03-26-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 10:39 AM
ehsizzup
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the NM Auto Wireless Carplay unit in my 2015 4S cab 991.1 last weekend. It was almost easy with the right tools. 4 hours start to finish. Didn't have to do any kind of fancy wiring. The sharp edges of the PCM and other parts cut up my hands all over, but it was worth it. Highly recommended.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:53 AM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 540 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by ehsizzup
I installed the NM Auto Wireless Carplay unit in my 2015 4S cab 991.1 last weekend. It was almost easy with the right tools. 4 hours start to finish. Didn't have to do any kind of fancy wiring. The sharp edges of the PCM and other parts cut up my hands all over, but it was worth it. Highly recommended.
Charge your phone, you're giving me anxiety. Seriously though, great job and welcome to the forums. I know they're in short supply right now, but wear nitrile gloves when working on your car. They really save your hands!
Old 03-27-2020, 11:18 AM
ehsizzup
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi koala in Calgary! You must know my Calgary Porsche guy, Wayne Cooke?

Yes, gloves! I also installed the Rennline Magnetic Phone Mount and modified it with a custom Qi wireless charger. No more plug in required to charge or connect CarPlay.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:36 AM
gravord
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I bought the NM Auto wireless carplay system from Nick, and I highly recommend it. One issue I've had is placement of the microphone. I tried to install it next to the steering wheel per the instructions, but I can't fit seem to fit my hands there. Does anyone have tips on the microphone installation?

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1