Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulation zizu . great color my favorite
Old 07-07-2016, 12:03 AM
911-AL
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by zizu
I got a GT350 thanks to Al. I called the dealer right after talking to Al and secure the deal over the phone. I flew the next morning to Chicago to pick her up. It's the exact color and specs I wanted and I've been looking for a while. It's a 2017 fresh off the truck. Grabber blue, stripes, electronic pack, buckets. I've been like a kid since picking her up. Excited is an understatement.
I drove her back home to SoCal. What a drive! So glad I did that, yes, I put miles on her but the fun factor is well worth it. I'd do it again.
I love that car. The sound is out of this world. It's heavier than a Porsche but I don't feel it on the streets, we'll see later on the track. My favorite thing about the car is you don't need to go fast to have fun, I'm sure the sound and torque is a big part of it. The brakes are awesome. The seating position and seat of the pants feel is one of the best I've experienced, it fits me perfectly, hold you in place but also very comfortable. Visibility is very good for a sport car too. Fit and finish is not Porsche level but I was definitely pleasently surprised. It's very good. The entertainment system is however better than Porsche, user friendly, easy to navigate (not that you get a car like that for the GPS or stereo but it is a plus on a road trip). Apple car play is nice too.
I love all the nice details on this car. You can look for hours and find little touches that shows the passion of the people who designed it.
Is everything perfect? Of course not, there's little finition details that I questioned, like the door sills with just a sad "Ford" on it, or some plastic and faux trims that could have been better (Like brushed metal or carbon trim). My biggest complain was the steering, But the tires were overinflated, once adjusted, it was perfect with a great feedback. No as good as my Cayman with hydraulic steering but better than any electric steering I experienced before.
Something to note, I do get way more thumbs up from everybody, kids, grand'ma and everything in between than any car I owned before (except maybe my 66 Mustang convertible).
All in all, I couldn't be happier.
Cheers!

Vail, Colorado.

I'm so glad to have paid it forward to such a stand up guy! Looks like you just had the trip of a lifetime in a legend of a car. Enjoy her! I get first right of refusal :bigeye:

Al
Old 07-07-2016, 03:05 AM
zizu
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stuntman
Nice trackpak zizu! Now get that splitter installed,!
Just did today! Along with her first oil change.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:12 AM
zizu
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-AL
I'm so glad to have paid it forward to such a stand up guy! Looks like you just had the trip of a lifetime in a legend of a car. Enjoy her! I get first right of refusal :bigeye:

Al
You betcha Al! I can't thank you enough! What a great experience because of you. I wish I could let you drive her before the drive.
You have the best dealership. Ashley is the cutest 😍, Tim, not so much but what a great guy. A true car enthusiast. Cheers!
Old 07-07-2016, 01:22 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Congrats. At Road America with mine and does very well for a big heavy car. Sound rocks
Old 07-07-2016, 05:07 PM
abcut973
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PiB993
Had another chat on the phone with dealer sales person. 350 order is 10k over now and if they could get an R it's 25k over. He says all the sales staff get calls everyday regarding the R. How 'management' determines who gets an R if they get another R allocation is beyond me.

I am losing interest. It is a big wide heavy car. There are already 2016 350's sitting on lots (often without track pack/transmission cooler) and unclaimed 2017 350 orders as far as I can tell exist with a markup. I am somewhat disillusioned with how the local dealer/sales staff I want to work with have been changing information on me and not keeping in touch.

That's just the way it works. I enjoy seeing everyone's cars on this thread and experiences. I am curious to see what things will look like in six to eight months.
Don't limit yourself to local dealerships. There are MSRP deals out there for the 350 base. R unfortunately will still demand premium probably until the end if the year!
Old 07-07-2016, 05:33 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Would LOVE to see a Camaro SS and Ford Mustang GT/GT350 on track together....
Old 07-07-2016, 05:34 PM
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 86 Posts

don't you mean Z/28?
Old 07-07-2016, 06:34 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

OK, looking for some advice/comments

planning to sell my 740 hp ZR1 for another "track car"

(ackground--I already have a 991 GT3 that does double duty as track/summer DD and 458 that only sees C&C and dinners/parties with the wife)

Looking at a 2017 non-R shelby GT350 or the new C7 Grand Sport with Z07 package.

Test drove a 2016 GT350 with tech pack and a 2016 Z51 Stingray M7.

Did not jump out of the Mustang with that feeling that "I need to have this car" like I did with a 997.2 GT3 and the Ferrari.

Vette was very nice inside (despite the glue smell), very familiar layout (this would be my 4th), lots of tech inside (love that PDR) comfortable and felt more like a small sports car than the 4 seat GT350. adequate hp (not a ZR1 nor a C7Z06 mind you) -- amenable to heads/cam in the future

Dealers are brothers and friends of mine,....asking $5k over for GT350 and who knows about the Grand Sport (I want the Z07, 3LT, collectors edition with Watkins Glen Grey --of course!!)

any advice?
Looking for a cheaper track day alternative to the GT3 (which is bulletproof as you all know---42 minute double session at Mosport--201* max water temp!!!)
Old 07-07-2016, 06:43 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon

(ackground--I already have a 991 GT3 that does double duty as track/summer DD and 458 that only sees C&C and dinners/parties with the wife)

Looking at a 2017 non-R shelby GT350 or the new C7 Grand Sport with Z07 package.

Did not jump out of the Mustang with that feeling that "I need to have this car" like I did with a 997.2 GT3 and the Ferrari.

Vette was very nice inside (despite the glue smell), very familiar layout (this would be my 4th), lots of tech inside (love that PDR) comfortable and felt more like a small sports car than the 4 seat GT350. adequate hp (not a ZR1 nor a C7Z06 mind you) -- amenable to heads/cam in the future

Dealers are brothers and friends of mine,....asking $5k over for GT350 and who knows about the Grand Sport (I want the Z07, 3LT, collectors edition with Watkins Glen Grey --of course!!)

any advice?
Looking for a cheaper track day alternative to the GT3 (which is bulletproof as you all know---42 minute double session at Mosport--201* max water temp!!!)
Isn't the ACR an obvious choice? Seems like it would fit well with your other exceptional cars.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:50 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dewilmoth
Isn't the ACR an obvious choice? Seems like it would fit well with your other exceptional cars.
hahaha...funny you should mention that---corresoponding with Bill Pemberton at Viper Exchange while looking at these other 2 cars---so I guess it is between 3 cars!

Viper ACR, 1 of 1, with extreme package and silver with black ACR stripe and red drivers stripe plus HK stereo (I know, I know, it is a track car, but if I lost 10 pounds that would offset the stereo weight!) will run me around $140K, so considerably more than either vette or mustang...and my goal was to get a "cheap" track car
Old 07-07-2016, 06:52 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts

hahaha...funny you should mention that---corresoponding with Bill Pemberton at Viper Exchange while looking at these other 2 cars---so I guess it is between 3 cars!

Viper ACR, 1 of 1, with extreme package and silver with black ACR stripe and red drivers stripe plus HK stereo (I know, I know, it is a track car, but if I lost 10 pounds that would offset the stereo weight!) will run me around $140K, so considerably more than either vette or mustang...and my goal was to get a "cheap" track car
I think you'd be a lot happier in the long run with that choice, but I'm obviously very biased.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:21 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dewilmoth
I think you'd be a lot happier in the long run with that choice, but I'm obviously very biased.
maybe I will start another thread, rather than hijack this one?
Old 07-07-2016, 08:19 PM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Shelby v. 997.2 GT3 RS

There are few cars ever that make you feel like your *** can't leave the seat. The 997.2 RS is one of them. It's that good. I have not driven the GT350 or the GT350 R. I have an R coming. I hope I'm not disappointed because I make a big thing about how American Manufacturing is even in a conversation with "GT" Porsches.' That being said I'm not expecting a 997.2 RS. Every time I'd get out of that car I'd look back and think "I can't believe it's that good."

any advice?
Old 07-07-2016, 08:25 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Suitcase
There are few cars ever that make you feel like your *** can't leave the seat. The 997.2 RS is one of them. It's that good. I have not driven the GT350 or the GT350 R. I have an R coming. I hope I'm not disappointed because I make a big thing about how American Manufacturing is even in a conversation with "GT" Porsches.' That being said I'm not expecting a 997.2 RS. Every time I'd get out of that car I'd look back and think "I can't believe it's that good."
yes, I drove the GT3 to the Chevy dealership today and home...still can't believe how good this car is...maybe I don't need another car after all...

Quick Reply: GT350