Notices

open letter

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 03:32 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 836 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonster
But nothing major yet. I am fully aware that the potential is there, but I'll probably get pissed anyway.
The fact that you at least realize it can happen is what matters. I worry when people think they can always be "in control"...tells me they've not learned that the difference between a spin and a crash is 95% dumb luck.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:37 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone who has suddenly hit oil or antifreeze on the track, no matter how skilled or "in control" of a driver, will NEVER EVER again say that you can ALWAYS be in control. Every time you go out there you are taking a risk.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:43 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
The fact that you at least realize it can happen is what matters.
***Yeah, it does require some ability to detatch from the racecar a little bit. It's hard to do! It's similar with what I've told students . . . I don't want them to spin, and spinning shouldn't be taken lightly, but it is going to happen sooner or later. How you handle it is the important part. I hope I never actually crash my car . . . that would really not be a good day for me. But then again, racing is a sport that can easily tell you who's boss. The best I can do is minimize damages.

I came DAMN close to hitting the wall at turn 10 at Sears a couple of years ago. It was mostly my error . . . there had not been a black flag out at two of the corners I passed, yet everyone was exiting the track into the hot pits area. Had I seen the black flag all, I'd have known to exit. Well, I go through turn 10 somewhere over 90 mph. Just as I clear 10 and start tracking out to the left, I'm on someone's bumper. So I nailed the brakes. CRAP! Car starts getting loose, of course. So I let off . . . but I hadn't slowed down enough not to hit the same car. So I figured I'd do what a friend of mine had done -- He coudn't stop in time, either, so he proceeded to go on as though he was going to take turn 11. So I got in behind him, but his dang brake lights didn't work (I should have known better than to trust a racecar's brake lights to work, lol - that'll learn me!)! So again, nail brakes, but this time, I had to just let the car spin. Then I remember, "Oh ****, there's a HUGE wall over there on the left." So I wait until the front tires got onto the dirt, and put 'both feet in'. I no longer gave a crap about flat-spotted tires, believe me. Funny thing was, the only thing at that point going through my head was, "I have an extra nosecone at home, so I should be okay." Crazy! But dang, that was CLOSE. So close that a corner worker came out of the peeky-boo door on the Dodge wall and gave me a round of applause. I'm surprised I didn't have to clean my seat after that nutty ordeal.

So that's as close as I've come. It sure is amazing how calm you actually remain. Thank God for seat time. Sorry for the book . . . but usually folks think it's a pretty cool story (they'd probably like it more if I'd slammed the car into the wall though, I bet -- people are such sickos! HA!).

BW
Old 01-16-2006, 03:52 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JC in NY
Anyone who has suddenly hit oil or antifreeze on the track, no matter how skilled or "in control" of a driver, will NEVER EVER again say that you can ALWAYS be in control. Every time you go out there you are taking a risk.
***Sheesh -- antifreeze?!? I hate that stuff. I wish folks would just use Water Wetter and leave the antifreeze for the winter time when they actually need the junk. I've never been through oil or antifreeze to the extent where I actually had my safety jeopardized, so cannot speak from personal experience, but I'm still aware of what it will do if I run through a puddle of the stuff. There's not a whole lot one can do in that situation but hang on. That would be one situation where getting off the track could help -- if you could even steer over there. That's a problem.

Dirt can also be slippery. I was in a mixed race (Pro 7s and SMs) last year at Thunderhill. I was coming through the esses when a couple of RX7s turned me into a sandwitch, as they were competing with each other quite aggressively. The RX7 on my right couldn't quite get around me without hitting me, so he went four off into the dirt, sending a spray of the stuff in front of me and blinding me completely. I felt my car get really loose, and thought I must be off track. Turns out I wasn't. So during this, being as I coudn't see, I tried to predict about where I should steer until the dust clears, right? Hehe . . . well, remember that RX7 on my left? He had to go off track on my left side, as I was headed for his door (couldn't see!). Then came ANOTHER cloud of dust and slippery trails. I did let off the gas real easy during the event, but I was afraid to do much else . . . not knowing what was ahead and all. Over all, the three of us agreed that we handled it well, and all I got was a nice new crack in my windshield. BOTH of these cars are 'teammates' of mine. They were very apologetic . . . even offered to replace the windshield. I declined, but thanked them for the offer, and just said "Hey, that's racing -- **** happens." Within minutes, we were drooling over the video coverage. So dirt and rocks and such can be pretty spooky, too.

BW
Old 01-16-2006, 05:13 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you post the video?
Old 01-16-2006, 05:32 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

I don't have video from Sears, but I do have video from the rocks and RX7s. However, I have no idea how to upload video to the Internet, or I'd have tons of footage up there already. In all reality, what seemed like a good 30 seconds behind the wheel actually only takes a few seconds on the footage. If you blink, you'll miss it. Doing a frame-by-frame is pretty cool, though. If anyone on the list lives near Sacramento, I'd be glad to stop by with either the original footage or the transferred footage onto VHS is they want to post it. I've got lots of fun stuff.

BW
Old 01-16-2006, 07:31 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Of course riding some guys bumper is not the only to avoid being held up. Our PCA group always announces at drivers meetings that if you get stuck behind someone who will not point you by then just pull into the pits and pull right back at onto the track. You will have opened up a large chunk of space between you and the slow car and you probably will not catch him again that session. If you do then maybe he really belongs in a slower run group. Sure you lose 30-45 seconds of track time but you are not aggravated the whole 25 minutes either.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:20 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

I've pulled in and asked for space before, Rick, I know what you mean. But if someone is riding behind you for an entire lap, just because they have a Miata doesn't mean you can't be polite (not YOU -- just 'you' in a general sense) and let them by. Sometimes, I'll pull in and as you said, catch up to the same car. Sometimes too, I will come up to several cars and have the same problem. But most times, folks are smart enough to understand what's going on. I've had only a few cases where I got upset with somebody's driving etiquette, or lack there of.

And speaking of driving . . . I get to go go-karting with a local autox club tonight. That's always interesting. Better than sitting around, longing for warm days, watching track videos.

BW
Old 01-16-2006, 08:21 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by GhettoRacer
Randy Pobst happen to show up at Audi Club over the weekend. I let him take my Civic around full blast. Should anything have happened, I would not have asked Randy for anything.
Are you comparing yourself to Mr. Pobst? I would let him drive my car no problem - he's got a good reputation in terms of driving. Plus he's got the greenbacks to front if he shunts my car in a corner!

However, GhettoRacer, you have neither the repuation that Randy Pobst has, nor do you have the wallet. Therein lies the difference.

-Z
Old 01-16-2006, 08:36 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Z-Man . . . I don't know that GR was trying to compare himself to Randy . . . just he let the guy drive his car. Randy is one of those people who can drive anything. I'd offer him my keys the next time I happened across him, but he won't fit in my 14" Kirkey seat. Lol . . . good excuse, eh? I don't loan my car out very often, usually just to have a trusted friend find out if something is making a funny noise or if it is just in my head. To date, it's been in my head, which I can live with. I get nervous when I hear weird noises. Maybe I should remember to take my medication. Lol.

Hey, Z -- I see your sig looks like Kim O.'s sig . . . do you guys race together?

BW
Old 01-16-2006, 08:53 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bonster
Hey, Z -- I see your sig looks like Kim O.'s sig . . . do you guys race together?BW
No, we don't. I don't even think I've ever met Kim O. (Actually, I only do DE's and AX at this point) "Hey, Wait for Me Racing" is a group of elitist super fast racecar drivers, exept that we're not elitists, nor are we super fast! The 'team' motto is: "A team devoted to the fine art of driving fast cars slowly." Click here for more info.

You too, can become a member of this team, if you're slow enough!

For the record, HWFMR did sponsor Kevin Buckler's car at LeMans back in 2004 - he ran with the turtle logo on his spoiler!

-Z.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:10 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

"You too, can become a member of this team, if you're slow enough!"

***Eheh . . . depends on what I eat for breakfast. Sounds like a fun group, though. And Kim isn't slow, don't let him fool you. That sticker was one of the first things I noticed about his car when I first met him -- it made me chuckle.

I have quite a collection of RX-7 buddies who always make fun of Miatas (just ribbing -- nothing serious or anything). These folks call Miatas "Poodle Cars." So guess what my smart butt did? I zip-tied a little poodle on the back of my rollcage, just behind where the pax seat would be. It's just looking out the back window with a big smile on his face. So now when friends like Bob Bradfield go smoking by me in ITA races, he has to see the poodle first, and try not to laugh. It's all about strategy, I tell ya.

BW
Old 01-16-2006, 09:21 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

PS -- Z-Man . . . just viewed the HWFMR website. That's hillarious. I especially like the one about "Don't procrastinate . . . apex early" ROFL. I recognized a couple of those little slogans from folks' signatures. What a fun group. I'd probably add something like, "If you go slow enough, the race leader will be behind you and you'll be on the lead lap." I know -- it's silly sounding. I was riding a bicycle around the paddock at Thunderhill at a race weekend with a friend of mine . . . I remember yelling out, "Hey, I passed Justin Hall!" and then softer I said, "'s car". So I did pass Justin Hall's car, but I was on a bike and he was parked in the paddock.

BW
Old 01-16-2006, 10:36 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sheesh. I lose sight of this place for a couple of days and there are 5 or 6 new pages in this thread.
Ghetto Racer has returned and brought someone to defend his honor. So Bonster, are you any good at Haiku?

BTW - Where in the world did you come up with that idea that it is easier to drive a slow car fast than a fast car fast? Do you have any experience in fast cars gpoing fast?
Old 01-17-2006, 01:20 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Mellow out now, Mark. First off . . . I haven't defended anyone. I'm just stating experience. I don't necessarily agree with everything GR says, but I also don't believe in 'flaming' someone publicly. I prefer to take that kind of stuff offlist. Lol on the Haiku stuff. I read some of that. But believe me when I tell you . . . I honestly just try and spread kindness around any time I am able. I wasn't defending so much as I was trying to lighten the mood.

As far as the fast car statement. What I meant is that say, for instance, you and I go into a turn at the same time. I don't know what that blue thing is in your avatar, but it looks pretty fast (Radical? I dunno, sorry). So say we're side by side, and now we are on the straight. You hammer the gas, and I hammer the gas . . . I have a Spec Miata . . . who do you think is going to get to the next turn first? I have been right on someone's bumper all through the turns, only to watch them walk away in the straights. This would be fine except for when I catch them in the turns again. I can often take my car faster in turns than quite a few other (faster) cars can . . . it's just the nature of the setup. And yes, I have driven fast cars fast, no worries. I can't say I would take them as fast as someone who actually owns a fast car -- that's something that should be reserved for the owner. So with respect to owner and car, yes, I have been pretty fast. I don't push it, though. I can't handle the idea of hurting someone's car.

I hope that was a more clear explanation. Don't get me wrong . . . I love cars in general. Every car has its special talents. So don't take my posts to be anything other than honest approaches to a given subject. If you want to correct or 'educate' me, I'm all for it. You might have a faster car, perhaps more experience, etc.. Instead of questioning me, tell me how to get better. And I'll do the same for you if the opportunity arrises. I'm actually pretty easy to get along with -- I hope you did not see me as any other kind of person. I'm good at parties, too -- I don't charge much, either. Lol.

BW -- still laughing about the Haiku comment -- why does that remind me of something I'd see in a Monty Python flick?

Quick Reply: open letter