Notices

2014 Camaro Z28 joining the track-day fun

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 01:34 AM
mepps
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like it, dunno if i have ever said that about a camaro before.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:47 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

i must admit how i like the Z28 making a comeback and such.

However you just cant beat a real deal 1969.
I have been quietly building one for over a year now.....
Attached Images  
Old 03-28-2013, 08:24 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

This really is quite amazing, a group of dedicated foreign car guys, P-car nuts, actually, giving props to the American Iron makers....the "Mfg in the USA" might actually be worth considering given that the price point could be approximately 50% less for a little less "feel".....what a statement by the General, Ford and Chrylser/Fiat.....kudos.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:15 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 94 Posts

Guys, I am also in the camp of loving this new Z28 and it's a very compelling value. However, know if you are willing to look around, MAJOR deals can be had a new Z06.

A buddy bought a new leftover '11 Z06 Z07 car from a dealer up north. Brand new sticker $97k. He got it for $69k. Yes, $28k off sticker. It was a supersonic blue Z06 with the Z07 package( carbon ceramic brakes, magnetic suspension, and the carbon fiber splitters, rocker panels, etc. Basically a ZR1 with an LS7 engine.

So, all that said, if you can get a new Z06 in the $60's for a track day car, I would think that is a more compelling value than the Z28. That said, the Z28 is awesome.

Another thing to consider is that if Chevrolet is willing to do a track day special on the Camaro, what does that mean for the upcoming C7? Imagine a track day package on the C7 Z06 or ZR1?!?! The possibilities are pretty astounding.

As this is a P-car board, it's also great the manufacturers are all pushing each other so much. Competition ultimately helps builds better products for everyone.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:16 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

If some sales guy showed up with just the right spec at my house he may be taking a taxi back. Holding out for a loaded track ready C7 Z51 package. TCN will report and film the dealer treatment when it is delivered broken on a flat bed. Or not and I get the real track version.

Wassup with Chevvy?! 4 weeks ago they were dead, they show up with on paper track worthy Corvette with a nice interior, Camaro track pack is tripper and a family sedan V8 4 door RWD!

They probably just fall to pieces on the way to the track if they honor their reputation, but what if they hold up at the track, or what if they are easy on the warranty with a track car??

The USA was build on hopes and dreams...
Old 03-28-2013, 07:51 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 94 Posts

I'm on my third Vette because they've always been good to me. I have little to no patience so rest assured, I would drop the Vette brand in a heartbeat (pardon the pun on the old Chevy ad campaign) if it treated me wrong.

My ZR1 has been bulletproof through thousands of hard track miles, many sets of tires, over a thousand gallons of gas, and several sets of brake pads. Looking forward to full reviews on the 991 GT3 RS and the C7 ZR1 to see where I head next.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:33 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Quikag, thanks. In 2008 it was a coin toss between a z06 and Gt3, I made the right decision in terms of depreciation and running cost.

We are at a crossroads again.
Love to pick your brain.

Where are you located?
What tracks do you run, how many days in what Corvettes?
lap times. I doubt any car keep up with a ZR1..

Etc.

It's all relative but it sounds like you may be up to speed ;-)
I'm cool with dropping in a 10 k engine every 50 track days and or replacing the car and repeat. IF they feel right in my hands :-)
Old 03-28-2013, 08:50 PM
Bullitt44
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

This thing will be appreciated by the track crowd, but knowing the camaro crowd I am sure they will mainly just sit around car shows.

I would entertain one of these for a track toy!!
Old 03-28-2013, 08:53 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Drag races. But this time the at least are marketing it to us. DE guys...
Old 03-31-2013, 01:24 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Drag races. But this time the at least are marketing it to us. DE guys...
Ya think? Check this sh*t out (emphasis added):

" this new Z/28 is not meant to be a daily driver. it will "separate the men from the boys" so to speak....... If you want comfort -- this is not the car for you.....

We stayed true to the original intent. Want a stereo radio? Go buy a ZL1 or a
1LE or an SS and make mods

The Z/28 is essentially a race car.

Sorry that some of you don't like that.....but we have to make hard decisions and I stand behind this Z/28 'til the cows come home.

I don't like to be this abrupt - but I'm operating on very little sleep - it's been a long week -- and frankly my patience is running a bit thin with people who don't understand what a Z/28 really is meant to be........"

Posted on a Camaro forum by a person, "fbodfather", who is apparently the project manager for the GM Camaro program and is interacting directly to the forum members about the new Z/28. How f*cking refreshing and honest is that? I can't believe my eyes!

Porsche has The Great Marketing Machine talking to know-nothing reporters and the US nameplates have their CEO's and PM's talking on forums to actual enthusiasts?

GM? Seriously? WOW!

What an amazing time to be an enthusiast...

Last edited by savyboy; 03-31-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:41 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Just like with the all (too) new 991 I will have to see the thing last on track to believe it, but I have to say if that's really the guy it is way cool that he is on there personally to defend and explain. Maybe I should ask for his cell# so I can ask him for a Corvette with the same treatment and offer to be a paying test driver, or hell maybe both first the Camaro and than the Corvette...
Old 03-31-2013, 03:00 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Just like with the all (too) new 991 I will have to see the thing last on track to believe it, but I have to say if that's really the guy it is way cool that he is on there personally to defend and explain. Maybe I should ask for his cell# so I can ask him for a Corvette with the same treatment and offer to be a paying test driver, or hell maybe both first the Camaro and than the Corvette...
I'm with you, proof is in the pudding. We'll have some on-he-road facts this time next year.

You could always message him on the forum??
Old 03-31-2013, 03:25 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I'm following the Corvette forum, the Z28 not so much. The first Camaro since the 70's that's not complete crap... Corvette's Z-06 have been serious track weapons for a while now but too many mods needed on the C6 to compete in value against a $100K GT3 in 07/08..

Now in 2010 The C6 Grand Sport is also a contender, but not dependable enough for me, mods and modded car take a big hit in a Corvette, GT3 not so much.

I don't mind the price of entry that is why I bought the 4.0 from you. I value the proven durability and the low cost of widely available, very well proven after market brakes, tires etc. in a car that drives better, offers more fun than any other daily driver with full warranty. And they have always warranties or good willed EVERYTHING for me.

Corvette needs to be proven, but it has the right ingredients and at 65K you have to be interested in the subject. It has to be proven fun to drive, feel right, not break on track, if it breaks will the Chevy dealer help you out?? Than again, all that has to be proven in the 140K GT3 and the RS that I have a deposit on as well..Plus I shudder to think I have to go to a Chevy dealer. I been there..... Ugh but deal with it if The Corvette proves a winner and the 991 does not.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:04 PM
savyboy
Drifting

I'm following the Corvette forum, the Z28 not so much. The first Camaro since the 70's that's not complete crap... Corvette's Z-06 have been serious track weapons for a while now but too many mods needed on the C6 to compete in value against a $100K GT3 in 07/08..

Now in 2010 The C6 Grand Sport is also a contender, but not dependable enough for me, mods and modded car take a big hit in a Corvette, GT3 not so much.

I don't mind the price of entry that is why I bought the 4.0 from you. I value the proven durability and the low cost of widely available, very well proven after market brakes, tires etc. in a car that drives better, offers more fun than any other daily driver with full warranty. And they have always warranties or good willed EVERYTHING for me.

Corvette needs to be proven, but it has the right ingredients and at 65K you have to be interested in the subject. It has to be proven fun to drive, feel right, not break on track, if it breaks will the Chevy dealer help you out?? Than again, all that has to be proven in the 140K GT3 and the RS that I have a deposit on as well..Plus I shudder to think I have to go to a Chevy dealer. I been there..... Ugh but deal with it if The Corvette proves a winner and the 991 does not.
All good points and important to consider in the big picture
Old 03-31-2013, 06:07 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen the zl-1 camaro on track being driven hard on street tires. It was definitely faster than what I thought. Don't know if it will last but time will tell. So I can only imagine if the z28 is even better. It has my attention right now

Quick Reply: 2014 Camaro Z28 joining the track-day fun