Notices

GT350

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 10:31 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

Here's a slightly used one but better than new with a clear bra and tint...https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...odelCode1=MUST
Old 05-17-2018, 10:51 AM
3_PDLS
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Geza
An all optioned 2017 is only $61,535 MSRP. The Black one shown above can only be $59,870 MSRP (no Black Roof and Stripe).
Good catch. Disregard both that I posted; dealership is playing games with the sticker price shown vs actual. Pisses me off!
Old 05-17-2018, 11:01 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by jmann2380
Even one better. A 17 for ~$9k off: https://www.paulmillerford.com/new-L...6P8JZ5H5526176
Really only $2500 off MSRP--check the window sticker. Not sure about their math but I am about mine.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:05 PM
3_PDLS
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
Really only $2500 off MSRP--check the window sticker. Not sure about their math but I am about mine.
Did you read my post directly above?
Old 05-18-2018, 01:42 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Sorry, not very carefully as it appears. (It was very late; I was tired; and was reading on my phone.) All good.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:24 AM
Randy M
Drifting

I had a '16 GT350 that sh*t the bed with the seized engine with only 3K on it. Took some arm twisting to get Ford to send me a new car. I waited 6 months for a '17. I put another 4K on that car but with all of the engines that have been blowing up/seizing etc..... I ultimately chose to sell mine as I could no longer enjoy the car. I just couldn't trust that it would stay together. I'll be taking delivery of my 5th 911 in Sept. I think I'm finally done with American cars. The fit/finish on both of the GT350's I had was pretty bad.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:46 PM
DNSGT3
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy M
I had a '16 GT350 that sh*t the bed with the seized engine with only 3K on it. Took some arm twisting to get Ford to send me a new car. I waited 6 months for a '17. I put another 4K on that car but with all of the engines that have been blowing up/seizing etc..... I ultimately chose to sell mine as I could no longer enjoy the car. I just couldn't trust that it would stay together. I'll be taking delivery of my 5th 911 in Sept. I think I'm finally done with American cars. The fit/finish on both of the GT350's I had was pretty bad.
Lol you'd be flamed on mustang6g. I sold my GT350 after 6 months. Great car to drive. Terrible fit & finish. Engine is the big selling point but also where the big issue comes from.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:57 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Originally Posted by DNSGT3
Lol you'd be flamed on mustang6g. I sold my GT350 after 6 months. Great car to drive. Terrible fit & finish. Engine is the big selling point but also where the big issue comes from.
Those guys on that board are largely in denial, till it happens to them. The GT350 is rife with shotty build quality, but the engine does seem to be the big issue. The power and the way it makes it is great but the engineering might be so flawed to the point that every 5.2 FPC longevity is suspect. We will see but I chose to sell as I think the values are going to tank once the questionable reliability for the 5.2 really starts to take hold.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:06 PM
DNSGT3
Racer

Those guys on that board are largely in denial, till it happens to them. The GT350 is rife with shotty build quality, but the engine does seem to be the big issue. The power and the way it makes it is great but the engineering might be so flawed to the point that every 5.2 FPC longevity is suspect. We will see but I chose to sell as I think the values are going to tank once the questionable reliability for the 5.2 really starts to take hold.
True. When Ford says they replace FPC with CPC in their race cars because they want to 'keep the FPC exclusive to road cars', I laughed.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:29 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 204 Posts

15,600 miles on my 2017 and its been flawless. Build quality is excellent all around, no service required other than oil. It does eat oil, so you have to be very careful to monitor oil levels since there is no idiot light to warn you. This may have been the cause of some of the reported issues. Statistically speaking, I think its still too early to say if there is a serious issue. Careful what you read on the internet, they would have you believe that every 996 is about to blow up.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:58 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Originally Posted by jakermc
15,600 miles on my 2017 and its been flawless. Build quality is excellent all around, no service required other than oil. It does eat oil, so you have to be very careful to monitor oil levels since there is no idiot light to warn you. This may have been the cause of some of the reported issues. Statistically speaking, I think its still too early to say if there is a serious issue. Careful what you read on the internet, they would have you believe that every 996 is about to blow up.
But it eats oil (most of them do) so that's not flawless in my book. I read that Ford says a quart per 500 miles is 'normal' lol. Both of my GT350's had paint so thin that you could see the primer at certain angles on the hood. Other paint flaws, rear bumper sag that gets worse over time, inconsistent panel gaps, crappy panel stampings, interior rattles etc. It's a great performer but you definitely get what you pay for. Ford hasn't (and will never) address all the engine trouble the 5.2 FPC has had. They stopped racing it though and that is all too telling. It's a statement to everyone who's paying attention that they don't even believe in the 5.2 FPC which is another reason why I got rid of it. I should have taken the buyback money instead after my '16 popped.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:33 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 204 Posts

But it eats oil (most of them do) so that's not flawless in my book. I read that Ford says a quart per 500 miles is 'normal' lol. Both of my GT350's had paint so thin that you could see the primer at certain angles on the hood. Other paint flaws, rear bumper sag that gets worse over time, inconsistent panel gaps, crappy panel stampings, interior rattles etc. It's a great performer but you definitely get what you pay for. Ford hasn't (and will never) address all the engine trouble the 5.2 FPC has had. They stopped racing it though and that is all too telling. It's a statement to everyone who's paying attention that they don't even believe in the 5.2 FPC which is another reason why I got rid of it. I should have taken the buyback money instead after my '16 popped.
1 qt every 2,500 miles for me. Your Porsche manual will give you the same warning.

Ford's confidence in the 5.2 is probably best demonstrated by the fact that there will be a 2019 model year. Quite a long run for a special model. Don't think they would continue to produce if they felt there was a huge liability hanging over their head. Much like the engine failures on the GT3, the IMS on the 996, etc the internet message boards tend to overstate true failure rates and their causes.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:00 AM
DNSGT3
Racer

It's just people perceive information differently.
What I read from internet is:
- engine replacement did happen to multiple forum members for MY 2016-2018
- most engines are okay except high oil consumption,
- Ford amended owners manual stating 1qt /500 miles oil consumption this is under normal threshold
- Ford does not allow dealership to open the engine and investigate the problem
- Ford has take FCP out of their race series with a reason that far from convincing
True there is only around 50 engine replacements reported on the forum, but maybe the sample size is small as well? Plus so far, no one knows what the issue is. Failed engine got packed and sent back to Ford directly.
You can say I'm fine, my engine is good. Unlikely this will happen to me. - which I agree. It is a fact. Some 991.1 GT3 engine survived thousands of miles and are still running given there is a design flaw that is well documented.
For me, after see, touch, feel all the bad build quality everyday, plus this 'potential' engine issue - I sold the car. It's those issues and worries took away the pleasure of the ownership experience.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:26 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 231 Posts

1 qt every 2,500 miles for me. Your Porsche manual will give you the same warning.

Ford's confidence in the 5.2 is probably best demonstrated by the fact that there will be a 2019 model year. Quite a long run for a special model. Don't think they would continue to produce if they felt there was a huge liability hanging over their head. Much like the engine failures on the GT3, the IMS on the 996, etc the internet message boards tend to overstate true failure rates and their causes.
Except a few people who did have problems and sold them continue to have sour grapes over it and insist that everyone has or will ultimately have the same problems they do. I can tell you that this is simply untrue. A few local guys here have them as well as a couple friends who I connected with buying theirs and no problems for anyone, at this point. Mine is great - does use some oil - about the same as my RS4, another high-revving V8 - par for the course. 1qt per 3kish miles. I did have the AC go completely out, requiring multiple parts of the system be replaced.

Originally Posted by DNSGT3
It's just people perceive information differently.
What I read from internet is:
- engine replacement did happen to multiple forum members for MY 2016-2018
- most engines are okay except high oil consumption,
- Ford amended owners manual stating 1qt /500 miles oil consumption this is under normal threshold
- Ford does not allow dealership to open the engine and investigate the problem
- Ford has take FCP out of their race series with a reason that far from convincing
True there is only around 50 engine replacements reported on the forum, but maybe the sample size is small as well? Plus so far, no one knows what the issue is. Failed engine got packed and sent back to Ford directly.
You can say I'm fine, my engine is good. Unlikely this will happen to me. - which I agree. It is a fact. Some 991.1 GT3 engine survived thousands of miles and are still running given there is a design flaw that is well documented.
For me, after see, touch, feel all the bad build quality everyday, plus this 'potential' engine issue - I sold the car. It's those issues and worries took away the pleasure of the ownership experience.
That's a personal choice, and I respect that. I tend to lean to the side that isn't doom and gloom, though A couple of things - they did remove it from racing and I've heard two convincing arguments. Harmonics + solid mounts didn't play well and the engine didn't do well trying to suck through the restrictor plate. Also, they don't all use an abnormal amount of oil.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:58 AM
Geza
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 57 Posts

With ~18,000 Voodoos built, perhaps even more now, 4 or 10 dozen replacements doesn't seem to me to be out of the ordinary for a high strung race engine. I say race engine because of the components and techniques that were used to build it, not because they are currently being hammered every Sunday - though my understanding is that Ford's Track Attack program cars are pretty reliable. Mine leads a cushy life and is a keeper - no noticeable oil consumption, no rattles, yet does suffer from crappy paint and panel fit. Like my wife always says: "I know what I married".

Quick Reply: GT350