Notices

GT350

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 10:57 PM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

I built/ordered a 2016 Track pack model back in June 2015... but then in July I found a 2015 with exact same specs that was allocated to a dealer in DE via lottery since it's a rare 2015. So I placed a deposit on it and took delivery on Nov. 12, 2015 when it arrived from aflat Rock.... exactly what I wanted. So I gave up my 2016 order... got my deposit back too. Dealer sold it in a matter of hours.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:09 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

GT350 and R are all hyped up in the public mind thanks to the press and the lemmings are following each other to the stealerships and happily handing over thousands over MSRP for a car that 3 years from now will be yesterdays news. In fact the performance delta is not significantly beyond a Boss 302 and that's at the edge of the respective envelopes stock. The main delta are the tires.

I remember when the Boss 302s were all hyped back in 2011 too.

The hysteria will die down.

With all the "hype" over the new GT350 and the ADMs the better play is to buy a nice (non LS) used Boss 302, (many nice ones can be purchased in the mid 30's now as a lot of "I have to have a GT350 guys are dumping their perfectly good Boss 302's..) Do some minor mods including lighter wheels, 305 square Hoosiers, headers, Koni yellows and a safety cage with proper harness and seats and go out and smoke the GT350's.

Hell, if I want a total 100% track weapon with proper safety equipment I can buy a brand new left over Boss 302S (factory race car) for $75K.

Stock Boss 302's are very capable track cars stock and it doesn't take much to make them total track weapons.

If you wanna go faster? The best improvement you can make and best investment is in yourself by going to a proper school like Bertil Roos or Skip Barber and in safety equipment.

While the GT350R has the SAME drive train as the standard GT350 the main difference is in the tuned Multimatic suspension to the CF wheels and the 315 rears.

Before I would pay $100K for an R I'm buying an ACR Extreme. Not even close.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:05 AM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
GT350 and R are all hyped up in the public mind thanks to the press and the lemmings are following each other to the stealerships and happily handing over thousands over MSRP for a car that 3 years from now will be yesterdays news. In fact the performance delta is not significantly beyond a Boss 302 and that's at the edge of the respective envelopes stock. The main delta are the tires.

With all the "hype" over the new GT350 and the ADMs the better play is to buy a nice (non LS) used Boss 302, (many nice ones can be purchased in the mid 30's now as a lot of "I have to have a GT350 guys are dumping their perfectly good Boss 302's..) Do some minor mods including lighter wheels, 305 square Hoosiers, headers, Koni yellows and a safety cage with proper harness and seats and go out and smoke the GT350's.

Hell, if I want a total 100% track weapon with proper safety equipment I can buy a brand new left over Boss 302S (factory race car) for $75K.

Stock Boss 302's are very capable track cars stock and it doesn't take much to make them total track weapons.

If you wanna go faster? The best improvement you can make and best investment is in yourself by going to a proper school like Bertil Roos or Skip Barber and in safety equipment.

While the GT350R has the SAME drive train as the standard GT350 the main difference is in the tuned Multimatic suspension to the CF wheels and the 315 rears.

Boss 302 does close to nothing for me. Plenty to chose from. I believe the 350R is in a totally different league. Not like 997 vs 991, for example. I would like an R, but given that I don't really need one, I can wait and see if I can get it for the right price. If not, no big deal. There are choices in the meantime.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:11 AM
Jooyoung99
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^you make valid points.

But for me I don't think Boss 302 is in the same desirability category as the GT350. I think GT350 is the first car that Ford built that I really want to own. I think it's mainly the engine and the sound. Honestly, I haven't cared in a while about how fast a car is at a circuit. There are cars that brings a lot of excitement, like a GT3. And I'm sure many people feel the same way. At least for me, there are certain cars that I don't mind paying above sticker, and GT350 is one of them. Obviously, I want to get it as cheap as possible.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:23 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by PiB993
Has anyone been able to spec there own 350 or 350R that is on order or delivered already?
I did a Shelby GT350 built to spec last July. The dealer was about to put in the order for a Technology Package (as most seem to do) but I was able to change it to the Track Pack.

For all you guys searching - MSRP is still possible but even more difficult now after that media and customers have driven the car. Those 1k-5k ADM's are considered hot deals right now - if you find the exact car you want and they have a 4k ADM as one guy here mentioned - jump on it. You may or may not find a similar deal.

For all you guys on the fence - get the car - it really is that good.
Attached Images  
Old 02-12-2016, 03:32 AM
Para82
Race Car

The Boss 302 Laguna Seca is one of the most entertaining track cars I have ever owned - extremely raw - it's live axle and R compounds were highly tuned and so rewarding once you master it. Believe me when I tell you that car can out corner 991 Carrera PDK's and new Caymans. The problem you will run into with the Boss is the transmission - it's an MT-82 Chinese junk - all of them break. Numerous owners on their 2nd and 3rd build (Ford has been good about rebuilding these under Warranty) but that's about all over now being a 2013 build. With that you could get a Laguna Seca for low 40's and put in a Tremec - that would be a blast - but no it's not in the same league as a Shelby GT350.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:30 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

My point was not to sell you a Boss 302. It was merely a statement of fact and observation from experience behind the wheel and from being friends with owners who own both. We all like what we like subjectively. No problem. You like sweet potato fries and I like regular fries. I also have a top spot on my dealers list for an GT350 or R in the next allocation at MSRP. Waiting.

Yes, the GT350 is a great car and step forward from the Boss 302. I would expect it to be (and disappointed if it wasn't) as being 3-4 years newer with advancements in suspension and braking. I would expect continuing improvements on the GT350 similar to what Ford did with the GT500 year after year. As production ramps up they will become more available. Ford didn't develop the car not to sell and as an lab exercise.

Again, the main delta difference in performance is the tire difference. Put them both in equal tires the delta is substantially reduced track performance wise.

Both the Shelby and the Boss have their own following. I like the looks of the Boss 302 much better and do still love the sound of the rumble of the classic CPC of the Boss 302 with the side dumps just as much as the FPC sound if not more.

The Boss was the high water mark for the S197 chassis and completed on their own assembly line with its own specially developed engine, adjustable suspension, track engine mapping etc.... It was by no means a decal and wheel car. It was the first stock American pony car to run with the likes of the BMW M3, Audi R8, C6 Z06, 997's. Gotten many a point by from guys in all of those in my Boss 302. Back in 2011 the Boss 302 was timed as fast as the Audi R8 at Leguna Seca. You had the same hysteria over the Boss and $10K to $15K mark ups sometimes $20K at the beginning. You had guys dumping their GT500s to get one.

It took Chevy with the Z28 and its 75 more hp, huge CF brakes and 305 Trofeos to out do the Boss and even then not by that much considering the price differential ($75k with ADMs vs. $50K for the Boss 302 at that time).

Again, not trying to sell you a Boss just pointing out the parallels.

A year from now you will be able to buy GT350s at list all day long and R's also especially as used ones show up on the market, production picks up and improvements are incorporated on new MY versions.

BTW there are only 1500 LS Boss 302's for both model years. The Boss 302 also parallels the history and provenance of the original Boss 302 and even involved development input from Parnelli Jones. The new GT350s only commonality with Shelby is in its licensed name. It ends there. I also understand there will likely be 2000 to 2500 R's.

My point was simple.... you want a great track car that can show the GT350 it's tail lights and do it with proper safety equipment like a safety cage and proper racing seats....by a Boss 302 for mid $30's and spend $15,000 $20,000k in mods.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:11 AM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Any current 991 GT3 or RS (or even GT4) owner that also now have the new GT350?

I'd like to hear some feedback of how similar and/or different they are....
Old 02-12-2016, 01:26 PM
Kingfrog3
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by A911SUV
Any current 991 GT3 or RS (or even GT4) owner that also now have the new GT350?

I'd like to hear some feedback of how similar and/or different they are....
I have a GT3 and my friend has a GT350. Very different cars. The 350 feels much heavier. Great Manuel transmission and love the programmable shift lights. The GT3 is much more nibble. Love them both but very different.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:28 PM
Jooyoung99
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^which car sounds better in your opinion?
Old 02-12-2016, 02:58 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

I've driven both gt3 and gt4 quite a bit. Waiting for my gt350 and have only driven a friends gt350 around the block.

The mustang is huge and feels like a tank. I love the engine and the sound of the gt350. The engine, price and the back seat is the reason I'm getting one as a DD.

But I would pick a gt3/gt4 over it every day of the week if money and back seat wasn't an option.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:44 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jooyoung99
^which car sounds better in your opinion?
There are very few cars in production that sound as good as the GT350 - i'd argue the Shelby by a longshot.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:47 PM
Para82
Race Car

A year from now you will be able to buy GT350s at list all day long and R's also especially as used ones show up on the market.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:20 PM
calpolo17
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jooyoung99

Ken Grody Ford in OC california are asking almost $50K over sticker for a non R. $100K Mustang?
I got Ken Gordy down to 10k over on a customizable order. They are buying cars at msrp from out of state and selling them with adjustment. Had no qualms about telling me this. When I was there a couple weeks ago, they had 18 cars inbound, all with tech package.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:59 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by calpolo17
I got Ken Gordy down to 10k over on a customizable order. They are buying cars at msrp from out of state and selling them with adjustment. Had no qualms about telling me this. When I was there a couple weeks ago, they had 18 cars inbound, all with tech package.
Yup they tried to steal my allocation - good thing my dealer isn't a scumbag and I had a written contract for msrp. They had numerous other dealers offer 10k over list also.

Quick Reply: GT350