Sponsored by: APR

Best Track Times in a GT4

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 05:24 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Got it posted, fastest GT4 at VIR so far. I think this data qualifies as proof you did it. Congrats and thanks for sharing with us!

The format I'm using is:

Track / Elapsed Time / Driver / Date / Tires / & Mods
Thanks.
I just updated post to include mods and tires
Old 07-12-2016, 06:36 PM
jslee225
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice driving Jslee225!

Those RE-71s don't appear to like 95F OAT very much. Your times slowed the more laps you completed, normally the opposite. Nice driving and 2nd fastest COTA time so far.
Heat and traffic were the main culprits bc I believe 2:30 can be broken on street tires. Just need to gain more experience and improve my driving. Lots to learn for sure!
Old 07-12-2016, 06:55 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jslee225
Heat and traffic were the main culprits bc I believe 2:30 can be broken on street tires. Just need to gain more experience and improve my driving. Lots to learn for sure!
2:32 at Cota is very good for the temps we had and especially considering you have less than 10 track days under the belt, total. Correct? Good driving. I think you are also proving that the RE71R's are a bit faster than the Cup 2's. Definitely have some talent here...
Old 07-12-2016, 07:16 PM
jslee225
Racer

Originally Posted by myBailey07
2:32 at Cota is very good for the temps we had and especially considering you have less than 10 track days under the belt, total. Correct? Good driving. I think you are also proving that the RE71R's are a bit faster than the Cup 2's. Definitely have some talent here...
yup, thanks for the encouraging words! Only reason I was able to improve at COTA was b/c of all the secrets you told me! Thanks again for all the great advice

10 total track days with first event back in May 16. 2 Events at COTA / 5 total days. But I'm addicted! Where has this been all my life! I should have tried harder and made a ton more money when I was younger.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:47 PM
jslee225
Racer

Nice driving Jslee225!

Those RE-71s don't appear to like 95F OAT very much. Your times slowed the more laps you completed, normally the opposite. Nice driving and 2nd fastest COTA time so far.
Thanks! However, there are a lot faster GT4's on this forum that have broken 2:30 at COTA. They are just too humble to post about it unlike me
Old 07-12-2016, 08:38 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Thanks! However, there are a lot faster GT4's on this forum that have broken 2:30 at COTA. They are just too humble to post about it unlike me
Waiting for winter....
Old 07-13-2016, 08:07 AM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 277 Posts

+1, very nice driving! I'm a hack driver, but my best is only a high 32 on RE71R in much cooler weather.. and I have many more than 10 track days under my belt.

I was 3-4 seconds slower than normal during the heat in June at COTA, so you should be below 30 when it cools ... on street tires, which I haven't seen anybody do yet in a GT4!
Old 07-13-2016, 09:14 AM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm so surprised there are no times reported for Watkins Glen International.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:53 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ML///
I'm so surprised there are no times reported for Watkins Glen International.

here you go albeit slow:
WGI may 20th 2:18:24
dry
completely stock
mpsc2
Old 07-13-2016, 09:33 PM
jslee225
Racer

Originally Posted by electron mike
+1, very nice driving! I'm a hack driver, but my best is only a high 32 on RE71R in much cooler weather.. and I have many more than 10 track days under my belt.

I was 3-4 seconds slower than normal during the heat in June at COTA, so you should be below 30 when it cools ... on street tires, which I haven't seen anybody do yet in a GT4!
Thanks for the nice comments. It sure was hot out there and I'm looking forward to running in cooler temps for sure. But most of all, I can't wait to try ESC "off" next time

How long are the RE-71s lasting you at Cota? This last time around it only lasted me the weekend. Maybe that's just Cota for you
Old 07-13-2016, 10:00 PM
myBailey07
Pro

But most of all, I can't wait to try ESC "off" next time
Just be patient with the ESC "off", bud, I scanned your vid and it seemed to me that there were a few times where I bet the ESC helped keep you out of trouble a bit.

I am not noticing any material change in my lap times with it on vs off at cota. I tend to drive with it off, but have turned it back on after a full 720 degree, high speed spin to the outside of turn 19. Scared the crap out of me.

Cota has walls you can hit in turns where things tend to go wrong (T3-4,9,19,20).

I am truly not sure whether it is worth running with it off there, unless your car control skills are super and you are completely comfortable you can catch and control a sideways $100k car with walls nearby. I thought I was, until that one came around that simply took me along for the ride. The only reason I did not wreck that car was 'cause there was nothing to hit there. I do give myself credit for at least making sure the car goes to the outside of the turn, where there is open space, before I lost it. The rest was an eye opener.

Just my 2c.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:05 PM
jslee225
Racer

Just be patient with the ESC "off", bud, I scanned your vid and it seemed to me that there were a few times where I bet the ESC helped keep you out of trouble a bit.

I am not noticing any material change in my lap times with it on vs off at cota. I tend to drive with it off, but have turned it back on after a full 720 degree, high speed spin to the outside of turn 19. Scared the crap out of me.

Cota has walls you can hit in turns where things tend to go wrong (T3-4,9,19,20).

I am truly not sure whether it is worth running with it off there, unless your car control skills are super and you are completely comfortable you can catch and control a sideways $100k car with walls nearby. I thought I was, until that one came around that simply took me along for the ride. The only reason I did not wreck that car was 'cause there was nothing to hit there. I do give myself credit for at least making sure the car goes to the outside of the turn, where there is open space, before I lost it. The rest was an eye opener.

Just my 2c.
I was hoping no one noticed

Thanks for the advice. Since you didn't see much of a change anyway I think I'll keep it on for now.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:08 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Just my 2c.
Good advice, and I suggest not being in a hurry to go faster either - take it in increments. Being able to put down a quick lap time with limited seat time reflects natural ability, but the margin for error drops quickly as the limits of the car are approached, and beyond car control, drivers also need to be able to fix various kinds of errors and deal with atypical situations on track (eg, car spinning in front of you). Being a robust driver who can safely drive fast requires experience.

Last edited by Manifold; 07-14-2016 at 12:13 AM.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:26 AM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the nice comments. It sure was hot out there and I'm looking forward to running in cooler temps for sure. But most of all, I can't wait to try ESC "off" next time

How long are the RE-71s lasting you at Cota? This last time around it only lasted me the weekend. Maybe that's just Cota for you
My first set of RE71Rs have 4 track days at COTA on them (18 sessions), and surprisingly have life remaining (running 33 psi hot). Not sure if I can make two more days, so I might be sliding a bit more at Chin.

Did you only get two days out of a set?

Just my 2c.
I was chatting with the Bridgestone guys b/w T19 and T20 when you were on that wild ride. We all cringed during the tire screeching and then smiled when there was a soft landing. Glad you made it out ok!

Agree, I have had the car snap quickly on me a few times (of course all my fault) with the gizmos off and it sure kept me awake!
Old 07-14-2016, 12:32 AM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
Good advice, and I suggest not being in a hurry to go faster either - take it in increments. Being able to put down a quick lap time with limited seat time reflects natural ability, but the margin for error drops quickly as the limits of the car are approached, and beyond car control, drivers also need to be able to fix various kinds of errors and deal with atypical situations on track (eg, car spinning in front of you). Being a robust driver who can safely drive fast requires experience.
Very sound advice, almost Yoda-esque.

Quick Reply: Best Track Times in a GT4