Best Track Times in a GT4

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 11:14 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Nice driving, Lar!
Looks like you accidentally shifted into 6th instead of 4th going into T1? Probably lost a tenth or 2 there. Exit speeds must be high enough with R7 where you need to shift into 5th at the end of the straight, or maybe it's smoother to bounce off the rev limited for 4th since your time in 5th is so short?
Is there still a light tap on the brake for T8 or just a lift?
Man, i really need to recalibrate myself to take advantage of these tires. When I go back to RE71R I need to be careful not to drive myself off the track!

Do you bother with the single break in heat cycle and let the tires sit for a week so they grip longer, or am I just wasting my time?
Yes, you caught some of the mistakes I referred to in my posting. Going into 6th gear as I enter T1 was obviously a mistake. I meant to shift into 4th gear. It had been so long since I ran TH, I was very out of practice, so going to 5th gear on the front straight was sub-optimal. After dropping very nearly 7/10's the next morning, I am quite certain that I might even dip into the 55's if I can execute a perfect lap.

I do not subscribe to the scrub and store school of thought. I bolt them on and run them hard straight away. I shoot for 15 HC's or typically 3 days. For example, I was on track at Road America for 6 days straight, but only used 2 sets of tires. Of course, it was my first time there, but I felt the sun did more to slow me down rather than the tires. Hoosiers don't age well. They feel awful if you've got, say, 5 HC's on them and haven't used them in a week or two. It takes a few laps or more to get them soft and sticky again.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:24 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

We all know tires are the biggest factor when it comes to times.
I agree the tires can make a big difference, but I've been on track with many GT4s that have the whole compliment of intake plenum, throttle body, tune, headers, exhaust (or lack of), gearing, etc. Those make a huge difference as well. Maybe even more so than tires. Getting dropped like a stone at corner exit onto a long straight is gutting.

Matt, please keep the list as-is.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:57 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Yes, you caught some of the mistakes I referred to in my posting. Going into 6th gear as I enter T1 was obviously a mistake. I meant to shift into 4th gear. It had been so long since I ran TH, I was very out of practice, so going to 5th gear on the front straight was sub-optimal. After dropping very nearly 7/10's the next morning, I am quite certain that I might even dip into the 55's if I can execute a perfect lap.

I do not subscribe to the scrub and store school of thought. I bolt them on and run them hard straight away. I shoot for 15 HC's or typically 3 days. For example, I was on track at Road America for 6 days straight, but only used 2 sets of tires. Of course, it was my first time there, but I felt the sun did more to slow me down rather than the tires. Hoosiers don't age well. They feel awful if you've got, say, 5 HC's on them and haven't used them in a week or two. It takes a few laps or more to get them soft and sticky again.
Thanks for the insight!

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
I agree the tires can make a big difference, but I've been on track with many GT4s that have the whole compliment of intake plenum, throttle body, tune, headers, exhaust (or lack of), gearing, etc. Those make a huge difference as well. Maybe even more so than tires. Getting dropped like a stone at corner exit onto a long straight is gutting.

Matt, please keep the list as-is.
I'm gonna disagree with you on this one. It takes a lot of HP to make any sort of difference. There's about a 2 second difference between a GT3 and GT4. Put some R7s on a GT4 and you are running GT3 times. The 90hp differential is negated by R7s. I'm certain that those power modifications on a GT4 don't get you 90hp. Power mods buy you a few tenths, but tires buy you a few seconds.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:06 AM
provoste
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm gonna disagree with you on this one. It takes a lot of HP to make any sort of difference. There's about a 2 second difference between a GT3 and GT4. Put some R7s on a GT4 and you are running GT3 times. The 90hp differential is negated by R7s. I'm certain that those power modifications on a GT4 don't get you 90hp. Power mods buy you a few tenths, but tires buy you a few seconds.
Fact. Carrying 3-5 mph exit speed onto a straight never allow power to overcome that delta. Some of the Midwest & NE tracks (NCM, Putnam Park, VIR, WGI) with fresh pavement see a 3-5 second delta just going from RE71R to Hoosiers.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:17 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by provoste
Fact. Carrying 3-5 mph exit speed onto a straight never allow power to overcome that delta. Some of the Midwest & NE tracks (NCM, Putnam Park, VIR, WGI) with fresh pavement see a 3-5 second delta just going from RE71R to Hoosiers.
Yup. It's all about exit speed and how soon you are on that throttle
Old 09-20-2017, 12:31 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

My rough analysis finds:

1.8% lap time diff per 10% weight lost
1.3% per 10% power gain

(weight does more than power)

So on a two minute track, if you take 10% of your car's weight off, you'll lose about 2.16 seconds. Even just a second faster would require 5% weight reduction, or 150 pounds..

The 991.1 GT3 has 23% more power than the GT4, but weighs 4.8% more. So it's 3.59 seconds faster from power on a 2 min track, but 1.04 seconds slower from weight = 2.55 seconds faster at Thill, by my guess. (Assuming equal tires, aero, etc.)
Old 09-20-2017, 12:42 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Yargk
My rough analysis finds:

1.8% lap time diff per 10% weight lost
1.3% per 10% power gain

(weight does more than power)

So on a two minute track, if you take 10% of your car's weight off, you'll lose about 2.16 seconds. Even just a second faster would require 5% weight reduction, or 150 pounds..

The 991.1 GT3 has 23% more power than the GT4, but weighs 4.8% more. So it's 3.59 seconds faster from power on a 2 min track, but 1.04 seconds slower from weight = 2.55 seconds faster at Thill, by my guess. (Assuming equal tires, aero, etc.)
Interesting numbers, Keith. I'm pretty close to your calculations in reality. I would not have guessed that weight made that much of a difference.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:01 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Interesting numbers, Keith. I'm pretty close to your calculations in reality. I would not have guessed that weight made that much of a difference.
I'm not sure I'd expect it to be that much larger than the lap time change with power either. There's a lot going on: the way a car accelerates with a difference in power is different than a difference in weight (is the power increase "peaky?" A weight decrease helps at all rpms, but won't help top speed), tires work better with less weight on them (grip vs. normal force is actually slightly non-linear), and a weight decrease makes aero do more.

I was trying to figure out how power helped lap times by noting the percentage of a lap spent at full throttle and then using quarter mile calculators and differences in trap speed to see how the average speed between turns would be affected. Once I had this I actually used some of your GT3 and GT4 lap times to check it, but I had to have a term that accounted for the weight difference. Then I found this number on the internet: "Interesting data point: In a recent article discussing the new Ferrari 430 Scuderia a factory engineer is quoted saying that an 80kg (176lbs) weight reduction shaved 0.8sec off the car's Fiorano lap time (1min 25sec total). "
Old 09-20-2017, 10:26 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's it. I'm going on a diet. Probably easiest way to make things light when I drive my car 😬
Old 09-20-2017, 10:56 AM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Beantown makes a great point: make sure your set up compliments the tires you choose.

Weight is a huge factor. Its effect varies by track. On tracks with a lot of elevation change (like the Glen) or lots of slow corners followed by long acceleration zones (like COTA ), it can be as much as 0.75 seconds per mile per 100-150 lbs, depending on HP as well. Thus..:a 200 pound passenger can have a dramatic effect, for example.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:15 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I supposed where the location of the weight loss is can be important as well.

It is true that I'm consistently one second slower when I have a passenger in the car
Old 09-20-2017, 12:12 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 235 Posts

^^ Matt, 3:09.2, thill 5 mile on R7 in otherwise stock car (not mine, I was driving my friend's car)
Got it posted now.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:10 PM
sdillon
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Utah Motorsports Campus - Full

Got a 3:15.60 at Utah Motorsports Campus, the full track configuration last weekend. Matt - the earlier time you posted for me at UMC was for the outer configuration (there are actually four - east, west, outer, and full). Shims up front, toe links in back, and RE-71s on stock wheels. Otherwise stock.

Very interesting to read the discussion re: power and weight. I enjoy my car on the street so I'm not willing to rip too much out of it. On the other hand, there are so many corners I find myself in 3rd at 3500 rpm just waiting forever for it to spin up again. The cheap advice is to use 2nd, but it makes for a lot more shifting and also keeps me so near the top of the power that oversteer becomes a bit of an issue. I'd love some more midrange!
Old 09-20-2017, 05:13 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks for the insight!

loL...until the GT3 is on Pirelli slicks...never ending cycle
Old 09-20-2017, 05:14 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by DC640
That's it. I'm going on a diet. Probably easiest way to make things light when I drive my car ��
yes, me too...cheaper to drop 40lbs than swap out CF this and that....unfortunately i like beer to much

Quick Reply: Best Track Times in a GT4