Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Received my new PIWIS III

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 11:36 AM
runbuh
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 116 Posts

One other caution - there is no mention of a "PT3G" in device manager on my chinese clone with the VAS 1654 plugged in, particularly in the network adapters. I only see a serial port. So when this link shows the screen shot of Device Manager with a PT3G in the network adapters, I can only conclude that when this site says "4 separated you from laptop", then they mean something like "plug the VAS 6154 into another computer"?
http://blog.vxdas.com/can-porsche-pi...-vas6154-head/

From my computer:

Last edited by runbuh; 03-20-2021 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-20-2021, 01:24 PM
FerdinandAG
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Chinese clone, will never be identified as PT3G
under the link original VAS6154
it differs only in firmware from PT3G -VCI
6154 will work like the original PT3G, but only offline (NO PPN)
to use the original VAS6154. you will need to adjust the head, it just won't work
the customization service is expensive, $ 500 for one laptop (closed software), offline it will work the same as the original head
you can't buy it from the Chinese.
the Chinese, just like the sellers with mhhauto, don't make software, they buy and resell it
I bought the software from the author, the versions of the software are made with high quality, he updates them, there is support, and the prices are good.
now I want to buy v40.0 (from the author it with a hidden bonus)
Old 03-20-2021, 01:40 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 315 Posts

Which author, Belauto from Garageforum?
Old 03-20-2021, 01:53 PM
FerdinandAG
Instructor

Originally Posted by JB911
Which author, Belauto from Garageforum?
I didn’t mean to name, I don’t welcome ads, but it’s true
photo runbuh, this is the updated version 38.200 (wallpaper, 911 turbo line), other sellers sell the old version of the author
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...7086be5947.jpg
Old 03-20-2021, 02:02 PM
giese639
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Charger for PIWIS

Originally Posted by runbuh
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post17052498
John went with this one, I went with the 55amp one because that's what my Cayenne specified on the battery terminal cover under the hood. The Cayenne is the biggest car in the garage, plus I wanted something than ran off my garage plugs.
https://www.batterystuff.com/power-s...pmbc-75lk.html
> What minimum amp charger/power supply do you need to perform diagnostics with a PIWIS? I've seen 75 amps posted on this forum but most residential garages don't have 75 amp circuits, even for the furnace, water heater and other installed equipment (my highest amp garage circuits are 60; lighting circuits/plugs are just 20 amps). Will you then keep popping breakers if you go with a 75 amp power supply? Don't want to pay an electrician to install a new high amp circuit just for PIWIS diagnostics support. Thanks for any advice.
The following users liked this post:
s996 (11-06-2022)
Old 03-20-2021, 03:14 PM
runbuh
Pro

Originally Posted by giese639
> What minimum amp charger/power supply do you need to perform diagnostics with a PIWIS? I've seen 75 amps posted on this forum but most residential garages don't have 75 amp circuits, even for the furnace, water heater and other installed equipment (my highest amp garage circuits are 60; lighting circuits/plugs are just 20 amps). Will you then keep popping breakers if you go with a 75 amp power supply? Don't want to pay an electrician to install a new high amp circuit just for PIWIS diagnostics support. Thanks for any advice.
75amp AC is not the same as 75amp DC.

How I selected my mine: my Cayenne specifies 55amps (DC) on the plastic cover over the red terminal, under the hood. Since my other P-car is a Macan (same basic engine), I bought the 55amp version, and it works fine in my garage. You'll just need to do the math for your garage based on specs from the vendor (DC to AC amps). The vendor might actually list the max draw on AC in their specs. I don't think you need to worry about "too many amps", but you do need to worry about "too few". Be aware that for quick coding sessions, many people either don't worry about external power (great if you just drove you car around for a while to charge up the battery), or the code while the engine is running. Personally, I never code with the engine running. When using a Launch, which is so much faster for doing minor coding, I don't use any external power.

This unit actually has the AC draw right on their web site:
Maximum AC Current @ 108 VAC:
12 A
So - if the above specs are accurate, and if you have a 15A circuit for your garage, and nothing else is using that circuit at the same time when you want to use this on your P-car, then you'll be fine.

Last edited by runbuh; 03-20-2021 at 03:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by runbuh:
maschinetheist (02-20-2022), Schwarz992C4S (03-21-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 03:19 PM
runbuh
Pro

Originally Posted by FerdinandAG
Chinese clone, will never be identified as PT3G
under the link original VAS6154
it differs only in firmware from PT3G -VCI
6154 will work like the original PT3G, but only offline (NO PPN)
to use the original VAS6154. you will need to adjust the head, it just won't work
the customization service is expensive, $ 500 for one laptop (closed software), offline it will work the same as the original head
you can't buy it from the Chinese.
the Chinese, just like the sellers with mhhauto, don't make software, they buy and resell it
I bought the software from the author, the versions of the software are made with high quality, he updates them, there is support, and the prices are good.
now I want to buy v40.0 (from the author it with a hidden bonus)
Thank you. I am not worried about making my VAS1654 work as an actual PT3G. I also don't want it work with the actual VXDIAG system (which requires their license for Porsche use).

I want it to work with a chinese clone (or Belauto) PIWIS image. For that, banditt2 says it will cost me $150. I'll let everyone know how it goes (but it take at least a month for the VAS 6154 to arrive). I'd just like to know if I can do this myself, but there are no instructions around, just confusion.

Last edited by runbuh; 03-20-2021 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:42 PM
giese639
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by runbuh
75amp AC is not the same as 75amp DC.

How I selected my mine: my Cayenne specifies 55amps (DC) on the plastic cover over the red terminal, under the hood. Since my other P-car is a Macan (same basic engine), I bought the 55amp version, and it works fine in my garage. You'll just need to do the math for your garage based on specs from the vendor (DC to AC amps). The vendor might actually list the max draw on AC in their specs. I don't think you need to worry about "too many amps", but you do need to worry about "too few". Be aware that for quick coding sessions, many people either don't worry about external power (great if you just drove you car around for a while to charge up the battery), or the code while the engine is running. Personally, I never code with the engine running. When using a Launch, which is so much faster for doing minor coding, I don't use any external power.

This unit actually has the AC draw right on their web site:
Maximum AC Current @ 108 VAC:
12 A
So - if the above specs are accurate, and if you have a 15A circuit for your garage, and nothing else is using that circuit at the same time when you want to use this on your P-car, then you'll be fine.
Thanks, Runbuh, for the very helpful response. I have a 2010 Panamera Turbo that I purchased several months ago so am still figuring things out. It has a red plastic terminal cover under the hood but no spec's or amperage listed/noted. Regarding this + (positive) terminal though, and this is admittedly a dumb question, when you are performing diagnostics for a period of time and want to connect your back-up power supply, do you connect the + end of the charger to this terminal and the - (negative) cable to any chassis ground point?

Also, do you have a PIWIS in addition to your Launch scanner/diagnostic tool? Which Launch model do you have and does it clear faults and perform comprehensive service resets?

Thanks again
Old 03-20-2021, 07:50 PM
runbuh
Pro

Originally Posted by giese639
Thanks, Runbuh, for the very helpful response. I have a 2010 Panamera Turbo that I purchased several months ago so am still figuring things out. It has a red plastic terminal cover under the hood but no spec's or amperage listed/noted. Regarding this + (positive) terminal though, and this is admittedly a dumb question, when you are performing diagnostics for a period of time and want to connect your back-up power supply, do you connect the + end of the charger to this terminal and the - (negative) cable to any chassis ground point?

Also, do you have a PIWIS in addition to your Launch scanner/diagnostic tool? Which Launch model do you have and does it clear faults and perform comprehensive service resets?

Thanks again
You're very welcome.

Don't get me started on equipment. I have too much (PIWIS on a clone laptop, PIWIS virtual machines, etc.). I have a Launch x431 PROS Mini that I bought in January from Amazon (note that I wrote PROS, not PRO). I have tested it to ensure it does the rear parking brake release, but I have not tested the other functions. It is supposed to be able to clear faults, do service resets, battery registrations, etc. Hit the 958 forum and find the coding thread. I think there is a lot of good Launch information there, and they are an active bunch. There may be other forums here that cover more, that's just one example I've read through in the past.

You should have two posts under the hood. The red one, under the little flip cap, and a black-capped, or just plain metal one, very close by. Check your manual. I connect the external power to those posts - positive first (after I've turned the car on - just the electronics - not starting the engine). I hook up the power only when I'm going to be coding for a fair amount of time (15+ minutes, I would guess). This is supposedly a Panamera, with the connections labeled.

Last edited by runbuh; 03-20-2021 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-21-2021, 01:49 AM
rnlst_log
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 103 Posts

Hi All,

I have vm setup with piwis 39.800 good for head with 1.6 firmware, been using it for many procedures.
PM if you need it.
(Not seller)
Old 03-21-2021, 02:47 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 315 Posts

rnlst_log,
Can't send PM for some reason-
What needs to be done to the VAS6154 head for it to pair up?
Thnx
JB
Old 03-21-2021, 03:53 AM
rnlst_log
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by JB911
rnlst_log,
Can't send PM for some reason-
What needs to be done to the VAS6154 head for it to pair up?
Thnx
JB
If it has firmware 1.6 just set the pc date back to any date prior the license expiration(no need to do any mod on head itself), start up connect and good to go.(My own experience)
Old 03-21-2021, 06:09 AM
FerdinandAG
Instructor

Originally Posted by rnlst_log
Hi All,

I have vm setup with piwis 39.800 good for head with 1.6 firmware, been using it for many procedures.
PM if you need it.
(Not seller)
give a link to 39.8 please to PM
Old 03-21-2021, 09:55 AM
runbuh
Pro

Originally Posted by rnlst_log
If it has firmware 1.6 just set the pc date back to any date prior the license expiration(no need to do any mod on head itself), start up connect and good to go.(My own experience)
What needs to be done to a head that has never modified. If I had a brand new VAS6154 with the ODIS firmware 1.6, what modifications would I need to do to it so that it will work with your image?
Old 03-21-2021, 12:49 PM
giese639
Rennlist Member

Thanks very much for the guidance and photo...very helpful. My set up is the same.

You mentioned you have a Launch scanner. Which model do you have and does it perform fault resolution and all common service reset functions? Do you also have a PIWIS II/III or is the Launch sufficient for what you want to do?

Quick Reply: Received my new PIWIS III