GT350

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 11:14 AM
mmm951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by A911SUV
Any current 991 GT3 or RS (or even GT4) owner that also now have the new GT350?

I'd like to hear some feedback of how similar and/or different they are....
Yes. I own all three of them. I will post my thoughts up when I get a chance to drive them all in the same conditions and drivers at Road Atlanta this month.

That said...I got rid of my GT4 and the GT350 got the spot at my house! Much more fun to drive!!
Old 02-13-2016, 11:58 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by est8esq
You're right and apologies, coupled w/ clarification is needed.

I'm the last person that should have come across so one dimensional and didn't mean it to come out as it did. I'm sorry to the group.

"IF" a person were only able to get ONE choice (i.e., garage space?) and the only parameters were the BEST car of the two, irrespective of money I don't see the 350 in the stable.

In retrospect, i got a bit "hot" by the video unfairly depicting my all time favorite car as slow, coupled w/ a dear friend of mine who I know is lighting fast and the video as being simply self serving without the hard data to support it. Ironically, I've been known to throw in a vid (can we say GT3 vs Z06) myself :thumbs:

... and yes, I do believe Leno is a dreamer. It's why he's so successful.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.
Stock for stock, yes I agree. But stock for stock there is a tremendous difference in price between the 997 generation cars and the Boss 302. Bang for the buck the Boss as someone above noted holds its own. It even holds its own today. Stock for stock yes the GT3 991 is the better car than the GT350 but again look at the price difference. The GT350 will hold its own.

Take the savings on the Boss 302 and GT350 and add in some dedicated track improvements and at a fraction price you have real track weapons. Even better, I don't have to worry that a shunt is going to cost me $25,000.00 for repairs that in the Boss or GT350 would be half the price. I don't have to worry about 40 hour rebuilds at $30K. The Ford engines run forever without rebuilds. My track insurance is also half the price.

My Boss 302 Trans Am R spec was a $85K build. I was getting point byes from 991s and 991 GT3s on a regular basis in the HOD advanced run group. Believe it or not a standard Boss 302 is not that far behind driven well.

The driver is still 80% of the equation.
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2016, 12:09 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mmm951
Yes. I own all three of them. I will post my thoughts up when I get a chance to drive them all in the same conditions and drivers at Road Atlanta this month. That said...I got rid of my GT4 and the GT350 got the spot at my house! Much more fun to drive!!
Looking forward to your feedback and a little bit surprised that you choose the gt350 over gt4.
You guys are getting me more and more excited about my incoming gt350.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:19 PM
DerStig
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont understand the hype about flat plane crank. If someone blind folded me and rev the gt350 to 6000 rpm and another muscle car or a truck to the same, I wouldnt be able to say this V8 sounds different it must have a flat plane crank. It sounds like every other american muscle V8 burble to me and I heard two of them in real life.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:46 PM
rmauro
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Getting my 16 GT350 next week- bought in Florida at 5k over less dealer fees
of $699.
White with blue stripes- find it interesting only a 6 speed when so many cars today have at least a 7 speed. Have not had a Ford in years.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:01 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
I dont understand the hype about flat plane crank. If someone blind folded me and rev the gt350 to 6000 rpm and another muscle car or a truck to the same, I wouldnt be able to say this V8 sounds different it must have a flat plane crank. It sounds like every other american muscle V8 burble to me and I heard two of them in real life.
I disagree^
Old 02-13-2016, 07:10 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Everyone has met that guy that says something and immediately you know you will never be able to talk cars with them because they just don't get it. Der Stig is that guy haha.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:11 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by rmauro
Getting my 16 GT350 next week- bought in Florida at 5k over less dealer fees
of $699.
White with blue stripes- find it interesting only a 6 speed when so many cars today have at least a 7 speed. Have not had a Ford in years.
Congrats Mauro! Glad to see a few members were able to pull allocations.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:40 PM
mmm951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Looking forward to your feedback and a little bit surprised that you choose the gt350 over gt4.
You guys are getting me more and more excited about my incoming gt350.
The fact that I own a GT3 probably had a lot to do with my impressions of the GT4. To me, it is a wannabe.

The GT350 is just different in sound and dynamics but in a good way. The brakes are phenomenal with modulation and feel, unlike the big brembos on the Z06/Z07. When it revs in the higher range it just pulls like a freight train and reminds me of the GT3, both screaming in their own pitch. Crazy as it sounds, it is "Porsche" like and feels like a purpose built car. Does it have the same quality of materials as the GT4...no.

When I had the GT4, I would always choose the GT3 to drive. With the GT350, I find myself splitting the time more. I don't know, the GT350 makes feel like I am back in high school and makes me crank up my AC/DC. But now I have a car that can eat up a track instead of the stoplights!

Funny thing is...some people on the board turn their nose up to the GT350, it is a looker and a conversation piece everywhere I go. It is just a cool car regardless of price and it attracts the attention of people as much as my GT3.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:12 PM
DerStig
Racer

Originally Posted by Para82
Everyone has met that guy that says something and immediately you know you will never be able to talk cars with them because they just don't get it. Der Stig is that guy haha.
Thats not a fair comment. I have owned an E90 M3 and so far no V8 I have seen came close to how that car sounded. That car also revs to 8400 rpm but does not have that raspyness to it, the burble is very different.

But thats not why I said what I said. The flat plane crank argument is nothing but a marketing gimmick. By throwing FPC term out there, they are trying to imply that "exotic like" engine tone because Ferrari is known with their FPC V8s. My point was Ford still sounds like an american V8. Nothing like an exotic. Does it sound different than Boss 302? Sure it does, but it sounds nothing like cars that made people fan of FPC cars.

Didnt MT have a review of GT350 where they mentioned "it wouldnt be cost effective" unless Ford made some compromises which is why this FPC does not sound like some of the other more famous ones?
Old 02-13-2016, 08:16 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,060 Likes on 546 Posts

I'm impressed with it. My problem is both dealers local to me wanted $20k over MSRP.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:18 PM
mmm951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thats not a fair comment. I have owned an E90 M3 and so far no V8 I have seen came close to how that car sounded. That car also revs to 8400 rpm but does not have that raspyness to it, the burble is very different.

But thats not why I said what I said. The flat plane crank argument is nothing but a marketing gimmick. By throwing FPC term out there, they are trying to imply that "exotic like" engine tone because Ferrari is known with their FPC V8s. My point was Ford still sounds like an american V8. Nothing like an exotic. Does it sound different than Boss 302? Sure it does, but it sounds nothing like cars that made people fan of FPC cars.

Didnt MT have a review of GT350 where they mentioned "it wouldnt be cost effective" unless Ford made some compromises which is why this FPC does not sound like some of the other more famous ones?
Obviously, your taste is quite different. The E90 M3 sounds like a wimp compared to the exhaust of the GT350, among many reasons why I never purchased one.

The flat plane crank design is not a gimmick...you need to do your homework!! They do not want it to sound like a Ferrari even though they could have. The compromise they are talking about is not having enough room to include a second air intake which is found in the Porsche, Ferrari, and McLaren Fpc's. This is why they have the higher , more exotic pitch.

Go watch some videos of the engineers that actually designed the car and you will learn to appreciate it more. If you are relying on journalists to form your opinion of how special this car is, then you will miss out. Ford made a great car...if you cannot appreciate it then so be it.

All that said...the car sounds Bad ***!!!
Old 02-13-2016, 09:28 PM
Para82
Race Car

I'm not going to sell you a car - but what I can tell you is this (and i'm not a Ford guy or a Porsche guy - i'm a car guy). I can tell you this - there is NOTHING in the world that sounds like the GT350 Flat Plane Crank - it's a unique blend of American raw muscle and exotic purity - there is no car out there that can replicate it. A bespoke hand built 5.2L 526hp engine that is just outrageous. As MotorTrend stated - "when the world ends and the apocalypse has come - they will speak of the sound for generations to come." It's mind blowing.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:32 PM
DerStig
Racer

Strong comments from GT3 owners which I respect dearly. I will go read/watch videos more on this car. If so many of you are saying this, maybe there is good reason for it.

What about the engine note of GT3? Are you also saying the ford sounds better? I am in love with almost F1 like engine note of GT3. Its one thing to say ford has one of the best sounding V8s, but its another if you are saying it sounds better than Porsche.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:35 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

If I could find a GT350 at MSRP, I'd write a check tomorrow! White, blue stripe, track pack - sold!

I've never paid over sticker for anything in my life and am not going to start now!!

Quick Reply: GT350