Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 07:11 AM
LordLucan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
Simple test, ask them to put in writing. . Shouldn't be too hard for them to do that.
You’d be amazed how difficult it is to provide written rules or agreements, apparently!
Old 12-15-2018, 07:23 AM
LordLucan
Advanced

Originally Posted by BioBanker
I’m being told in Canada not to worry about the 3rd gear as Porsche will fix out of warranty, too. I don’t know how accurate that is but people in the know are saying it.

Im not worried. Every car has something that tends to go wrong and Id rather this transmission than most of the other Porsche problems.
No big deal, really. IF it ever becomes a problem and IF Porsche don’t fix it out of warranty, then you’ll just have to pay for it to be fixed. Running a nice car costs more than just putting fuel in it, as we all know.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:45 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Third gear is a go to gear - it is welded and not splined - sub par - the reason Porsche replace the whole box is because when a cog goes it sprays metal fillings through the box - knock effects etc.

Not a case of IF, if you push the cars as one should be able to do in a GT car. As per the marketing (I have become completely cynical about this as I know from experience that most modern 981/991 GT cars are polished and not driven hard - Porsche know this too)

Not good enough really - the failure rate as a percentage of production is high and everyone understands this.

As I said, if Porsche are straight they will put it in writing e.g. Acknowledge the design flaw in the third gear and offer to replace the box when it fails - it's been done hundreds of times already.

They won't do this as they are part of VAG a company that is clearly ethically compromised to such an extent that senior executives are being prosecuted.

Appalling lack of leadership.

Last edited by groundhog; 12-15-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:12 AM
IMOA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are loads of GT4s on carsales - people don't want them out of warranty in Australia - thanks to the very real third gear problem. A problem that should not occur in a 225k car. Hence you will see a ratio of around 14:1 GT4:981GTS on carsales.
if people are that worried about 3rd gear they’d pay 2k for another 2 years warranty. I’d say the reason there’s so many GT4’s for sale compared to GTS’s is a combination he fact the GT4 well outsold the GTS and the GTS replacement isn’t popular as a turbo 4 so those who did buy a GTS are holding on.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:31 PM
MrNurse
Pro

Hmm. I'm still contemplating whether I should go back to a GT4 when this comes out or if I will be disappointed again in the lack of power having recently owned a McLaren 12C and 997 Turbo. A turbo engine would be perfect bc then I can tune it.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:57 PM
WAY
Instructor

Originally Posted by AlpineR
New car price

i wouldn’t be too sure of that occurring in Aus, imo the 718 will move up from the 981 4 (when new) price by circa $40k so the price gap will still be significant between 981 and 718. It’s likely the 981Spyder will take a bigger hit given it’s current ask in the used market.
yeah agree with that. GT4s are already selling in $170-180k mark, so won’t go down significantly.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:05 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by IMOA
if people are that worried about 3rd gear they’d pay 2k for another 2 years warranty. I’d say the reason there’s so many GT4’s for sale compared to GTS’s is a combination he fact the GT4 well outsold the GTS and the GTS replacement isn’t popular as a turbo 4 so those who did buy a GTS are holding on.
So you believe there were 14 X more 981GT4s made than 981GTS . I think its more likely the market has spoken, over here a GT4 new was 225k a GT3 is 400k - very different to the US market where a GT3 is ~ 160k. At our price points buyers don't want the risk of failure (in a GT4 or 991.1 GT3). Its a matter of common sense in my view. Also, this is further compounded by the imminent release of the 718GT4. Why get caught holding a car out of warranty with a known problem.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:23 AM
LordLucan
Advanced

So you believe there were 14 X more 981GT4s made than 981GTS . I think its more likely the market has spoken, over here a GT4 new was 225k a GT3 is 400k - very different to the US market where a GT3 is ~ 160k. At our price points buyers don't want the risk of failure (in a GT4 or 991.1 GT3). Its a matter of common sense in my view. Also, this is further compounded by the imminent release of the 718GT4. Why get caught holding a car out of warranty with a known problem.
Because it’s a great car. If it happens, get it fixed - so what. If you can only just afford a particular car, you can’t actually afford it at all.
With your approach, you’re going to deny yourself ownership of great cars just because they’re out of warranty.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:11 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by LordLucan

Because it’s a great car. If it happens, get it fixed - so what. If you can only just afford a particular car, you can’t actually afford it at all.
With your approach, you’re going to deny yourself ownership of great cars just because they’re out of warranty.
10k to 15k fix for replacement - pointless when there's a new one being released in a few weeks time. Most vehicles fail eventually but these don't - they fail all the time - pointless exercise given the 981GT4 is has been well and truly bypassed by many others including the 718GT4 - moreover they won't retain value unless Porsche does what it should have done a long time ago. Commercial reality - hold Porsche to task.

No point defending the indefensible.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:40 AM
IMOA
Instructor

Just for understanding I’m Sydney based and my GT4 has recently been in for its three year service where I extended the warranty. As an owner I think I’ve got a pretty good understanding of how much they cost. In terms of sales no, not 14:1 but the GT4 did massively outsell the GTS, did have a different owner profile (far more people buying for short term) and the new GT4 is coming out soon with an NA engine whereas the new GTS had the turbo 4 so GTS owners are hanging on whereas GT4 owners are looking for the last in the line. There’s a number of good reasons why there’s a bunch of GT4’s being sold atm, fear of the gearbox failure when warranty extension is less than the cost of 2 tyres isn’t high on the list.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:46 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Any statistics on GT4 3rd gear failures? When “fixed” under warranty, is the fix done with a more robust solution or just replacement with the same problematic transmission? Is the 981 Spyder and Boxster vulnerable to the same problem (same transmission)?
Old 12-16-2018, 11:36 AM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Any statistics on GT4 3rd gear failures? When “fixed” under warranty, is the fix done with a more robust solution or just replacement with the same problematic transmission? Is the 981 Spyder and Boxster vulnerable to the same problem (same transmission)?
There are two threads stickied that have all those details. Worth a look if you're curious.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:21 PM
LordLucan
Advanced

10k to 15k fix for replacement - pointless when there's a new one being released in a few weeks time. Most vehicles fail eventually but these don't - they fail all the time - pointless exercise given the 981GT4 is has been well and truly bypassed by many others including the 718GT4 - moreover they won't retain value unless Porsche does what it should have done a long time ago. Commercial reality - hold Porsche to task.

No point defending the indefensible.
Each to their own. Aus$10k (if that’s what it costs) to fix wouldn’t put me off a 981 GT4 in the slightest. Think you’re making a mountain out of a mole hill. Try owning a McLaren 12C (or any Mclaren for that matter) or a Gallardo or even a 997 GTS (the list goes on) - all lovely cars, all with their little “foibles”!
Just get yourself a Lexus - I hear not much goes wrong on those!
Old 12-16-2018, 01:59 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by MrNurse
Hmm. I'm still contemplating whether I should go back to a GT4 when this comes out or if I will be disappointed again in the lack of power having recently owned a McLaren 12C and 997 Turbo. A turbo engine would be perfect bc then I can tune it.
i think that it depends on how you drive and where you get your thrills. I had a high power tuned 996turbo before the GT4 and used so little of what power was available that who cares what the peak was. GT4 power is super usable on the street. I don’t have that OMG shift to hyper speed moment that the turbo had merging into a highway or something, but I find GT4 power plenty for my use and I don’t miss the excess power. But I didn’t use it - you may.

I wanted a 12c so badly when I bought my GT4. I just couldn’t bring myself to do it. Al the time GT4s were c$130k and 12c on a good deal was c$185k. That gap has closed ALOT. Minimum service costs with warranty totalled $11k a year in the 12c too. Between that and the feared depreciation curve, I couldn’t stomach it and bought the GT4. Still want a McLaren badly.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:49 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by BioBanker

i think that it depends on how you drive and where you get your thrills. I had a high power tuned 996turbo before the GT4 and used so little of what power was available that who cares what the peak was. GT4 power is super usable on the street. I don’t have that OMG shift to hyper speed moment that the turbo had merging into a highway or something, but I find GT4 power plenty for my use and I don’t miss the excess power. But I didn’t use it - you may.

I wanted a 12c so badly when I bought my GT4. I just couldn’t bring myself to do it. Al the time GT4s were c$130k and 12c on a good deal was c$185k. That gap has closed ALOT. Minimum service costs with warranty totalled $11k a year in the 12c too. Between that and the feared depreciation curve, I couldn’t stomach it and bought the GT4. Still want a McLaren badly.
my dad bought a 12C new, and finally gave up on it this past summer. He estimated he spent almost $90k during his ownership experience. No thanks.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?