Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 05:18 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 916Bob
I have a '17 M7 GS with Z07 package and a '17 Non-R GT350. They both spend a lot of time on the track. Here's how they compare....
Thanks for the thoughtful review based on your experience. Please followup on the cooling comparison after tracking them both in summer heat as you mentioned. It would be helpful to many, I'm sure.

TT
Old 05-23-2017, 05:23 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks 916 that's a comparison a lot of us have been looking for. I know i've got a Grandsport on my radar after I found dealers selling stripper examples for 56k. That's a lot of car. It won't have the Z07 package but it's still a great value sports car from what I can tell.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:05 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

I have a '17 M7 GS with Z07 package and a '17 Non-R GT350. They both spend a lot of time on the track. Here's how they compare:

Brakes - the GT350 stock brakes work well, but wear very quickly. I managed to vaporize a set of front pads in 7 sessions (not days), of hard driving. They are only about $200/set though. The GS Z07 CC brakes are phenomenal. They surpass anything I've ever experienced including from McLaren and Porsche. They last about twice as long and cost about 4 times as much as for the GT350.

Suspension - the GS has a much better ride on track and on street. The GT350 rides like a pickup... with a very bouncy back end. Both benefit from magnetic dampening but Chevy did a better job of it.

Balance - the GT350 is more comfortable at its limits in corners. The car slides very predictably and remains easy to control. The Pilot Super Sports are partly responsible as they don't grip like the Cup 2's do on the GS. The rear of the GS is much more likely to move on its own which makes it easier to throttle steer, but less stable. I drive the cars differently as a result.

Power - The GS has lots of torque down low whereas the GT350 makes power at the upper end. At their individual peaks, they're not that different from one another.

Cooling - I was shocked to see that the GS is one of the coolest running cars I've experienced on track. A lot of overheating bad press, mostly well deserved, made me hesitant to even try one. Chevy claims to have done what's necessary to the '17 GS to keep it cool and so far, I'm a believer. The GT350 regularly runs at 250 on the track but has yet to complain about it. On hot days, I even run the AC while on track. We'll see how they both do through the summer.

Steering - The GT350 is about the worst I've experienced. I almost hate driving it on the street. It takes a firm grip and an alert driver to keep it headed in the right direction. Strangely, I don't notice it so much on the track. The GS steering is... nice, with decent feedback, etc.

Lap times - The extra grip and lower weight of the GS gives it a significant edge in lap times.

Sound - The GT350 sound is worth the price of admission. After 5 minutes in the car, I've morphed into a 17 year old punk looking for an excuse to make some noise. It is a hoot! The GS sounds pretty good too, but it never has that effect on me.

Operating costs - You're gonna need a trust fund to keep shoes on the Vette if you track it much. I used to think the GT3 was hard on tires but not anymore. As I mentioned, the front brakes on the Mustang don't last long but they're cheap and very easy to change. BTW, I tried to use Pagid's but they don't fit. They are a Ferrari pad and don't fit correctly... bummer.

Need for mods - The GT350 absolutely needs camber plates for any kind of track use unless you like cords on the outside edge of an otherwise new tire. They both need an alignment and brake fluid. I wouldn't put the Vette on the track before changing the brake fluid. At least not a second time.

Other - They both have some nice stuff... stereo, wifi hub on the Vette, video recording on the Vette, temps for way too much stuff on the GT350, oil life remaining monitor, and more. Neither have a Jukebox feature like Porsche (I actually like it). Oh yeah, they both have oil dip sticks and butt cooler seats. The GS also has a removable top.

Transmission - M7 Vette vs. M6 GT350. 6th gear in the GT350 is more like 8th. There's a huge gap between 5th and 6th which is ridiculous as far as I'm concerned. I will admit it makes for a lot better mileage on the highway but I didn't buy the car for its mileage. Both transmissions appear to be capable of handling their duties well. I admit to beating on the GT350 transmission pretty hard and it's never even hinted that it cared. Both have nice, short throw shifters.

Clutch - A lot of people complain about the GT350 clutch but I don't mind it. It took a while to get used to its very light pressure but I'm fine with it now. Neither one is anything to brag about. The Vette gets a nod from me because it has rev matching. Yes, I'm lazy and I also admit to loving Porsche's PDK sport.

Fit and finish - Neither one equal that of Porsche but neither one is anywhere near as bad as some people say. I was actually pretty impressed with each of them considering their cost.

Value - I got a nice discount on the GS and paid MSRP for the GT350 and the Vette was still about $10K more. Their current resale is probably about the same so the GT350 is holding it's value better.

Fun Factor - I planned to decide which I liked better and get rid of the other. I'm still trying to decide. Each time I drive either one, I like it and figure I should keep it. The GT350 probably provides bigger highs but also has bigger lows. The Vette has maybe fewer highs, but also not as many big lows.
Thanks for the write up, really enjoyed reading it and agree with most about the gt350

I've heard a few people complain about the sketchy street beahaviour. I also have a 17' gt350 and it doesn't behave like that at all. Could it be tire related, or track alignment?
I run the super sports on the street together with an aftermarket R wheel.
Mine have only done 2 track days, have a 996gt3 for that and is running very similar times in the stock gt350 as I am in my 996gt3.

I'm running stock alignment.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:34 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 280 Posts

The SC2s on the R...require paying attention. Many large front-tire-cars do, though. The R has 305s in the front. I imagine coming from a rear-engine Porsche which typically has smaller front tires, would b quite noticeable.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:15 PM
916Bob
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
I've heard a few people complain about the sketchy street beahaviour. I also have a 17' gt350 and it doesn't behave like that at all. Could it be tire related, or track alignment?
Mine actually got better after the camber plates and track alignment. I'm sure the large front tires are a factor but their footprint is about the same as on the GS, but the GS is far more civilized. I've heard some people say it's tramlining but I hope Ford did a better job on the chassis than that would imply.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:46 AM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 280 Posts

It is tramlining - which is mostly a function of alignment and these tires. Mine seemed to get better after the first 1000 miles. I also noticed it less in comfort mode vs sport...but like I said, it's not very often that I notice it, anymore. I wouldn't call it uncivilized, at all. My wife drives the R to work some days and she would mention it if it bothered her.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:10 PM
Para82
Race Car

I switched to Michelin Cup 2 tires 305 all around - on the street it hunts grooves like people have reported on the R. Stock MPSS has zero tramlining.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:17 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

edgy. i d call it edgy. its a street car and the alignments while oriented for the street is also setup for the track a bit. of course its going to be a bit off unless its at full song. i find that its a bit like a cup car. at low speeds, cup car alignment, the motors, the trans, the steering isn't ideal.
at full page, everything sort if works.
just my two cents. its an alive car.

anyone have any thoughts of the R vs a Viper ACRs? in particular the GTS-R. ? a buddy of mine has aa 1:28 which is super cool, but almost a bit over the top, i kind of like the subtly, and lower cost of a fun hammer around car like the gt350R.
on the other hand, the performance of the viper looks sharp. both look at long term valueable as the other....under what you pay...

thoughts??
Old 05-25-2017, 01:49 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a '17 M7 GS with Z07 package and a '17 Non-R GT350. They both spend a lot of time on the track. Here's how they compare:

Brakes - the GT350 stock brakes work well, but wear very quickly. I managed to vaporize a set of front pads in 7 sessions (not days), of hard driving. They are only about $200/set though. The GS Z07 CC brakes are phenomenal. They surpass anything I've ever experienced including from McLaren and Porsche. They last about twice as long and cost about 4 times as much as for the GT350.

Suspension - the GS has a much better ride on track and on street. The GT350 rides like a pickup... with a very bouncy back end. Both benefit from magnetic dampening but Chevy did a better job of it.

Balance - the GT350 is more comfortable at its limits in corners. The car slides very predictably and remains easy to control. The Pilot Super Sports are partly responsible as they don't grip like the Cup 2's do on the GS. The rear of the GS is much more likely to move on its own which makes it easier to throttle steer, but less stable. I drive the cars differently as a result.

Power - The GS has lots of torque down low whereas the GT350 makes power at the upper end. At their individual peaks, they're not that different from one another.

Cooling - I was shocked to see that the GS is one of the coolest running cars I've experienced on track. A lot of overheating bad press, mostly well deserved, made me hesitant to even try one. Chevy claims to have done what's necessary to the '17 GS to keep it cool and so far, I'm a believer. The GT350 regularly runs at 250 on the track but has yet to complain about it. On hot days, I even run the AC while on track. We'll see how they both do through the summer.

Steering - The GT350 is about the worst I've experienced. I almost hate driving it on the street. It takes a firm grip and an alert driver to keep it headed in the right direction. Strangely, I don't notice it so much on the track. The GS steering is... nice, with decent feedback, etc.

Lap times - The extra grip and lower weight of the GS gives it a significant edge in lap times.

Sound - The GT350 sound is worth the price of admission. After 5 minutes in the car, I've morphed into a 17 year old punk looking for an excuse to make some noise. It is a hoot! The GS sounds pretty good too, but it never has that effect on me.

Operating costs - You're gonna need a trust fund to keep shoes on the Vette if you track it much. I used to think the GT3 was hard on tires but not anymore. As I mentioned, the front brakes on the Mustang don't last long but they're cheap and very easy to change. BTW, I tried to use Pagid's but they don't fit. They are a Ferrari pad and don't fit correctly... bummer.

Need for mods - The GT350 absolutely needs camber plates for any kind of track use unless you like cords on the outside edge of an otherwise new tire. They both need an alignment and brake fluid. I wouldn't put the Vette on the track before changing the brake fluid. At least not a second time.

Other - They both have some nice stuff... stereo, wifi hub on the Vette, video recording on the Vette, temps for way too much stuff on the GT350, oil life remaining monitor, and more. Neither have a Jukebox feature like Porsche (I actually like it). Oh yeah, they both have oil dip sticks and butt cooler seats. The GS also has a removable top.

Transmission - M7 Vette vs. M6 GT350. 6th gear in the GT350 is more like 8th. There's a huge gap between 5th and 6th which is ridiculous as far as I'm concerned. I will admit it makes for a lot better mileage on the highway but I didn't buy the car for its mileage. Both transmissions appear to be capable of handling their duties well. I admit to beating on the GT350 transmission pretty hard and it's never even hinted that it cared. Both have nice, short throw shifters.

Clutch - A lot of people complain about the GT350 clutch but I don't mind it. It took a while to get used to its very light pressure but I'm fine with it now. Neither one is anything to brag about. The Vette gets a nod from me because it has rev matching. Yes, I'm lazy and I also admit to loving Porsche's PDK sport.

Fit and finish - Neither one equal that of Porsche but neither one is anywhere near as bad as some people say. I was actually pretty impressed with each of them considering their cost.

Value - I got a nice discount on the GS and paid MSRP for the GT350 and the Vette was still about $10K more. Their current resale is probably about the same so the GT350 is holding it's value better.

Fun Factor - I planned to decide which I liked better and get rid of the other. I'm still trying to decide. Each time I drive either one, I like it and figure I should keep it. The GT350 probably provides bigger highs but also has bigger lows. The Vette has maybe fewer highs, but also not as many big lows.
Fantastic, and much appreciated! I find myself leaning towards the GS at the moment, but wish for a GS chassis and a GT350 motor. Any guesses on what lap time differential would be on track like Sebring or COTA given same rubber?
Old 05-25-2017, 02:03 AM
CliffJumper RS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great post! Thank you. But, I'm a bit disappointed that the GT350 didn't rate better, particularly on the suspension/ride part.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:14 AM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by CliffJumper RS
Great post! Thank you. But, I'm a bit disappointed that the GT350 didn't rate better, particularly on the suspension/ride part.
Drive a GT350, you'll be pleased. It's pure car crack.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:43 AM
rmauro
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

As a former owner of a 17 GS- love the car but there is no resale for corvettes- they are giving them away at 10k+ new and this will continue into 2018 as there are no car changes.
As for GT350- second one for me- bought last September- no resale for these cars at this time except in low 50s or 15% off list. I laugh at dealers still asking over list.
I think both of these cars are suffering from the shift from cars to SUVs including Porsche.
JMHO
Old 05-25-2017, 10:36 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 467 Posts

I have had tramlining once on the way to Sebring but trip home was fine. 6000 miles on the car and very pleased with the street ride in normal mode, much better than my previous Cayman GTS with X71. For track in track mode the car tightens up nicely but it isn't a race car but a street car that is track capable.

As for Sebring on comparable tires I would expect the GS to be the faster car by several seconds.

Peter
Old 05-25-2017, 11:39 AM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

great compare 916bob, thanks!
Old 05-25-2017, 04:47 PM
916Bob
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
Fantastic, and much appreciated! I find myself leaning towards the GS at the moment, but wish for a GS chassis and a GT350 motor. Any guesses on what lap time differential would be on track like Sebring or COTA given same rubber?
I haven't had the GS on COTA but I think it would do very well there. The one time I had the GT350 there, the tires were pretty much heat cycled into hockey pucks and that made the car seem heavier than what it is. Equal tires I'd say at least 2 seconds, probably more in favor of the GS.

Quick Reply: GT350