Notices

2014 Camaro Z28 joining the track-day fun

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

500 HP, carbon brakes, track set up w/ ac delete option and radio, and finally decent seats....for 60kish?
hmm I would sell my GT3 for 1 in a second...
Old 04-01-2013, 12:44 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Couldn't resist, I placed a deposit for the first Z/28 allocation at at one of the largest US GM dealers. Too cool of a car to resist, I understand and appreciate the details of what they did, and I will need something fun for street driving.

Even if it comes in at $70k it's half the price of a GT3 and 1/3 of what a GT3RS will be. Manual shift and a romping stomping hand-built V8 will be a visceral experience. I dig it.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:03 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Couldn't resist, I placed a deposit for the first Z/28 allocation at at one of the largest US GM dealers. Too cool of a car to resist, I understand and appreciate the details of what they did, and I will need something fun for street driving.

Even if it comes in at $70k it's half the price of a GT3 and 1/3 of what a GT3RS will be. Manual shift and a romping stomping hand-built V8 will be a visceral experience. I dig it.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:27 PM
Oldskewl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work Savy,

Can't wait to hear the first impressions.

From what I gather the ZL1 is a very good machine on the track, and I bet this car will shut a lot of people up when it hits the streets..
Old 04-01-2013, 05:12 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Savy here is your new avitar
Attached Images  
Old 04-01-2013, 05:15 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by 4porsh

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
Nice work Savy,

Can't wait to hear the first impressions.

From what I gather the ZL1 is a very good machine on the track, and I bet this car will shut a lot of people up when it hits the streets..
Spring of '14 is when they project to start delivering cars, so plenty of time for lots of things to change

Just an amazing time to be a auto enthusiast. So who else is placing a deposit and getting in line? Any Viper TA buyers?
Old 04-01-2013, 05:18 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by mdrums
Savy here is your new avitar
Bwahhh!

Love it!

Done!

Whoops! I had to find a "correct" graphic. The serious Z28 guys would crucify me if it didn't have the /
Old 04-01-2013, 05:36 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I can't believe I find myself considering this car as well....hell has frozen over...
Old 04-01-2013, 05:41 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts
Default z

It is a camaro with z06 engine and killer brakes.
Wanted to see that combo years ago.

Now if they would only stick the ZR1 engine in the camaro all would be good.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:42 PM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spring of '14 is when they project to start delivering cars, so plenty of time for lots of things to change

Just an amazing time to be a auto enthusiast. So who else is placing a deposit and getting in line? Any Viper TA buyers?
Hell you got me to place a deposit on a C7 with the Corvette thread. Might as well place a deposit on the Z28 too.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:42 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks badass...Pete, I just did a lemons 24 hours, you should try it. Perhaps we can do a renlist team.
It will forever change a HPDE event for me and never be the same. Not even the spec series that NCRC has. After the lemons race, everything is dull and boring. for under 5k, you can buy a POS car prepped with LOADS of more fun then lets say, a GT3 in NCRC series or a HPDE. Lemons 24 blows everything track related out of the water ( that does include my 12 hour karting endurance- that is still the best)

True story.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Ya think? Check this sh*t out (emphasis added):

" this new Z/28 is not meant to be a daily driver. it will "separate the men from the boys" so to speak....... If you want comfort -- this is not the car for you.....

We stayed true to the original intent. Want a stereo radio? Go buy a ZL1 or a
1LE or an SS and make mods

The Z/28 is essentially a race car.
I think that's what makes the car a failure. If you want a car that is useless away from the track, why do you start with such a heavy platform? This treatment would have made more sense in a car like a Z06, which weighs almost a thousand lbs less to begin with.

Why would I sweat my *** off with no A/C, while being bored with no radio, driving 150 miles to the track in 100 degree weather...when I can be comfortable in a z06, and still be faster at the track.

Engineering a car that is awesome on the track, with minimal compromise. Now THAT's difficult.

Maybe they'll pull it off. No one can comment until the car is on the showroom floor. However, on paper, I don't think the car makes sense.

Last edited by Serge944; 04-01-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:13 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I can't believe I find myself considering this car as well....hell has frozen over...
Lol!

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
It is a camaro with z06 engine and killer brakes.
Wanted to see that combo years ago.
Way more than just that. Read up on the suspension

And the Z/28 comes with Forged wheels! Porsche, biggest profit margins of any car maker, shameless MSRP, does it give us enthusiasts forged wheels on any GT car (even $200k+)?, nope. (later self-correction, new GT3 are forged yes? Or no?)

Originally Posted by bensf
Hell you got me to place a deposit on a C7 with the Corvette thread. Might as well place a deposit on the Z28 too.
Haha!

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
It looks badass...Pete, I just did a lemons 24 hours, you should try it. Perhaps we can do a renlist team.
It will forever change a HPDE event for me and never be the same. Not even the spec series that NCRC has. After the lemons race, everything is dull and boring. for under 5k, you can buy a POS car prepped with LOADS of more fun then lets say, a GT3 in NCRC series or a HPDE. Lemons 24 blows everything track related out of the water ( that does include my 12 hour karting endurance- that is still the best)

True story.
I believe you! Fun is not proportional to $ spent! Let's do a RL team! I'll join! Somebody organize it, I'm all organized out

Last edited by savyboy; 04-01-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:20 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Serge944
I think that's what makes the car a failure. If you want a car that is useless away from the track, why do you start with such a heavy platform? This treatment would have made more sense in a car like a Z06, which weighs almost a thousand lbs less to begin with.

Why would I sweat my *** off with no A/C, while being bored with no radio, driving 150 miles to the track in 100 degree weather...when I can be comfortable in a z06, and still be faster at the track.

Engineering a car that is awesome on the track, with minimal compromise. Now THAT's difficult.

Maybe they'll pull it off. No one can comment until the car is on the showroom floor. However, on paper, I don't think the car makes sense.
Certainly a fair and well reasoned viewpoint, I understand. My thought is if I am going to have a street-legal weekend and fun times car (in addition to a pure track machine in my case) then I want it to be rough and tumble and hugely visceral. The Z/28 seems to fit that need for occasional 30 minute/1 hour adrenaline fix on the street when I can't make it to a track/track day.

I sure as hell would not want to drive it 4 hours to Thunderhill on I-80, that's for damn sure.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:53 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Good on you, Savy. IMO, buy the AC if you plan on putting a license plate on it. 60 lbs on a 3500 lb car will make no difference on track.

Curious: what size deposit did they want?

Quick Reply: 2014 Camaro Z28 joining the track-day fun