Sponsored by: APR

Best Track Times in a GT4

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 10:56 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
That lift between 1 & 2, and again between 2 & 3, are difficult to overcome. Takes a LOT of confidence to hold your right foot in there. But it makes a significant difference in both lap times and vMax coming into the bus stop. As does getting on the power sooner at Turn 1. You come into all of the corners very fast. Turn 1 is one corner where you'll be rewarded if you can figure out how to get back to full throttle earlier.

As for Turn 10, it's one of the safest corners at the Glen to push it as long as you DON'T LIFT! Try a slight breath or lift on the throttle before turn-in, no brakes, and a longer apex. You should be able to scrub enough speed in corner entry to hold you through the corner.

Fresher tires will make it all much easier, of course.
how are you not braking, not lifting, yet scrubbing speed?

wondering what times you and velociraptor and drjimh are putting down on street tires at WGI in a GT4 so I have something to shoot for?

My PB on bone stock set-up with MPSC is 2:08 in GT4.
2:02 on street tires (Trofeo R) in GT3 with modest alignment and DSC.
Joe Mangan's data analysis for GT3RS (confirmed by Peter Argetsinger)also shows slight lift just before 2 and between 2 and 3 reduce "sliding/scrubbing" the tires across the track and lowers lap times -- maybe the higher hp/tq of his car (and perhaps my GT3 on Trofeo R's) require a lift compared to GT4?

I believe it must be a "leap if faith" not to lift in either a GT4, GT3 or RS, as I tend to see the faces of my wife and children, as the car gets light with the transitions at WOT in those 2 places

velociraptor--will you be there for Octoberfast PCA Niagara October 2-3? If so, can you ride with me?
Old 08-31-2017, 07:00 AM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

GT 3 is a bit different than a GT 4 in those areas...

Not currently. I go where folks hire me to coach. NNJR is hiring me for their advanced event 9/18-9/19 and renting me out...
Old 08-31-2017, 09:04 AM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
how are you not braking, not lifting, yet scrubbing speed?

wondering what times you and velociraptor and drjimh are putting down on street tires at WGI in a GT4 so I have something to shoot for?

My PB on bone stock set-up with MPSC is 2:08 in GT4.
2:02 on street tires (Trofeo R) in GT3 with modest alignment and DSC.
Joe Mangan's data analysis for GT3RS (confirmed by Peter Argetsinger)also shows slight lift just before 2 and between 2 and 3 reduce "sliding/scrubbing" the tires across the track and lowers lap times -- maybe the higher hp/tq of his car (and perhaps my GT3 on Trofeo R's) require a lift compared to GT4?

I believe it must be a "leap if faith" not to lift in either a GT4, GT3 or RS, as I tend to see the faces of my wife and children, as the car gets light with the transitions at WOT in those 2 places

velociraptor--will you be there for Octoberfast PCA Niagara October 2-3? If so, can you ride with me?
Any time you turn the wheel you scrub speed. The lift comes at the end of the short straight between 9 and 10 just before turn-in. For stability and grip, you want to be under light throttle from turn-in until you can get back to full power. It's once you are IN the corner that you don't want to lift...

A 2:08 in a GT4 on street tires is quick. Nothing shabby about that at all!

As VR said, GT3 and GT4 are different cars.

VR drove with me at the Glen last year. He's a great coach! I will use him every chance I get.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:31 AM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Thank you very much. It was a pleasure working with you!
Old 08-31-2017, 09:46 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Two Days coming in september! Thanks for the learning tool Bill!
I recommend buying this https://speedsecrets.com/virtual-track-walks/
Also, This week's Speed Secrets discusses turns 6 and 11 @ WGI. PM me your email and I can forward it to you.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:00 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
Any time you turn the wheel you scrub speed. The lift comes at the end of the short straight between 9 and 10 just before turn-in. For stability and grip, you want to be under light throttle from turn-in until you can get back to full power. It's once you are IN the corner that you don't want to lift...

A 2:08 in a GT4 on street tires is quick. Nothing shabby about that at all!

As VR said, GT3 and GT4 are different cars.

VR drove with me at the Glen last year. He's a great coach! I will use him every chance I get.
yes, I just barely brush the brakes to set the weight on the nose for better turn in grip at 10....ok, I misunderstood what you were saying (or was thinking it was turn 2 you were talking about)...definitely not lifting mid corner! thanks

GT4 still feels a little "understeery" going into 2 and again in the crossover between 2 and 3 at WOT...I lift ever so slightly because it feels as though the car "hops" sideways as you start to crest 2--->3, very disconcerting (maybe too early an apex at 2?)
Old 08-31-2017, 03:37 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

I've noticed that "Hop" myself. I've been making small adjustments to help with the understeer. Running rear bar full hard, front bar full soft, dropped front ride height 10mm. I liked the handling last weekend. I noticed minor rubbing on the RF which I hadn't seen before. Will be adding Tarett Thrust Arm Bushings to fix caster which I believe is causing the rubbing. The bad caster was caused by shimming the front LCA to get -2.8 camber.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:23 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Road America - 2:28.110 - 2 Sep 2017 - Hoosier R7 - Suspension mods

My very first time at Road America. The track reminds me of Spa-Franchorchamps. Fast, great flow, and huge attachments required. Still trying to find speed, as I know I'm leaving plenty on the table. Sadly, the video isn't working this weekend, so a screen shot from my MoTeC data will have to suffice.

Matt, please correct my prior entry. You've listed it as "Stone" Mountain. It's actually "Spring" Mountain.

Name:  Lar PB Road America 228pt1.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  375.6 KB
Old 09-04-2017, 09:57 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Road America - 2:28.110 - 2 Sep 2017 - Hoosier R7 - Suspension mods

My very first time at Road America. The track reminds me of Spa-Franchorchamps. Fast, great flow, and huge attachments required. Still trying to find speed, as I know I'm leaving plenty on the table. Sadly, the video isn't working this weekend, so a screen shot from my MoTeC data will have to suffice.

Matt, please correct my prior entry. You've listed it as "Stone" Mountain. It's actually "Spring" Mountain.
Got it posted 24, thanks for the submission - surprisingly our only one from Road America!

Updated Spring Mountain too -
Old 09-15-2017, 05:22 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Matt, can you add Mid Ohio? **edit-new time today-9/17/17**

first time here today in GT4, foggy and mist on track for first few sessions then warmed up nicely...

PB today was a 1:38.09 on 39 heat-cycled, RE-71's with alignment, TPC toe links and DSC V2
Predicted (virtual) PB was 1:35.32

Last edited by kfmcmahon; 09-17-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:59 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Another time to post driving in someone else's car. Lol.

I took the GT3 out out to thunderhill, but I brought up a set of GT4 wheels with 235/295 R7s mounted on them. My friend was nice enough to let me mount the wheels on her GT4 to let me do a break in run. I did 3 warm up laps, each lap 20 seconds faster, and on the 4th lap I gave it a go and then cooled back down. The one hot lap netted a new PB of 3:09.2 with 106F intake temps vs prior PB of 3:11.5 on RE71R and 80F intake temps. Will give the tires a real test in 2 weeks once the tires have 'cured'

Last edited by orthojoe; 09-19-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:24 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Welcome to the Hoosier "Crack Pipe". I've haven't figured out withdrawal.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:28 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
Lol. They are a big step up in grip for sure. How hooked I get depends on how long they last. Let's find out!
Old 09-16-2017, 07:57 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

No one here at Mid Ohio even bothering with R7's......most are going straight to scrub race slicks! Pirelli, Michelin, Hoosier, etc.

It's crazy...every fast car here (except one Lava GT3RS on MPSC2's) has full on race slicks, no DOT bull**** (I on the other hand have lowly RE-71's)
Old 09-16-2017, 08:00 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 508 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
Pirelli slicks..

Quick Reply: Best Track Times in a GT4