Sponsored by: APR

GT4 RS in the works? Rumors of a 4.0...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 02:17 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 571 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
My post was if they actually build the GT4 RS.....the current Porsche models you mention all fall in a specific bracket in PAGs strategy. A GT4RS would be very close to a GT3 in terms of pricing....unless they dilute the RS treatment on the GT4 considerably so if falls right between GT4 and GT3....
There's a big price gap between the last gen GT4 and last gen GT3 that would fit a GT4RS nicely and perf would be adjusted to fit in-line with pricing as Porsche has always done.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:01 PM
drwuss
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does this make you guys think? His answer at 2:40 though not directly related to topic is pretty cool.

https://drivetribe.com/p/N1iJceABSqW...RoSJglZllp-FSA
Old 03-17-2017, 07:08 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,477 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
There's a big price gap between the last gen GT4 and last gen GT3 that would fit a GT4RS nicely and perf would be adjusted to fit in-line with pricing as Porsche has always done.

Sure.... not with the 4.0L engine that everybody was dreaming about in this thread. Part of the cost of the GT3/RS is the engine which is develop by the Motorsports Dept just for the GTs. That's just the engine if they get creative in other area with a GT4RS you bump the price even more. Now if you just do a X51 power kit of the current Gt4 engine and shed a few pounds then maybe you could have a GT4rS slotted right between GT4 and GT3.

Remember, when you develop parts you have to spread cost over all the units you plan to sell...the current GT4 was able to achieve a nice price point (By PAG standards anyway) because they basically used the 9A1 engine, used in various versions of the 911, and various items from the GT3, so they ended up developing just a few specific items and modifications just for the GT4.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:02 AM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 571 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Sure.... not with the 4.0L engine that everybody was dreaming about in this thread. Part of the cost of the GT3/RS is the engine which is develop by the Motorsports Dept just for the GTs. That's just the engine if they get creative in other area with a GT4RS you bump the price even more. Now if you just do a X51 power kit of the current Gt4 engine and shed a few pounds then maybe you could have a GT4rS slotted right between GT4 and GT3.

Remember, when you develop parts you have to spread cost over all the units you plan to sell...the current GT4 was able to achieve a nice price point (By PAG standards anyway) because they basically used the 9A1 engine, used in various versions of the 911, and various items from the GT3, so they ended up developing just a few specific items and modifications just for the GT4.
So you're saying two contradictory things. PAG spreads cost by reusing components such as engines, but they won't be reusing the 4L engine developed for GTs for the GT4 and instead use an engine they are no longer building.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:50 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I heard that they were going to make the gt4 clubsport road legal. That for me would awesome. I'd sell the manual 3rd gear failing pos in a heart beat
Old 03-18-2017, 07:02 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

And Porsche owns the track day crowd for people that need some form of usability besides being a dedicated track car.

Other than performance, maintenance requirements to maintain warranty also plays a big part. No one else provides such a product. Lotus possibly comes closest with their cup offering, but warranty on track is iffy and only lasts for a year in any case.

To do all that on a regular production line is their genius. I just wished they build more of them so the actual loyalists i.e. Track rats can get them at list. Instead of this speculator nonsense
Old 03-18-2017, 07:24 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
So you're saying two contradictory things. PAG spreads cost by reusing components such as engines, but they won't be reusing the 4L engine developed for GTs for the GT4 and instead use an engine they are no longer building.

No....the nature that the GT3 engine is used in fewer units makes it a lot more expensive and doing 1000-2000 GT4 RS wont change that a lot, you need a lot more volume to drop the price considerably to slot it between current models. That's just looking at it from the financial side....they could also bump the price just not to annoy those GT3 customers that would feel bad if the GT4 RS would be too close to their GT3s. An on the 9A1 we are assuming this right? I don't have the data but the new Turbo engine, is it based on the 9A1? Maybe a N/A variation of the turbo engine is possible? Depends on how modular this engine is to accept various components.

Hey...I do really hope they use the detuned 4L but if I look at it from a business point of view the chance are very slim...well, AP already mentioned it's not happening at least on the next couple of years, so lets see what they do for the next GT4.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:26 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by khooni
And Porsche owns the track day crowd for people that need some form of usability besides being a dedicated track car.

Other than performance, maintenance requirements to maintain warranty also plays a big part. No one else provides such a product. Lotus possibly comes closest with their cup offering, but warranty on track is iffy and only lasts for a year in any case.

To do all that on a regular production line is their genius. I just wished they build more of them so the actual loyalists i.e. Track rats can get them at list. Instead of this speculator nonsense

Totally Agree! And on this side Lotus is not an Option....
Old 03-19-2017, 03:11 PM
cmosman
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Wouldn't we expect an increased displacement / power / torque 718S engine in the GT4RS or even one with the same displacement, but a bi-turbo? The NA's are on the way out and the 718 platform was designed around a turbo-4 engine.

The next obvious step will be a turbo hybrid, and there will be no way for the NA's to even compete. Think of the 919 2.0/4 turbo hybrid being the fastest sports car there is right now. Will make for a good marketing message, too.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:12 PM
Blackpony
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default GT4 RS in the works? Rumors of a 4.0...

A PCA Friend of mine tracks both his 2016 GT3 RS and GT4. He frequently "bests" GT3's on the track with the GT4. For 2017 he installed a 4.0 RS+ horsepower engine in his GT4! I am looking forward to this summers events. He tracked his Automobile Lamborghini Huracán at non-Porsche events. Time will tell on the GT4 RS 4.0. My Porsche dealer has my name is on the list for a GT4 RS.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:25 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cmosman
Wouldn't we expect an increased displacement / power / torque 718S engine in the GT4RS or even one with the same displacement, but a bi-turbo? The NA's are on the way out and the 718 platform was designed around a turbo-4 engine.

The next obvious step will be a turbo hybrid, and there will be no way for the NA's to even compete. Think of the 919 2.0/4 turbo hybrid being the fastest sports car there is right now. Will make for a good marketing message, too.

All rumors, interviews with AP and info out of PAG point to keeping N/A power on anything GT3/4, at least for the upcoming models......but then again.....things could change. Will see.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:41 PM
user1029
Drifting

Received 561 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by drwuss
What does this make you guys think? His answer at 2:40 though not directly related to topic is pretty cool.

https://drivetribe.com/p/N1iJceABSqW...RoSJglZllp-FSA
He makes it sound driving a GT3 is better than sex

GT3 owners - is this true
Old 03-19-2017, 03:43 PM
user1029
Drifting

Received 561 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackpony
For 2017 he installed a 4.0 RS+ horsepower engine in his GT4!
holy ****, which shop did he go to
Old 03-19-2017, 05:14 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 804 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackpony
For 2017 he installed a 4.0 RS+ horsepower engine in his GT4!

The very definition of F U money.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:19 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by user1029
holy ****, which shop did he go to
i'm guessing this is the car that BGB just finished up with?

Quick Reply: GT4 RS in the works? Rumors of a 4.0...