Notices

open letter

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 02:27 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Trumper, you can relax. The list of groups that banned Francis is long and distunquished. Perhaps he would want to share that part of his credintials. Or his attempts to become a professional instructor at Skippy.

But what do I know, GhettoRacer his-own-self, told me I was not as good as I thought I was (I Must really suck because I never thought I was that good), and I was slow. I am pretty sure that is because I never did the GhettoRacer challenge of $1,000 per second.
Thanks, Mark.

It's good to know there are some SANE people in charged of these events!
Old 02-04-2006, 03:45 PM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

Originally Posted by 38D
I have to actually give Ghetto some credit for the save in his Flight of the Bumblebee sequence. Yes, he was very out of shape and was inches away from disaster, but he did save it.

There is only one major mistake at 3:57-4:01, where you almost spin (you would have been dunfer in a 911)
thank you captain obvious. kidding.

That spec miata is faster in the turns than you. Your line thru 1 is very different, and you can see that the Miata's better for exit speed (yours looks like the defensive racing line). I think you might also be better off swinging wider on the last turn. Once again, looks you are taking what looks more like a defensive racing line. Oh, and the guy in the Boxster S was not helping the Porsche cause
Actually no, they only appear to be faster in turns because I didn't want to be glued to their bumpers like in race groups... Here are their times respectively from the time attack. The black STi I was playing was was actually faster per lap... As you in the video most of the grounds he made on front straight is made up underbraking by the Civic... But i'm not definitely not sure what the fastest way around T1/T2 complex is yet... It's a fun little track. I recommend it. It is a bit hard on the brakes though, and i left quite a bit underbraking for safety reasons.

TA-B 191-285hp

1 Brady Dohrmann 240SX 1:09.104
2 Marion Vance WRX STi 1:11.657
3 Erin Morely WRX Wagon 1:14.322
4 Dan Maloney Mini Cooper 1:14.391
5 Tyler Thompson Porsche Boxster S 1:16.392
6 Ryan Johnson WRX Wagon 1:17.571
7 Bill Garliepp Unknown 1:17.676
8 Doug Rouse BMW 330i 1:19.447

TA-C 286hp - Unlimited

1 Bits Fajardo Mitsu EVO MR 1:09.306
2 Joseph Tomasolo WRX STi 1:13.220
3 Neil Nash C6 Corvette Z06 1:14.914
4 Enrique Rameriz Pontiac GTO 1:15.771
5 Daniel David Audi S4 1:16.191
6 Richard Garcia WRX STi DQ

TA-A 0-190hp

1 Frank Lin AKA GHETTO RACER HONDA Civic 1:12.569 LOOOSEBOYRACING
2 Gabe Ortega HONDA Civic 1:13.200 LOOOSEBOYRACING
3 Jeremy Renshaw Nissan 240SX 1:14.198
4 Jonathon Stern Unknown 1:15.279
5 Jeff Sturla HONDA Civic 1:15.534 LOOOSEBOYRACING
6 Chris Tomlinson Spec Miata 1:17.520
7 Jason Beatty Nissan 240SX 1:17.966
8 Justin Smith Acura Integra R 1:18.076 LOOOSEBOYRACING
9 Dan Devoy Unknown 1:19.914
10 Patrick Sagun 1:20.122

Overall I have to admit your driving looked ok in that video. The group certainly did not seem very fast, but you appeared in control, trail braked well, were tight on the apex, and fairly aggressive with the gas.
Thank you for commenting based (with out bias) on what you see. It's too bad most people here are stuck on the perception/images from 3 years ago. Confusing DE with Race events... etc. Everything with my name attached here will never be judged the same. It's too bad that I don't have the in car from Randy drove my Civic. I wanted to post that with out stating who is driving. I'm willing to bet few bucks that people will find something to be critical about even Mr. Rocket's driving...

Trumper, you can relax. The list of groups that banned Francis is long and distunquished. Perhaps he would want to share that part of his credintials. Or his attempts to become a professional instructor at Skippy.

But what do I know, GhettoRacer his-own-self, told me I was not as good as I thought I was (I Must really suck because I never thought I was that good), and I was slow. I am pretty sure that is because I never did the GhettoRacer challenge of $1,000 per second.
Mark, are you still stuck on the exchanges 3 years ago? Keep in mind, that you never rode with me. That was my biggest pet peeve about people commenting on my driving having NEVER rode with me. Having received compliments from pro drivers and corner works (you know they've seen a lot of drivers) I don't think some judgements from the free-for-all-to-trash-talk Internet from (most) people who've never seen or met me will have too huge of an impact.

I think that you are a better driver than I thought you were. You are turning impressive lap times, and I'm sure you have improved since 2003. And even back then, you weren't trying to impress people so I doubt you showed me your best you sly meister! But don't forget I've rode with some of the very finest pro's. Rhys Millen, Roger Foo, Marc Kirberg, Craig Stanton, Randy Pobst, Paul Lambert. All whom's won profesional races... so I have pretty clue on what fast driving is.

you did not know what was over that hill each time). And at the very least he could have screwed up the session for everyone else who paid for it if he crashed.
It's called, LOOKING AHEAD. Both visually by your eyes, as well as relying on the corner workers. You will be amazed how far you can see in front of you, and behind you if you pay attention. When I practice oversteer (usually only @ low/medium track call Street of Willows), I am very aware of the traffic around me; specifically, no cars behind for 10-15 seconds. Some event masters frown upon even a little tire screeching noise, and does not allow sliding the tires at all. Some are more relaxed and if done in a control manner, they let it go. Every event master runs their day slightly differently based on their experience. Why are you guys constantly judging what others are doing?! Just because they run it differently doesn't mean it is wrong or bad. Some are comfortable letting open passing go, with or with out point by's. Others are more strict... do we really need to revisit these things again? Every event master sees it differently and every master is entitled to how they want to run their event.

Last edited by GhettoRacer; 02-04-2006 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:07 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GhettoRacer
Mark, are you still stuck on the exchanges 3 years ago? Keep in mind, that you never rode with me. That was my biggest pet peeve about people commenting on my driving having NEVER rode with me. Having received compliments from pro drivers and corner works (you know they've seen a lot of drivers) I don't think some judgements from the free-for-all-to-trash-talk Internet from (most) people who've never seen or met me will have too huge of an impact.

I think that you are a better driver than I thought you were. You are turning impressive lap times, and I'm sure you have improved since 2003. And even back then, you weren't trying to impress people so I doubt you showed me your best you sly meister! But don't forget I've rode with some of the very finest pro's. Rhys Millen, Roger Foo, Marc Kirberg, Craig Stanton, Randy Pobst, Paul Lambert. All whom's won profesional races... so I have pretty clue on what fast driving is.
Frank, I am not stuck on anything though I see you are still pretty good at changing history. I think you will have a very hard time finding where I ever said anything particularly negative about your droving skills. But you will find a bunch of comments about your attitude (which sometimes affected the driving it seems). Those guys you have ridden with are quick and there are hundreds of folks at that level. You want to see what fast is, then find a ride with a former F1 driver.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:09 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But don't forget I've rode with some of the very finest pro's. Rhys Millen, Roger Foo, Marc Kirberg, Craig Stanton, Randy Pobst, Paul Lambert. All whom's won profesional races... so I have pretty clue on what fast driving is.
Wow, that's a pretty impressive list of names. The only pro who ever rode with me on the track was Brian Redmond at Sebring. And later that day I passed him!!! Of course that was in the rental car leaving the track headed for the bar, but what the hell, I'll take'm as I can get'um, right Frank?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-04-2006, 04:29 PM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

Aren't you contradicting a little bit Mark?! So I'm not a bad driver? If so, why isn't my views on the learning curve of driving fast have some legitimacy? As for the attitude, shouldn't my perfectly safe instructing record (140 instructing days since July 2000) be considered. Why do you suppose people trust me to drive their Ruf, CGT and GT3RS'? Must be my really poor attitude and their total ignorance...

I don't think F1/formula car drivers has to with too much with production car drivers. As shown in BTCC ex-F1 drivers don't dominate. It's a slightly different skill set between real race cars and production cars...
Old 02-04-2006, 05:31 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's called, LOOKING AHEAD.
Ah, I see (pun intended). You use your X-ray vision to see through the car and the hill you are going over. I think your Underoos are a bit too tight.

Both visually by your eyes, as well as relying on the corner workers. You will be amazed how far you can see in front of you, and behind you if you pay attention. When I practice oversteer (usually only @ low/medium track call Street of Willows), I am very aware of the traffic around me; specifically, no cars behind for 10-15 seconds. Some event masters frown upon even a little tire screeching noise, and does not allow sliding the tires at all. Some are more relaxed and if done in a control manner, they let it go. Every event master runs their day slightly differently based on their experience. Why are you guys constantly judging what others are doing?! Just because they run it differently doesn't mean it is wrong or bad. Some are comfortable letting open passing go, with or with out point by's. Others are more strict... do we really need to revisit these things again? Every event master sees it differently and every master is entitled to how they want to run their event.

Why are you guys constantly judging what others are doing?!
In your case it's because you're dangerous. Not only your antics on the track, but even worse is your attitude. You still cannot accept that you do anything wrong.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:17 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

LOL! I gotta say, Ghetto is always a source of that "oh my god look at what he did now I can't believe it but I can't stop looking" entertainment.

It's always kind of fun to watch an idiot thrash away.

Maybe one of those all-star drivers that you "ridden with" could let you know that it's better to be silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

So... at what point does this become a CLOSED letter?
Old 02-04-2006, 08:39 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Wow, that's a pretty impressive list of names. The only pro who ever rode with me on the track was Brian Redmond at Sebring. And later that day I passed him!!! Of course that was in the rental car leaving the track headed for the bar, but what the hell, I'll take'm as I can get'um, right Frank?
Passing on the way to the bar is called good judgement!
Old 02-05-2006, 10:16 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

This letter has not been closed probably because we all keep posting to it. Yes, I am guilty as well.

As far as our Buttonwillow event on May 26th Frank and all interested, yes, we will be running Race #1 configuration, CCW. I have been mulling this over with our lead instructor (Rick Weldon) and many others for about a month now, and we came to that decision.

As far as instructing for TEAM this year, one must attend our instructor's clininc on March 25th at PR Motorsports in Hayward to be considered. We feel it is very important to make sure everyone is on the same page. VERY few exceptions have been made to this rule (folks I know really well). With all due respect, Frank, I do not know you well enough to make you one of those exceptions, so be sure and attend that clinic please. Now that we are comping our instructors and turning up the wick on our level of professionalism, the annual instructor clinics (if not twice a year, we're still thinking about that) are mandatory. We've just got to have a guarantee that every instructor understands our program crystal clear. This is something that I've come to learn is imperitive to driver safety at our events.

Anywho . . . there is some mild good out of this thread, at least for me -- I've really enjoyed getting to know you folks. You all seem like a great group, and I can only hope that I get to meet a few of you on the track (as you smoke by me, surely).

BW
Old 09-28-2006, 03:34 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Just had to do it.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:23 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 13 Posts

Hazy, but not gone.
Frank's little gems will live on,
until server dies.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:38 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch236
Just had to do it.
Mitch!! You do realize GR is one instructor that insists on driving his students cars .
Old 09-28-2006, 04:39 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

That's "Droving" sir.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:47 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

oh God
bouncing off the tires
not my fault

Last edited by TD in DC; 09-28-2006 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:56 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,859 Likes on 2,396 Posts

oh my GOD, you cannot be serious.

the monster thread is alive........

Quick Reply: open letter