Sponsored by: APR

GT4 RS in the works? Rumors of a 4.0...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 11:34 AM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

Received 217 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Agreed Joe. The R had problems without mods and even then they wouldn't go away completely. PDK versions were worse than manual.

@mrd_spy

The GT4 is already available with a PDK; its called GT4 Clubsport.
I don't count race cars as cars you can buy
Old 03-14-2017, 12:58 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
in the UK we don't tend to over heat and It's open pit lane so no bigs stints out on track, 4 or 5 laps, come in rest 30 mins 4 or 5 laps.

you guys tend to do many laps in one go.
I was at Sebring this weekend DMTD so open track. I did a session for a full tank (50-55 mins 19 laps) loved it. car loves it tires(RE71R) were at 32-33 whole session; nothing overheated. outside temps where low 80F

I set my personal best on lap 14 which is about 44 minutes into a session....
Old 03-14-2017, 01:28 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

My Spyder runs the 6 pot calipers also, it's very over braked, in the UK we don't tend to over heat and It's open pit lane so no bigs stints out on track, 4 or 5 laps, come in rest 30 mins 4 or 5 laps.

thing is NONE of these cars are real race cars, look at the work every one is doing to the GT4, spending £1000's to battle understeer and tyre wear, YOU have spent more on the GT4 than the Spyder ;-) lol

here in the UK one guy has just gone for the Manthey CS 3 ways on his road going GT4, I went in that at the weekend and zero dive !!! but BIG ££££

I still have my Spyder, but run the R as a daily and my GT4 also, SPyder is now fun only road use, R is my daily, and the GT4 now modded with some choice parts is the hooning car and track use.

BUT nothing out the box ever works ......
i think you're hitting the proverbial nail on the head. even a gt4 is not a race car, and as a track car it needs work to get right. Also as a track car it gets beat up quite a bit, and it's not like it can give you that feeling that a stripped out mazda miata can. I haven't done the math, but i would surmise that you could even reach the cost of a gt4 clubsport after you're done messing with your regular gt4 for the track.

This weekend I'll be at Atlanta Motorsports Park as a guest driver, with some really extreme cars which I already drove there, P1, 918, 675LT.. we're even taking the 911R... and best of all the new arrival to the collection.. a gt4 clubsport. I'm going to let all the buddies who love the hypercars jump into the big money carbon machines.. I'll just wait my turn in the gt4 clubsport on slicks.. THAT thing is really getting me excited, more than anything else in fact.

The whole idea of road car for the track doesn't make as much sense to me as it used to.. buy the road car for the road, and buy whatever I can afford for the track... more fun, less worry.. and maybe even less $ overall.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:08 PM
trebien
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
The whole idea of road car for the track doesn't make as much sense to me as it used to.. buy the road car for the road, and buy whatever I can afford for the track... more fun, less worry.. and maybe even less $ overall.
Agreed. Those Radicals look fun...
Old 03-14-2017, 02:10 PM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

this 100%, road cars are great on the road and pretty **** on track lol I gave this race car for the road stuff up 10 years a go, it does seem pointless.

slicks and -3.5 camber on full monoballs arms yes far more exciting than any road legal car, have fun ;-)
Old 03-14-2017, 02:38 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
i think you're hitting the proverbial nail on the head. even a gt4 is not a race car, and as a track car it needs work to get right. Also as a track car it gets beat up quite a bit, and it's not like it can give you that feeling that a stripped out mazda miata can. I haven't done the math, but i would surmise that you could even reach the cost of a gt4 clubsport after you're done messing with your regular gt4 for the track.

This weekend I'll be at Atlanta Motorsports Park as a guest driver, with some really extreme cars which I already drove there, P1, 918, 675LT.. we're even taking the 911R... and best of all the new arrival to the collection.. a gt4 clubsport. I'm going to let all the buddies who love the hypercars jump into the big money carbon machines.. I'll just wait my turn in the gt4 clubsport on slicks.. THAT thing is really getting me excited, more than anything else in fact.

Woah, woah, woah, WOAH. You and I are WORLD's apart on this one, my friend.

1) To get a GT4 track ready, you only need suspension components and a safety components. You are still MILES away from getting close to the cost of a clubsport.
2) A stripped out spec Miata is a total piece of garbage compared to driving a GT car on track. Not even close. Spec Miata makes sense when you are in COMPETITION
3) Slicks in a DE environment is not the way to dive into things for MANY reasons
4) For many of us, a car that you can drive to and from the track, that will be fun and reliable is a rare, but perfect thing. Porsche excels at this. Trailering is a PITA and not worth the hassle for many of us.
5) My 'beat up' GT3 and GT4 are still ROCK solid. The GT3 has 60 track days and it has no creaks or squeaks, and it still drives like a dream on the street

You are basically saying that GT cars serve no purpose, and I totally disagree

Last edited by orthojoe; 03-14-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:41 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 131 Posts

And then there is the issue of safety systems, full cage, etc. Always better on a real race car.

But the issue is trailering a car to the track. My Lotus is reliable on the track (took a few mods but not bad) and wears all the tires evenly (double wishbones all around). But because it is driven on the street, I cannot put a cage in it. This means I have to drive at 8/10ths maximum to help reduce the risk.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:44 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

what Joe says.... +100
Old 03-14-2017, 04:48 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,062 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I never had an issue though because I had big pccb calipers running iron rotors.
Same here with PCCB calipers on the GT4 iron rotors. Six track days and the GiroDisc rotors don't show any cracking.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:31 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

My Spyder runs the 6 pot calipers also, it's very over braked, in the UK we don't tend to over heat and It's open pit lane so no bigs stints out on track, 4 or 5 laps, come in rest 30 mins 4 or 5 laps.

thing is NONE of these cars are real race cars, look at the work every one is doing to the GT4, spending £1000's to battle understeer and tyre wear, YOU have spent more on the GT4 than the Spyder ;-) lol

here in the UK one guy has just gone for the Manthey CS 3 ways on his road going GT4, I went in that at the weekend and zero dive !!! but BIG ££££

I still have my Spyder, but run the R as a daily and my GT4 also, SPyder is now fun only road use, R is my daily, and the GT4 now modded with some choice parts is the hooning car and track use.

BUT nothing out the box ever works ......
Actually the 991 GT3 is good to go out of the box. None of the mods that I have done to the car are 'required' for a setup that works.

Yes, I was disappointed to see that the GT4 required more suspension components than the spyder. That was surprising to me. The GT3 has required the least. That car is pretty much good to go out of the box, actually.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:20 AM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

but the 991 GT3 is dull on track imo due to PDK, brake, turn in accelerate repeat it's very dull.

I cannot work out why people pay do it ! lol

Some times less is more and a drive in my R on a winding road far out weighs any track time In a modern road car, also these newer cars cost ££ to run circa £1k a track day.

Maybe 10 or so years ago when I did loads of track day in my Exige I got it out my system, but these days I find track days quite dull, I go more to meet mates and a chat about cars.

Added to which in the UK NO timing is allowed, you always get held up by poor driven cars (mainly PDK ones) and most tracks have low noise limits which most new cars go over !

Then you get to new cars road speeds and think to yourself "what am I buying" a car way way too fast for the road in the 1st place to enjoy, I love my Cayman R it does hit a sweet spot for road use and steering feel no new Porker can match.
LESS is sometime more :-)
Old 03-15-2017, 10:12 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

IMO: After owning and driving both for over a year on track, I would have to say that the GT3 is more fun than the GT4 because of the engine AND the tranny. I still love both, but if I had to choose one, it would be the 3. The 4 taught me more and made me a better driver, but the 3 is an eye opener. All this talk of pdk being boring is legit for street driving, but not on track. If you honestly think the 991 GT3 is a point and squirt car, you're not driving it fast enough. That being said, I don't disagree with you that the caymanR is still a great car that hits a nice balance. I still miss my spyder....
Old 03-15-2017, 11:44 AM
kiger0183
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
1) To get a GT4 track ready, you only need suspension components and a safety components. You are still MILES away from getting close to the cost of a clubsport.
What suspension components do you feel are necessary to get it track ready? Safety components - I assume a roll bar?
Old 03-15-2017, 12:25 PM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

but the 991 GT3 is dull on track imo due to PDK, brake, turn in accelerate repeat it's very dull.

I cannot work out why people pay do it ! lol

Some times less is more and a drive in my R on a winding road far out weighs any track time In a modern road car, also these newer cars cost ££ to run circa £1k a track day.

Maybe 10 or so years ago when I did loads of track day in my Exige I got it out my system, but these days I find track days quite dull, I go more to meet mates and a chat about cars.

Added to which in the UK NO timing is allowed, you always get held up by poor driven cars (mainly PDK ones) and most tracks have low noise limits which most new cars go over !

Then you get to new cars road speeds and think to yourself "what am I buying" a car way way too fast for the road in the 1st place to enjoy, I love my Cayman R it does hit a sweet spot for road use and steering feel no new Porker can match.
LESS is sometime more :-)
Wow.
So I did a few track sessions for "tuning" purposes, and yes with no timing its rather boring. Just burn around until you either have no tyres or you feel car sick. You cant tell if your going faster or slower and there is no incentive to go 10/10ths.

Absolutely no comparison to timed Sprint events as part of a year long competition where you compete against club mates in all kinds of Porsche cars, even trailered stripped out race cars. Eeking out 0.1sec where ever possible and working out what you did right or wrong to improve is a lot of fun. Its makes for a lot of very good drivers in the end and its a buzz when you can punch way above your expected weight.
Some times it like being in an F1 Qually, when the track starts out wet and the tail enders get top times only to be knocked off by the next round and so on.
Save
Old 03-15-2017, 12:54 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,380 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by kiger0183
What suspension components do you feel are necessary to get it track ready? Safety components - I assume a roll bar?
That all depends on your definition of track ready. You most likely need toe links to get the correct toe for increased camber. For increased camber you have a choice of shims or top plates. Then some may still want caster bushings; again due to camber increase.

Quick Reply: GT4 RS in the works? Rumors of a 4.0...