Macan 2014-Current

Would you buy the Macan again?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2020, 02:44 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,360 Likes on 623 Posts

Not sure I understand your explanation.
Brakes are a wear item. Driving more miles does not make them "last longer".
Does "happy" means no failures?
Mechanical failures are caused by a variety of things.
Not driving "enough" miles is way down on that list.
High mileage depreciation exists for a reason.
I do agree that an engine does not respond well to long term storage or frequent short trips.

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 11-06-2020 at 02:46 AM.
Old 11-06-2020, 08:45 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

Driving a lot of highway miles you don't use the brakes much so they last longer. Tracking the car, aggressive braking, stop and go traffic all have increased brake wear per mile.

Am I happy? Don't know. Heck, car has been at the dealer now for 3 weeks.

We got a new base cayenne and had a cayenne S for a couple weeks. My wife likes the macan more.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:22 AM
pop.tremuloides
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SillyGoose
Still debating Panamera vs. Macan
Two different vehicles.

However we would definitely purchase a Macan again.....However ours is still AWESOME and won't be getting it rid of it anytime soon!
Old 12-05-2020, 11:49 AM
ImpliedConsent
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm on my 2nd Macan (after I crashed my unicorn Macan). Unless there's a compelling reason for me to switch (moer power!) to another Porsche SUV (name a current US-avail brand I haven't test driven in the past 2 months), then I might consider it. As it is, I bought my 2nd Macan at an Audi dealership (yes, looking at the SQ5-- too VW looking for me-- great tech tho).

The unicorn Turbo I totalled had every.single.option. I'm missing the 3.6l, LKA, ACC (so cool). I'm still looking for that unicorn, but this "S" will do just fine until then.
Old 12-07-2020, 03:57 AM
Jim Wilke
Racer

Received 236 Likes on 88 Posts

I had a '16 Turbo, have a '19 S now. I'll get a '22 Turbo.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:24 AM
tk-porsche
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

A big question in my mind is how well the transition to mostly digital controls compares to the plethora of buttons. The BMW iDrive system is pretty good, once you're used to it. Having to take your eyes off the road for even basic settings is, however, IMO not good from a safety/convenience viewpoint. When driving, you do not want to have to navigate through multiple layers of menus to make basic selections.
Old 12-09-2020, 03:09 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

I've been off Rennlist for a while and thought I'd check in to see if there have been any interesting threads recently, and came across this one.
What caught my eye was the original poster considering a Macan vs. a Panamera, and I was interested to read the comments by Panamera owners that have bought Macans (not that I have the time to read all the posts in this very long thread!) -- as I have bought two Panameras (2015, 2018) before getting my 2019 Macan.
I got my Macan because my Panameras can't be taken everywhere comfortably -- some due to security concerns and others due to ground-clearance issues.
The Macan is cheap enough for me that I don't worry about it parked in some potentially crime-ridden areas the way that I do a Panamera.
And I often go off-pavement and even off-road in my road trips, and the Panamera just isn't good for that sort of thing (though as a long-distance, cross-country road cruiser, the Panamera cannot be beat, and the Macan is way behind in comfort and driving fun on thousand-mile trips at high speed -- though the Macan is also a great long-distance vehicle, just not as good as a Panamera if you don't have to worry about where to park and about ground-clearance issues).
But the Panamera is much better at high speeds than is the Macan, in terms of stability -- and way more fun to drive at high speeds.

Would I buy another Macan? My problem is that we've just bought our second PHEV (a RAV4 Prime for my wife) after I bought the 2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid.
Electric propulsion is just way better and more fun than ICE propulsion, I've come to appreciate. And having test-driven a couple of Taycans this year, I'm even more sold.
So my 2019 Macan (which I may keep a long time) will be my last-ever ICEV purchase -- unless it gets into an accident and I need a replacement before I can get the Porsche plug-in non-sedan that seems likely in my future (the top contenders are the current Cayenne Coupe E-Hybrid, the forthcoming Cross Turismo, and the forthcoming Macan BEV). I would buy a Macan E-Hybrid in a heartbeat -- that would be my dream vehicle right now.
It's not because I don't like my Macan -- I really do; it's because I'm too hooked on electric propulsion now, with our second fabulous PHEV (and, yes, Toyota really has done superbly with its RAV4 Prime -- exceeding my expectations ... not that I'd buy one for myself, but I'm glad that my wife insisted on one).

Last edited by cometguy; 12-09-2020 at 12:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Would you buy the Macan again?