Notices

GT350

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 09:36 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mmm951
The fact that I own a GT3 probably had a lot to do with my impressions of the GT4. To me, it is a wannabe.

The GT350 is just different in sound and dynamics but in a good way. The brakes are phenomenal with modulation and feel, unlike the big brembos on the Z06/Z07. When it revs in the higher range it just pulls like a freight train and reminds me of the GT3, both screaming in their own pitch. Crazy as it sounds, it is "Porsche" like and feels like a purpose built car. Does it have the same quality of materials as the GT4...no.

When I had the GT4, I would always choose the GT3 to drive. With the GT350, I find myself splitting the time more. I don't know, the GT350 makes feel like I am back in high school and makes me crank up my AC/DC. But now I have a car that can eat up a track instead of the stoplights!

Funny thing is...some people on the board turn their nose up to the GT350, it is a looker and a conversation piece everywhere I go. It is just a cool car regardless of price and it attracts the attention of people as much as my GT3.

Nicely put. And yes i'm constantly catching cell phones filming and taking pictures. My Boss Laguna Seca (which was much more rare) never had this kind of attention. If you want to blend in more - do not get this car.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:38 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by DerStig
Strong comments from GT3 owners which I respect dearly. I will go read/watch videos more on this car. If so many of you are saying this, maybe there is good reason for it.

What about the engine note of GT3? Are you also saying the ford sounds better? I am in love with almost F1 like engine note of GT3. Its one thing to say ford has one of the best sounding V8s, but its another if you are saying it sounds better than Porsche.
Somebody give this guy a test drive, he needs to hear this thing - sort of sounds like God laughing.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:42 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I'm impressed with it. My problem is both dealers local to me wanted $20k over MSRP.
So did my local dealers - you have to put in the effort to search out of state too. Are you monitoring the Shelby forums? We get the occasional 5k over list deal pop up and even the odd msrp allocation....
Old 02-13-2016, 10:43 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

The GT350 doesn't sound like a Ferrari because the firing order is different. How the cylinders are firing is what gives the exhaust pulses,which basically makes the exhaust noise a car makes.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:45 AM
Para82
Race Car

The new Ferrari has nothing on this sound....

Old 02-14-2016, 04:26 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,988 Likes on 561 Posts

The 350/ 350R is the best sounding NA V8, sorry if anyone disagrees with my opinion on that but it sounds way better than 98% of the cars out there.

It won't be the ultimate track car like my ACR but it will be awesome on the track.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:49 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,767 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
The 350/ 350R is the best sounding NA V8, sorry if anyone disagrees with my opinion on that but it sounds way better than 98% of the cars out there.

It won't be the ultimate track car like my ACR but it will be awesome on the track.
Agreed
Old 02-14-2016, 09:33 AM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Of all the great things about the ACR, so far sound hasn't been my favorite. I still liked the GT3 w/ CSR exhaust over even Ferrari's 458 and even Speciale.

Looking forward to hearing this 350 R live on track, but so far due to limited numbers I might have a better chance spotting a Unicorn?

Don't understand why Ford won't simply build as many of these as they can sell? It's not their GT for goodness sakes?? Even the ACR is available to anyone who wants one.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:37 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 811 Likes on 425 Posts

Looks and sound are subjective. I like the sound of the GT350 but like the sound of the lopey V8 better. I also like the looks of the Boss 302 LS better. The GT350 sounds very raspy and steps away from the traditional American V8 muscle sound and cadence. Its looks and sound are more European than classic Mustang. Different.

I like the FPC. Its a neat piece. Waiting to see how it holds up since there has never been a FPC motor as large as 5.2 liters.

It should be noted 1/4 mile time and 0-60 times of the GT350 and Boss are equivalent. Again major difference in performance delta are the tires on road course. Track time differences mainly due to size of tires stock for stock. Chassis is more sophisticated on the GT350 with wider track and IRS and ability to camber the rear tires.

Driven the GT350. Was slightly faster stock for stock but I didn't get out and say OMG! what a difference!!!

Seems like there are more GT350s for sale then Boss 302s right now. Also GT350 and GT350R have the same exact drive train. Main performance differential again is in the tires and CF wheels.

Waiting for a black on black R. Will be keeping the Boss 302's though. Classic American Mustang and the best of the S197 gen.

Also expect various "improvements" in the GT350 in upcoming MY releases.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:51 AM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

I agree. May have to go out in the garage and start mine up just to have a listen.

Too cold/salty to drive.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:52 AM
DerStig
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Para82
The new Ferrari has nothing on this sound....

Ford Shelby GT350RC At Daytona - YouTube
I am not trying to be negative but why does it sound like some bolt or metal piece is loose when he revs the engine? Or more so when he revs it but lets go of the throttle? Its almost like metal on metal tin can kind of noise. Not the tone but similar behavior was also on mhy F80 M3 which was one of the reasons I couldnt stand it and sold it. Again I am not implying V8 in ford sounds like the turbo I6, but it was a similar sound behavior.

I find this kind of sound much more appealing and classy. For some reason ford sounds too raspy and there is too much tin can noise. Watch it at 2:00 and 4:00 for the best parts:

Old 02-14-2016, 11:01 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Definite similarity in sound to the FPC.

Back in 2011/2012 they were all going nutso over the Boss 302 exhaust note which I still love especially the lopey idle with the track key.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:02 AM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Looks and sound are subjective. I like the sound of the GT350 but like the sound of the lopey V8 better. I also like the looks of the Boss 302 LS better. The GT350 sounds very raspy and steps away from the traditional American V8 muscle sound and cadence. Its looks and sound are more European than classic Mustang. Different.

I like the FPC. Its a neat piece. Waiting to see how it holds up since there has never been a FPC motor as large as 5.2 liters.

It should be noted 1/4 mile time and 0-60 times of the GT350 and Boss are equivalent. Again major difference in performance delta are the tires on road course. Track time differences mainly due to size of tires stock for stock. Chassis is more sophisticated on the GT350 with wider track and IRS and ability to camber the rear tires.

Driven the GT350. Was slightly faster stock for stock but I didn't get out and say OMG! what a difference!!!

Seems like there are more GT350s for sale then Boss 302s right now. Also GT350 and GT350R have the same exact drive train. Main performance differential again is in the tires and CF wheels.

Waiting for a black on black R. Will be keeping the Boss 302's though. Classic American Mustang and the best of the S197 gen.

Also expect various "improvements" in the GT350 in upcoming MY releases.
I agree sound is subjective. Loved the sound of my GT3's (07 rs and 15 3). Also love the sound of my Boss and my GT350. They are definitely different and enjoy the sound of both. If I had to pick a favorite from the cars I've owned would be the 07 RS with Sharky rear bypass. That thing screamed. I think the 991 GT3's sound better from outside then inside. One of the joys of the GT3 Smokies events is when everyone takes off. Heavenly sounding.

As far as looks I personally think the GT350 is head and shoulders better looking than the Boss. When I look at them sitting next to each other I just think it looks better. YMMV.

As far as track speed all of these cars are more than plenty fast at the track for my abilities. I am an experienced if slow track driver and all of these cars are way faster then me. I am getting old and self preservation is more important. If I wanted to "win" my DE I would get an ACR extreme. At this point in life I am more about the experience and feel. Looking forward to seeing if the GT4 will fill this void in Porsche for me. I am definitely more analog than digital. So many nice cars these days you can't go wrong.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:33 AM
mmm951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is a video Ford created that will extinguish a few negative assumptions on what the GT350 is about...

Old 02-14-2016, 11:57 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

No doubt what the new GT350 is about. Its an amazing car and a step forward for the Mustang.

I expect the GT350 will get better and better as it will have to in order to compete against the new offerings coming out each year. Expect a new Z28.

Like I said, waiting to add a GT350R. Black on Black!!!

Quick Reply: GT350