Notices

GT350

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016 | 07:51 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
The coveted 2016 Road and Track Performance Car of the Year - Shelby GT350R - with lap times faster than both the new AMG GTS and the GT4. (Last year it was the 991 GT3). And about a dozen other publication awards which are posted in this thread.
Well,thank God American publications are not biased...
Old 07-11-2016 | 07:53 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stuntman
The AMG GTS is a pretty impressive and badass car.
It is. Unfortunately,it sucks when you call your competition " Best DRIVER'S car " and you give it to an automatic heavy car with turbos...all while Pobst admits " there was something wrong with the alignment on the GT4 test car we've received ". Ok...
Old 07-11-2016 | 07:56 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Well,thank God American publications are not biased...
Well it's better than that snarky British commentary - I don't know how you can stand it.

I was in London all last week - fantastic city, great people don't get me wrong but listening to them whine as they do can be tedious.
Old 07-11-2016 | 08:19 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 526 Likes on 286 Posts
Default Wow!

It seems like the closet doors went wide open...

Well...earlier today I got my VIN and ~August build date for my R in LB and no options.
Old 07-11-2016 | 10:02 PM
zizu
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's other aspect I like about the GT350. We can argue all day long which one is faster on a track, but for the price, you can't have anything better than that. Not really fair to compare it to a GT3 that cost 3X more. Thing is, Porsche lost me when they decided to make it PDK only. They removed most of the fun factor, I don't care it's faster, it's still an automatic. And the GT4? Sorry, but it's not a special car. Like others said, parts bin car for still more money than a GT350.
Truth is, some here will never like it because it's a Ford.
I absolutely love mine. It's been a while since I had so much fun in the street. Since my 964, in fact.
Old 07-11-2016 | 10:50 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by zizu
There's other aspect I like about the GT350. We can argue all day long which one is faster on a track, but for the price, you can't have anything better than that. Not really fair to compare it to a GT3 that cost 3X more. Thing is, Porsche lost me when they decided to make it PDK only. They removed most of the fun factor, I don't care it's faster, it's still an automatic. And the GT4? Sorry, but it's not a special car. Like others said, parts bin car for still more money than a GT350.
Truth is, some here will never like it because it's a Ford.
I absolutely love mine. It's been a while since I had so much fun in the street. Since my 964, in fact.
Same here man - I tested just about everything in the 95k range and under (used) from 911 Turbo PDK's to Ferrari Modena 6speeds to Corvette Stingrays - nothing comes even close to the driving experience of the Shelby GT350. Probably one of the greatest sports coupes made in the last 25 years. Instant legend.
Old 07-11-2016 | 11:04 PM
lumber
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Same here man - I tested just about everything in the 95k range and under (used) from 911 Turbo PDK's to Ferrari Modena 6speeds to Corvette Stingrays - nothing comes even close to the driving experience of the Shelby GT350. Probably one of the greatest sports coupes made in the last 25 years. Instant legend.
It's comments like this that got me all excited to order a gt350 last year...and then I got my car.
Greatest sport coupe made, by ford, in the last 25 years, maybe.
Do you work for Ford Para?
Old 07-11-2016 | 11:09 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
Sound. Do you understand?
That's subjective man. Regualr Mustangs sound like crap to me. And I never liked the sound of flat-crank V8s, so a GT350 doesn't appeal to me in that department. And I have to say they manage to sound much worse than a Ferrari. My Cayman GTS (PSE standard) sounds way better than any Mustang, including GT350s IMO. Much more exotic and refined, even though it only revs to 7,800 rpm. But that's all a matter of taste, so highly subjective.

and Top Gear? Really? That's like watching Mr. Bean do cars - it's comedy.
Ha ha. That's true, especially their staged crap. Their last iteration is the worst by far; both Leblanc and Evans are painful to hear and watch. Chris Harris I'd trust on performance differences, but at least to me, that's not what driving a performance car is all about. And THAT is the problem some folks here have. They don't understand it's not all about performance for some of us; it's about the DRIVING EXPERIENCE. Driving a Mustang couldn't be more mundane. When I sat on a GT350, it just felt cheap. Didn't even ask to drive it (not interested). I don't care if it has a 500 or 1,000HP engine; if it doesn't even feel right to me, I simply don't care how it performs. I traded a 2015 Lexus RC-F and 2015 GTR for a fully-optioned 2016 Cayman GTS, since I wasn't impressed with a cheaper GT4 (plus didn't want a track car). And couldn't be happier, even though it's immensely slower than the GTR (especially at my altitude), but much more fun to drive. Depends what you want.
Old 07-11-2016 | 11:12 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Most of the R versions are 30 to 40k over sticker. Mustang interior quality is still a little lacking and it's quite heavy and not as tosable as a gt3. Not close to perfection by any stretch.
Old 07-11-2016 | 11:24 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

I've meant Top Gear as in the magazine...not the new clowns...
Old 07-11-2016 | 11:43 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by elp_jc
That's subjective man. Regualr Mustangs sound like crap to me. And I never liked the sound of flat-crank V8s, so a GT350 doesn't appeal to me in that department. And I have to say they manage to sound much worse than a Ferrari. My Cayman GTS (PSE standard) sounds way better than any Mustang, including GT350s IMO. Much more exotic and refined, even though it only revs to 7,800 rpm. But that's all a matter of taste, so highly subjective.

Ha ha. That's true, especially their staged crap. Their last iteration is the worst by far; both Leblanc and Evans are painful to hear and watch. Chris Harris I'd trust on performance differences, but at least to me, that's not what driving a performance car is all about. And THAT is the problem some folks here have. They don't understand it's not all about performance for some of us; it's about the DRIVING EXPERIENCE. Driving a Mustang couldn't be more mundane. When I sat on a GT350, it just felt cheap. Didn't even ask to drive it (not interested). I don't care if it has a 500 or 1,000HP engine; if it doesn't even feel right to me, I simply don't care how it performs. I traded a 2015 Lexus RC-F and 2015 GTR for a fully-optioned 2016 Cayman GTS, since I wasn't impressed with a cheaper GT4 (plus didn't want a track car). And couldn't be happier, even though it's immensely slower than the GTR (especially at my altitude), but much more fun to drive. Depends what you want.
You turned down a test drive in a GT350 ? Man. Well congrats on the GT4, good dynamics.
Old 07-12-2016 | 12:15 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 818 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by stuntman
To equal or be within a second is hardly struggling. Any slight difference in driver talent would more than make up the difference. I still hold that your average Joe to Joe trackday guy would be faster in a 350R than a GT3, which is more difficult to get the last couple seconds out of.

I disagree. Given the same driver, a Boss with coilovers, headers, and 305 R888s will not be as fast as a 350R. It has severely less downforce, would still be slightly down on power, does not corner as well as the S550 (due to its wider track width & IRS) and would be burning up the trans & diff without coolers.

I agree the 350Rs performance isn't as appealing with an ADM, but it's still less than half the price of a GT3.
1. Down force is easy to add or subtract. Down force can be a disadvantage depending on track. No?

2. My Boss 302 TA3 makes 526 hp with headers and a tune. What does a GT350 make? Oh, and the Boss is lighter by over 100 lbs. Advantage Boss.

3. Boss camber is adjustable. Not much of a factor up front. Rear IRS on GT 350 is an advantage but on smooth tracks not a real factor.

4. Are u running an endurance race or DE sessions of 15 to 20 minutes? Never seen a stock Boss burn up a trans or diff at a DE. You? Non issue. Boss does have a trans cooler also btw. Again not an issue for DEs. For actual racing yes, but your not racing a stock GT350 are you?

With the mods for the Boss your are easily within a second of the R at many tracks.
Old 07-12-2016 | 01:03 AM
stuntman
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
1. Down force is easy to add or subtract. Down force can be a disadvantage depending on track. No?

2. My Boss 302 TA3 makes 526 hp with headers and a tune. What does a GT350 make? Oh, and the Boss is lighter by over 100 lbs. Advantage Boss.

3. Boss camber is adjustable. Not much of a factor up front. Rear IRS on GT 350 is an advantage but on smooth tracks not a real factor.

4. Are u running an endurance race or DE sessions of 15 to 20 minutes? Never seen a stock Boss burn up a trans or diff at a DE. You? Non issue. Boss does have a trans cooler also btw. Again not an issue for DEs. For actual racing yes, but your not racing a stock GT350 are you?

With the mods for the Boss your are easily within a second of the R at many tracks.
While I hate blanket statements, the advantage of downforce usually outweighs the losses of drag on most racetracks. The Boss 302R didn't win races until the installation of the (Steeda) Wing in the CTSCC series.

How much whp does your modified boss make? The GT350 puts down 475whp SAE.

How much does your boss weigh? The 350R weighs 3,665lbs with a full tank of gas.

The GT350R is capable of -1.5* of front camber -Fords recommended track setting. (Wider tires dont need as much camber). The IRS makes the car much more balanced and has higher cornering speeds than the Boss's solid rear axle, which requires more of a point-and-shoot line because it does not roll mid corner speeds as good as say an M3, but it's advantage is putting power down. Meanwhile the GT350 drives more like an M3 and has even higher cornering speeds - this comparison was all done on the same size/brand tires across all 3 cars.

The Boss does not have a trans cooler, the Laguna Seca had a scoop which is nowhere near as effective as a real cooler. Log your trans temps, you'll likely see high 200s -And unknowingly hurting the longevity of your synchros on even a 20-30min session.

What are your lap times at NJMP?
Old 07-12-2016 | 01:25 AM
zizu
Racer

Originally Posted by Waxer

Dude, you keep talking about a modified car. Who cares? Theres a lot of modified cars that are very capable. That's not the point. You can modify a GT350 too, or a GT3 and bring it close to a cup car. We are talking about car available TODAY, out of the box! Lol
Enjoy the Boss, lovely car, nobody wants to take it away from you and replace it with a GT350. Relax.
Old 07-12-2016 | 01:36 AM
zizu
Racer

You turned down a test drive in a GT350 ? Man. Well congrats on the GT4, good dynamics.
Sounds very close minded. He made a biased opinion before trying it. Again, because of the blue oval. Looks cheap? Oh well. I care more about the engine, gearbox and driving experience than its plastics. I can careless about full leather and deviating stiches or fragrance from the vent. Porsches used to be raw, pure, not luxurious, but now they catered to these people. That's what sell, and what's profitable.
For some people it's all show, and display what you can afford. Ego. Sorry but true.

Quick Reply: GT350